Weeks at #1 - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-01-2003, 06:28 PM   #16
country flag J. Corwin
psychotic banana

J. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weeks at #1

*pretends to not see convo about calling my name*

Lets go Andy lets go!

"For seven and a half years I've worked alongside President Reagan. We've had triumphs. Made some mistakes. We've had some sex...uh...setbacks."
George H.W. Bush, 1988

"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family."
George W. Bush, 2000

15.5 - 40.5 ... 2,1,1 demolition job
(fan club spots are still open! )
J. Corwin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2003, 02:53 AM   #17
country flag MisterQ

MisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond repute

5 weeks at the top! woohoo!

only 281 to go to match Pete!
MisterQ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 04:34 AM   #18
heya
Banned!

heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute

Surpassing Safin ...just a coincidence that Andy lives in the USA.
That way, I can follow him around the country. We are the champions```my friend
heya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 06:30 AM   #19
country flag J. Corwin
psychotic banana

J. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond repute

Not surpassing Safin yet. But he will.

"For seven and a half years I've worked alongside President Reagan. We've had triumphs. Made some mistakes. We've had some sex...uh...setbacks."
George H.W. Bush, 1988

George W. Bush, 2000

Old 12-05-2003, 05:42 AM   #20
country flag MisterQ

MisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond repute

5.5714286 weeks!
MisterQ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 05:44 AM   #21
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

LOL MisterQ.... a little bored?

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 06:40 AM   #22
country flag J. Corwin
psychotic banana

ohhh...and I thought we were still on week #5.

George H.W. Bush, 1988

George W. Bush, 2000

Old 12-05-2003, 09:21 AM   #23
heya
Banned!

heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't matter! We want 80+ weeks.
Andy
can have his revenge against Mr. Kim Clijsters.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:45 AM   #24
country flag J. Corwin
psychotic banana

He's still quite a ways from that. But it's only a matter of time.

George H.W. Bush, 1988

George W. Bush, 2000

Old 12-05-2003, 10:09 AM   #25
heya
Banned!

Here's a knowledgeable poster from Tennis Warehouse!!!:

I agree with Matt (not me, the other Matt :-) ) in saying that people love cheering for the underdog. For the past two years, Roddick was the "hometown hero" when it came to the Open. Nobody would bet money on him taking the title, but it was always fun cheering for the kid when he was facing a top player- say, Hewitt, Sampras, etc. That's just the nature of the sport- we want competition. Nobody really focused in too much on the negative aspects of Roddick's game- instead, people talked about how much heart the kid has, etc. However, people also liked to speak of "the road" that Roddick had to travel, before they would see him as a top notch player.

Well, that time has come and gone. You can't argue that Roddick "got lucky" at the Open - his draw was certainly NOT favorable. In fact, I remember reading that (at the time of the Open) people were predicting that Andy would fall in the first or second round. The summer hard court season, however, gave Roddick so much confidence, that he rolled through the Open and took the title. For most people on this board, that was the last straw! "Roddick has no talent" or "Roddick's strokes are so ugly- how did he win?" were just some of the comments that flooded these boards. (I should say, however, that most people neverthelesss congratulated Roddick on his accomplishment, which I thought was quite respectful) Mostly, people were pissed off that Roddick had beaten players that, while maybe have more natural talent, lacked in the intangables department. That, I think, is the reason between the "popular" opinion now and before- now that Roddick has beaten Federer, Ferrero, Agassi, etc. (all people he was winless against before), people are afraid that his style of play will take over tennis. Personally, I think this is total B.S., but that's not the point of this post.

Secondly, I think people look for any and every opportunity to bash Roddick on a personal level. Roddick is a young buck, and like most young bucks, he likes this newfound media and attention. This is quite similar to the public's reaction to Agassi's old tantrums- the question that boggled me at first was "why is the Roddick bashing worse than the old Agassi bashing?" I mean, Roddick is TRANQUILIZED compared to '92 Agassi. However, if you follow my last paragraph, this all makes sense...people look for ANY and EVERY reason to hate Roddick, because he beats their favorite players.

Finally, I DON'T think that the Anti-Roddick sentiments are AT ALL representative of the tennis community as a whole. When I was watching the US Open final in which Andy ABSOLUTELY DESTROYED Ferrero, I was at my tennis club, and EVERYONE around me was simply stunned at Roddick's display of heart, power, and accuracy. Whenever he'd serve, people would rub their eyes, or just smile- Roddick's talent is undeniable, despite what people on this board may say. Everyone seems to praise Federer on his "accurate" serve....personally, I find that when Roddick hits a +140 mph serve that literally LANDS ON THE "T" (which is quite often), that's much more impressive than Federer's serve.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:23 AM   #26
country flag J. Corwin
psychotic banana

very nice post!

George H.W. Bush, 1988

George W. Bush, 2000

Old 12-05-2003, 01:16 PM   #27
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

That was a good post. I only wish it had been longer.

Tennis crowds are quite a bit different from tennis boards. I notice that there is more talk among the people in the crowd about the game than the personalities, although that does happen too. And you get people who are active in the game at a grass roots level. One guy that I was sitting near last year ran an amature tournament for charity and a tennis camp -- this in addition to his regular work. He was very knowlegeable about tennis and simply liked to see good tennis. He wasn't too crazy about the USTA though. He said he had been looking for something from the USTA for his camp -- not funding or anything because he was getting that on his own. He just wanted some t shirts or some balls -- something promotional. The USTA turned him down flat. He said he could not explain to them that he was trying to do something that would benefit them not asking for something for himself. Now that he knows how much these guys are paying themselves, I'll bet he is really steamed. Anyway.... rambling.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 02:47 PM   #28
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

that was an excellent post from that person and I think it sums up what a lot of us feel here lol

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 04:28 PM   #29
country flag Havok
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Havok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond repute

that post

Havok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 07:43 PM   #30
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Secondly, I think people look for any and every opportunity to bash Roddick on a personal level. Roddick is a young buck, and like most young bucks, he likes this newfound media and attention. This is quite similar to the public's reaction to Agassi's old tantrums- the question that boggled me at first was "why is the Roddick bashing worse than the old Agassi bashing?" I mean, Roddick is TRANQUILIZED compared to '92 Agassi. However, if you follow my last paragraph, this all makes sense...people look for ANY and EVERY reason to hate Roddick, because he beats their favorite players.
Exactly!

Good post.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote