Marat Interviews - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-07-2004, 06:24 PM   #61
country flag Shadow

Shadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re: Marat Interviews

you girls have the real clue
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2004, 05:58 AM   #62
tall_one

tall_one has a reputation beyond reputetall_one has a reputation beyond reputetall_one has a reputation beyond reputetall_one has a reputation beyond reputetall_one has a reputation beyond reputetall_one has a reputation beyond reputetall_one has a reputation beyond reputetall_one has a reputation beyond reputetall_one has a reputation beyond reputetall_one has a reputation beyond reputetall_one has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marat Interviews

Transcript - Anastasia Myskina and Marat Safin (Russia)
8 January 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marat, are you surprised at yourself – how well you’re playing?

(Safin) Yeah. Yes I am.

What mostly?

(Safin) The way that I can fight and that I found my game quite fast since that I’m not playing since almost a year. So it’s quite impressive for me to play so well.

Marat, how is your wrist; you had problems with it last year?

(Safin) Yeah, it’s getting better. Actually, yesterday I had some problems with the wrist again but now it’s gone so it was okay. During the match it didn’t bother me at all.

What problems did you have yesterday; was it sore?

(Safin) Same thing. Just the sort of same thing. It started to hurt a little bit in some shots from the backhand but now it’s good.

Were you surprised at how well he returned your 200 km serves?

(Safin) Umm, I’m not surprised – he’s number 13 in the world – he should do something. Of course he’s a great player, I mean he’s on tour since long time ago and he knows how to play the guys with the big serve and also he’s playing doubles. So one of his most dangerous parts of the game is the return.

Anastasia, a tight match for you…

(Myskina) Yeah, pretty…the second set especially. I think she started to play a little bit better and I lost a little bit of concentration. So it was a happy end for me.

Good to get that kind of a challenge at this early stage of the season to get you going.

(Myskina) Yeah, definitely. The second match was much better than the first one and we’ll see what’s going to happen this year, but (I have) many goals and look forward to this year.

Marat, do you think that’s the sort of match you could imagine yourself losing before your new philosophy of trying for each point and just see what happens?

(Safin) Yeah, he had opportunity, I mean, he was a set and a break up, but then I made the real break very fast so probably he just lost a little bit of concentration; I returned quite well. I had so many opportunities to make the break in the first set – in the beginning of the first set – and the second set I have a couple of 0-30’s, but I couldn’t make it because he was playing well. He had some…sometimes he hit the line, he played very good points, and I couldn’t push myself to do something else because I was just…I was worrying so important for me to make my break that I was a little bit under pressure, but then just I had opportunity and another chance and I did it. Then it quite much easier for me to return his serve and just stay in the match.

Do you think this might be a tactic that can really work in your favour, whereas in the past people, players might have thought “well, I’ll just keep it in for another few minutes and Marat will get crazy, or he’ll give up”…?

(Safin) It will not happen again, I think. I hope so.

Now tomorrow’s match with the USA is a virtual semi-final; how do you feel about that?

(Safin) Great; prepared. I mean, she’s playing well (referring to Myskina), me too. We’re trying and just we have the opportunity to get in the finals so it’s a big time match…it’s going to be tomorrow. I mean she has a chance to beat against Lindsay (Davenport). I will have to be tough against James Blake and I think we have a chance – we have a big chance.

Anastasia, how do you feel about it?

(Myskina) Umm, positive. We played good, really good today. Like Marat said, we really have a good chance to be in the final here and it only depends how we’re going to play I guess. Like, if we’re going to do our best on the court tomorrow we’re going to be in Saturday here also.

What are your plans for playing next week?

(Safin) Vacations.

It’s been a long year… (laughs)

(Safin) It has…it’s good enough to play a couple of matches; play well and you can rest.

experience DENIAL
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=76493

tall_one is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 08:52 AM   #63
country flag maratski

maratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond repute

Vacations next week

Member of the unofficial international Mohamed Lahyani fanclub
maratski is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 09:05 AM   #64
country flag Jessi

Jessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond repute

its been a long year

Nice interview. Thanks Nicki!
v vvvvvvv vvvvvv

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." ~ John Lennon
Jessi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 09:57 AM   #65
country flag Cris

Cris has a reputation beyond reputeCris has a reputation beyond reputeCris has a reputation beyond reputeCris has a reputation beyond reputeCris has a reputation beyond reputeCris has a reputation beyond reputeCris has a reputation beyond reputeCris has a reputation beyond reputeCris has a reputation beyond reputeCris has a reputation beyond reputeCris has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Nicki!
Old 01-09-2004, 12:55 PM   #66
country flag Shadow

Shadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond repute

LOL Marat

thanks for the interview
Old 01-09-2004, 04:08 PM   #67
country flag Lady

Lady has a reputation beyond reputeLady has a reputation beyond reputeLady has a reputation beyond reputeLady has a reputation beyond reputeLady has a reputation beyond reputeLady has a reputation beyond reputeLady has a reputation beyond reputeLady has a reputation beyond reputeLady has a reputation beyond reputeLady has a reputation beyond reputeLady has a reputation beyond repute

Transcript - Anastasia Myskina and Marat Safin (Russia)
9 January 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disappointing finish to the week, Marat?

(Safin) Why, why…why you so positive? (laughs)

Today, if you had won you’d be in the final…

(Safin) Yeah…but if, I mean we had our chance. I had my chance in my match; I couldn’t take it, but it’s basically it’s okay. The way I’m playing it’s…I’m satisfied and we just have to work on some things. I have another extra week before the Australian Open and she (Myskina) is heading to Sydney…so basically it’s for the great preparation. She had some great matches, so she has to work on some things also. I will not say that it was terrible. What’s the point? It’s okay….you have also to find out positive sides of these matches.

Will you just practice next week in Melbourne?

(Safin) Yeah.

If someone was needed at Kooyong, you might put your hand up?

(Safin) No, no – it’s enough; three matches for me.

What particular part of your game do you feel you need to work on?

(Safin) No, but just you know, you have to do some fitness…some, a little bit more fitness would be great and just because it’s going to be five sets. Play some, a couple of sets with other guys that they’re going to come to Melbourne to practice and just no more things…nothing special, but just get used to, because I’m not playing Sydney or Auckland…so I have to do the same…basically the same things – play some other matches with practice.

Anastasia, do you feel that you found your form as the week progressed?

(Myskina) I think it was a great week even that I lose two matches. I lose to Lindsay (Davenport) and Amelie (Mauresmo) and they’re great players, and I think I played pretty good. I mean, it’s okay. It’s the beginning of the season, it’s not that bad, so I’m really happy with this week. That’s the only bad thing; that we’re not in the final.

So do you go to Sydney tomorrow morning?

(Myskina) Yeah, I do….I do play Sydney.

Marat, how many are in your entourage – you have your coach, you have Walter for fitness…who else do you travel with?

(Safin) How many people are you wanting me to travel with?

Are there any others?

(Safin) No, no, no – it’s enough – two persons is enough for me. I have no more power for more people. No, I think it’s really enough.

What do you make of the Greg Rusedski drug test today?

(Safin) He’s not guilty yet so what can we say? Just some people accuse him and he said that he didn’t do anything wrong so basically we will see. There is a hearing, I don’t know, it’s in February or something like that, so we’ll see if it will be positive or not.

Is there, to your knowledge, very much drug use in tennis?

(Safin) I don’t know, but those of you have to understand one thing…it’s umm…because nobody actually knows but, for example, when somebody is buying vitamins or these kind of minerals that is not any drugs – you know what I’m talking about…whatever they write on…some companies, when you buy a bottle, they write outside what is the ingredients inside. And probably sometimes they mess it up and don’t write all the ingredients that there are inside. So basically then you discover that you are getting positive. So you have to be careful and you have to be, you know, really check. But it’s…it can happen to anybody. I don’t know in this case but it’s just one of the examples.

Anastasia, Marat – how many times were you tested last year?

(Safin) (i guess it's Nastya's answer )All the time. Every grand slam and especially in the Fed Cup…even three times during the Fed Cup in two days. Yeah, and just they can take you anywhere anytime because before Olympics Games they really kind of pay attention right now to anybody…so they can come in when it’s your home and take you there.

Lindsay and James said about…at least 10 times each – would that be right for you two as well?

(Myskina) Yeah.

(Safin) Well, I was out…I wasn’t playing last year.

(Myskina) For me, yeah. I was given maybe ten times.
Old 01-10-2004, 11:31 PM   #68
country flag Jessi

Jessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond reputeJessi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Lady
v vvvvvvv vvvvvv

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." ~ John Lennon
Jessi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 06:46 PM   #69
country flag Kiara

Kiara has a reputation beyond reputeKiara has a reputation beyond reputeKiara has a reputation beyond reputeKiara has a reputation beyond reputeKiara has a reputation beyond reputeKiara has a reputation beyond reputeKiara has a reputation beyond reputeKiara has a reputation beyond reputeKiara has a reputation beyond reputeKiara has a reputation beyond reputeKiara has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re: Re: Marat Interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelgianWaffle

Screencaps of the monaco interview are up on TGFR.
at Marat's feet.. I guess he's not perfect after all
ugh that put me off dinner.....ick.... ...ick Im reliving lisbon.
Kiara is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 07:01 PM   #70
country flag maratski

maratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond repute

lisbon was nasty

Old 01-19-2004, 12:21 PM   #71
tall_one

tall_one has a reputation beyond reputetall_one has a reputation beyond reputetall_one has a reputation beyond reputetall_one has a reputation beyond reputetall_one has a reputation beyond reputetall_one has a reputation beyond reputetall_one has a reputation beyond reputetall_one has a reputation beyond reputetall_one has a reputation beyond reputetall_one has a reputation beyond reputetall_one has a reputation beyond repute

THE MODERATOR: First question, please.

Q. How did the first match go for you today? How did you feel?

MARAT SAFIN: It was good. I mean, for first match, win in four sets, it was okay for a long time off, being outside the court. It's the first Grand Slam since last year in the Australian Open. It was quite okay. I mean, the first match is always tough.

Q. How do you feel physically for this tournament?

MARAT SAFIN: I mean, it's difficult to like make some conclusions about my fitness, about my physical conditions. It's just the first match. I will see how it's going in the future. A couple of matches more I hope I can play here, then I can see how physically I'm playing and what should I work on during this year.

Q. How about mentally, how confident are you?

MARAT SAFIN: I mean, I played -- since the beginning of the year I played four matches; I won three and I lost one. So basically, I'm pretty calm.

I mean, it's going quite well but sometimes you get frustrated because you think you can finish in three sets and then you're losing the second set and basically the guy was taking me over in the third set.

But, I mean, it's still okay because I was still there in the match. I was playing my game, trying to do everything as possible, even in the tough situations.

I think I'm not too bad for the beginning. Not too bad.

Q. What are your expectations for the Australian Open? What do you feel like you can do here?

MARAT SAFIN: I mean, I didn't come here for just make a couple of rounds and just being satisfied of being in the fourth round or in the second round or whatever I will do here. If I'm coming here, I will try to do all my best. I will try to win it, why not? I mean, I had a lot of months off off the court, but still I want to play and I have motivation. I want to do well.

For me, it's like a big opportunity, an opportunity to do well during this year, all the year, if I don't get injured.

Q. How frustrating was last year for you?

MARAT SAFIN: Quite frustrating, but was really good. I had some time off. It makes you think like a lot of -- you can think what are your needs, what you should do, and you see tennis outside of the court. You have completely different view. You can just -- you can get a lot of good advices for yourself, I mean, being outside. I had a really good time off. That's why I'm pretty - how you say - I want to be back and I want to finish the year No. 1.

Q. You have the hunger again?

MARAT SAFIN: Yeah, it's very important. When you're playing all the time, you have no time off, it's difficult to adjust to the side and see what you're doing on the court and outside. But you have time off, it's completely different story. You can see from both sides.

Q. You said you want to finish the year No. 1. What do you think you have to do to be No. 1?

MARAT SAFIN: Being consistent. There is no special formula for that. I mean, as you can see, you have to play well during all this big tournaments and try to make a smart schedule for yourself, try to work hard and not to lose, like, your matches, the matches that you have to win, and not giving any presents.

Because, I mean, there's a lot of guys competing and a lot of guys in a great shape and they will be in great shape during all the year. Who will be more consistent and who will be mentally tougher, then you're gonna end up in No. 1.

But, still, there is opportunity for everybody. I'm one of them. Why not? I have to give it a try.

Q. Do you think the Federers and Roddicks are afraid that all of a sudden you're back?

MARAT SAFIN: Hey, you have to ask them. I hope they are afraid (smiling).

No, it's too soon, I mean, to decide and see who is scared of who and who respects more and what they think about me.

But, I mean, with the time you will see, by the middle of the season. It will be like ups and downs, and more or less the picture will be more clear for like in the middle of the summer, especially this year, I mean, we have very tough schedule. So the players that are going back and forth to Europe and back, I mean, Olympics. Also the schedule is very important, not to play too many tournaments and just be fresh for the US Open and for the big tournaments.

Q. Have any players made jokes to you about, "Oh, you're back"?

MARAT SAFIN: No, not yet. Not yet (smiling).

Q. You have some good memories about your final down here a few years ago?

MARAT SAFIN: Good memories?

Q. Uh-hmm?

MARAT SAFIN: Yeah, could be.

Q. Or bad memories?

MARAT SAFIN: No, no, no. Always good. Come on. It's not like every day you're in a final of a Grand Slam. Let's be positive.

It was good, but already was two years ago. Long time away. I hope to repeat it and do better.

Q. Did you learn anything out of that experience?

MARAT SAFIN: Always, you always learn. You always learn on your mistakes.

Q. What kind of preparation did you have before you came here?

MARAT SAFIN: Just work, very important to work hard and physically because I've been out for so many months off. And when you're not playing, you lose the movements on the court, you lose everything. Basically all the footwork, all the conditions, you have to start from the beginning all over again, go to the basics and try to go step by step, I mean like all the preparation from there, from zero.

It's kind of tough, you know, to again push yourself and get the motivation back. But, finally, you get it and you don't want to let it go. That's why just you have to be focused.

I've been one months and a half doing hard work, and I hope I'll be paid somehow for this job that I did in running all over the mountains and just pump some weights and all these things.

Q. Which mountains?

MARAT SAFIN: December.

Q. Which mountains?

MARAT SAFIN: In Monaco (smiling). Is not the place to practice?

Q. You've got Jarkko next. What do you think of his game? How do you approach that?

MARAT SAFIN: He had a great win today against Massu. Great player, lefty, very talented, very fast game for the hard courts. He beat -- I think last year he beat Kafelnikov here. I played against him a couple of times, and last time I beat him in Barcelona, was just April last year. So his game probably improved.

But we'll see how it's going. But he's really, really difficult opponent.

Q. About Kafelnikov, do you have news of him? Do you think he's going to come back on the tour?

MARAT SAFIN: No, quit. Guys, he quit. You will not see him anymore.

Q. Really?

MARAT SAFIN: Yeah, finished.

Q. He didn't announce it officially?

MARAT SAFIN: That's okay. He's Kafelnikov. He doesn't have to announce it.

Q. (Inaudible)?

MARAT SAFIN: 105.

Q. Sorry?

MARAT SAFIN: 105 kilos. It's a lot of kilos, huh?

FastScripts by ASAP Sports...

experience DENIAL
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=76493

tall_one is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 12:52 PM   #72
country flag drf716

drf716 has a reputation beyond reputedrf716 has a reputation beyond reputedrf716 has a reputation beyond reputedrf716 has a reputation beyond reputedrf716 has a reputation beyond reputedrf716 has a reputation beyond reputedrf716 has a reputation beyond reputedrf716 has a reputation beyond reputedrf716 has a reputation beyond reputedrf716 has a reputation beyond reputedrf716 has a reputation beyond repute

hi! does anybody have a transcript of Marat Safin's speech in the finals of the Australian Open Finals 2001? Please post it...please!
drf716 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 01:20 PM   #73
country flag Shadow

thanks for the interview
Old 01-19-2004, 01:51 PM   #74
country flag maratski

thanks nicki

a nice one as usual

The aussies love Marat, they made that transcript fast

Old 01-19-2004, 01:56 PM   #75
country flag Cris

Cris has a reputation beyond reputeCris has a reputation beyond reputeCris has a reputation beyond reputeCris has a reputation beyond reputeCris has a reputation beyond reputeCris has a reputation beyond reputeCris has a reputation beyond reputeCris has a reputation beyond reputeCris has a reputation beyond reputeCris has a reputation beyond reputeCris has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Nicki!