Fabrice News and Articles - Page 9 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-14-2009, 01:21 PM   #121
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fabrice News and Articles

Mercredi 14 Octobre :
12h : Enregistrement France Inter Yves Calvi (diffusion le lendemain, 17h00)
17h30 – 18h30 : Enregistrement Interview I-télé Radio
20h – 23h : Enregistrement « On n’est pas couché » (diffusion samedi, 22h30, sur france 2)

Jeudi 15 Octobre :
13h30 : Enregistrement « Thé ou Café » (diffusion samedi, 9h00, sur france 2)
16h30 : TV5 <- for his fans outside of France
19h : Emission sur Europe 1 en direct avec Michel Drucker (en direct)

Samedi 17 Octobre :
12h et 14h : Emission sur RMC avec Serge Simon et Sarah Pitkowski (en direct)

Lundi 16 novembre :
12h : RTL « Les grosses têtes »

Mercredi 2 décembre :
14h 16h30 : RTL « La tête dans les étoiles » Laurent Boyer (en direct)
http://www.fabrice-santoro.fr/2009/1...s-rendez-vous/

And there are more to come.
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2009, 08:36 AM   #122
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

He says today in L'Equipe that if he keeps playing, Melbourne 2010 would be his last tournament instead of Bercy then and he wouldn't keep playing in 2010. It would be just because of that record of having played Slams in four different decades. He didn't know about it when he had decided to stop in Bercy, somebody told him about it during Roland-Garros.

(But I'm pretty sure he suggested with Ceylac that he considers playing "a few" events in 2010 and I doubt he meant Brisbane - je serais plus trop surprise qu'il vienne "refiler plusieurs petits coups de clé de 12", comme dirait Desproges.)

Last edited by Truc : 10-21-2009 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:32 PM   #123
country flag soulage

soulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond repute

They did a special ceremony for him last year in AO and he would come back lol Bercy plans nothing because they know the guy lol.
soulage is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:26 AM   #124
country flag soulage

soulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond repute

In lequipe it's written that it's decided he won't go in Melbourne. Bercy is the end.
soulage is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:25 AM   #125
country flag Truc

I bought his book in France and read it on the train, there's nothing new if you've already seen or read some of the interviews he gave during the promotion of his book.
The only new thing to me was the hint at one of the players he has tanked against because he was sure that this player was doped. He says it happened at the end of the 4th set of a very hard-fought match at the Australian Open. He was exhausted after a very long rallye, looked at his opponent, saw that the guy was looking fresh as a daisy, he knew then that the guy was a cheater and tanked the rest of the match. But I just looked up his record at the AO and there is hardly a loss matching his description? The Krajicek one?
It might be just a mistake too because there are quite a few in the book. For example he makes it sound like he has beaten some number 1 players when they were ranked at #1, which he hasn't, has he? Or a few facts which would have been very easy to check, like Wilander giving back a match point in Roland-Garros, he says it happened against Vilas - Wilander-Vilas was the final, Wilander didn't overrule a championship point! It was in the SF against Clerc, it's really not hard to remember for people of our generation. I know it's just a detail, but when there are repeated mistakes like this one, it discredits the whole thing a bit.

If somebody is interested, I can lend it or resell it. It might be nice for people who don't know tennis so well because he explains a lot of very simple things about the life on the tour.

Last edited by Truc : 01-01-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:44 AM   #126
country flag Bashak

Bashak has a reputation beyond reputeBashak has a reputation beyond reputeBashak has a reputation beyond reputeBashak has a reputation beyond reputeBashak has a reputation beyond reputeBashak has a reputation beyond reputeBashak has a reputation beyond reputeBashak has a reputation beyond reputeBashak has a reputation beyond reputeBashak has a reputation beyond reputeBashak has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
If somebody is interested, I can lend it or resell it. It might be nice for people who don't know tennis so well because he explains a lot of very simple things about the life on the tour.
I am interested, I will sen you a pm.

Suicide Tennis Winner: Doha 2010, Basel 2009 FITD Winner: Auckland 2012, Nice 2010, London WTF 2009, Tokyo 2009, Roland Garros 2009, Paris 2008, Basel 2008 TT Finalist: Nottingham 2009, Savannah 2009, Marrakech 2011. TT Doubles Winner: Sarasota 2011 (w/ coasterman9 TT Doubles Finalist: Bergamo 2011 (w/ leoneo), Fergana 2009 (w/ catatonia) DTT Doubles Winner: Miami 2011 (w/Abollo)
Bashak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:16 PM   #127
country flag Truc

I haven't forgotten you, Bashak, I ask my friend every other day about the book, but he hasn't finished it yet.

In Deuce:
Quote:
The Magician's Final Trick
by Paul Macpherson | 10.11.2009

Frenchman Fabrice Santoro, who played his final ATP World Tour tournament at the BNP Paribas Masters in Paris this month, reflects on his battles with a cavalcade of No. 1s during his remarkable career. In a two-part series beginning this week, Santoro talks about each of the 20 No. 1s he played.

Will there ever be another player like Fabrice Santoro? Defying the power era in which he played, the diminutive Frenchman mesmerised fans – and many opponents – with a double-handed slice-and-dice game of finesse, spins, slices and chicanery that could drive you mad – and bleed you to death with a thousand cuts. Santoro inflicted so much mental anguish on Marat Safin that he probably shortened the Russian's career by five years.

While Santoro is well known for his unique, ever-entertaining playing style, what is less well known is this: Santoro played 20 of the 24 players to ever hold the No. 1 ranking in the history of the South African Airways ATP Rankings (since 1973).

Santoro crafted 470 singles wins during his career and finished inside the Top 100 18 straight years, just one year shy of Andre Agassi's record. And he had some very impressive head-to-head records against several of the players to rank No. 1, including Pete Sampras (3-4), Agassi (3-3) and Safin (7-2). Oh, yes, and on the flip side, there was a 0-6 record against Yevgeny Kafelnikov, whom once brazenly told Santoro that he would never beat him.

In the first of our two-part series, Santoro talks about 10 of the 20 No. 1s he played:

Santoro vs. Boris Becker
Head-to-head: 1-1

Most Memorable Match: I remember playing him in the Masters in Miami in 1990, I was only 17 years old. It was in the second round. I qualified and beat Rosset in the first round and in the night session of Miami in Key Biscayne I was playing Boris Becker and I was so impressed. I remember I spent the whole afternoon at the hotel waiting for the match. I was so stressed. I couldn't believe I was going to play him at night in the strange atmosphere there.

I arrived at the stadium with my coach and I was feeling so small compared to him. I thought, 'He's going to kill me!' In this period he had a coach, his fitness coach, his physio, his stringer and me, I was just a young guy. I was already very small compared to him by size, but also on the court I said, "I have no chance to play against him, he's too big for me!" I played a good match and lost in three sets.

Tactics: (Miami 1990 and Barcelona Olympics 1992): Both times we played I enjoyed playing against him. His game was pretty good for mine because he was serving well but my return is one of the best parts of my game.

Santoro vs. Jim Courier
Head-to-head: 1-2

Most Memorable Match: I remember the first match we played in Brussels (in 1992) because in the winter time my serve was pretty weak and my coach and I decided we would not go to the Australian Open. We said, "Even if you are like No. 45 in the world, you won't go to the Australian Open. For three months you're going to stop competition to work on your serve." So I stopped at Paris-Bercy in the beginning of November until February and I worked every day on my serve. The first match I played on the tour was in Brussels in February and I arrived there and said, "Okay, I practised my serve for three months, now I'm like Boris Becker – I'm going to serve huge!"

I came on the court, we did a toss and I won and chose to serve – because I thought my serve would be unbelievable. The first game I served as hard as I could just trying to go for the ace. I only put one first serve in and I lost my serve like this in two minutes (laughing). I looked at my coach and said, "Good job. I stopped for three months and look at the result!" But anyway Jim was playing much better than me at this time and he killed me 6-2, 6-1. It was a great week for me when I beat him in Montreal in 1997.

Tactics: I remember his forehand was pretty big. We played a good match in Montreal and because I became more aggressive it was easier for me to play against him. At the beginning of my career he was too powerful for me.

Santoro vs. Marat Safin
Head-to-head: 7-2

Most Memorable Match: When Marat arrived on the tour he said, "It's a nightmare for me to play Santoro," but he was young. Talented, but young. Then he became No. 1 and he still said, "It's a nightmare for me to play Santoro." When I beat him in the Olympics in 2000 he had just won the US Open and Tashkent back-to-back and he had won Toronto also and he was No. 1, and I still beat him. Not because I was a better player, but because when I came on the court against him I was already a set and a break up because mentally he was completely down against me. Actually he beat me only once because in Halle [in 2005] I had a match point and I hurt my leg. You don't see this very often against me, retire.

Tactics: I think he was so negative against me and when I said, "If he wants to beat me he can, he's going to do it and he can do it easily," I was really thinking that. He had everything to beat me but he didn't believe in his chances.

Santoro vs. Pete Sampras
Head-to-head: 3-4

Most Memorable Match: I'm very proud of my record against Pete for a couple of reasons. First of all, because he is one of the best champions ever. Also, because when you play one of the best champions ever, at the end of his career to be 3-4 down is an unbelievable record for me. I beat him every time on clay and he beat me anywhere else in the world.

I remember the match I won in Monte-Carlo 6-1, 6-1 [in 1998] because that was one of the best matches I ever played against anyone. When you play Pete Sampras and you go out from the locker room onto the court you think you have a chance, or that you may lose, but you never think you are going to beat him 6-1, 6-1. I was so, so happy at the end of the match. Pete made me one of the best presents I ever had in my life, after the match he beat me in Indian Wells [in 2002] 7-5 in the third; he said I was 'a magician'.

Tactics: On clay he was serving big, but I was returning them to him most of the time and he was not moving well at the net. He was a big athlete, his footwork was very good but not made for clay. So I was passing him quite easily compared to on hard court.

Santoro vs. Andre Agassi
Head-to-head: 3-3

Most Memorable Match: I'm very proud about this record because he [Agassi] and Pete Sampras are two players I would pay for a ticket to see on court. I would say that the one we played in Washington [in 1999] was the best match we ever played together. I played a great match, but he was playing unbelievable that night. It was so humid and heavy in Washington and I don't think I've had a lot of chances to play better than this. He was just playing his best tennis this year in 1999 when he won the French. It was always a big, big pleasure for me to play against him because I love the way he played and his game fits pretty well with mine.

Tactics: I tried to make him play one more shot every time. I tried to go down the line with my backhand.

Santoro vs. Thomas Muster
Head-to-head: 4-3

Most Memorable Match: It's pretty strange because I never won one tournament on clay, because the clay is not made for my game. Muster was beating everybody on clay, but I beat him three times in a row on clay (Genova '92, Kitzbuehel '94, Monte-Carlo '97). I have no explanation for that.

Tactics: I was very aggressive; I was moving in, I was taking some risks, that's for sure. But what I can't explain is that he was beating everybody on clay, he was killing everybody, except me. And me, everybody was killing me on clay, except him. So it's pretty tough to explain.

Santoro vs. Marcelo Rios
Head-to-head: 1-3

Most Memorable Match: Rios was one of the biggest characters on the tour. The first time I played him I remember in Prague. One, it was a tough match. It was a big match. By the end he was pretty negative on the court, [had] a bad attitude on the court. I remember that he was one of the biggest talents I ever played. He could do anything with his arm – serve, backhand, forehand, volley. He moved well [and had] good eyes. He's one of the biggest talents we ever had in tennis in my opinion. I don't think he worked hard in most of his career, but when he was fit, when he was working professionally, he was playing unbelievable tennis. I remember when he became No. 1, he won Indian Wells and Miami in March, back-to-back.

Tactics: Normal. He was just too good when he was playing well.

Santoro vs. Carlos Moya
Head-to-head: 3-1

Most Memorable Match: Carlos is good for my game because he has a big serve and big forehand, but I can read his game pretty well. I remember the first time he beat me was in Indian Wells (in 2005).

Tactics: I was always happy to play against him because I could put a lot of pressure on his backhand; his backhand passing shot was not the best part of his game.

Santoro vs. Yevgeny Kafelnikov
Head-to-head: 0-6

Most Memorable Match: Kafelnikov was a nightmare for me! He was returning well and I couldn't serve and volley against him. His serve was not unbelievable but I could not put pressure on his serve because he was good enough to keep me back. When he was playing a backhand cross-court he was better than me and when he was playing a forehand cross-court he was better than me too. So at the end I had no solution at all.

One day he came to me and said: "Fabrice, you will never beat me." And when a Russian says that, you know that you will never beat him.

Santoro vs. Patrick Rafter
Head-to-head: 1-1

Most Memorable Match: It was always a great pleasure for me to play him; he's the best player for me because I really liked this guy. I had my best win ever on grass when I beat him in the semi-finals of Halle [in 2001]. We played almost back-to-back in 2001 and I played him in the semi-finals of Montreal when I reached my best ranking ever, 17. It was the best period of my life because I was No. 17, I had a one-month-old daughter, I had just become a dad so this period was big and great for me. I regretted that we didn't play more matches because with his game and mine it was a big pleasure to play him.

Tactics: It was important to return well. When we played it was mainly spectacular points because I was returning most of his serves but then he was slicing from the baseline. I was slicing too, so we were not playing very fast from the baseline, but it was spectacular. I tried to get the first passing shot at his feet.

Next Week: Santoro talks about the other 10 World No. 1s he played.
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/DEU...e-Santoro.aspx
Old 11-21-2009, 02:24 PM   #128
country flag Truc

And as expected, Fabrice was guest of "Les grosses têtes" this week:
http://www.rtl.fr/fiche/5930589195/l...-19-11-09.html

Un volontaire pour un résumé? J'ai écouté les 30 premières secondes et j'ai arrêté, je peux pas.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:01 PM   #129
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I bought his book in France and read it on the train, there's absolutely nothing new if you've already seen or read some of the interviews he gave during the promotion of his book.
Isn't there supposed to be a chapter about his younger "brother"?

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:13 PM   #130
country flag Truc

It's just 2 pages, if I remember well, I wouldn't call it a chapter, more a sub-chapter.
I don't have the book here anymore to look it up, but I can't remember anything new in the part about Richard either.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:19 PM   #131
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't have the book here anymore to look it up, but I can't remember anything new in the part about Richard either.
Maybe it is better like that. Peyre-style indescretions wpuld not go well with the person concerned.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

Old 01-01-2010, 04:11 PM   #132
country flag Truc

There have been again a few articles lately hinting at the fact that he might very well play in Melbourne. L'Equipe wrote the other day that he's been training in Roland, and France Soir interviewed his parents who say he's been practicing indeed, but the mother swears they have no clue if he will play or not:
http://www.francesoir.fr/tennis/2009...e-santoro.html

I guess he does plan on playing there, but wants to see first if he can get back in decent shape before he gives a statement.
When he played in the French Interclubs, he complained again that he was competitive during one set only, so I wonder how he wants to play best of 5 matches in the Australian heat at ATP level, which is slightly above the Interclubs level...
Old 01-01-2010, 04:14 PM   #133
country flag Truc

Has anybody else read his book? What did you think of it then?

I was talking about it with other Muzza fans because I remember he mentions Andy in positive terms when he talks about his lonely life on the tour and the players he likes, but who are the other players he mentions in that chapter? I've already forgotten everything. ^^
Old 01-05-2010, 08:26 AM   #134
country flag Truc

According to RMC he plans on flying to Australia at the end of the week:
http://www.rmc.fr/edito/sport/98943/...en-daustralie/

Hagelauer (the new manager of the French Tennis Association) also confirms that he's been training in Roland (with Eysseric in particular) and that he just smiles and says "maybe" when people ask him if he's going to play:
http://www.rmc.fr/edito/sport/98971/...toro-va-jouer/

Last edited by Truc : 01-05-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:05 PM   #135
country flag Puschkin

Quote:
Hagelauer (the new manager of the French Tennis Association) also confirms that he's been training in Roland (with Eysseric in particular) and that he just smiles and says "maybe" when people ask him if he's going to play.
He is crazy. If he's unlucky with the draw he will suffer a severe beat-down, not the right way to end his career.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~