TT ranking system poll - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which ranking system do you want us to use for TT?

An exact copy of the 2006 ATP Champions Race and Entry Ranking with 13 mandatory tournaments. 36 52.17%
A system similar to the WTA tour, all tournaments are optional, best 18 count. 33 47.83%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2006, 09:57 AM   #1
country flag Labamba

Labamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond repute
Question TT ranking system poll

Tennis Tipping game needs to have a ranking system and you get to decide which ranking system we will use:

1. An exact copy of the 2006 ATP Champions Race and Entry Ranking. This means 13 mandatory tournaments (Grand Slams and Masters Events) plus the best 5 optionals.

2. A system similar to the WTA tour, all tournaments are optional, best 18 (or more, this can be decided later) tournaments count. This will also include both a race and an entry ranking, but no mandatory tournaments.

Please, just vote in the poll above.
Labamba is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2006, 10:07 AM   #2
country flag Labamba

Labamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TT ranking system poll

I'm in favour of the system similar to WTA, because I don't like the idea of mandatory tournaments which you have to play or else you will get a 0 in your ranking. The WTA system is more flexible and the big tournaments will still be big, because they give so many ranking points.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:20 AM   #3
country flag sharpeirob

sharpeirob has a reputation beyond reputesharpeirob has a reputation beyond reputesharpeirob has a reputation beyond reputesharpeirob has a reputation beyond reputesharpeirob has a reputation beyond reputesharpeirob has a reputation beyond reputesharpeirob has a reputation beyond reputesharpeirob has a reputation beyond reputesharpeirob has a reputation beyond reputesharpeirob has a reputation beyond reputesharpeirob has a reputation beyond repute

I feel the same, I dont think it is fair, say if yo have a week of exams and you cant do Masters Series Monte Carlo, its not fair
Old 03-04-2006, 08:04 PM   #4
country flag DeccyB123

DeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labamba
I'm in favour of the system similar to WTA, because I don't like the idea of mandatory tournaments which you have to play or else you will get a 0 in your ranking. The WTA system is more flexible and the big tournaments will still be big, because they give so many ranking points.
THe thing is that you don't get a 0 on your ranking if you miss a TMS or GS! In the ATP system it states:

Quote:
For every Grand Slam or Tennis Masters Series Tournament for which a player is not in the Main Draw, and was not (and, in the case of a Grand Slam, would not have been, had he and all other players entered) a Main Draw Direct Acceptance on the original Acceptance List, and never became a Main Draw Direct Acceptance, the number of his results from all other eligible Tournaments in the Entry Ranking period, that count for his ranking, is increased by one.
This is saying that if you miss a TMS or GS, you can replace it with your next highest score in a ISG or IS! Not that you get a 0.

The only difference between the ATP and WTA system is if you do enter a TMS but go out first round, you cannot discard your score for a better score in a ISG or IS, so you haven't given people all the info.
DeccyB123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 08:34 PM   #5
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Björki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond repute

I want to change my mind: WTA

Bryans || Djokovic || Paire || Chiudinelli || Nalbandian || Hanley || Rojer || Nadal
Söderling || Verdasco || Wawrinka || Simon || O. Rochus || Leo Mayer

Björkman || Arthurs || Edberg || Rafter || T.Johansson || M.Norman || Aspelin
Björki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 11:51 PM   #6
country flag invu2day

invu2day has a reputation beyond reputeinvu2day has a reputation beyond reputeinvu2day has a reputation beyond reputeinvu2day has a reputation beyond reputeinvu2day has a reputation beyond reputeinvu2day has a reputation beyond reputeinvu2day has a reputation beyond reputeinvu2day has a reputation beyond reputeinvu2day has a reputation beyond reputeinvu2day has a reputation beyond reputeinvu2day has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeccyB123
THe thing is that you don't get a 0 on your ranking if you miss a TMS or GS! In the ATP system it states...... if you miss a TMS or GS, you can replace it with your next highest score in a ISG or IS! Not that you get a 0.

The only difference between the ATP and WTA system is if you do enter a TMS but go out first round, you cannot discard your score for a better score in a ISG or IS, so you haven't given people all the info.
I am with you all the way with this DeccyB123. I see where you are coming from.

The closer we stick to the ATP with all aspects of Tennis Tipping the less issues will arise to be dealt with. Plus with any issues arising we will always have a point of reference with the ATP and no persons can say or think any favouritism has been shown in any way by managers.

We may not all agree with the ATP rules and ranking but it is there to see for all in black and white. I mean I missed the Australian Open so lost a big opportunity to gain substantial ranking points of upto 1000 points. Plus my wife is looking for us to go on holiday in the first week of the US Open. I know I have minimal chance of making the top 8 this season to get into the Masters Cup at the end of the year and that sucks.

But hey, its only a game, so who cares if you miss a few Grand slams. Just ask Mariano Puerta...

2008 Bangkok singles
2006 Acapulco singles
2006 Costa Do Sauipe singles

2009 Halle doubles with Bavaria100
2008 Dubai doubles with Bavaria100
2007 Nottingham doubles w Bavaria100
2007 Costa Do Sauipe doubles w Bavaria100
2007 Vina Del Mar doubles w Bavaria100
2006 Acapulco doubles w Rosie
2006 Buenos Aires doubles w Rosie
invu2day is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 11:54 PM   #7
country flag savesthedizzle
#freeviktor

savesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond repute

I think we should stick to the ATP rules as well for the reasons Deccy and invu2day said.

savesthedizzle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:23 AM   #8
country flag Labamba

Sorry if I have given any false information, but I don't think you're seeing the bigger picture here. In my opinion the nature of the Tennis Tipping game is more suited to the 'WTA System', because it rewards long term consistency better than the 'ATP System'. In TT even if you're the #1 player in rankings, you're still not going to be sure of getting to the final stages of many tournaments, because the differences between players are very small (there's no Federers or Nadals in this game). This will mean that you will surely have several first round losses in your ranking, if there are mandatory tournaments. The success in the big tournaments will then be too important and luck will become a major factor in this game. I think we should reward consistency over luck (one good result in a GS for example) and I feel the WTA System is the better choice in this case. But this is just my opinion...
Old 03-05-2006, 11:34 AM   #9
country flag keqtqiadv
2013 WS CHAMPS

keqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond repute

My opinion: TMSs could be excluded from mandatory tournaments. But I still think we shouldn't replace GSs results. That's why my vote goes to ATP system.
keqtqiadv is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 12:12 PM   #10
country flag keqtqiadv
2013 WS CHAMPS

keqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond repute

In 2006, WTA ranking system has changed. Grand Slams and one Tier I are mandatory, therefore points won in these tournements must count in ranking, as part of the 17 best results of season. I've heard of it earlier, so I tried to clear my doubt.

Quote:
All players who qualify by ranking for acceptance into the Main Draw of a Grand Slam Tournament will be entered automatically. The ranking points earned by any player who competes in the Main Draw of a Grand Slam Tournament must count on a player’s ranking as one of her best 17 Tournament results. Any player who is originally accepted into the Main Draw of a Grand Slam Tournament, or becomes a direct acceptance and subsequently withdraws and therefore fails to play the Grand Slam Tournament, will automatically receive “0” points for the Tournament and it will count on that player’s ranking as one of her best 17 Tournament results.
All players who qualify by ranking (including Special Ranking) for acceptance into the Main Draw of the Mandatory Tier I Tournament will be entered automatically. The ranking points earned by any player who competes in the Main Draw of the Mandatory Tier I Tournament must count on a player’s ranking as one of her best 17 Tournament results. Any player who is originally accepted into the Main Draw of the Mandatory Tier I Tournament, or becomes a direct acceptance and subsequently withdraws and therefore fails to play the Mandatory Tier I Tournament, will automatically receive “0” points for the Tournament and it will count on that player’s ranking as one of her best 17 Tournament results.
Note of How the Rankins work, from official website of WTA tour.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:19 PM   #11
country flag keqtqiadv
2013 WS CHAMPS

I reiterate my opinion. Grands Slams should be mandatory tournaments. Even WTA uses it. But if we use TMSs as mandatory, problems stated by Labamba could occur. This is not a vote option, but I think it would suit well in TT. I go for only GSs being mandatory tournaments.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:11 PM   #12
country flag Taz Warrior

Taz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labamba
Sorry if I have given any false information, but I don't think you're seeing the bigger picture here. In my opinion the nature of the Tennis Tipping game is more suited to the 'WTA System', because it rewards long term consistency better than the 'ATP System'. In TT even if you're the #1 player in rankings, you're still not going to be sure of getting to the final stages of many tournaments, because the differences between players are very small (there's no Federers or Nadals in this game). This will mean that you will surely have several first round losses in your ranking, if there are mandatory tournaments. The success in the big tournaments will then be too important and luck will become a major factor in this game. I think we should reward consistency over luck (one good result in a GS for example) and I feel the WTA System is the better choice in this case. But this is just my opinion...
I agree with Labamba's points here
Taz Warrior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 01:03 AM   #13
country flag invu2day

invu2day has a reputation beyond reputeinvu2day has a reputation beyond reputeinvu2day has a reputation beyond reputeinvu2day has a reputation beyond reputeinvu2day has a reputation beyond reputeinvu2day has a reputation beyond reputeinvu2day has a reputation beyond reputeinvu2day has a reputation beyond reputeinvu2day has a reputation beyond reputeinvu2day has a reputation beyond reputeinvu2day has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by keqtqiadv
I reiterate my opinion. Grands Slams should be mandatory tournaments. Even WTA uses it. But if we use TMSs as mandatory, problems stated by Labamba could occur. This is not a vote option, but I think it would suit well in TT. I go for only GSs being mandatory tournaments.
Having read all the opinions my vote now goes to keqtqiadv's opinion. I can fully understand Deccy's reasoning and totally concur with the issues Labamba has brought up.

So may be the best compromise would be to go with neither of the Poll Options but instead go with Keqtqiadv's opinion of Grand Slams being mandatory plus best 14 other results.

So my vote goes with Keqtqiadv's opinion

2008 Bangkok singles
2006 Acapulco singles
2006 Costa Do Sauipe singles

2009 Halle doubles with Bavaria100
2008 Dubai doubles with Bavaria100
2007 Nottingham doubles w Bavaria100
2007 Costa Do Sauipe doubles w Bavaria100
2007 Vina Del Mar doubles w Bavaria100
2006 Acapulco doubles w Rosie
2006 Buenos Aires doubles w Rosie
invu2day is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 01:05 PM   #14
country flag Taz Warrior

Taz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by keqtqiadv
Well, the poll's turning out to be inconclusive - no real swing either way so perhaps keqdqiadv's compromise solution is the best way forward.
Taz Warrior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 01:56 PM   #15
country flag Labamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by invu2day
So may be the best compromise would be to go with neither of the Poll Options but instead go with Keqtqiadv's opinion of Grand Slams being mandatory plus best 14 other results.

So my vote goes with Keqtqiadv's opinion
I'm in favour of this compromise solution too.

How about others? Deccy