The "rant here until Andy's next tournament" thread - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-27-2006, 03:51 PM   #76
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "rant here until Andy's next tournament" thread

oh man, the Vegas Sun is letting andy have it.....and honestly, shame on the Mayor. Why aren't they mad at Andre for taking hundreds of thousands of dollars instead of playing in his beloved hometown? Anyway, the guy's email address is at the end of the article
-----------------------
Ron Kantowski is tired of overpaid athletes like Andy Roddick who talk a big game but then fail to make good on their word

One of the selling points of Las Vegas' version of the Tennis Channel Open is that it is so much more than just an ATP tour stop.

There is no shortage of things you can do on the midway at the spiffy Darling Tennis Center out in Summerlin while the guys with the big serves who wear their ball caps backward are changing sides.

You can have your serve timed, and see how it measures up against the guys with the big serves and backward ball caps. There are parlor games, such as table tennis and air hockey. There is a women's tournament and a junior tournament and a platform tennis tournament and a couple of college matches featuring the UNLV women's team. There's music and art and instructional clinics and exhibits and trivia contests. There's even a contest to see who can string a tennis racquet the fastest.

This is what the tournamment organizers call "Tennispalooza.''

About the only thing you won't be able to do - if you are lucky enough to find a parking spot during the weeklong Tennis Channel Open that runs today through Sunday - is watch Andy Roddick beat some guy wearing a backward ball cap that you've never heard of in straight sets.

That's because Roddick, the world's fourth-ranked player and the TCO's top seed and biggest attraction, announced Friday, fewer than 72 hours before the start of the tournament, that he was withdrawing because of fatigue.

This is what the tournament organizers call "Andy's-a-looza.''

Actually, that's what the tournament organizers would call it if they had a big racquet in their bag. But this tournament is such a good idea that it actually might last a year or two beyond this one. And then they might need Roddick, or at least his name, to sell tickets again next year.

So tournament organizers refused to call him for a blatant double fault: Saying he would play, and then lying about it.

Tournament director Steve Bellamy said something about how the TCO would have loved to have had Roddick but because the field is so deep, it wouldn't miss him all that much. How predictable.

Good thing Las Vegas Mayor Oscar Goodman isn't worried about selling tickets. Or refunding them. Just as predictable, hizzoner wasn't bashful about saying what was on his mind, and he didn't whisper it off the record behind closed doors in the player's lounge.

Grabbing the microphone at the official tournament draw Saturday, Mayor Goodman basically called Roddick a phony who reneged on his word. Then he said the real reason Roddick bailed on the TCO was because Lleyton Hewitt was going to kick his rear end. (He actually said "rear end'' too, although it took all his restraint not to use the real word in front of the genteel country club types.)

Earlier, Bellamy said Roddick "felt bad'' about pulling out, but he (Roddick) didn't think he "had the energy'' to go the distance here.

That has got to be the weakest excuse since the late Redd Foxx told the IRS that the check was in the mail. Too fatigued? Lack of energy? You're 23 years old, Andy. Have a Gatorade for cryin' out loud. Take the supermodels home early and get a good night's sleep.

The tournament committee apparently was so busy trying to get the hospitality tents set up that it didn't have time to update the official Web site over the weekend.

Roddick's picture and statistics were still all over it. If you didn't see The Mayor go ballistic Saturday night on Channel 8, you would swear he was still playing. For instance, by midday Sunday, nobody had made an effort to take down Roddick's giant likeness from the stanchions lining Durango Drive on the way into the tennis center.

Here's what I would do: Take Roddick's billboard down and tack it back up in the Tennispalooza section. Charge fans who paid hundreds of dollars to watch him play here this week another $5 to "Pin the Lame Excuse on Andy Roddick.''

The line forms behind Mayor Goodman..

Ron Kantowski can be reached at 259-4008 or ron@lasvegasssun.com.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2006, 04:08 PM   #77
country flag partygirl

partygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond repute

wow!
then let honorable mayor Good-man-bitch
be the number 1 seed and play if its so easy huh?

...drink a gatorade and get 1 nights sleep...what a dick only we may speak of andy in such terms (and i dont think even any of us would say something that stupid.)

Last edited by partygirl : 02-27-2006 at 04:12 PM.
partygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 04:18 PM   #78
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

I wrote our dear friend an email
================
Mr. Kantowski,
I am not normally one to write to journalists commenting on their articles, but your latest got me fired up enough to do so. You portray Andy Roddick as an evil selfish guy who was toying with your city and the Tennis Channel Open tournament. Before your blasting article that borders on defamatory, did you even take the time to look up the facts? Roddick played an almost 4-hour Davis Cup match 2 weekends ago. He threw up multiple times on court and had to have multiple IV treatments after the match. 2 days later and not 100% recovered, he came back out and won a match to send the USA to the next round. But two days later, he had flown to San Jose and played 4 matches there in 5 days. Then just 3 days after that, he played 3 more matches - all of which were over 2 hours in length and exhausting - in Memphis. Is it so hard to believe that these matches took a toll on him physically? When he committed to Davis Cup and these tournaments months ago, do you think he could possibly have had the foresight to know what was going to happen and to know how his body and mind would feel? These guys play almost 11 months out of the year and people depend on them - sponsors, tournaments, fans, etc. Do they really want to risk their careers by playing in a small tournament when they are tired? If you knew anything about tennis - or even sports in general - you would know that the likelihood of injury is far greater when a player is tired.

Do you play tennis, or even know anything about it? Do you know what playing that much and traveling that much does to the body - and the MIND? How can you judge him? Would you and your esteemed mayor have preferred that he showed up listless and exhausted only to lose in the first rounds? Wouldn't the fans have been just as disappointed? If it's so easy, why don't you and the Mayor step in and play. It's not Roddick's fault that he pulled out in plenty of time (officially slated at Thursday night, to be exact) and the tournament organization failed to publicize it until Sunday - that is the tournament's fault.

And you know what, most fans are pretty understanding. I had tickets to last summer's tournament in Los Angeles - an event the same size as the one starting in Las Vegas today. The day the draw was made, Roddick pulled out - for no apparent reason. Sure I was disappointed for a day, but I went to the tournament anyway and had a fantastic time and saw lots of wonderful tennis. Tennis fans, unlike yourself and unlike the Mayor, understand that these players are only human and can't be playing machines every single week. Perhaps Roddick made a mistake in ever committing to the tournament, perhaps he and his team should have had better foresight about what playing 4 weeks in a row would do to him. But that's a MISTAKE, not an intentional act to lie to the Vegas tournament. He's only human.

What strikes me is that the tournament organization doesn't share the same outrage as you and your mayor. But yet, you assume Mr. Bellamy is lying and that he shares yours and the Mayor's mean-spirited feelings. Why would he lie? He does not want to antagonize Roddick - who not only may play this tournament in the future but appears on his television network all the time. Perhaps that is because Mr. Bellamy actually played - and understands - tennis and understands that sometimes top players are simply exhausted and need the week off. What a concept! Moreover, where is your outrage that Andre Agassi chose to accept a half-million+ appearance fee to play in DUBAI instead of in his supposedly beloved home city? To me, that's just as outrageous than a player making the difficult decision to pull out of a tournament.

You and the Mayor made it sound like he was intentionally slighting your city and the tournament. Do you think he (and his handlers) are that stupid? He was well aware that the tournament was using him to promote itself and that he was a big asset to a small tournament. It is the exact loyalty that YOU mistakenly said he was devoid of that explains why he returns to cities like San Jose, Memphis, and Houston every year - they helped him out when he was just a kid in 2001 and he feels like he has a DUTY to keep returning.

As for your Mayor's disgusting comments... if he checked the record books, he'd know that last time Roddick played Hewitt, he is the one who did the butt-kicking.

I'm ashamed and disgusted by this article and your mayor's comments - both of you could have researched the FACTS and analyzed the situation under a much fairer and equal viewpoint, but instead you chose to assume the worst about a guy who started a charitable foundation when he was 17, who risks his own career to keep commitments to charity exhibitions and other smaller tournaments that his schedule would perhaps be better without. You failed to research the fact that just last November, he injured his back in Paris and not 2 days later he appeared in Hershey, Pennsylvania playing a charity exhibition. He later had to withdraw from the prestigious year-ending championships because of that back injury, but he sucked it up enough to perform for the fans at that exhibition. You called him a disloyal liar and did not even stop to think that he may have had valid reasons for withdrawing from this tournament. You assumed that he was lying all along about playing, yet you have no factual basis for that accusatory statement. I thought the plight of journalists was to divulge the TRUTH. One cannot divulge the truth without first investigating the facts, and your bitter column proves quite plainly that you were either too lazy or incapable of checking the facts before you went and defamed someone who has done as much for the sport of tennis in this country as anyone has in a very long time.

As a new Los Angeles resident, I was waiting for the time that I would be able to make it to Vegas, where so many people have told me I'd have a good time. However, if this is the kind of shoddy journalism and embarrassing mayor that your city has to present to the general public, I think I'll save my money and take a vacation elsewhere. And I sure hope that Andy Roddick has seen your column and that he never steps foot in your city again.

Debra ********
Los Angeles, CA

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 04:32 PM   #79
country flag partygirl

partygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: The "rant here until Andy's next tournament" thread

deb,
"girl...you got style."

good for you...i love that the response is just about as long as the stupid article.
i really hope he reads all of it.
honestly it should be published right next to the big fat retraction, of some sort.
partygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 04:52 PM   #80
country flag Winston's Human

Winston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond repute

Deb:

The only thing that you left out is that our Andy (regardless of his faults and current form) does not need character lessons from a shady former mob lawyer like Oscar Goodman.

Try googling Oscar Goodman mafia.
Winston's Human is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 04:55 PM   #81
heya
Banned!

heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute

gulible, impulsive 10 year old fans & American tapeworms!

PREDICTABLE, insecure writers/tennis scum experts!!
fake SUPPORTERS ----posers!

"Lovely" old pimps, better wave your US FLAG....

Go cheer for Andre and Hewitt....... wah!

Let's see if you can play tennis with tension in your house and match...patriotic twits!!!!
heya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 04:58 PM   #82
country flag warmy

warmy has a reputation beyond reputewarmy has a reputation beyond reputewarmy has a reputation beyond reputewarmy has a reputation beyond reputewarmy has a reputation beyond reputewarmy has a reputation beyond reputewarmy has a reputation beyond reputewarmy has a reputation beyond reputewarmy has a reputation beyond reputewarmy has a reputation beyond reputewarmy has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch.
Debstah.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:14 PM   #83
country flag Winston's Human

Winston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by heya
gulible, impulsive 10 year old fans & American tapeworms!

PREDICTABLE, insecure writers/tennis scum experts!!
fake SUPPORTERS ----posers!

"Lovely" old pimps, better wave your US FLAG....

Go cheer for Andre and Hewitt....... wah!

Let's see if you can play tennis with tension in your house and match...patriotic twits!!!!
They can't cheer for local boy Andre as he followed the cash all the way to Dubai.

I wonder what Mayor Goodman has to say about that?
Winston's Human is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 05:15 PM   #84
country flag acoffeygirl

acoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Great stuff Deb!!!

Through this world I've stumbled, So many times betrayed
Trying to find an honest word to find, The truth enslaved
Oh you speak to me in riddles, And you speak to me in rhymes
My body aches to breathe your breath, Your words keep me alive
And I would be the one, To hold you down
Kiss you so hard, I'll take your breath away
And after, I'd wipe away the tears
Just close your eyes dear
acoffeygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 05:17 PM   #85
country flag Caren

Caren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond repute

Deb I salute you,

Please remind me never to get on you're bad side,
Caren is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 05:31 PM   #86
country flag blosson
La La Land

blosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond repute

Deb, I can not believe you signed "Debra".

Your email is super and it's a shame it not published in the same article as "replies". Sometimes I wish Andy was actually more selfish and put his career first.
blosson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 05:37 PM   #87
country flag warmy

warmy has a reputation beyond reputewarmy has a reputation beyond reputewarmy has a reputation beyond reputewarmy has a reputation beyond reputewarmy has a reputation beyond reputewarmy has a reputation beyond reputewarmy has a reputation beyond reputewarmy has a reputation beyond reputewarmy has a reputation beyond reputewarmy has a reputation beyond reputewarmy has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen AngryDeb once, and I have no desire to see her again. Trust me, she is scary and fast-typing. Not a good combination.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:54 PM   #88
country flag MisterQ

MisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond repute

Andre had already committed himself to playing Dubai before the Scottsdale event was moved to Vegas.

I believe in luck. How else can you explain the success of those you don't like? ---Jean Cocteau
MisterQ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:07 PM   #89
country flag williaer

williaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond repute

deb you rock my world
and that article is vomit worthy, i cannot believe they said such things
williaer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:26 PM   #90
country flag sadhbh

sadhbh has a reputation beyond reputesadhbh has a reputation beyond reputesadhbh has a reputation beyond reputesadhbh has a reputation beyond reputesadhbh has a reputation beyond reputesadhbh has a reputation beyond reputesadhbh has a reputation beyond reputesadhbh has a reputation beyond reputesadhbh has a reputation beyond reputesadhbh has a reputation beyond reputesadhbh has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Tournament director Steve Bellamy said something about how the TCO would have loved to have had Roddick but because the field is so deep, it wouldn't miss him all that much.
Bad loosers.

Quote:
He threw up multiple times on court and had to have multiple IV treatments after the match. 2 days later and not 100% recovered, he came back out and won a match to send the USA to the next round.
I haven't watched tennis so much I missed all of that.

Juan Carlos Ferrero Thomas Johannson Llyeton Hewitt

Check out The Fiction Archive
sadhbh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote