Comparisons Between Federer & sampras. - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-28-2006, 07:30 PM   #1
country flag angiel

angiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Comparisons Between Federer & sampras.

Sampras Calls Federer Comparisons Valid

By HOWARD FENDRICH
AP Sports Writer

February 28, 2006, 1:56 PM CST

All those comparisons between Roger Federer and Pete Sampras are right on the mark. Sampras himself says so.

"They're all very valid: Not only is he winning majors, but the way he's winning them -- with pretty much ease. He's pretty much the favorite in every major for the rest of his career," Sampras said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press.

"Clearly, he's head and shoulders above the rest. I don't see anyone pushing him over the next three or four years."

Sampras knows his record of 14 Grand Slam tournament titles could very well be threatened by Federer, who has seven so far. Time for the 34-year-old Sampras to come out of retirement and try to add to his total? Not quite.

Sampras is returning to the tennis court, though, signing up for the World Team Tennis Pro League more than three years after his last match.

"This is more about just getting myself a little busier and focused on something I used to be good at," he said ahead of Wednesday's announcement by the league. "It's time this year to do a little more. Last year, I was kind of floating along."

His last professional match was the 2002 U.S. Open final, when he beat longtime rival Andre Agassi. As much as he says he's looking forward to playing in the WTT, Sampras made one thing quite clear: Don't call it a comeback.

"I miss playing the game. I miss the majors. I miss competing. But to play at the level I used to play is a whole other animal. I've done that, and I know what it takes," he told the AP. "Me playing a little tennis this year is something I can control; there isn't any pressure. I can relax and have a little fun. Coming back is not something that crossed my mind."

While it's tough for him to watch Wimbledon, where he won seven championships, Sampras keeps tabs on the game.

And he's impressed by the top-ranked Federer.

"He moves great, does everything very well. He's gotten to a point that when he's not at his best, he's finding ways to win, and that separates him from the rest," Sampras said, a moment before making sure to bolster his own credentials a tad.

"There are less great players today than there was when I was playing," he continued. "I just see him carrying on with what he's been doing. He's got the whole package. He doesn't have any holes in his game."

Federer has won Wimbledon three years in a row, and he's won the past three majors: Wimbledon, the U.S. Open and the Australian Open. The Swiss star heads to the French Open in May with a chance to complete a Grand Slam, albeit not in a calendar year.

The French Open is the only major Federer hasn't won; Sampras never made it past the semifinals at Roland Garros.

"Clay will be the toughest surface for Roger," Sampras said. "If things go right, if the weather's right, I think he can win it."

Sampras has never played in the WTT, a 12-team league that in recent years has featured such stars as Agassi, Steffi Graf, John McEnroe, Martina Navratilova, Andy Roddick and Venus Williams. Sampras will be chosen by a team in the March 28 draft and expects to play about a half-dozen matches during the July 6-26 regular season.

WTT co-founder Billie Jean King unsuccessfully tried to persuade Sampras to participate in the league while he was on tour.

"He's definitely someone that we wanted," WTT commissioner Ilana Kloss said. "We're just thrilled that Pete's going to be back out there, and fans will get an opportunity to see him again."

Sampras also will be appearing in an exhibition match at Houston in April. He said he's thought about working as a TV commentator, but he's not interested in coaching.

"When you retire, you take time away, you don't want to have anything to do with tennis. After two years of having fun and not doing much in the sport, you get a little bored and want to know what's the next chapter in your life. Last year was a turning point -- 'What am I going to do next?' -- and I had to make a decision," Sampras said.

"Playing in front of some people -- you kind of look forward to it a little bit."

Copyright © 2006, The Associated Press
angiel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2006, 08:03 PM   #2
country flag angiel

angiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond reputeangiel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comparisons Between Federer & sampras.

Fed-Ex matches Pistol Pete

rediff Sports Bureau | February 25, 2006 16:54 IST

Ever since Roger Federer beat Pete Sampras in the fourth round at Wimbledon in 2001, he has been hailed as Sampras' successor on grass.

Five years since, Federer is threatening to topple Sampras as the best modern-day player, ever.

The American, when at his peak, looked like a one-in-a-lifetime player. But it took only 10 years before Federer was born.

Australian legend Rod Laver, the only player to win all four Grand Slams the same year twice, thinks Federer can win a Grand Slam of titles.

Andre Agassi, after the 2005 US Open final, proclaimed that the Swiss was the best he had ever played against.

At 24, Federer has seven Grand Slam titles. Sampras retired with the most men's singles Slams in history --14.

ATP released statistics that show their amazingly similar career paths, separated by exactly 10 years.

Birthdate Sampras: August 12, 1971
Birthdate Federer: August 8, 1981

Winning % Sampras: 0.773 (437-128)
Winning % Federer: 0.765 (391-120)

Titles Sampras: 36
Titles Federer: 33

Year Sampras' Reign began: at the 1993 Wimbledon contest(it was his 5th Wimbledon competition and the 17th major he had entered)
Year Federer's Reign began: at the 2003 Wimbledon contest (it was his 5th Wimbledon and the 17th major he had entered)

Sampras' peak period: Won 6 out of 10 majors 1993 Wimbledon to 1995 US Open
Federer's peak period: Won 6 out of 10 majors 2003 Wimbledon to 2005 US Open

Sampras' Grand Slam record: 1 Australian Open, 3 Wimbledon titles, 2 US Open titles
Federer's Grand Slam record: 1 Australian Open, 3 Wimbledon titles, 2 US Open titles

Wimbledon Sampras: 1993-1995
Wimbledon Federer: 2003-2005

Major stumble Sampras: Roland Garros, 3 quarterfinals
Major stumble Federer: Roland Garros, semifinal, quarterfinal, 4th round

Masters Cup Sampras: 1991, 1994
Masters Cup Federer: 2003, 2004

Sampras at No. 1 slot: 109 weeks
Federer at No. 1 slot: 100 weeks

The list does not include Federer's 2006 Australian Open victory. The period up until January 1996 is considered for Sampras and the one up until January 2006 for Federer.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:20 PM   #3
country flag almouchie

almouchie has a reputation beyond reputealmouchie has a reputation beyond reputealmouchie has a reputation beyond reputealmouchie has a reputation beyond reputealmouchie has a reputation beyond reputealmouchie has a reputation beyond reputealmouchie has a reputation beyond reputealmouchie has a reputation beyond reputealmouchie has a reputation beyond reputealmouchie has a reputation beyond reputealmouchie has a reputation beyond repute

even the words coming out of the king's mouth still hurt
Federer is not being challenged & till he is u cannt really tell his fight agaisnt adversity & his ability to battle hard
his lastest AO win was the first where he was made to sweat & try hard as he wasnt playing that well at times
hope someone stops him in RG, cannt stand a federer slam
Old 03-02-2006, 08:09 PM   #4
country flag angiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by almouchie
even the words coming out of the king's mouth still hurt
Federer is not being challenged & till he is u cannt really tell his fight agaisnt adversity & his ability to battle hard
his lastest AO win was the first where he was made to sweat & try hard as he wasnt playing that well at times
hope someone stops him in RG, cannt stand a federer slam

Maybe somebody will, Nadal is back playing.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:52 AM   #5
country flag the_natural

the_natural has a reputation beyond reputethe_natural has a reputation beyond reputethe_natural has a reputation beyond reputethe_natural has a reputation beyond reputethe_natural has a reputation beyond reputethe_natural has a reputation beyond reputethe_natural has a reputation beyond reputethe_natural has a reputation beyond reputethe_natural has a reputation beyond reputethe_natural has a reputation beyond reputethe_natural has a reputation beyond repute

Safin has the talent. Tomas Berdych is very talented and better from the baseline than Federer (in terms of the strength of his shots and the power of his backhand, his speed is greater though and equal in anticipation. He is a young safin... sad that his head is the same as safin). Haas was definatley the one to stop him but the 6-2 score in the final set was deceptive because Haas had break point and his string broke just before he was gonna make a passing shot and then he didnt adjust to the new racquet soon enough. It was really tight until federer got the lucky break, and that was only his 3rd tournament (2nd ATP pro tour/non exhibition tournament and First Grandslam) ther was alot for him to deal with. He shoulda won !!!
the_natural is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 09:10 PM   #6
country flag angiel

Maybe he will get his revenge on him at the french open, Safin is a sad case, he could make life harder for Roger, but he is a joke to the sport.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:49 AM   #7
country flag Mimi

Mimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond repute

roger is a great champion, and he may break pete's most grand slams records, but untill he reached this goal, pete was and is still the king , i feel very angry that posters critise pete for saying roger has less competitors than him, the king is just giving his opinion, he has not put down roger, i am so angry to read posters saying pete jerk BS, etc, so i scold them back

Epic movies, like brokeback mountain, are seldom found in the industry or worthy for the mainstream viewer. As often as I have watched the clips of this movie, I always find something more to it. For one, the gay stuff doesn't enter the picture for me, only the dimension of the highest love I have ever witnessed in life or on film.
Mimi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 07:15 AM   #8
country flag the_natural

the_natural has a reputation beyond reputethe_natural has a reputation beyond reputethe_natural has a reputation beyond reputethe_natural has a reputation beyond reputethe_natural has a reputation beyond reputethe_natural has a reputation beyond reputethe_natural has a reputation beyond reputethe_natural has a reputation beyond reputethe_natural has a reputation beyond reputethe_natural has a reputation beyond reputethe_natural has a reputation beyond repute

Yeh but rogers fans are all f%$#ed in the head, there are very very few who really understand tennis and dont just see it in Black and White, and even fewer level headed Federer fans they think that Serve Volleying is an easier style than baselining and some think that its almost cheating and all this BS dumbasses
Old 03-04-2006, 08:18 AM   #9
country flag Greg-Pete fan

Greg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond reputeGreg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond reputeGreg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond reputeGreg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond reputeGreg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond reputeGreg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond reputeGreg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond reputeGreg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond reputeGreg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond reputeGreg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond reputeGreg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal will have a chance to beat Federer in Dubai final
Greg-Pete fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 01:01 PM   #10
country flag the_natural

I hear its a heavy ball, there were complaints, alot of them, from players about how it can injure the player cos its heavy, and the windy conditions, all in his favour, slow things down and also there will be little margin for error if the wind picks up, Nadal has lots and lots of topspin, more than any player in history i believe, and so that will help combat the wind. I hope he wins, the conditions should be in his favour
Old 03-04-2006, 04:40 PM   #11
country flag Greg-Pete fan

Greg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond reputeGreg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond reputeGreg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond reputeGreg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond reputeGreg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond reputeGreg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond reputeGreg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond reputeGreg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond reputeGreg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond reputeGreg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond reputeGreg-Pete fan has a reputation beyond repute

He has done it !!! He has just beaten Roger, 2-6,6-4,6-4 !!!
Greg-Pete fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 06:41 PM   #12
country flag angiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg-Pete fan
Nadal will have a chance to beat Federer in Dubai final

And I hope he does, Roger really needs someone who can set him back on his feet.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:42 PM   #13
country flag angiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg-Pete fan
He has done it !!! He has just beaten Roger, 2-6,6-4,6-4 !!!

Hoooooorrrrraayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:15 AM   #14
country flag the_natural

YESSS I KNOW, But Lookin back, things were in Rogers Favour, Nadal is just in his second tournament back, but Rogers is in his 3 pro tournament, if we dont count the Exhibition tournament at Kooyyong where he lost to Haas. And Roger also won 29 of his 56 Hard Court Matche winning streak matches at this place (he beat Petes Record for most Consecutive hard court matches, Pete was in the 30s i believe and did it twice), Roger won this title 3 consecutive times and has a better finals record than Nadal who is STILL only 19. Plus Federer Trains in this intense heat on a regular basis. Oh yeh and Federer won a Grandslam tournament this year so yes He had the odds in his favour. He was up a set too lol and he won it 6-2 So wat was up with losing.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:41 PM   #15
country flag angiel

The main thing is he lost, and he could do so again, Nadal is still here, isn't he.