The "rant here until Andy's next tournament" thread - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-26-2006, 06:23 AM   #46
country flag Devotee

Devotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "Andy's next tournament, wherever the hell it may be" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb.
How exactly is Andy not motivated?
On the tennis court while playing a match, he doesn't seem motivated.
Didn't Fee say the other night he seemed not to care?
At the AO against Baghdatis he just gave up.

Also, IMO bad body language can indicate lack of motivation.
Devotee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2006, 06:27 AM   #47
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

But it's all mental. It's not like he's not motivated to do well. He's putting in the work, unlike the Williamses. Maybe he's not doing anything for his mental issues but at least he's recognizing things aren't going well and he changed coaches and whatever.

If you interpret his body language and whatever to be lack of motivation, that's your opinion. I don't agree. I just think he doesn't have the confidence and mental fortuity to make mid-match adjustments so when the going gets tough, he just sort of goes away. It's different in a match like Arthurs where it was close b/c Arthurs was serving so big so Andy knew he'd probably have his chance if he hung in there. But because he hasn't got the confidence to step up, particularly off the ground, his body language gets bad and stuff. It's not like he walks out on court looking defeated.. it happens during a match that gets tight, and that's why to me it doesn't signify a lack of motivation - at least not the same kind of distracted lack of motivation that the Williamses seem to have right now.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 06:53 AM   #48
country flag J. Corwin
psychotic banana

J. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devotee
Serena & Venus Williams come to mind.
I'm a fan of both Andy and Venus but I don't think they have the same issues. Venus, as much as I like her, is stubborn and won't train hard enough to bring out her potential in tennis. Andy...well...maybe he's stubborn too in that he isn't seeking outside help (ie shrink!) to do something about his shittastic game right now. But he, unlike Vee, is willing to put in all the hard work, it's just that he doesn't know his forehead from his forehand at the moment.

And like I've said before...Andy needs to suck in helium or whatever to jump start his game.

Serena needs to suck in her gut.

"For seven and a half years I've worked alongside President Reagan. We've had triumphs. Made some mistakes. We've had some sex...uh...setbacks."
George H.W. Bush, 1988

"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family."
George W. Bush, 2000

15.5 - 40.5 ... 2,1,1 demolition job
(fan club spots are still open! )
J. Corwin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 06:54 AM   #49
country flag williaer

williaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond repute

Devotee, I'm going to have to disagree with you...
I'm pretty gutted at the moment with how Andy is performing, and hell, I'm frustrated too. But I don't think any of this is a result of lack of hard work. We've heard Andy say a billion times that he's working super hard, Dean and Doug have both said he does, the Bryans have (and they never lie ) and even our favourite Brad Gilbert has talked numerous times about how hard and motivated Andy works. Brad has even talked in awe about Andy's hard work after the split, where he can speak as honest as he damn well likes.

The Williams sisters are the perfect example of non-motivated people... after Serena lost this year @ the AO, I saw her in the hallway just after the match and she looked bloody happy to be getting the hell out of Melbourne. Andy takes his losses hard (generally) and I think what you're describing as lack of motivation is just Andy being totally stumped as to why he's playing like shit -and also lack of confidence. It's quite the vicious circle; when he plays like shit, he has no confidence and therefore doesn't go for shots leading losing more matches and more confidence.

I think he's just going through a rough patch in his career and it's going to take a fair bit to get out of it. As Tangy said (so perfectly) before, Andy is probably thinking too much and is being given too many opinions and is just a little confuzzled as to what to do now. As frustrated as I am, I still have faith that he will crawl out of his slump.

Last edited by williaer : 02-26-2006 at 11:05 AM.
williaer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 10:46 AM   #50
country flag blosson
La La Land

blosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond repute

Andy has a peanut brain and needs time (like 2 years and still counting) to digest things... oh Andy.
blosson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 02:41 PM   #51
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by belco
he needs to take a breather

and get back to 100% and #1
Strangely, I think that might be a good idea. I don't know when he should take it but, at some point this year, I think he should try to take 2-3 months out.

Maybe he should consider skipping the clay court season. He could then try to make a come-back for the grass court season. I think a fresh start could be all that he needs to get himself out of this mess.
Jimnik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 03:16 PM   #52
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Spades
it's just that he doesn't know his forehead from his forehand at the moment.
DEAD

I love you Jace, that has to go in my sig.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 02-26-2006, 09:15 PM   #53
country flag Winston's Human

Winston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimnik
Strangely, I think that might be a good idea. I don't know when he should take it but, at some point this year, I think he should try to take 2-3 months out.

Maybe he should consider skipping the clay court season. He could then try to make a come-back for the grass court season. I think a fresh start could be all that he needs to get himself out of this mess.
That would not be a bad idea since Andy only has a few points to defend between Houston and Queens.

Given his current form, it is unlikely that Andy would garner many points during the European clay court season.
Winston's Human is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 09:17 PM   #54
country flag Deboogle!.

I'm not saying I disagree, but would taking a break really make a difference? He had 2 months off in the off-season, allegedly worked harder and had a better off-season than he'd ever had, was more excited than ever to start 2006, and all of that stuff lasted for about 3 matches.

I just don't know what it would accomplish?

Old 02-26-2006, 09:18 PM   #55
country flag superpinkone37

superpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond repute

That's true...but at the same time, he needs to make some progress on clay. He CAN play decently on clay, a lot of it is just mental. I don't think skipping the clay season just because he's not very good on it would be such a good idea. That's just running scared..

superpinkone37 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 10:05 PM   #56
heya
Banned!

heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry, y'all.
If his brother's injured, his mother's his practice partner.

He wins in the Andy Roddick Foundation axhibition. He wins at life!
heya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 10:41 PM   #57
country flag superpinkone37

superpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond repute

superpinkone37 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 10:55 PM   #58
country flag guida

guida has a reputation beyond reputeguida has a reputation beyond reputeguida has a reputation beyond reputeguida has a reputation beyond reputeguida has a reputation beyond reputeguida has a reputation beyond reputeguida has a reputation beyond reputeguida has a reputation beyond reputeguida has a reputation beyond reputeguida has a reputation beyond reputeguida has a reputation beyond repute

guida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 12:06 AM   #59
country flag Caren

Caren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond repute

I just don't know what to say about him anymore. I've said everything i needed to say about him at nauseum. I don't agree that he should take an extensive break from the game, to me that doesn't make sense, he may not have many points to defend in the clay court season but he has a lot more to gain. Like Tangy said he's hit bottom (i can only imagine, if there was any further down then i'd actually be serious in saying he should retire) and so there's only up to go. I can't see him being like this all year, he's in a slump fair enough, take this week...have a few days off then get out and hit some balls maybe wednesday/thursday.

The only way his confidence is gonna be built is on the court, you can't rebuild confidence in a sport by not playing it that doesn't make sense. I think its fairly obvious that it'll be a long time, if he even will, before he'll see anybody to fix his head, so we can only hope that he'll do it himself.
Although she/he does it in a round about sort of way i tend to agree with Heya on the family support thing, i know you can't beat you're son or brother when they're down (i mean that metaphorically not physically) but they should be telling him to leave things out of his schedule to make way for more tennis practices etc. Forget about the exhibitions and all the charity appearences, yes its nice to see him out of tennis but not if its gonna effect his tennis. I think his family have a lot to answer for in that over the last number of years they've helped make obligations (contract or otherwise) for Andy to appear at a certain number of things and now that Andy realises he can't be the guy that goes to LA to do a tv appearence on the friday, talk about how good the game is, be the all round nice guy and have a tournament in europe on the monday (not that thats happened again i'm speaking metaphorically) and i think now he feels that if he pulls from these things it reflects badly on him and so he makes himself to do these things while his career takes a sharp nosedive to the ground.

I don't know, he just seriously needs to sit down and think, in the next year do i wanna be the number 1 tennis player, or the number 1 celebrity!!

Wow a lot of writing and no smilies damn i'm getting really philosophical, damn you Andy why do you make me overthink? (had to have at least one)
Caren is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 02:41 AM   #60
heya
Banned!

heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute

Caren

confidence doesn't just happen after hearing,
"You're not talented enough. You're a leader. Hit harder."

Confidence comes from knowing you'll win Slams,
that you can break serve twice a set (not shooting yourself with lame serves/no running), can move without worrying about fatigue + ankle sprains,
can stretch well for the ball, volley fast,
adjust ball tosses before matches with players who play well with powerful serves
(Muller, Benneteau, Federer, Nadal, Nalbandian, Ljubicic, Acasuso, Rochus, Hewitt, Safin, Baghdatis),
use dropshots, strike the ball early,
play with top 30 players in Europe/South America + play with an energetic, athletic coach

Working hard isn't moonballing, serving 140 mph,
hitting 35 mph forehands with mediocre players,
babysitting, playing all Davis Cup matches, overeating, exhausting yourself with goody-2 shoes activities.

I saw him talk bluntly. Saying he didn't want to take the media criticism seriously..."I'm still #3"). (KGO) at San Jose

Last edited by heya : 02-27-2006 at 02:45 AM.
heya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote