Why do you support Roger? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Main reason for being Federer's fan?

Personality (his stylish on/off court behaviour) 43 33.33%
Game style 66 51.16%
Ranking, titles & success 0 0%
Looks, body and hotness 2 1.55%
Because he has great fans 0 0%
Nationality 3 2.33%
Watching him play is guaranteed quality 12 9.30%
Other(please specify) 3 2.33%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-06-2006, 08:56 AM   #16
country flag landoud

landoud has a reputation beyond reputelandoud has a reputation beyond reputelandoud has a reputation beyond reputelandoud has a reputation beyond reputelandoud has a reputation beyond reputelandoud has a reputation beyond reputelandoud has a reputation beyond reputelandoud has a reputation beyond reputelandoud has a reputation beyond reputelandoud has a reputation beyond reputelandoud has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you support Roger?

if this poll was a multiple choice , i would go for all those reasons
but i voted for the personality.... he's such a classy person ... nobody can compete with him on the personality quality

landoud is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2006, 02:01 PM   #17
country flag mangoes
Comparisons are Odious

mangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond repute

Game style was the first reason and over time his personality just added to the reasons I like him.

I saw Roger play, for the first time, a couple years ago, when I was in college, and then, he was not very known. Frankly, my roommate and I went to his match because there were empty seats there vs the match we wanted to see. I liked his game style immediately. He hit some great angles but also made a lot of unforced errors I thought him to be such a graceful player and ever since then, I have been following his career. Also, during that match, I told my roommate that he would be no. 1 one day. My roommate disagreed with me and she called Roger too flakey a player to ever dominate..............well, I never fail to remind her of her words

I've seen Roger play several times since then and it is simply beautiful to watch him play.

Live Life to the Fullest , Be Happy , Find Peace within Yourself ..................
Tennis Helps!!

Last edited by mangoes : 03-06-2006 at 02:05 PM.
mangoes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 05:17 PM   #18
country flag Rogiman

Rogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond reputeRogiman has a reputation beyond repute

Quality for me, but I'm not sure it's quality in the sense meant above (high winners/unforced errors ratio etc.).

For me quality means you've learnt alot and trained hard and have become masterful in both the gist and the nuances of your profession.

For example, Nirvana is one of the most successful bands of all time, but I've never been able to listen to them, because it's so clear none of them has ever bothered to learn music properly, they saught the easy way - not to take the long path and study classical music and improve on their technique and then build on that and add their own dimension - instead they found a winning formula and it worked for them!
To me this means showing disrespect to your profession and to the people who contributed to its development, and that to me is low quality.

On the other hand you've got Sting, for instance.
Sting is neither Mozart, nor is he one of my favs, but when you listen to Sting you can feel he's an educated intelligent musician, who's familiar with classical music as well as Jazz, and chooses only elite musicians to accompany him.
His music is genuine, but you feel the influences of other (high caliber) musicians in his music.
This is high quality.

Get the analogy?
To me Nadal, a grunting baseliner with awkward shots, is Nirvana - a guy who doesn't care about aesthetics, perfection, and spits in the faces of former tennis legends like Laver and Edberg, who graced the court with both their tennis and demanors.

Federer, well, he's not Sting - much closer to Mozart.
He's a classical pianist, who practised the works of former geniuses in history to perfection, and now is in the phase of composing his own pieces of brilliance, his own symphonies.
And like other geniuses, he's modest, jumping, grunting and making a big deal out of himself is not his way of conducting himself in front of people.

To me, Federer losing to Nadal is like Mozart and Nirvana playing simultaneously on different stages, and the people opting to watch Nirvana, because simplicity sells better than quality.

I once asked a mathematician what drove him, if it was the pursuit of truth, and he told me he didn't care about truth - he saught beauty.
This is me.

Perhaps that gives you some insight about my beaviour of late.

Last edited by Rogiman : 03-06-2006 at 05:19 PM.
Rogiman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 05:25 PM   #19
country flag bokehlicious
♥ eve ♥

bokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond repute

Great post Rogiman
Old 03-06-2006, 06:37 PM   #20
country flag oneandonlyhsn

oneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond reputeoneandonlyhsn has a reputation beyond repute

For me the way he carries himself both on and off court was what drew me to him initially. He has such grace and I love the fact that he never stares down at his opponents.
His style of play is a very close second, his shot making ability and the ease at which he makes everything seem is just breathtaking.

Grigor Dimitrov & David Goffin - The future of tennis

Allez - Jerzy Janowicz, Jose Acasuso , Lleyton, Djokovic, Nalbandian, Clement, Nicolas Almagro, Stanislas Wawrinka

Ai Se Eu Te Pego - Michel Telo
oneandonlyhsn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 06:41 PM   #21
country flag rofe

rofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogiman
Quality for me, but I'm not sure it's quality in the sense meant above (high winners/unforced errors ratio etc.).

For me quality means you've learnt alot and trained hard and have become masterful in both the gist and the nuances of your profession.

For example, Nirvana is one of the most successful bands of all time, but I've never been able to listen to them, because it's so clear none of them has ever bothered to learn music properly, they saught the easy way - not to take the long path and study classical music and improve on their technique and then build on that and add their own dimension - instead they found a winning formula and it worked for them!
To me this means showing disrespect to your profession and to the people who contributed to its development, and that to me is low quality.

Sting is neither Mozart, nor is he one of my favs, but when you listen to Sting you can feel he's an educated intelligent musician, who's familiar with classical music as well as Jazz, and chooses only elite musicians to accompany him.
His music is genuine, but you feel the influences of other (high caliber) musicians in his music.
This is high quality.

Get the analogy?
To me Nadal, a grunting baseliner with awkward shots, is Nirvana - a guy who doesn't care about aesthetics, perfection, and spits in the faces of former tennis legends like Laver and Edberg, who graced the court with both their tennis and demanors.

He's a classical pianist, who practised the works of former geniuses in history to perfection, and now is in the phase of composing his own pieces of brilliance, his own symphonies.
And like other geniuses, he's modest, jumping, grunting and making a big deal out of himself is not his way of conducting himself in front of people.

To me, Federer losing to Nadal is like Mozart and Nirvana playing simultaneously on different stages, and the people opting to watch Nirvana, because simplicity sells better than quality.

I once asked a mathematician what drove him, if it was the pursuit of truth, and he told me he didn't care about truth - he saught beauty.
This is me.

Yes, Roger's game is all about asthetics, art, beauty etc. If you truly admire his game and the beauty of it, you should also understand that unlike the beauty of mathematics or the beauty of a musical composition, the beauty of Roger's game is in real time against all sorts of opponents.

As such, imperfections will creep into that complex amalgamation of strokes and sometimes simplicity will prevail over beauty.

In fact now that you have described your views in greater detail, I am all the more surprised that you are so disappointed.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:57 PM   #22
country flag mangoes
Comparisons are Odious

mangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond repute

Loved your description Rogiman

I wanted to add this.........the one thing I remarked on the last time I saw Roger play live was that playing tennis for him seems so effortless. I don't know if this makes sense to anyone else

Live Life to the Fullest , Be Happy , Find Peace within Yourself ..................
Tennis Helps!!

Last edited by mangoes : 03-06-2006 at 07:04 PM.
mangoes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:08 PM   #23
country flag Bagelicious

Bagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond reputeBagelicious has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoes
Loved your description Rogiman

I wanted to add this.........the one thing I remarked on the last time I saw Roger play live was that playing tennis for him seems so effortless. I don't know if this makes sense to anyone else
It makes total sense to me. I remember the first match I saw Roger in and really took notice was Wimby SF '03 against Roddick. I was only a casual tennis watcher then, but I was amazed by how easy he made it look as he demolished Roddick.

When you watch other players, it may be entertaining and high-quality, but you never really get the sense that one of them is playing effortlessly like you do with Roger.

I smell bagels!!! Lots of them!!!
Bagelicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 12:05 AM   #24
country flag Minnie

Minnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what to say ... except the first time I saw Roger was on TV when he beat Sampras at Wimbledon in 2001 - and jumping out of my seat yelling "He's done it" without really knowing too much about Roger. Perhaps that memory should make me a bit more circumspect when I get riled because crowds yell for Roger's opponents - like, the player whose name I dare not speak (or type!). Anyway, it slowly dawned on me towards the latter part of 2003 that I wasn't just looking at his tennis - so I'll just say I support Roger because he's the "complete package"
Minnie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 04:48 AM   #25
country flag World Beater

World Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogiman

This is high quality.

Get the analogy?

This is me.

i liken federer to yanni. Combines the best of the old with the new as well.
World Beater is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 06:21 AM   #26
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

I love him because his wonderful tennis and his personal~!!
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 02:34 PM   #27
country flag tonia9

tonia9 has a reputation beyond reputetonia9 has a reputation beyond reputetonia9 has a reputation beyond reputetonia9 has a reputation beyond reputetonia9 has a reputation beyond reputetonia9 has a reputation beyond reputetonia9 has a reputation beyond reputetonia9 has a reputation beyond reputetonia9 has a reputation beyond reputetonia9 has a reputation beyond reputetonia9 has a reputation beyond repute

Game style. First time I saw him I was so impressed that I couldn't move
I also love the fact that he's so classy

The awareness of our own strength makes us modest. - Paul Cezanne

Roger is the most talented and the most complete player on the tour. One gets the feeling that he can always move up one gear when he needs to - Martina Hingis
tonia9 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 02:53 PM   #28
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

I watch his first match is 2001 Wimby Vs Sampras, I Love him so Much when I saw he wear in white~!
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 05:04 PM   #29
country flag Liverpool4ever

Liverpool4ever has a reputation beyond reputeLiverpool4ever has a reputation beyond reputeLiverpool4ever has a reputation beyond reputeLiverpool4ever has a reputation beyond reputeLiverpool4ever has a reputation beyond reputeLiverpool4ever has a reputation beyond reputeLiverpool4ever has a reputation beyond reputeLiverpool4ever has a reputation beyond reputeLiverpool4ever has a reputation beyond reputeLiverpool4ever has a reputation beyond reputeLiverpool4ever has a reputation beyond repute

I am a Federer fan first and foremost, because of the way he plays. I guess Iam old fashioned, but I belief that all sportsmen should play in a beautiful and attacking manner. Federer does that better than any sportsmen I have seen and that is why I support him. The second reason is the way he carries himself on court like a true champion, being curteous and respectful. As long as he keeps these two things up I would support him no matter what his ranking.
Liverpool4ever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:04 PM   #30
country flag Arwyn_75

Arwyn_75 has a reputation beyond reputeArwyn_75 has a reputation beyond reputeArwyn_75 has a reputation beyond reputeArwyn_75 has a reputation beyond reputeArwyn_75 has a reputation beyond reputeArwyn_75 has a reputation beyond reputeArwyn_75 has a reputation beyond reputeArwyn_75 has a reputation beyond reputeArwyn_75 has a reputation beyond reputeArwyn_75 has a reputation beyond reputeArwyn_75 has a reputation beyond repute

I like his game and his personality. He is the best tennis player of the world.
Arwyn_75 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote