Andy Articles!!!!!! - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-01-2003, 02:06 AM   #1
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute
Post Andy Articles!!!!!!

Hi everyone! Hope you all had a delicious and wonderful Thanksgiving!

I decided to start this new thread where we can post and store all the articles on Andy/tennis that we come across. That way, we can keep them all in one place and not have to create a new thread for every story we find. And it'll be a great place where new fans can catch up on old news on our guy.

Here's a new one I found today. Enjoy!

http://sportsnetwork.com/default.asp...BCN2921333.htm

BIG THINGS EXPECTED FROM YOUNG AMERICANS IN 2004

By Scott Riley, Tennis Editor

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - The great Andre Agassi still looms large, but the crop of young Americans, spearheaded by world No. 1 Andy Roddick, should wreak havoc on the ATP next season.

Pete Sampras is gone and the current world No. 4 Agassi, at the age of 33, is always a year-to-year proposition to return to the tour, so the American youngsters (aside from Roddick) need to stake their claim on the circuit to give us the next pack of American stars, i.e. Sampras, Agassi, Michael Chang, Jim Courier and Todd Martin.

The 21-year-old Roddick has already arrived, as evidenced by his world No. 1 ranking, his title in the Champions Race and his first-ever Grand Slam crown at the 2003 U.S. Open. The Nebraska native heads up the "New Balls Please" generation, which includes the likes of international stalwarts Roger Federer, Juan Carlos Ferrero, Guillermo Coria, Lleyton Hewitt and Marat Safin (when he's playing).

Roddick was second on tour this year with six titles, including lucrative back-to-back Masters Series shields in Montreal and Cincinnati, and eclipsed more than $3 million in prize money. His big victory in Cincy came at the expense of his good friend Mardy Fish, who is perhaps the Americans' next-best young star. Fish had a match point against Roddick in Cincy, but Roddick was able to blast his way out of trouble en route to a three-set win at the ATP Tennis Center.

The hard-hitting Roddick reached at least the semis in three of the four Slams this year, including his popular title run in New York.

The 21-year-old Fish, who will turn 22 on December 9, possesses a lethal service game (like his buddy Roddick) and has been improving every year. The Minnesota native finished '03 at No. 20 in the world, giving him his first top-20 finish, and his first career ATP title came in Stockholm in October.

The American charge is joined by world No. 32 Robby Ginepri, No. 33 Taylor Dent and No. 37 James Blake. And if you wanted, you could toss No. 29 Vincent Spadea and No. 51 Jan-Michael Gambill into the mix, but Spadea is no youngster at 29, nor is Gambill at 26...so let's forget them in this equation.

Ginepri is most certainly on the rise. The Florida native, like Fish, also broke through for his first career title this season, albeit at a weak tourney in Newport where he beat lefthanded Austrian Jurgen Melzer in a grass-court final on the grounds at the Tennis Hall of Fame.

The 21-year-old Ginepri is fresh off his non-ATP title in Portland, where he captured the inaugural SuperSet competition, an eight-man, one-set, sudden- death, winner-take-all tourney created by Australian sports promoter Steven Duvall. The windfall for Ginepri's title was $250,000, not bad considering that's more than half of what he earned for the entire '03 season ($469,121). The Portland field included the likes of Agassi, Dent, Blake, Spadea and Gambill -- Ginepri's victim in the final.

Dent, the son of former ATPer Phil Dent of Australia, is another one of the huge-serving Americans, and his game could carry him far at important places like Wimbledon and Flushing.

The 22-year-old Californian blasted his way to a trio of championships in '03, including a big upset against his countryman Roddick in a final in Memphis. His other titles came back-to-back in Bangkok and Moscow, where he upended the French Open champion and U.S. Open runner-up Ferrero and Sargis Sargsian in the respective finals. Dent soared into the fourth round at the U.S. Open, only to lose to the ageless Agassi.

Blake is still part of the young American pack, but he dropped off a bit this year after finishing at No. 22 in '02. Blake, who will turn 24 next month, crossed the finish line at No. 37 this season, one in which the New Yorker failed to title and dropped five of his last six matches, including three opening-round setbacks. Needless to say, the athletic star is looking forward to a bounce-back year in 2004.

If you want to talk Davis Cup, I think the Americans realistically can win it next year, even without Agassi. With singles options like Roddick, Fish, Ginepri and Dent, and a world No. 1 doubles team, which currently is the Bryan brothers (Bob and Mike), captain McEnroe (Patrick McEnroe, that is) should be chompin' at the bit for the February tie versus Austria.

By the way, the 31-time champion U.S. hasn't hoisted the 103-year-old Davis Cup since 1995 and hasn't reached the final since '97 when it was destroyed by Sweden, 5-0. Ouch!!!

Don't be surprised if as many as five Americans (Roddick, Agassi, Fish, Ginepri, Dent) reside inside the top 20 next year. Maybe that's not a stretch, considering Roddick, Agassi and Fish are already there, so I guess I'm predicting that Ginepri and Dent will join the exclusive club.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2003, 02:10 AM   #2
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andy Articles!!!!!!

tangerine! Hope you had a fab holiday We've missed you!

anyway this is a great idea I saw this article a couple days ago, must've forgotten to post, but it's a great one! Haven't seen much other news on Andy though, it's quiet time!

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 07:01 AM   #3
country flag J. Corwin
psychotic banana

J. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back Tangerine! *hugs*

Thanks for the article.

"For seven and a half years I've worked alongside President Reagan. We've had triumphs. Made some mistakes. We've had some sex...uh...setbacks."
George H.W. Bush, 1988

"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family."
George W. Bush, 2000

15.5 - 40.5 ... 2,1,1 demolition job
(fan club spots are still open! )
J. Corwin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 03:00 PM   #4
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Aww, thanks guys! I missed you too, but am glad to be back and talking all things Andy again. Hee!
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
Old 12-01-2003, 03:05 PM   #5
Last dance, Andy

Hey, did you guys see this in USA Today Weekend?

Will tennis prodigy Andy Roddick match or surpass Tiger Woods in terms of fan popularity, commercial endorsements and tournament winnings?

Not anytime soon, says sports business writer Darren Rovell, of ESPN.com. Roddick, 21, has 11 singles titles, two doubles titles and one Grand Slam win (at this year's U.S. Open) -- great for the short time he's been playing. But he'll have to remain a consistent winner to match Woods' 52 career titles and eight major championships. Woods, 27, had $41 million in tournament winnings through 2002; Roddick's take was $4 million. As for popularity, "America likes winners," Rovell says, and winnings play directly into bankability. "Companies are willing to spend more if you win more." Roddick's deal with Reebok hasn't done as much to raise his profile as Nike's golf brand has for Woods. But a Roddick-centered reality show, now in development, just might.

======

Wow, I didn't realize Tiger Woods had made so much money! I'd love to see Andy in the sports celebrity realm of Tiger Woods. (If the USTA can ever get its act together that is )

Mugs Tennis Forums
Old 12-01-2003, 06:08 PM   #6
country flag Havok
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Havok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond repute

i've heard people say that Tiger Woods gets like 1 million $ JUST for showing up to the damn event but yeah Andy's on the path, even if he won't win as much as Tiger does in their respective domains, Andy IS marketable, the most marketable tennis player in the ATP circuit. more power to Andy. if all those haters are already sick of the Roddick media blitz, then i wanna see them in the near future

Havok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 06:37 PM   #7
country flag J. Corwin
psychotic banana

J. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond repute

lol. Andy will probably not reach the sports celeb fame of Tiger, but he definitely can increase his profile.

"For seven and a half years I've worked alongside President Reagan. We've had triumphs. Made some mistakes. We've had some sex...uh...setbacks."
George H.W. Bush, 1988

George W. Bush, 2000

Last edited by 1jackson2001 : 12-02-2003 at 01:27 AM.
Old 12-02-2003, 12:07 AM   #8
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

I read it Tiger's crazy... and engaged to a very pretty Swedish girl lol.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 12-02-2003, 02:58 AM   #9
country flag MisterQ

MisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re: Andy Articles!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunk18bsb
I read it Tiger's crazy... and engaged to a very pretty Swedish girl lol.
Doesn't sound crazy to me!
MisterQ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 03:25 AM   #10
country flag Deboogle!.

I didn't mean Tiger's crazy so much as all the hoopla surrounding him lol

Old 12-02-2003, 04:55 AM   #11
heya
Banned!

heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute

hmmm, how much more depth is in the field of competitors in each sport?
Tennis players don't
get an ounce of respect that golf players get--seeing
how much fewer consistent players challenge Tiger.
Tennis is extremely hard on the body and mind
while in golf, you could take long breaks, just walk casually, make many
mistakes and still win.
Tiger has no chance in tennis...Andy could play decent golf.
Tiger
was on TV when he was 3.
Andy didn't play tennis
until he was much older-didn't plan on turning pro until he was 16.
Tennis still rules no matter how much more money
Tiger makes.
heya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 06:37 AM   #12
country flag J. Corwin
psychotic banana

I wouldn't go as far as saying Andy can play decent golf. We don't know.

Tiger's sport is just more highly respected and popular than Andy's sport.

George H.W. Bush, 1988

George W. Bush, 2000

Old 12-02-2003, 01:12 PM   #13
heya
Banned!

heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute

Decent as in not bad, but of course, Andy would
fall asleep before finishing a putt.

Tiger can't even rally with the #1000 tennis player.
No way in hell does
golf keep most people's interest like tennis does.
heya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 03:29 PM   #14
Last dance, Andy

Default Top 10 Matches of 2003

I swiped this from the ATP site. It says a lot about Andy as a player for giving us three of the most memorable matches this year.

Top 10 Matches of 2003!

With so many outstanding matches in 2003, it was no easy task picking this list. Here is a look back, in no particular order, at our Top 10 matches of 2003!

Andy Roddick vs Younes El Aynaoui (Australian Open)
In an epic encounter in the Rod Laver Arena, it took 40 games in a dramatic fifth set before a winner emerged from this drama-infused duel. It was a match for the record books, with the longest fifth set, in terms of games played, since the beginning of the Open Era in 1968. And with a total of 83 games, it was the longest match in number of games at the Australian Open since the tie-break was instituted (for all but the deciding set) in 1971. Roddick fought off a match point at 4-5 in the fifth set before winning 4-6, 7-6(5), 4-6, 6-4, 21-19.

Roger Federer vs Scott Draper (Cincinnati)
Federer saved an astonishing seven match points against Draper in this nail-biter at the Western & Southern Financial Group Masters in Cincinnati. The recently crowned Wimbledon champion pulled out all the stops in this battle, saving four consecutive match points against the free-swinging Australian veteran at 2-6 down in the third set tie-break, before eventually triumphing 4-6, 6-3, 7-6(10).

Albert Costa vs Tommy Robredo (Roland Garros)
Costa gave new meaning to the term 'marathon man' at this year's Roland Garros, winning four five-set matches and playing more than 18 hours of tennis through his first five rounds of play. Against Robredo, Costa looked down and out at two sets to love down, but much like he had done in earlier rounds against Sergio Roitman and Nicolas Lapentti, the defending champion mounted a miraculous comeback to win 2-6, 3-6, 6-4, 7-5, 6-2.

Andy Roddick vs Mardy Fish (Cincinnati)
These two close friends and former housemates put on a thrilling display of hard court tennis in the final of the Western & Southern Financial Group Masters in Cincinnati. Fish earned himself two match points and did not drop his serve throughout the match, but still failed to stop Roddick claiming his second Tennis Masters Series title in as many weeks (after Montreal). Roddick, whose win sent him above Roger Federer at the top of the ATP Champions Race, battled through to win 4-6, 7-6(4), 7-6(3).

Tim Henman vs Sebastian Grosjean (Paris)
In front of a raucous Paris crowd, Henman exacted revenge on Grosjean who had beaten him this year on home soil at Queen's and Wimbledon. The Brit clawed his way back from a one set deficit to earn a 3-6, 6-4, 7-5 win in 2 hours and 22 minutes. Henman continued on to record successive wins over Gustavo Kuerten, Roger Federer, Andy Roddick and Andrei Pavel in one of the most impressive title runs on the ATP circuit this year.

Guillermo Coria vs David Ferrer (Sopot)
Coria's 7-5, 6-1 victory in the Idea Prokom Open final in Sopot over David Ferrer capped a remarkable three week stretch for the Argentine, who claimed his third title in as many weeks, without losing a single set in 15 matches. Coria's streak started in Stuttgart where he defeated Tommy Robredo in the final with the loss of just five games, before triumphing in Kitzbuhel the following week with a similarly convincing win in the final over Nicolas Massu. No player had won three titles in three weeks since Thomas Muster in 1996 (Estoril, Barcelona, Monte Carlo).

Andy Roddick vs David Nalbandian (US Open)
Nalbandian was just one point shy of upsetting Roddick in this blockbuster US Open semifinal. The Argentine dominated the encounter from the outset but failed to close out the match in the third set tie-break, allowing Roddick to set about an enthralling five-set comeback victory. The American showed his true colors at match point down in the third set tie-break, blasting down a 138mph service winner and never looked back, triumphing 6-7(4), 3-6, 7-6(7), 6-3, 6-1.

Andre Agassi vs Fernando Gonzalez (Washington)
Big-hitting Gonzalez came from a set and a break down to topple top-seeded Agassi in a dramatic three set encounter in the semifinals of the Legg Mason Tennis Classic in Washington. Gonzalez's comeback looked to be on course as he led 4-2 in the final set but another momentum swing saw Agassi break back to take the match to a decisive third set tie-break. Gonzalez pulled out some blistering winners when it mattered, sealing a classic encounter 3-6, 6-4, 7-6(5) to deny Agassi the chance to win a sixth Washington crown.

Jiri Novak vs Roger Federer (Gstaad)
Federer, who was coming off two grass-court title wins in Halle and Wimbledon, looked to be mastering the clay on home soil in Gstaad with consummate ease, as he looked to be headed to a third consecutive title. Novak had other ideas however, ending the Swiss star's 15-match winning streak with a shock 5-7, 6-3, 6-3, 1-6, 6-3 marathon win in two hours and 49 minutes. Novak had pulled off a similar upset in the Gstaad 2001 final, when he defeated Juan Carlos Ferrero.

Nicolas Lapentti vs Victor Hanescu (Davis Cup World Group Play-Off)
Lapentti headed into his match against Hanescu needing a win to keep his country alive in this World Group Play-Off tie in Quito. The No.1 Ecuadorian did just that - and how. To the delight of the home crowd, Lapentti outlasted Hanescu 6-4, 6-7(4), 6-7(5), 7-6(12), 6-3 to take the tie to a decisive fifth rubber. Romania finally edged the tie 7-5 in the fifth set of the fifth rubber to close the curtain on this memorable encounter. All five matches went to five sets and accounted for nearly 20 hours of play at 2,800 meters above sea-level.

Mugs Tennis Forums
Old 12-02-2003, 03:33 PM   #15
country flag MisterQ

MisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond repute

heya, I agree with you about tennis being WAY more exciting and interesting than golf. i can't figure out why it is surpassing tennis in terms of public interest (or maybe tiger is the answer...).

however, in terms of tiger's position within his sport, andy cannot even compare. this is not to diss andy, just to say that tiger is so extraordinary, he has raised the bar to a level that was considered impossible.

but tennis is the best, agreed 100%!
MisterQ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote