Armchair Analysis: The Birth of a Bandwagon..... - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-15-2006, 11:44 PM   #1
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

sigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Armchair Analysis: The Birth of a Bandwagon.....

I just find today's loss in IW right shocking, considering he has practically a "gimme" draw (save Safin or Nieminen, of course). I don't know what happened in that match other than what can be attributed to "mental vacation", but this is not the typical mentality of a top 3 player.

My biggest gripe about David, is that he's not in shape. Although he doesn't appear to get tired during his matches (if he does, he puts on a great show), he doesn't get the job done when he needs to. Case in point: the AO semi against Baghdatis. That match was in his hands, but we later learn that he lost it due to an injury. Face it, most of his injuries are due to poor conditioning, and the sooner he takes care of that problem, the better.

Last edited by sigmagirl91 : 12-06-2007 at 10:02 PM.
sigmagirl91 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2006, 12:29 AM   #2
country flag Julio1974

Julio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Armchair Analysis, or when will David get another tournament win?

I couldn't watch the match because I was at work until very late. I'm so shocked too. I agree with you: this is not the mentality of a top 3 player. I like David a lot but I'm not sure whether he is willing to make the effort to be a consistent top 3 or top 5 player.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:32 AM   #3
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

sigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio1974
I couldn't watch the match because I was at work until very late. I'm so shocked too. I agree with you: this is not the mentality of a top 3 player. I like David a lot but I'm not sure whether he is willing to make the effort to be a consistent top 3 or top 5 player.
And that's a sad commentary for someone who obviously has the talent to make it far in the game. I don't understand why he doesn't treat it as seriously as he should. He chose this game....and I would think, by that choice alone, he would make a 100% commitment to it.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:53 AM   #4
country flag zan

zan has a reputation beyond reputezan has a reputation beyond reputezan has a reputation beyond reputezan has a reputation beyond reputezan has a reputation beyond reputezan has a reputation beyond reputezan has a reputation beyond reputezan has a reputation beyond reputezan has a reputation beyond reputezan has a reputation beyond reputezan has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn't agree more. I spoke to linsemen in LV who said David is physically fit even though he's out of shape. So, if he's put some time in at the gym and decide he really wanted to play this game, we might see the results. There are guys breathing down his throat. Ivan, James Blake to name two. I'd really hate to see David drop out of the top 10, but if he keeps up like this, he will.

And to think, I was just booking my tix to Shanghai for the Masters Cup!
zan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 12:54 AM   #5
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by zan
Couldn't agree more. I spoke to linsemen in LV who said David is physically fit even though he's out of shape. So, if he's put some time in at the gym and decide he really wanted to play this game, we might see the results. There are guys breathing down his throat. Ivan, James Blake to name two. I'd really hate to see David drop out of the top 10, but if he keeps up like this, he will.

Physically fit and out of shape are oxymorons. You can't be fit and be out of shape...it's just not logical.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:55 AM   #6
country flag justClaudia

justClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlingQueen
And that's a sad commentary for someone who obviously has the talent to make it far in the game. I don't understand why he doesn't treat it as seriously as he should. He chose this game....and I would think, by that choice alone, he would make a 100% commitment to it.
I believe he is commited to the game, which is the job that he chose for himself after all. But I don't know what happens to him sometimes. Looks like, he wants to be anywhere but in that tennis court. It is frustating to watch. But I do believe that David is 100% commited to his tennis.
justClaudia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 12:57 AM   #7
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaudiaM
I believe he is commited to the game, which is the job that he chose for himself after all. But I don't know what happens to him sometimes. Looks like, he wants to be anywhere but in that tennis court. It is frustating to watch. But I do believe that David is 100% commited to his tennis.
I'm sorry to say this, but 100% commitment means that all distractions are put aside, and the match in progress is the sole focus. Those mental walkabouts he takes don't signify 100% commitment to me.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:59 AM   #8
country flag justClaudia

justClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zan

Zan, it's not like the season is over rigth about now. IW is only the first masters series event of the year. And if you really know David, then you should know how he is full of surprises. I mean who would expect him to win Shangaii last year? And please don't tell me that Fed was not at 100% cause I'm fed up with that..............
Old 03-16-2006, 01:01 AM   #9
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

I agree with Claudia, Zan. Don't give up just yet.....the season is still young. But if David continues along this path, then he won't be able to defend Shanghai.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:03 AM   #10
country flag justClaudia

Quote:
I'm sorry to say this, but 100% commitment means that all distractions are put aside, and the match in progress is the sole focus. Those mental walkabouts he takes don't signify 100% commitment to me.
I know Tiff. I know that and agree. But come on, I want to give him some credit, and believe that he actually is commited to his game. David frustrates me so much sometimes, that at least I want to have that to believe. Otherwise, why would he be here? Why would he be playing, if not to give all he has?
Old 03-16-2006, 01:06 AM   #11
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaudiaM
I know Tiff. I know that and agree. But come on, I want to give him some credit, and believe that he actually is commited to his game. David frustrates me so much sometimes, that at least I want to have that to believe. Otherwise, why would he be here? Why would he be playing, if not to give all he has?
It's like I said when he lost that AO semi. David should be on another level now. The tourney win in Shanghai, while it wasn't a fluke, is the barometer by which his other results will be measured. It's no longer acceptable for him to continue losing random matches in the same fashion he's lost them before. Many other players (Ljubicic, for example) are becoming much more consistent in their results-and make no mistake about it...if David is not really, willing, or able to put in the 100% commitment the game demands of him, he will continue to lose matches he should win and forfeit opportunities to build upon his success.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:13 AM   #12
country flag justClaudia

Quote:
It's like I said when he lost that AO semi. David should be on another level now. The tourney win in Shanghai, while it wasn't a fluke, is the barometer by which his ther results will be measured. It's no longer acceptable for him to continue losing random matches in the same fashion he's lost them before. Many other players (Ljubicic, for example) are becoming much more consistent in their results-and make no mistake about it...if David is not really, willing, or able to put in the 100% commitment the game demands of him, he will continue to lose matches he should win and forfeit opportunities to build upon his success.
And because he knows it, that can also be a problem for him right now. David knows what everyone is expecting from him, and I'm sure that is stressfull.

But then again he has to be able to deal with the presure, otherwise what kind of athelete is he?

But yeah, I agree with what you said. David has to open his eyes, while it's time.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:14 AM   #13
country flag disturb3d

disturb3d has a reputation beyond reputedisturb3d has a reputation beyond reputedisturb3d has a reputation beyond reputedisturb3d has a reputation beyond reputedisturb3d has a reputation beyond reputedisturb3d has a reputation beyond reputedisturb3d has a reputation beyond reputedisturb3d has a reputation beyond reputedisturb3d has a reputation beyond reputedisturb3d has a reputation beyond reputedisturb3d has a reputation beyond repute

After the tie-break, David was naturally being carried on momentum.
But then hit 3 double faults in his opening service game to grant the momentum to Paradorn.
Had the service game been steady, I really believe that Dave would have sealed the quarterfinal spot.
disturb3d is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 01:18 AM   #14
country flag justClaudia

It's always the serve, always. After loosing it, David is gone.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:19 AM   #15
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturb3d
After the tie-break, David was naturally being carried on momentum.
But then hit 3 double faults in his opening service game to grant the momentum to Paradorn.
Had the service game been steady, I really believe that Dave would have sealed the quarterfinal spot.
Agreed...and that's a glaring problem in an otherwise solid game. It is believed that the serve of a tennis player can be likened to a baseball swing. If the mechanics are poor, then it doesn't matter what else you do....and until that area of his game is given the attention it's screaming out for, he will not achieve the success that he deserves.