Why do you support Roger? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Main reason for being Federer's fan?

Personality (his stylish on/off court behaviour) 43 33.33%
Game style 66 51.16%
Ranking, titles & success 0 0%
Looks, body and hotness 2 1.55%
Because he has great fans 0 0%
Nationality 3 2.33%
Watching him play is guaranteed quality 12 9.30%
Other(please specify) 3 2.33%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-05-2006, 09:21 PM   #1
country flag Peoples

Peoples has a reputation beyond reputePeoples has a reputation beyond reputePeoples has a reputation beyond reputePeoples has a reputation beyond reputePeoples has a reputation beyond reputePeoples has a reputation beyond reputePeoples has a reputation beyond reputePeoples has a reputation beyond reputePeoples has a reputation beyond reputePeoples has a reputation beyond reputePeoples has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why do you support Roger?

It's probably a combination of reasons but what is the main reason for you?
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2006, 09:25 PM   #2
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you support Roger?

This is a no-brainer, although I'm sure there are plenty of people who think we just want to support a constant winner.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:27 PM   #3
country flag robrulz5

robrulz5 has a reputation beyond reputerobrulz5 has a reputation beyond reputerobrulz5 has a reputation beyond reputerobrulz5 has a reputation beyond reputerobrulz5 has a reputation beyond reputerobrulz5 has a reputation beyond reputerobrulz5 has a reputation beyond reputerobrulz5 has a reputation beyond reputerobrulz5 has a reputation beyond reputerobrulz5 has a reputation beyond reputerobrulz5 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd have to say his game style and guaranteed quality.

The first time i ever saw Roger play live was against Haas at the Australian Open in 2002 which Haas won 8-6 in the fifth, up until that match I was sure about Roger but ever since then I've been a big fan.
robrulz5 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:29 PM   #4
country flag Peoples

Peoples has a reputation beyond reputePeoples has a reputation beyond reputePeoples has a reputation beyond reputePeoples has a reputation beyond reputePeoples has a reputation beyond reputePeoples has a reputation beyond reputePeoples has a reputation beyond reputePeoples has a reputation beyond reputePeoples has a reputation beyond reputePeoples has a reputation beyond reputePeoples has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjengster
This is a no-brainer, although I'm sure there are plenty of people who think we just want to support a constant winner.
Looking at the posters in GM, if people are honest, it's not a no-brainer.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:30 PM   #5
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute

There are several posters in GM who I like to think are not representative of the majority of Federer fans.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Old 03-05-2006, 09:38 PM   #6
country flag Peoples

I would agree but the majority who considers themselves fans of Federer would probably go for "guaranteed quality" if they were being honest. But it's a totally valid reason
Old 03-05-2006, 09:42 PM   #7
country flag Sjengster

I might have said that a couple of years ago, but look at this year's AO - quality was by no means guaranteed in some of his matches there.

Old 03-05-2006, 10:03 PM   #8
country flag Peoples

You need to see the bigger picture - usually the quality of play is guaranteed, at least more than watching any other ATP/WTA player.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:06 PM   #9
country flag Sjengster

Well, looking at the bigger picture, guaranteed quality is almost the same as style of play, in the sense that what he produces over the course of a year in most matches is what I enjoy watching. But there are always exceptions to the rule, and sometimes I appreciate what he's trying to do, even if it doesn't always work, more than what he actually does do out on the court - ie, the style he is employing.

Old 03-05-2006, 11:35 PM   #10
country flag peripheral

peripheral has a reputation beyond reputeperipheral has a reputation beyond reputeperipheral has a reputation beyond reputeperipheral has a reputation beyond reputeperipheral has a reputation beyond reputeperipheral has a reputation beyond reputeperipheral has a reputation beyond reputeperipheral has a reputation beyond reputeperipheral has a reputation beyond reputeperipheral has a reputation beyond reputeperipheral has a reputation beyond repute

I found this really hard to answer... obviously there are multiple reasons for why I'm a diehard fan of his. It basically can be boiled down to two main ones for me-- his amazing quality of play and his on/off-court personality. However, I finally chose his personality because that's what draws me most to him. If he were as great a player as he is, but had the personality of Kiefer, I would respect his talent, but wouldn't be his fan (no offense to fans of Kiefer)

Marat Safin

Gasquet-Bagdhatis-Ancic
peripheral is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 04:18 AM   #11
country flag rofe

rofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond repute

Game style by a huge margin. By contrast, I sometimes wish Nadal would not go deep into tournaments so that I did not have to watch his ugly style of play.

Match quality is a question mark simply because he seems to not care too much about matches he knows he can win easily nowadays and that shows in his performance.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:20 AM   #12
country flag lsy

lsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples
Looking at the posters in GM, if people are honest, it's not a no-brainer.
In that case, why don't you go do this poll in GM then instead of here?
lsy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 04:46 AM   #13
country flag Flibbertigibbet

Flibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond reputeFlibbertigibbet has a reputation beyond repute

Combination of personality and game style. He has both the game and the attitude that I wish I could have.

I am a fan of Federer, Gasquet, Baghdatis, the long-deceased Safin, Youzhny, Nalbandian, Rochus, Tsonga, the sadly-departed Santoro, and good, hearty, competitive tennis matches. The quality of my life does not rest solely on who wins these matches. In fact, I would even go as far as to say that I can live quite happily after a player I like chokes, mugs, bashes, or otherwise succumbs to a loss.
Flibbertigibbet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 07:37 AM   #14
country flag Saturn66

Saturn66 has a reputation beyond reputeSaturn66 has a reputation beyond reputeSaturn66 has a reputation beyond reputeSaturn66 has a reputation beyond reputeSaturn66 has a reputation beyond reputeSaturn66 has a reputation beyond reputeSaturn66 has a reputation beyond reputeSaturn66 has a reputation beyond reputeSaturn66 has a reputation beyond reputeSaturn66 has a reputation beyond reputeSaturn66 has a reputation beyond repute

personality and game style
Saturn66 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 07:48 AM   #15
country flag bokehlicious
♥ eve ♥

bokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond repute

I picked 'nationality' because honestly that's mainly why I followed his career since junior tour, when he trained the village next to mine (Ecublens).

But for 5 - 6 years now I am a huge fan because of his game mainly, and his personnality too