Armchair Analysis: The Birth of a Bandwagon..... - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-17-2006, 11:48 PM   #31
country flag justClaudia

justClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Armchair Analysis, or when will David get another tournament win?

Tiff, about that we were talking the other day, he is coming. I'm positive about it now. Davydenko, Marcos, and Andy Murray are also coming. Thrusday we will have the final names. But he's gonna be here.
justClaudia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2006, 02:20 AM   #32
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

sigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaudiaM
Tiff, about that we were talking the other day, he is coming. I'm positive about it now. Davydenko, Marcos, and Andy Murray are also coming. Thrusday we will have the final names. But he's gonna be here.
Old 03-25-2006, 03:58 AM   #33
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

sigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond repute

Geez, David....80 UE's. I can't explain how in the hell you pulled out a win with that stat. In any case, you've found a way. If this match is the measuring stick of your true form, then you need to put in a lot of work. I will commend you, however, on grinding out the win. You deserved it, but please....make it easier on yourself next time.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:06 AM   #34
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

Great time to resurrect this thread. I'm disappointed that, year after year, we're seeing the same shit (sorry about the off-color language, but it's appropriate here)-no forward movement, no GS prospects, blah, blah, blah...
By now, he should have had about 20 titles (at least 2 GS's out of that number) and running, but 5? This is not an acceptable result for a player of his calibre. We've talked about his "potential" many times, but that potential has not been realized, sadly. And it doesn't seem as if he cares.
That nonchalant, uncaring attitude bothers me more than the results themselves. Like someone said, when he begins losing to players ranked outside the top 100 on a consistent basis, then he should really think about what he wants to do in the game.

Right now, he looks lost-which, by all accounts, has been his attitude and posture since last August. We can excuse the unexpected illness and the attendant injury problems, but the lost matches that he should have won are mind-boggling to me. I fear that if he doesn't get his bearings back, he'll be done for.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:46 AM   #35
country flag gooner88

gooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond repute

Cordoba Rally 2013.

Seriously who knows. Who would've predicted that he would win the Masters in 2005? He doesn't play enough tournaments anyway, and 5 titles is simply not good enough for a player of his calibre. At this stage with his ranking slipping it would be good to play more smaller tournaments to get some confidence and a feel for the game back.
gooner88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:49 PM   #36
country flag funa

funa is on a distinguished road

Hi, I cannot help commenting today. I was very dissapointed today's loss, but as I read how everyone's furious before me, I feel much better already. Thanks!

I couldn't watch the match live (which was fortunate, I think), but I just finished watching the replay on tennis channel. I don't think he was as bad as everyone's saying.

Yes, with his talent he could have been a better player, but his lack of ambition and his mental weakness is part of his talent too, and I think I have to accept it. Considering his weaknesses, I think he is doing relatively a good job. He was too good the first half of last year, because of masters cup magic, I guess. He is back to normal now. His usual position is in and out of top 10. I learned that I shouldn't expect more. I mean, if he doesn't care, why should I???

It could be frustrating to be his fan, but I am sure it is more exciting than to be Federer fan! How boring that could be!
funa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:03 PM   #37
country flag bibi_s

bibi_s has a reputation beyond reputebibi_s has a reputation beyond reputebibi_s has a reputation beyond reputebibi_s has a reputation beyond reputebibi_s has a reputation beyond reputebibi_s has a reputation beyond reputebibi_s has a reputation beyond reputebibi_s has a reputation beyond reputebibi_s has a reputation beyond reputebibi_s has a reputation beyond reputebibi_s has a reputation beyond repute

It's very well said that we make these analyses from our armchair; I mean we are in the position of spectators who can say whatever they want and whatever they feel. We can criticize David, because as fans we care how he performs. But what the situation is really, how is David feeling physically and mentally, what are the reasons for that, knows David only and maybe a few very close to him. Maybe we have to be patient and believe in our favorite. Let's hope that he'll pick himself up really soon. At least I very much hope so.
bibi_s is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:45 PM   #38
country flag Schu

Schu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond repute

We can all second guess how David thinks, how much he cares and how hard he trains, etc. but we don't REALLY know. Just because we see him in the media playing doesn't mean he's not working hard also.

I don't think his poor performances are not because he doesn't care - you can see how frustrated he is when he is playing poorly. I think his major weakness (besides his serve) is ALL MENTAL and its not a lack of caring but an inability to consistently perform under pressure (ie. not choke) and stay focused. Some people can handle it much better than others.

I agree that he could certainly train his mental game MUCH more but physically (besides his serve) he has the shots and does execute them. He can even serve well but doesn't have the confidence to do so under pressure.

As far as his conditioning - although he has some extra weight, I'd say he could hang with anyone in a 5 set match and often does wear his opponents out.

What's the answer - who knows but I think it's unfair of us to say David doesn't care and is not committed to tennis. He just chooses another way - a way he thinks is best for him. If he wasn't committed to tennis why would he be puttting himself through agony such as all the horrible looses of the last year. Then again I guess its still a pretty good life, especially if you don't have to work hard or care but you can just look at DAvid's face during one of those terrible matches and see that he does care.
Schu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:40 PM   #39
country flag funa

funa is on a distinguished road

I actually used to think maybe he would be more stable mentally at late 20s, but I am not sure. I've waited four years, and nothing much happened! He is still one of the great player, I enjoy watching him, and that is enough for me. He tends to do something amazing when I least expected.
funa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:31 AM   #40
country flag justClaudia

justClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond repute

This thread has a year, Tiffany bumped it tonight, and ...the issues we were debating a year ago, are exactly the ones we are debating today. And how ironic is that?

And ..a year ago I was clueless if he was comming to Estoril, and today I am clueless as well.

But yes, I still have hope. After a good night of sleep and a good day, I am back on the hope-squad.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:39 AM   #41
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

Oh well...no Rome, Hamburg, and maybe no RG! When is David coming back? Who knows?
Old 05-05-2007, 08:14 PM   #42
country flag justClaudia

And when he comes back ...which David will come back?
The talented/fighter/winner David, or the I give a damn if loose in the first round, I give a damn about what y'all think, I know I can do this by myself, don't call me stuborn, I don't need a bloody coach ...which one?

And does the first one still exists at all?

I have no idea.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:57 PM   #43
country flag Seneca

Seneca has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, bloody hell. This bloke ain't coming back:

I've never seen such a natural pure tennis player gamewise as Dave, he lacks the innate athletism and body shape (he had that as a junior, though) that for example Safin possesses but what comes to intuitive match smarts and fluid groundstrokes David is second to none. His Wimbledon final sort of just breezed by me back in the day but at the end of season in 2002 and AO 2003 when he was whipping Federer around the court I finally saw the insane skill level this young blond kid has in his game. Shame he just lets it wither away like this.

At least he won't have the stress fractures and fatigue as excuses if/when he bothers to show back on the Tour. It's a testament to his skill level as a tennis player that even with this abysmal start of the season he' still 24th in the Race.

I'm rather ambivalent to David's activities besides his tennis but I still have a huge crush on his game and I'm pretty pissed at him for throwing his prime age as a player down the drain like this.
| Jarkko Eminem |
Seneca is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 09:13 PM   #44
country flag gooner88

gooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seneca View Post
Oh, bloody hell. This bloke ain't coming back:

I've never seen such a natural pure tennis player gamewise as Dave, he lacks the innate athletism and body shape (he had that as a junior, though) that for example Safin possesses but what comes to intuitive match smarts and fluid groundstrokes David is second to none. His Wimbledon final sort of just breezed by me back in the day but at the end of season in 2002 and AO 2003 when he was whipping Federer around the court I finally saw the insane skill level this young blond kid has in his game. Shame he just lets it wither away like this.

At least he won't have the stress fractures and fatigue as excuses if/when he bothers to show back on the Tour. It's a testament to his skill level as a tennis player that even with this abysmal start of the season he' still 24th in the Race.

I'm rather ambivalent to David's activities besides his tennis but I still have a huge crush on his game and I'm pretty pissed at him for throwing his prime age as a player down the drain like this.
Great post. I agree with your thoughts about his game and his limitations. Apart from his serve, his movement around a tennis court has got worse in the last year or two. I think that comes back to fitness issues.
A fully committed Nalbo would be Top 5 easily, but he has other ideas.
gooner88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 04:27 AM   #45
country flag wenty

wenty has a reputation beyond reputewenty has a reputation beyond reputewenty has a reputation beyond reputewenty has a reputation beyond reputewenty has a reputation beyond reputewenty has a reputation beyond reputewenty has a reputation beyond reputewenty has a reputation beyond reputewenty has a reputation beyond reputewenty has a reputation beyond reputewenty has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe he'll bounce back in the hard court part of this season...after all, he doesnt have too many points to defend in the hard court tournaments.
wenty is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote