Why do you support Roger? - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Main reason for being Federer's fan?

Personality (his stylish on/off court behaviour) 43 33.33%
Game style 66 51.16%
Ranking, titles & success 0 0%
Looks, body and hotness 2 1.55%
Because he has great fans 0 0%
Nationality 3 2.33%
Watching him play is guaranteed quality 12 9.30%
Other(please specify) 3 2.33%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-07-2006, 11:44 AM   #46
country flag Monteque

Monteque has a reputation beyond reputeMonteque has a reputation beyond reputeMonteque has a reputation beyond reputeMonteque has a reputation beyond reputeMonteque has a reputation beyond reputeMonteque has a reputation beyond reputeMonteque has a reputation beyond reputeMonteque has a reputation beyond reputeMonteque has a reputation beyond reputeMonteque has a reputation beyond reputeMonteque has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you support Roger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples
Why do you support Roger?
Because there's noone tennis player in this planet above him.
His playing style so smooth and gracious. And his character.
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2006, 08:00 AM   #47
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofe
That is ok, it is still valid for new (and old) fans of Fed.
yes, for old fans there is also a good thread~~
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:19 PM   #48
country flag Eden
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKTUEN
THIS THREAD IS A liittle bit old.
That's true, but new members to the forum would like to write their comment as well and I think it isn't necessary to open a new thread about a topic which already exists

And maybe to read again in an old thread can be interesting to other users as well
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:16 AM   #49
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

yes, in Chinese forums Chinese always find out some old thread.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:33 PM   #50
country flag natasha_nana

natasha_nana has a reputation beyond reputenatasha_nana has a reputation beyond reputenatasha_nana has a reputation beyond reputenatasha_nana has a reputation beyond reputenatasha_nana has a reputation beyond reputenatasha_nana has a reputation beyond reputenatasha_nana has a reputation beyond reputenatasha_nana has a reputation beyond reputenatasha_nana has a reputation beyond reputenatasha_nana has a reputation beyond reputenatasha_nana has a reputation beyond repute

I voted for game style as that's the primary reason why as a player I support Roger over all others...
But it's not why I support Roger in general.

I have to think back to Wimbledon 2003...when he won for that first time...to remember why on that day I became a Federer fan and have not looked back since.

It wasn't that I thought he'd go onto do everything he has achieved since then...I never saw any of this coming.
And though I did fall in love with the beautiful game, I can't say that was the reason either.

What got me the most that day...(and continues to get me everytime since) is how much he cared.
I know people think it's a little much that he keeps crying when he wins. I mean after winning your first 1-2 slams, surely there's nothing left to cry about?!

Yet he still does it.

And to me that is what really sets him apart from other players and slam winners.
It matters to him...tennis matters so much to him. The game, its history, his role in it...and this is one of Roger's best qualities.

Rarely do you see players so aware of what they are becoming a part of...tennis existed long before Roger, and it will continue long after.
I feel that Federer really understands this, and to me his crying is the ultimate expression of his gratitude for being able for this brief moment to be part of that great history that will ultimately outlast him.

Ironically I think he is at his most humble in those moments straight after he wins the match point at a GS. It is in that moment that he is aware of the enormity of it all...that it is so much larger than him.

It's why he is not satisfied with just winning...he wants to bring his best. Because only by doing that will tennis as a whole be elevated...and he be a worthy part of it.

Watching Roger care that year, made me care again too. And that in short (or long) is why I really support him.

Last edited by natasha_nana : 08-14-2007 at 11:42 PM.
natasha_nana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:03 AM   #51
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

^^ I second everything you said in this post, so I won't bother and type it all up myself - you've expressed it perfectly.

Great post!

It's a pity this poll only allows one answer - as for many others, it's both his beautiful game AND his lovely personality that make me love Roger.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 02:33 PM   #52
country flag SUKTUEN

Personality (his stylish on/off court behaviour) ~!!!!
Old 08-18-2007, 01:29 PM   #53
country flag Eden
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by natasha_nana View Post
I voted for game style as that's the primary reason why as a player I support Roger over all others...
But it's not why I support Roger in general.

I have to think back to Wimbledon 2003...when he won for that first time...to remember why on that day I became a Federer fan and have not looked back since.

It wasn't that I thought he'd go onto do everything he has achieved since then...I never saw any of this coming.
And though I did fall in love with the beautiful game, I can't say that was the reason either.

What got me the most that day...(and continues to get me everytime since) is how much he cared.
I know people think it's a little much that he keeps crying when he wins. I mean after winning your first 1-2 slams, surely there's nothing left to cry about?!

Yet he still does it.

And to me that is what really sets him apart from other players and slam winners.
It matters to him...tennis matters so much to him. The game, its history, his role in it...and this is one of Roger's best qualities.

Rarely do you see players so aware of what they are becoming a part of...tennis existed long before Roger, and it will continue long after.
I feel that Federer really understands this, and to me his crying is the ultimate expression of his gratitude for being able for this brief moment to be part of that great history that will ultimately outlast him.

Ironically I think he is at his most humble in those moments straight after he wins the match point at a GS. It is in that moment that he is aware of the enormity of it all...that it is so much larger than him.

It's why he is not satisfied with just winning...he wants to bring his best. Because only by doing that will tennis as a whole be elevated...and he be a worthy part of it.

Watching Roger care that year, made me care again too. And that in short (or long) is why I really support him.
Well said

I really like the fact that Roger doesn't take all his victories for granted. He always says that a title can be the last one and that he is therefore much more grateful when he gets it at the end.

He has so much respect for his opponents and the game of tennis in general. It's great to see how much tennis and the history of this sport mean to him. Therefore I think it is a nice idea of him and his sponsors for the special clothes for Wimbledon. And we all won't forget the tears during the Australian Open trophy ceremony last year when he hugged Rod Laver.

There can't be a better champion for this sport as Roger and it is really a pleasure to follow his career.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:46 PM   #54
country flag SUKTUEN

and he always did great job to be a logo of Tennis !
and he make tennis more popular!
Old 08-18-2007, 05:10 PM   #55
country flag K90

K90 has a reputation beyond reputeK90 has a reputation beyond reputeK90 has a reputation beyond reputeK90 has a reputation beyond reputeK90 has a reputation beyond reputeK90 has a reputation beyond reputeK90 has a reputation beyond reputeK90 has a reputation beyond reputeK90 has a reputation beyond reputeK90 has a reputation beyond reputeK90 has a reputation beyond repute

Personality, Game style and Watching him play is guaranteed quality
K90 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 05:33 AM   #56
country flag SUKTUEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICX View Post
Personality, Game style and Watching him play is guaranteed quality
Old 06-08-2008, 08:55 AM   #57
country flag Eden
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Just thought to bring this one up as there are a few new members on the Federer Express who also might to vote in this poll
Old 06-08-2008, 08:50 PM   #58
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

BigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond repute

He's the best ambassador the game ever had.

Sure, he is talented, sucessful, has a terrific game, but for me, it is his personnality that puts him above the rest.
BigJohn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:43 PM   #59
country flag elessar
Fly away little pigeon

elessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond reputeelessar has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is making me nostalgic
elessar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:05 AM   #60
country flag trickcy

trickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond reputetrickcy has a reputation beyond repute

The main reason would be his game style. I first saw him play at RG 06, and I was impressed by his game. I supported Roger then because I preferred the way he played to the way Nadal played. Over the years though to support him throughout tournaments, I guess it would be a combination of things. First and foremost is his game, but also his personality is a factor.
trickcy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote