GREEK-AMERICAN, PS. - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-03-2005, 08:29 PM   #1
country flag angiel

angiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond repute
Default GREEK-AMERICAN, PS.

"Good luck to all the participants in the Hellenic Australian Tennis Championships"

Pete Sampras, 14 time grand slam tennis legend and arguably the greatest tennis player of all time has thrown his support behind the Hellenic Australian Tennis Championships. Pete sent the following statement to the Hellenic Tennis Association as a message of support.
angiel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2005, 08:40 PM   #2
country flag angiel

angiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GREEK-AMERICAN, PS.

*ABOUT HELLENIC TENNIS*

Thousands of years ago many believe it was the ancient civilisations in Greece and Rome that first played racquet and ball games similar to what we see now. Since the 1990’s many players of Hellenic descent have excelled on the international tennis circuit such as Mark Philippoussis, Eleni Daniilidou and arguably the greatest tennis player of all time, Pete Sampras, winner of 14 grand slam events.

As Greek Australians who love the game of tennis we formed the Hellenic Tennis Association (HTA), an incorporated not for profit entity with the intention to promote the game of tennis to players of all levels by hosting an annual tennis tournament.

The executive committee of the Hellenic Tennis Association consists of;

Mr John Giavis (President)
Mr Michael Konstas (Secretary)
Mr Michael Kypreos (Treasurer).

The tournament is an open event and we invite players of all nationalities to compete in this exciting event and encourage all sports fans to come along and witness some of the best tennis talent in Australia.

Tennis NSW partnership

• Affiliated

• Tournament sanctioned - National Open Points Score Series Tier 1 Event
Old 12-07-2005, 10:12 PM   #3
country flag angiel

Pete Sampras
Tampa, Fla.

CAREER HIGHLIGHTS
Having grown up idolizing the great Rod Laver of Australia, Sampras is establishing himself as the greatest tennis player of his time--if not of all time. As a 19 year old in 1990, Sampras became the youngest man to win the U.S. Open when he dispatched of Andre Agassi in the final. Since his 1990 U.S. Open triumph, Sampras has won six more Grand Slam titles, including three straight Wimbledon titles (1993, 1994 and 1995), two more U.S. Open titles (1993 and 1995) and the 1994 Australian Open championship. His three straight Wimbledon titles put him in the company of Fred Perry and Bjorn Borg as the only men to win three straight titles at the All-England Club in the last 80 years. Sampras finished the last three years (1993, 1994 and 1995) as the world’s No. 1 ranked player, the first man to do so since Ivan Lendl (1985-87).

In Davis Cup, Sampras teamed with John McEnroe in 1992 to help the United States win the title over Switzerland. In 1995, Sampras accounted for all three points--including a dramatic five-set win over Andrei Chesnokov on the first day of play--in a 3-2 U.S. win over Russia in the final.

OLYMPIC EXPERIENCE
Sampras reached the third round of the singles competition in the 1992 Olympics, losing to eventual bronze medalist Andrei Cherkasov of Russia. Sampras and Jim Courier were defeated in the second round of doubles by Sergio Casal and Emilio Sanchez of Spain. Sampras was a gold medalist in men’s singles at the 1987 U.S. Olympic Festival and was named USOC Athlete of the Month for July 1995. In 1994 and 1995, he finished third in the USOC’s voting for Athlete of the Year.

PERSONAL
Born Aug. 12, 1971. Sampras is a true sportsman who wishes to be remembered as a classy champion. Ironically, Sampras is the son of Greek immigrants, where the first modern Olympic Games were held in 1896. Another irony, his mother’s name is Georgia.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:24 PM   #4
country flag angiel

Pete Sampras

(Description of the person

who I would like most to see)

Each person has a vision about who he or she would like to meet during his life, for just one time or more. It can be an actor, actress, singer, sportman or even a politician. I have my own vision about who I would love to meet most.

Most people who are engaged in sports, yet not taking an active part in sport has an idol of top sportmen. For me, it is Pete Sampras - one of the most admired american tennis players.

Pete, a native of United states of america with greek heritage and slightly mischievous smile on face makes his fans, not excepting me, to approximate ......with Bridgete Wilson on one tournament. It was love at first sight. After only a nine-month romance and 16-week engagement Pete Sampras and Bridgete Wilson wed in an intimate ceremony. Nowdays, Pete is a happy daddy and a husband.

Not only fans, but also players are still trying to approximate to him. A man, who gained nicknames such a Mr. Perfect or Pistol Pete, is just one.

That´s why I would love to meet Pete Sampras, I adore him for many things but mostly because he reached the peak of his tenis career and so did in private life.

If I would have a chance to play just five minutes with him, my dream would come true.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:55 PM   #5
country flag angiel

Pete Sampras, of Greek parentage and once the world’s best tennis player, suffered from mild Thalassemia, as reported by the Boston Globe a few years ago. It used to tire him sometimes but did not stop him from winning 14 Grand Slam titles.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:05 PM   #6
country flag angiel

GREAT GREEK-AMERICAN.

Old 12-14-2005, 11:47 PM   #7
country flag angiel

Old 12-22-2005, 11:19 PM   #8
country flag angiel

Old 03-25-2006, 07:36 PM   #9
country flag angiel

Elli Kokkinou & The Drifters to Perform at HTSF 15th Anniversary Gala Honoring Alexis Christoforous & Nick Gregory; Constantine Maroulis to Guest Host

Elli Kokkinou & The Drifters to Perform at HTSF 15th Anniversary Gala Honoring Alexis Christoforous & Nick Gregory; Constantine Maroulis to Guest Host

NEW YORK: The Hellenic Times Scholarship Fund will honor CBS MarketWatch anchor Alexis Christoforous & Fox-5 Meteorologist Nick Gregory at its 15th Anniversary Gala at the New York Marriott Marquis Hotel on Saturday, May 13, 2006. The HTSF is also pleased to welcome Greek pop singer Elli Kokkinou, and legendary 60’s group The Drifters, who will perform at the event, hosted by American Idol’s Constantine Maroulis.

Scholarship presenters will include Fox News anchor Ernie Anastos, Oscar winner Olympia Dukakis, and Judge Nicholas Tsoucalas. Big Screen Presenters will include: CSI:NY star Melina Kanakaredes, NBC Sportscaster Bob Costas and tennis ace Pete Sampras. Over 1500 guests are expected to attend as scholarships will be awarded to students from across the United States.

HONOREE – Alexis Christoforous

The HTSF is pleased to honor CBS News Anchor and National Correspondent Alexis Christoforous. Alexis is also News Anchor for the nationally syndicated program "Marketwatch Weekend", and is a contributing correspondent for The Early Show, CBS Evening News weekend edition and the CBS Radio Network.
She began her "business news" career at Bloomberg Television and Radio in 1994 where she anchored the national PBS program Bloomberg Morning News and regularly reported live from the floor of the New York Stock Exchange. A cum laude graduate from New York University, where she now often lectures, Christoforous is also very active in her community including her participation in Greek events and the "Feast with Famous Faces" which raises money for the Children's League of the Hard of Hearing. Alexis and her husband, Karl P. Kilb, General Counsel for Bloomberg LP, and their two sons, Karl and Trevor, live in Manhattan.

HONOREE – Nick Gregory

The HTSF is also pleased to honor Fox-5 meteorologist Nick Gregory, who joined the station in 1986 and now brings the weather to viewers at 5, 6 and 11 PM. In fact, Nick and his news team just won an Emmy Award for Best New York Newscast. A graduate of Lyndon State College in Vermont, Nick has served as Chairman of the American Meteorologist Society's "Board of Broadcast Meteorology," and both the New York Post and the Daily News have named him the most accurate weather forecaster in New York City. He also dedicates much of his time to charitable causes and has received the NYC Comptroller's Award for outstanding community service. Nick resides in Westchester with his wife and three children.

GUEST ARTIST – Elli Kokkinou

The HTSF is proud to welcome international Heaven recording artist Elli Kokkinou, who will perform some of her biggest hits at the Gala including "Masai," "Sorry," "Bye, Bye," "Den Yinetai,” “Talento” and the title track from her current chart topping CD "Sex". Having studied at the Musician's Institute of Technology in Los Angeles, Elli signed with Sony Music in 1996 and has been one of Greece's best-selling recording artists ever since.

GUEST ARTISTS– The Drifters

The HTSF is proud to welcome legendary artists Charlie Thomas' Drifters, who will perform The Drifters greatest classics including "There Goes My Baby," "Under the Boardwalk," "On Broadway," "This Magic Moment," and "Save the Last Dance For Me." The Drifters, who continue to tour throughout the world, were one of the most successful groups of the 1960's and Charlie Thomas, who was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1988, is the only voice on all the Drifters biggest hits.

GUEST HOST– Constantine Maroulis

The HTSF is pleased to welcome American Idol's Contantine Maroulis. Constantine was a finalist on the hugely popular FOX television show in 2005, wowing the judges and audiences alike with his powerful vocal talents. Since American Idol, he has toured with the show and as lead singer of his band "Pray For the Soul of Betty." Named as People Magazine's Sexiest 30 year old, Constantine attended the prestigious Boston Conservatory of Music and Berklee College of Music. He is currently developing a sitcom for ABC and he plans to release a solo album later this year

Alexis Christoforous, Nick Gregory, Elli Kokkinou, Constantine Maroulis and The Drifters uphold the tradition of outstanding HTSF honorees and performers including Oscar winner Olympia Dukakis, Anna Vissi, CBS News Anchors Ernie Anastos and Thalia Assuras, Marilu Henner, CSI:NY star Melina Kanakaredes, daytime drama star John Aniston, Director Nick Cassavetes, Emmy winner Michael Chiklis, NBC Sportscaster Bob Costas, Saturday Night Live’s Tina Fey, Gloria Gaynor, Jim Gianopulos, Chairman of Fox Filmed Entertainment, CSI:Miami star Sofia Milos, Thomas O’Brien, Paula Cale, Costas & Louis Mandylor, Humanitarian Tita Scandalis-Monti, The Alexander Onassis Public Benefit Foundation, Elizabeth Perkins, Star Trek's Marina Sirtis, Special Effects Creator/Producer/Director Patrick Tatopoulos, Natassa Theodoridou, Judge Nicholas Tsoucalas, Jay Black and Amber.

Dinner Chairman is New York Attorney Nick Katsoris, General Counsel of the Red Apple Group. Katsoris is also author of the children’s book Loukoumi. General Chairs are John & Margo Catsimatidis. John is Chairman if the Red Apple Group and Publisher of the Hellenic Times with his wife Margo, who is an advertising executive in New York City and is involved in numerous charities. Ticket prices are as follows: General admission tickets are from $200 per person; Youth tickets are $150 (35 and under if purchased by May 6; $175 thereafter). Tables (including sponsorships of scholarships) may also be purchased as follows: Chairman Table ($20,000); Vice-Chairman Table ($15,000); Tribute Table ($10,000); Benefactor Table ($6,000); Patron Table ($3,500).

For further information, to receive an invitation or to purchase tickets, visit our Website at HTSF.org or call 212-986-6881 or 333-7456.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
© 2006 Hellenic News of America, Inc. - All Rights Reserved
Old 03-26-2006, 07:07 PM   #10
country flag almouchie

almouchie has a reputation beyond reputealmouchie has a reputation beyond reputealmouchie has a reputation beyond reputealmouchie has a reputation beyond reputealmouchie has a reputation beyond reputealmouchie has a reputation beyond reputealmouchie has a reputation beyond reputealmouchie has a reputation beyond reputealmouchie has a reputation beyond reputealmouchie has a reputation beyond reputealmouchie has a reputation beyond repute

i like the Us open 2002 pic
very nice