Don't be afraid of some dirt - U.S. Men's Claycourt Championship - Page 9 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-11-2006, 04:36 PM   #121

Default Re: Don't be afraid of some dirt - U.S. Men's Claycourt Championship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinuera
I think I will never figure out if it was him or someone else answering me. it actually doesnt really matter. His whole showing at the ARAG 2004 was very nice and refreshing. He can play decent stuff on clay when he is on
He can play decent stuff on hard courts also when he is on, but the problem is this year he just can't seem to be "on"
View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2006, 04:40 PM   #122
country flag rrfnpump
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

rrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae
He can play decent stuff on hard courts also when he is on, but the problem is this year he just can't seem to be "on"
his forhand can be a real weapon on clay. If he gets his spin working he can really do some damage with his FH. His serve and BH are not that dangerous on clay. I hope he starts to play better soon. I want him to win at the ARAG
Old 04-11-2006, 04:47 PM   #123

Quote:
his forhand can be a real weapon on clay. If he gets his spin working he can really do some damage with his FH. His serve and BH are not that dangerous on clay. I hope he starts to play better soon. I want him to win at the ARAG
I am to the point now of just wanting him to win anywhere
Old 04-11-2006, 05:52 PM   #124
country flag bavaria100

bavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond reputebavaria100 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I want him to win at the ARAG
We all want him to win at the ARAG, but as of now, I think he'll lose all 3 matches.

29 years ago, one young man conquered the world of Formula 1: Ayrton Senna. You´ll never be forgotten!!!

2012: Year of my TT Comeback
Singles – W: Sarasota, Lexington, Rennes, Challenger Tour Finals F: Orleans SF: Indian Harbour QF: Caloundra, Busan, Vancouver, Istanbul, Medellin, Champaign Doubles – W: Meknes (w/gulzhan) F: Burnie (w/Vilnietė), Sarasota (w/Igorche), Busan (w/Cheeky Chick), St. Remy (w/BrazilTBfan) SF: Indian Harbour (w/Broseghini), Istanbul (w/Mahqz) Won "Challenger Player of the Year" Award
bavaria100 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:00 PM   #125
country flag rrfnpump
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

rrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavaria100
We all want him to win at the ARAG, but as of now, I think he'll lose all 3 matches.
ich werd schon dafür sorgen, dass er gewinnt
sei nicht so pessimistisch
Old 04-11-2006, 06:28 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavaria100
I agree with you again sad to say I don't know what has happened to Robby that he couldn't carry his last year's results over to this year James did and look at him now
Old 04-11-2006, 09:49 PM   #127
country flag I♥PsY@Mus!c

I♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond reputeI♥PsY@Mus!c has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Don't be afraid of some dirt - U.S. Men's Claycourt Championship

The defeat wasn't too hard to accept.He has nothing to lose right now because he has nothing on clay,but it will be great to surprise us. I just don't understand why he skips MC. He can't hide from himself to play USA only.

Cheer for: Ljubicic Gonzalez Murray Mahut Soderling Tipsarevic Mathieu Simon Muller Tsonga Berdych Kohlschreiber Wawrinka Acasuso Almagro O.Rochus Kiefer...
I♥PsY@Mus!c is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:55 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaDiCaLgIrL♥TR
The defeat wasn't too hard to accept.He has nothing to lose right now because he has nothing on clay,but it will be great to surprise us. I just don't understand why he skips MC. He can't hide from himself to play USA only.
I'm afraid anything to keep the U.S. men tennis players home is used. Robby promised to show up for something here in the U.S. Idolwatcher1 posted about it I can't remember what it was now. But they need the work on clay
Old 04-12-2006, 03:59 AM   #129
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck on clay tomorrow.
Lee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 05:27 AM   #130
country flag idolwatcher1

idolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Robby could use a win during doubles tomorrow... he has a decent chance to win, but I dunno...

I feel like Robby must master his movement on clay to become better at it... Montanes was giving Robby drop shots, but was Robby able to move like he needed to, to hit the ball back effectively?? I'm thinking no... I'm also thinking (based on what I read of the match) that Robby probably would have done much better holding serve if his first-serve percentage was higher... his second serve on clay was probably all the ammunition Montanes needed to break Robby (which he did twice in the second set to seal his win)...

Mr. Montana, where R U? And what have you done with your former self?
idolwatcher1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 02:08 PM   #131
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

What was his first serve %?

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 12:17 AM   #132

idolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond repute

^ I have no idea, but the highest Robby's first serve percentage was in a 2006 match, was 77%, which is high, but there's still room for higher... (and BTW, he won the match that he got that 77% in)

I think we have something to smile about! Robby apparently won his doubles match today! I wanted him to win a match in Houston, so I guess this was something he could feel good about there! :P
Old 04-13-2006, 12:41 AM   #133
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

77% is ridiculous. Robby has a pretty good serve - if he's anywhere in the mid-60s he should be OK. I think 77% or anything even from high 60s up is a lot to ask from almost any player (except maybe.... coria)... there may technically be room for higher, but not really practically. So we have no idea how Robby served in the match, maybe that wasn't even the problem.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 04-13-2006, 04:54 AM   #134

May I remind you, the 77% was the only time this year that Robby served over 65% (of first serves) for a match, and he happened to win that match!

Out of the current Top 50 players, Robby has one of the overall 15 lowest first-serve percentages this year... And who joins him? Hanescu (who hasn't won a match this year), Gasquet, Monfils, Verdasco, & Rusedski (all of whom have lost more matches than they have won this year)... Coria also

Robby has typically won at least 70% of points on his first serve... so I'm pretty confident that if he got more first serves in, he'd be winning more points, and thus not getting broken as easily, or as often. There's always other factors that can contribute to a loss, but this one stands out to me... I guess because the last set he played in Miami, his first-serve % was 39! Opponents are much more confident when they continue to get weaker second serves coming their way, especially on a surface like clay...
Old 04-13-2006, 05:30 PM   #135
country flag Deboogle!.

I agree that first serves are important for pretty much any player on any surface, I never said otherwise..... but we don't even know how Robby served the other night....there's simply no way to know. But this particular matchup on this particular surface and it's entirely possible Robby was just simply outplayed.