Weeks at #1 - Page 13 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-22-2003, 02:14 AM   #181
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weeks at #1

Well I dunno, every court is different.. but grass is still among the fastest!

Q, i'm gonna go watch the Queen's match now and keep track of the backhands and other such notables. Will report back later

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2003, 02:14 AM   #182
heya

heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute

Serves are thunderous, but he's not
really careful sometimes.
His serve wasn't effective on surfaces that allow the ball to get blocked back. Maybe on decoturf, grass, carpet and clay?
heya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 03:00 AM   #183
heya

heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tenn...03/3013072.stm
Boris' voice gives his emotions away. LMAO
Monday, 23 June, 2003
Becker urges Roddick to deliver

By Luke Surry

Boris Becker says Andy Roddick could be the "next great American champion".

Becker played in seven Wimbledon finals, winning three times
But the three-time Wimbledon winner believes the big-serving 20-year-old still has a lot to prove.

Becker said he has no doubts about Roddick's talent, but warned the time has come for the Queen's champion to realise his potential.

"Roddick hasn't performed that well in Grand Slams yet," he said.

"The fact that he can beat anybody on any surface doesn't mean he's good enough to win a Grand Slam.

"You have to do it day in and day out - on a cloudy day, a windy day, a cold day and a hot day.

"Over two weeks in a Grand Slam you have to face all those obstacles, and that's the hard part."

Roddick has teamed up with Andre Agassi's former coach, Brad Gilbert and Becker believes the partnership will take Roddick to a higher level.

"The fact that he now has Brad Gilbert - one of the best and most experienced coaches - in his corner gives him an edge.

Roddick and Federer have the potential, the talent the game - everything they need to win a Slam - but they have to prove it

Boris Becker

"His victory over Agassi at Queen's shows me that Andy Roddick, in my opinion, is the next great American champion.

"He had a great performance at Queen's and he has the game to win Wimbledon.

"But does he have the mind? Does he have the body? We'll know in two weeks."

Becker contends that players like Roddick and Roger Federer, seeded fourth at Wimbledon, don't yet deserve to be regarded among the world's top players.

"In my opinion, and I sometimes have extreme opinions, you shouldn't even be ranked in the top five without winning a Grand Slam.

"Those young players out there have to get used to the fact that they're only judged by how many Grand Slams they've won.

"Roddick and Federer have the potential, the talent the game - everything they need to win a Slam - but they have to prove it."
Old 12-22-2003, 03:05 AM   #184
country flag J. Corwin
psychotic banana

J. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond repute

nice article Heya.

And Deb, I'll be waiting for your Queens Club report as well.

Ahh...I need to order more tennis tapes again!

"For seven and a half years I've worked alongside President Reagan. We've had triumphs. Made some mistakes. We've had some sex...uh...setbacks."
George H.W. Bush, 1988

"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family."
George W. Bush, 2000

15.5 - 40.5 ... 2,1,1 demolition job
(fan club spots are still open! )
J. Corwin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 03:17 AM   #185
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

alright I watched sets 1 and 2 and got bored/tired...I only watched it a few days ago even though I was paying attention to different stuff lol

the biggest thing really was the serving. Through 3-3 in the second set, Andy was serving 78% and by the end of the set he had over 20 aces.

In the first set, Andre was sort of out of it and letting Andy run all over him. And Andy was really on, running down a couple dropshots, totally dictating play from the baseline, just blowing him away (he won the first set 6-1 in 20 mins!)

Andre totally turned it on second set and pulled out the TB.

To answer the backhand question, Andy most definitely kept it to the two-hander. He only used the slice once that I counted and dumped it into the net. And he didn't volley as much as I thought he did - only came to the net once or twice in the first two sets (then again, he really didn't have to)

Basically Andy just played a really great match. And I dunno but Becker sounded pretty impressed throughout to me. He said "I've never seen such a serving performance" several times and that sounds like a pretty high complement to me

Now I'm watching the beginning of the 2001 USO QF with Hewitt..... this one's gonna kill me, I know it lol

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 12-22-2003, 03:29 AM   #186
country flag J. Corwin
psychotic banana

J. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the report. I love it when Andy does great with his two-hander. I enjoy seeing him hit those powerful down-the-line shots...and make them of course lol.

How do you have all these matches on tape? You have the 2001 USO QF now? lol

"For seven and a half years I've worked alongside President Reagan. We've had triumphs. Made some mistakes. We've had some sex...uh...setbacks."
George H.W. Bush, 1988

George W. Bush, 2000

Old 12-22-2003, 03:37 AM   #187
country flag Deboogle!.

Well I bought the Agassi one a couple months ago off ebay and a sweet girl from Mardy's site sent me their Cincy final (though the quality is pretty bad you can still watch it). Then I debated for a long time b/c I wasn't sure whether I could play DVD-Rs (I can't at school, the DVD player I have there sucks monkey ass) but the one I have here at home does so I ordered a few matches on DVD - 4 great Andy matches and the USO final from last year so I can savor Pete's last moment of greatness forever

I had enough tennis for one night so I skipped to the fifth set of the 2001 USO QF lol!! It's kinda sweet to see how much Tarik agonized in the stands, that must've been so hard for Andy to let him go.

Oh and Naldo if it makes you feel any better I really like the outfit Andy wore in this match lmao (both the white and black shirts in fact, though with both he and Lleyton wearing black outfits and backwards white caps it's hard to tell them apart lmao)

Old 12-22-2003, 03:54 AM   #188
country flag J. Corwin
psychotic banana

lol I see. Cool deal.
*jealous*

George H.W. Bush, 1988

George W. Bush, 2000

Old 12-22-2003, 04:07 AM   #189
country flag Deboogle!.

awww.... well I spent a lot of money on it that I probably shouldn't have but I needed to see the El-Aynaoui match and figured I might as well just get a few more while I was at it lol. Ask tangie, I agonized over it with her, what matches to get, etc LOL

oh..... it's after midnight here! Andy's officially taken over the east coast for 8 weeks!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-22-2003, 04:25 AM   #190
heya

They had their caps backwards, but we know who's the hot stud. WOOOOO Revenge is sweet for Andy!
He's not the awkward kid at 19 anymore.
Don't eat sour grapes, Lleyton!!
Old 12-22-2003, 04:27 AM   #191
country flag Deboogle!.

lol yea... but from far away (aka the "Ant" shot that USA loves sooooo much) it was hard to tell the diff. yep, the next time they play will be great.... even though I like Lleyton Andy better win haha

Old 12-22-2003, 04:32 AM   #192
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

8 WEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 04:33 AM   #193
country flag Deboogle!.

Default Re: Re: Weeks at #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by star
8 WEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-22-2003, 04:34 AM   #194
heya

He's at a new level now...that 01 US Open collapse
was another example of him getting used to
5 setters. You can't
stop the officials' refusal to change
bad calls by reviewing replays.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:43 AM   #195
country flag Deboogle!.

obviously you can't get the umps to change calls by watching matches... you missed my point entirely. He needs to watch that to see what happens to him when he does that. and I'd imagine that at some point he has. Andy still lets bad calls and getting angry about them get to him and lower his level of play (most recent case in point, the Moya RR match at TMC in the second set.) This particular one in the USO match just happens to be the worst... but he still does it.

I'd love to see the stat on how many times on Andy's serve he's blown up at the ump over a call and how many of those service games he held.

And of course Andy is at a new level, that's why I'm looking forward to he and Lleyton playing again so much!!