News, articles about the twins... - Page 9 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-01-2008, 01:26 PM   #121
country flag Tytta!.
(:

Tytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News, articles about the twins...

Tytta!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2008, 11:10 PM   #122
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

10 Questions with Bob and Mike from the TTC open site:

1. What was the last great film you watched?

Bob: Not a great film, but one of our favorites is "Dumb and Dumber". Very funny and lots of laughs.

Mike: A film I saw recently that I liked was "Into the Wild". We watch lots of movies, in theatres and on DVDs when we fly. My Mom's favorite all time movie is "Out of Africa" and our Dad's favorites are "Bonnie & Clyde" and "Lost in America".

2. Which one book would you recommend to read?

Mike: Right now I'm reading Herman Wouk's "Winds of War". Great book.

Bob: I love that book and am now reading the next one - - - "War and Remembrance." I'm learning more about WW II than I ever learned in school.

Bob: And our Dad's book "Raising Your Child to be a Champion, in Athletics, Arts, and Acamedics" is very popular with parents and definitely worth reading.

3. Which three words best describe the real you?

Bob: Love family, love friends, love tennis, love music, and fun times.

Mike: That's eleven words, Bob - - - but I agree with them all too.

4. What's the most frequently played song on your Ipod?

Bob: Not one song, but really all of Dave Matthews songs.

Mike: Same for me and we also like U2 and Maroon 5 and many of the modern bands. We also like some country and old rock 'n roll and rhythm 'n blues.

5. Who do you most admire in the world and why?

Bob: Andre Agassi, Billie Jean King, Jack Kramer, Stan Smith, Etienne de Villiers, Tom Gullikson, Donald Dell, Dick Gould, John Whitlinger, Vic Braden, Patrick McEnroe and my parents - - - in tennis. Tony Blair in the political world and, of course, Nelson Mandela.

Mike: I agree with all the above and would throw in Nick Saviano, Jay Berger, Rodney Harmon, Greg Patton, and Lonnie Nielson. We also admire Ricky Leach, the Woodies, and the Jensens. And Mark Knowles. And, of course, our coach David MacPherson.

Bob: This may sound funny, but we admire our Davis Cup teammates and close friends Andy Roddick and James Blake. And our agent John Tobias. Dave Matthews, Elton John, Carlos Santana, Brian Wilson, and Paul McCarthey - - - in music.

6. What's the most important thing you travel with apart from your tennis gear?

Mike: My guitar.

Bob: My keyboard. Piano keyboard that is. We love recording music at home and on the road, and we also love playing gigs with our Bryan Bros. Band.

7. Do you cook and if so, what is your specialty?

Bob: No.

Mike: No, but my girlfriend is a great cook. Our Mom makes a great breakfast and a great spaghetti. Our Dad burns a steak about as well as anyone and makes a pretty good cheeseburger.

8. What is your most prized possession other than your family?

Bob: Family, friends, health and happiness. Other little things are: My keyboards. My Prince rackets. My Oakleys. My computer.

Mike: I agree exactly with Bob's first four above. My extras are: Our music room with all our instruments. All my drums and all my guitars. Our three homes. Yeah, and our Oakleys and Prince rackets too.

9. In the film detailing your life who would you want to play 'you' and why?

Bob: Mike. Same DNA.

Mike: Bob. He's obviously a dead ringer for me.

10. One hundred years from now how would you like to be remembered?

Mike: I'd like to be remembered as a good son, good brother, good family member, a good friend. A guy who loved tennis and music. Someone who perhaps helped save and popularize doubles.

Bob: Me too. And someone who cared about and tried to help others.

Mike: Add that last bit on mine too.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:19 PM   #123
country flag Tytta!.
(:

Tytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond repute

Cute
Old 03-02-2008, 11:20 PM   #124
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

thanks captain

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 03-02-2008, 11:26 PM   #125
country flag Tytta!.
(:

pfffffffffffff

anytime
Old 03-02-2008, 11:48 PM   #126
country flag snaillyyy
rainha (:

snaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond reputesnaillyyy has a reputation beyond repute

So adorable

snaillyyy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:33 AM   #127
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Björki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond repute

ATPtennis.com

Quote:
ATP announces 2007 ATP Award winners
Roger Federer and Bob and Mike Bryan are the big winners in the 2007 ATP Awards, which were announced today in Miami on the eve of the Sony Ericsson Open.

For the fourth consecutive year, Federer won both the Player of the Year Award and Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award Presented by Stanford. Additionally, fans gave Federer the ATPtennis.com Fans’ Favorite Award Presented by RICOH for the fifth consecutive year.

The Bryan brothers, who last year finished as the No. 1 doubles team for the fourth time in five years, won the Doubles Team of the Year Award Presented by Stanford for the third consecutive year. The Bryans also were voted ATPtennis.com Fans’ Favorite for the third consecutive year.

Other winners include defending Sony Ericsson Open champion Novak Djokovic of Serbia, the first player to clinch Most Improved Player of the Year honors in back-to-back years; Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, named Newcomer of the Year for his Ranking climb from No. 212 to a year-end finish of No. 43 with consistent results in ATP and Challenger level play; and Russian Igor Andreev, Comeback Player of the Year after returning from a left knee injury in 2006 to finish in the Top 50 for the third time in four years.

Ivan Ljubicic was named Arthur Ashe Humanitarian of the Year in recognition of his support of individual, smaller charities in his native Croatia and his sponsorship of the Monaco Special Olympics, donating his entire Davis Cup prize money to those charities as well as playing exhibitions to raise money.

2007 ATP Awards Winners

Player of the Year - Roger Federer

Doubles Team of the Year Presented by Stanford - Mike and Bob Bryan

Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Presented by Stanford - Roger Federer

Arthur Ashe Humanitarian of the Year - Ivan Ljubicic

ATPtennis.com Fans’ Favorite (Singles) Presented by RICOH - Roger Federer

ATPtennis.com Fans’ Favorite (Doubles) - Mike and Bob Bryan

Bryans || Djokovic || Paire || Chiudinelli || Nalbandian || Hanley || Rojer || Nadal
Söderling || Verdasco || Wawrinka || Simon || O. Rochus || Leo Mayer

Björkman || Arthurs || Edberg || Rafter || T.Johansson || M.Norman || Aspelin
Björki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:42 AM   #128
country flag ataptc

ataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond reputeataptc has a reputation beyond repute

Most deserving
ataptc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:04 PM   #129
country flag Tytta!.
(:

Old 08-12-2008, 11:37 PM   #130
country flag Kate87

Kate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond repute

Two For One
By Richard Pagliaro
Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Magnetized mementos, menus and meal plans may cram the face of your refrigerator door. But if you grew up in Bob and Mike Bryan’s boyhood home in the heart of the strawberry capital of the country — Camarillo, California — you would have reached for your morning milk only to find the refrigerator feeding you a life plan of ever-expanding goals that grew to rival the family grocery list taped to the refrigerator door.

"From the time they started playing tennis as 6-year-olds Mike and Bob always wrote down their goals and taped them on the refrigerator along with their schedule for the year so every day they saw them," says father Wayne Bryan, a World TeamTennis coach of the year, who along with his wife Kathy, a former Wimbledon mixed doubles quarterfinalist, served as the twins first coach. "Putting their goals and schedule on the refrigerator gave them perspective: a looking backward at the results they already had and a looking forward to what was ahead. They always had maximum motivation and always had goals posted on that refrigerator as a reminder: first to be No. 1 in the 10s, then to be the top team in the country, earn scholarships to Stanford. And the ultimate goal was always to win all four Grand Slams as a doubles team, be the No. 1 team in the world and help the USA win the Davis Cup."

They completed that career quest last December.

The Davis Cup was all but wrapped up in a red, white and blue bow after Andy Roddick and James Blake swept singles matches to move the Americans to within one win of winning the Cup that was born in the USA. America’s top singles stars turned the task of completing the Davis Cup quest to tennis’ top-ranked team.
Hurling their bodies around the court with the abandon of stunt men, the twins, whipped the 12,000 fans packed inside Portland's Memorial Coliseum into a chest-bumping, fist-pumping frenzy as they transformed a tennis match into an extended family reunion on court by bringing Dwight Davis' Cup back home.

It was both the culmination of a quest and the completion of a career’s worth of goals. The 30-year-old twins, whose 2006 Wimbledon triumph made them only the third team in the Open Era to complete a career Grand Slam, cite the Davis Cup championship as their most rewarding victory.

"You all know what's riding on the match. You got guys you want to win for," says left-handed Bob Bryan, the taller twin by one inch at 6-foot-4. "Winning the Davis Cup is the pinnacle of our career. The Davis Cup is so meaningful because we did it as a team and to have that celebration with the guys in Portland is something we’ll never forget. That’s the one that has the most pop: people see us it he airport and congratulate us and thank us for helping bring the Cup back home to America. That’s the win people really appreciate the most."

They flipped the switch from the days of chip-and-charge to doubles their brash crush-and-rush style in amping up the volume on the game. The brothers who play charity gigs together fronting The Bryan Brothers Band play tennis in the key of E in exuding exceptional effort and enthusiasm in each match.

The ITF has named them the Doubles World Champions for a record setting five years in a row, they have contested nine of the last 12 Grand Slam finals and they have ended four of the past five season as the world’s No. 1 team.So just how good are the Bryan brothers?

"They're the best team in this era," Hall of Famer Jim Courier says. "They're 30 years old and still at the top year after year. The interesting thing about doubles right now is most of the teams in the top 10 are over 30. We're seeing fewer greater teams at a younger age and that will help the Bryans as well because there's no team like them. Coming out of the juniors those guys were groomed for doubles success, they focused on it, worked toward it, they're very intense and their skill sets complement each other perfectly for doubles. Short of injury, I don't see anyone out there who can keep them from dominating for the next few years.

They have no plans on slowing down anytime soon.

"We feel we’re at our peak now and I don’t see us going anywhere anytime soon," says Mike Bryan, the older brother by two minutes. "We love what we do, we like our careers and we see you can play doubles until your mid 30s. We are some of the youngest guys still in the top 10 and we saw how long Todd Woodbridge played. If we stay healthy, we like to think we’ve got another five years left so there’s still a lot we want to accomplish and we’ll see how our bodies hold up."

The twins own 47 tournament titles which places them fourth on the list of doubles teams in the Open Era behind three of the greatest doubles teams of all time: John McEnroe and Peter Fleming and Bob Hewitt and Frew McMillan (57 titles) are tied for second behind the Open Era doubles leaders, Australia’s Todd Woodbridge and Mark Woodforde, who stand atop the all-time list with 61 career titles.

Can the Bryans, the first doubles team in Open Era history to reach seven straight major finals, eclipse the Woodies?

"As far as breaking the Woodies record there’s no question they can," say Darren Cahill, who coached both Lleyton Hewitt and Andre Agassi to the World No. 1 ranking. "They are two of the hardest working young men I've ever seen in singles or doubles. There’s no question they deserve to be at the top of the doubles rankings and they’ve got a lot of great tennis ahead."

John McEnroe, one of the men the Bryans are chasing on their persistent path toward tennis history, believes if the brothers stay healthy they will wind up winning the most titles of any doubles team in Open Era history.

"They could certainly go on and on because most of the top singles players don't play doubles anymore," McEnroe says. "And you've got a situation where the Bryan brothers are so committed to doubles, have been so successful and they seem to continue to improve. They play with a lot of energy, they keep positive and they never seem to argue with each other, which is amazing to me."

American tennis has suffered a bit of an identity crisis since the twins’ tennis idol, Andre Agassi, called it quits.

"It doesn’t take a genius to point the out problems," Agassi used to say when confronted with the annual "what’s wrong with American tennis?" question. "But creating solutions is much more difficult."

In many ways, the Bryan Brothers can serve as the solution: they are the poster boys for American player development program. Like the Williams sisters they have been bolstered by strong family support and bring an appetite for winning, an aptitude for improving and attitude of never backing down — the twins led the lawsuit that led to the ATP doubles reforms and once nearly came to blows with an opposing team in the locker room at the U.S. Open.

Both the brothers and sisters have been occasionally criticized for over-the-top style that skeptics say is over reliant on power and lacks finesse but in an era when title dialogues are being dominated by Spaniards, Swiss and Serbians, the Bryan Brothers and Williams sisters bring a toughness and togetherness and attitude that is exactly what aspiring American juniors should adopt.

Ultimately, the twins’ importance to tennis transcends their win-loss record. In the mind if the man many regard as the greatest doubles player ever, the twins born two minutes apart could create a rebirth for doubles.

"Doubles, in a way, is on life support," McEnroe says. "Doubles is like Davis Cup in that way that it doesn’t get the importance it deserves and it’s sad it’s become that way because most people who play tennis recreationally play doubles. But the fact that the Bryan brothers have been so successful and so dedicated to doubles and Davis Cup can draw attention to both, which is obviously important. They seem to be single handedly saving doubles."

http://www.tennisweek.com/features/f...newsid=6615492

besides them rooting for: Bob Bryan; Mike Bryan; MarTy Fish
Kate87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:19 PM   #131
country flag zookeeper

zookeeper has a reputation beyond reputezookeeper has a reputation beyond reputezookeeper has a reputation beyond reputezookeeper has a reputation beyond reputezookeeper has a reputation beyond reputezookeeper has a reputation beyond reputezookeeper has a reputation beyond reputezookeeper has a reputation beyond reputezookeeper has a reputation beyond reputezookeeper has a reputation beyond reputezookeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting the article Kate.
zookeeper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:39 PM   #132
country flag Deboogle!.

http://www.atptennis.com/1/en/2008news/bryans_crows.asp

Bryans Have Plenty To Crow About

Stanford ATP Doubles Race leaders Bob and Mike Bryan have played to some big crowds during their careers. But nothing quite prepared them for the buzz of rocking with Counting Crows in front of 25,000 fans at Tampa, Florida last Friday.

The 30-year-old California twins joined the band on stage for the song 'Hanging Around.' Bob played keyboards, including a solo midway through the song. Mike played a rhythm acoustics guitar, including a brief solo. "It's been a childhood dream of ours to be rock stars and I've had dreams of playing in front of that many people," Bob said. "So it was great to finally become a rock star - even if it was just for six minutes."

The Bryans are friends with band member Jim Bogios, hooking up the drummer with Centre Court tickets to the Nadal-Federer final at Wimbledon this year and tickets during the US Open. "Jim mentioned to us that he'd like to get us on stage with the band. We didn't think he was serious but everyone in the band was on the same page," Mike said.

But a two-hour flight delay from the West Coast Friday almost cost the Bryans their dream. After landing late in Tampa they rushed to the Ford Amphitheater. "When we landed we were worried about the time but we got a text from Jim saying 'You can't get out of this now. You're going to be sitting in with us for Hanging Around.' That's when we started getting really nervous," Mike said. "Bob has had extra time to practice (keyboards) in recent weeks because of his shoulder injury, and in the car to the concert he brushed up on a mini keyboard on his iPhone. He really got it tight and played brilliantly."

Midway through 'Hanging Around' lead singer Adam Duritz introduced Bob and Mike to the crowd, who roared their approval.

The Bryans are practicing at Saddlebrook this week and with Bob's left shoulder steadily improving , they expect to play the ATP Masters Series event in Madrid, which begins Sunday. Bob has been sidelined since winning a second US Open title with Mike in early September. Mike's only appearance since then was a five-set Davis Cup win with Mardy Fish against Spain in Madrid almost three weeks ago.

*Listen to the brothers playing in Hanging Around. Bob's keyboards solo starts at 2:26 into the clip, with Mike's guitar solo starting around 3:30. (Note: Counting Crows have granted permission for the track to appear on ATPtennis.com.) Download Audio (7Mb) by right clicking and selecting 'Save Target As.'

Old 11-09-2008, 01:09 PM   #133
country flag Eden
Proud to be your fan

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

Bryan Brothers Remain Doubles' Dynamic Duo

© Getty Images
Bob and Mike Bryan won their sixth Grand Slam at the US Open in September.

By S. ALISON KIM
Published: November 7, 2008

Americans Bob and Mike Bryan could go down in history as the greatest team to play the game, but they're building more than a personal legacy. Their success, energy, and popularity on and off the court has injected ATP Doubles with renewed life.

Just weeks after winning the US Open, Bob and Mike Bryan found themselves in front of 25,000 screaming fans. But on this occasion, the twins had left their racquets at home and donned different instruments to entertain the crowd.

With Bob on keyboard and Mike on a rhythm acoustics guitar, the 30-year-old Californians rocked alongside the Counting Crows in Tampa, Florida, joining the band on stage for the song 'Hanging Around'. Midway through the song, which featured small solos for both brothers, lead singer Adam Duritz introduced Bob and Mike to the crowd, who roared their approval.

"It's been a childhood dream of ours to be rock stars and I've had dreams of playing in front of that many people," said Bob, who occasionally performs as part of the Bryan Bros. Band with Mike. "So it was great to finally become a rock star – even if it was just for six minutes."

While their musical career may be on hold for the time being, their rock star status extends beyond the concert stage to their day jobs as the world's best doubles team. And when the Bryans return to Shanghai as the top-seeded tandem at the Tennis Masters Cup, the fan favorites can expect another rousing reception.

In the past few years, the Bryans' star power – both on and off the court – has grown in tandem with the increasing popularity of ATP Doubles. The photogenic Americans have rung the opening bell at the New York Stock Exchange, rubbed shoulders with the likes of Oasis and Red Hot Chili Peppers at the Brit Awards, and been featured in People Magazine's "Sexiest Man Alive" issue in the "Doubly Delicious" section. Their inaugural charity gala for the Bryan Brothers Foundation in September counted Andre Agassi, comedian Jon Lovitz and musician Gavin Rossdale among the entertainers.

While this celebrity can be seen as the perk of their standing as the top doubles team for much of the past six years, it is also viewed as a responsibility by the Bryans, who understand that their reputation and performance helps fuel the status of the tandem game. Mike said, "One of our big goals is to see doubles thrive. By doing well and winning a couple Grand Slams, being No. 1, it does help doubles. Fans like to see the twin dynamic out there. It makes doubles more popular."

The twins have all the makings of a dream doubles team. Left-hander Bob employs a huge first serve and a world-class forehand while right-sided Mike, older than his brother by two minutes, boasts explosive returns. They've developed an instinctual ability to read each other that they claim is incomparable on tour, and have had years of practice to sharpen their doubles skills.

"Doubles is a game where there are so many facets, so many shots you have to learn, so much strategy that it takes a long time to develop into a great doubles player," said Mike. "We've been working on doubles – not just singles – since such a young age and have developed a lot of skills that you need to be great doubles players. Overall our games really complement each other."

And whereas other players easily move on to new partners when the going gets tough, the Bryans are committed to their on-court partnership for life.

"Even if one guy is unhappy about the way a match goes, there's no question of effort," said David Macpherson, their coach of three years. "That's why they always pull together on court and they're getting better and better as they get older. They rarely look back and say they didn't focus or play well together. That's what makes them so tough – they really make opponents beat them."

Last year, the Bryans became the first team in the Open Era to finish as the No. 1 team four out of five years. Their achievements during that span include reaching seven consecutive Grand Slam finals between the 2005 Australian Open and 2006 Wimbledon, completing the career Grand Slam in 2006, and collecting a career-best 11 titles and the Davis Cup in 2007.

By their high standards, the Bryans got off to a slower start this past season. They went title-less through the first three months despite reaching four finals, marking their longest title drought to start a season since 2003. Macpherson says, "It was a frustrating time for them. Part of the psyche of being No. 1 is when you get to the final, you need to finish the job."

They finally broke through to win their first title at the ATP Masters Series tournament in Miami, then followed with wins at Barcelona, the Masters Series events at Rome and Cincinnati, the bronze medal at the Beijing Olympics – which proudly hangs from the chandelier in their dining room – and their sixth Grand Slam title at the US Open.

The Bryan twins have appeared in 13 career Grand Slam finals

Heading into the Tennis Masters Cup, the Bryans have their sights set on another milestone: their teams 50th title, which would place them seven back of Peter McEnroe/John McEnroe and Bob Hewitt/Frew McMillan, and 11 shy of the all-time record held by Australians Todd Woodbridge and Mark Woodforde. Mike said, "It's in the back of our minds that it's in reach. If we stay healthy, it's conceivable that we can catch these guys. But just to be mentioned in the same breath as the Woodies is flattering and humbling."

Macpherson, who played against both the Woodies and the Bryans during his doubles career, compared the two teams: "The similarities they have is that for a doubles team, they're very good from the baseline. Lots of tough doubles teams can be great returners and volleyers, but they don't have the consistency and power on second, third or fourth shots. The Woodies were great on forehand, and the Bryans are the same. The Bryans are all court players."

Considering that many of the best doubles players play well into their 30s, the Americans have a good shot of breaking the Woodies' record. Should they continue to win five titles a year as they have since the 2003 season, they would overtake the record by their 33rd birthdays.

But health will first need to be on their side, a factor that could be helped by the once-controversial Match Tie-break that has been embraced by players and fans alike since its introduction in 2006. Bob said, "It's saving our bodies so we'll have longer careers. It's exciting for the fans. It's caught on, and all the players are positive."

This season, the Bryans had been limited to just two tournaments following their US Open triumph (1-2 record) due to Bob's left shoulder inflammation. As a result, Mike flew solo for the first time in Davis Cup action, playing with someone other than his brother in the semifinals against Spain. It was just the fifth time in ATP-level action and the first time since 2002 that Mike had partnered a different player. (Bob hasn't played with anyone else at the ATP level.) The eight days also marked the longest time the Bryans had been apart in six years. "It felt like a piece of me was missing," joked Mike.

Prior to the match, Mike made sure to develop a different celebratory move with temporary partner Mardy Fish in order to reserve the Bryans' signature chest bump for his brother. Though Mike and Mardy ended up winning the match, they managed to try out the '180 back bump' just once in front of the Spanish crowd. "The fans hated it," Mike said with a laugh.

Chinese fans can rest assured that the trademark chest bump will be back in Shanghai, where the Bryans are looking to clinch their third Tennis Masters Cup title and become the first team to finish No. 1 for four straight years (Woodbridge and Woodforde finished No. 1 from 1995-97). In doing so, they could further augment their status as arguably the best doubles team to play the game.

"They're still going so they can rack up a few more titles to really make a genuine argument that they're the best of all time," said former college teammate and ATP pro Paul Goldstein. "It's great to have that conversation, it's fun, but I'll tell you, I'm much more proud just to be friends with them… Success hasn't changed them one bit. The same energy that they bring to the tennis courts is the same energy that they bring to their lives everyday."

It may be fitting that one of the greatest teams the sport has seen is playing at a time when doubles is on the rise. According to the twins, the game is healthier than ever with the top doubles players battling teams comprised of the best singles players, matches showcased on stadium court, and doubles packaged in a way that can sell tickets.

And in a large part, the Bryans can thank themselves for the role they've had in injecting the doubles game with heightened energy and interest.

"The in-your-face style of tennis that Bob and Mike bring to the court is so aggressive and fun to watch," said Delray Beach ITC tournament director Mark Baron. "Sometimes it's easy to overlook their greatness, and that they are on track to become the top doubles players in the history of our sport."

Mike said: "It was never our goal to be considered one of the greatest teams to ever play. You always dream of playing on the pro tour, hopefully winning Grand Slams, of being No. 1; it's achievable, but you never think you're actually going to do it… It would obviously be a thrill, but there's still a lot of tennis to be played."

Source: http://www.atptennis.com/5/en/deuce/...008/bryans.asp
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 01:48 PM   #134
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Björki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Doris

Bryans || Djokovic || Paire || Chiudinelli || Nalbandian || Hanley || Rojer || Nadal
Söderling || Verdasco || Wawrinka || Simon || O. Rochus || Leo Mayer

Björkman || Arthurs || Edberg || Rafter || T.Johansson || M.Norman || Aspelin
Björki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:23 PM   #135
country flag Deboogle!.

thanks great article