The "rant here until Andy's next tournament" thread - Page 12 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-01-2006, 07:34 PM   #166
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "rant here until Andy's next tournament" thread

He's honestly coming close to crossing the line to being defamatory.

SUE HIM ANDY

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2006, 07:35 PM   #167
country flag Winston's Human

Winston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if the tournament director is pleased with Ronnie's comments?

I think Ronnie is making it easier for Andy to choose San Jose and Memphis over Las Vegas in the future.
Winston's Human is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:38 PM   #168
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Considering the tournament director is Steve Bellamy, president and co-founder of TTC, I really doubt he's pleased, because I"m sure he'd enjoy Andy's future participation and cooperation with either/both the tournament and the network in general. He definitely wouldn't want to be on Andy's bad side, I don't think.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 03-01-2006, 07:44 PM   #169
country flag Deboogle!.

Here's what Peter Bodo has to say....
================
Honest Politician Alert!

Posted 3/1/2006 @ 12:31 PM

Andy Roddick’s withdrawal from The Tennis Channel Open in Las Vegas disappointed many fans, caused some to roll their eyes (“It’s only February, for gosh sakes!”), and others to arch their eyebrows when they absorbed Andy’s honest (if not entirely satisfying)confession that he was pulling out because of simple “fatigue.”

I like Andy, but I have to admit that my Inner Truth Seeker jumped up, punched the air, and said, “Yes!” when I read this story in The Las Vegas Sun.

Money quote:

Good thing Las Vegas Mayor Oscar Goodman isn't worried about selling tickets. Or refunding them. Just as predictable, hizzoner wasn't bashful about saying what was on his mind, and he didn't whisper it off the record behind closed doors in the player's lounge.

Grabbing the microphone at the official tournament draw Saturday, Mayor Goodman basically called Roddick a phony who reneged on his word. Then he said the real reason Roddick bailed on the TCO was because Lleyton Hewitt was going to kick his rear end. (He actually said "rear end'' too, although it took all his restraint not to use the real word in front of the genteel country club types.)

I like it when people have the guts to say what they really think, and I also like it when people hold tennis players accountable for their actions in an era characterized by rampant greed, ethical ambiguity, and an increasing sense that tennis players, like celebrities in general, are out of touch with the covenant they make with fans. Celebs today have figured out that as long as they keep finding ways to stay in the public eye, they can do—or not do—anything they want. I’ve written about this before, calling it the Caligula Complex.

Ironically, Andy always struck me as one of the more responsible athletes in this regard. It's unfortunate that he was the one who led a stand-up guy like Mayor Goodman to pop up on our radar. But these days, you’ve got to take your up-front and honest folks wherever you can find them, especially among politicians!

My take on the Andy issue: If it was just fatigue, it was wrong for Andy to pull out. However, I respect him for having the decency to be honest about it, instead of cooking up some phony-baloney injury in a cheap attempt to have it both ways: get out of a tournament commitment, yet not anger or alienate the fan base.

I say it often, but I can’t say it enough. Few of the actual “crimes” tennis players commit against the game are as bad as the hypocrisy players practice in trying to cover them up. If you hated Jimmy Connors for everything else, you had to love him for being man enough to say: “I do the crime, I do the time.”

At the same time, I imagine that the fatigue Roddick cites is metaphorical as well as literal. He must be tired of the relentless speculation about his coaching upheavals, the wisdom of the apparent “catch Roger” strategy that seems to have been driving his approach to tennis for almost two years, and the spate of recent losses that can be traced back to the disastrous Gilles Muller loss at the U.S. Open.

I get the feeling that Andy is experiencing some turmoil and is looking to buy a little time in an effort to regroup and get things back under control. This may be a defining moment in his career: a time when he rethinks his entire program and either finds a way to punch back up to take his place among a Big Four (Federer, Nadal, Safin, Roddick), or a time when he accepts a not entirely horrific fate as the King of the Second Tier.

Old 03-01-2006, 07:55 PM   #170
country flag partygirl

partygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond repute

so now the mayor is a stand up guy?

sounds more like a class A-1 jackass.

if andy had shown up and tried to play like some have suggested...do you think he would have said to andy's face
"lleyton is gonna kick your ass"
that would be honest, sounds like he's trying to show off.

-yuck to this article too
partygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 08:10 PM   #171

Winston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb.
Considering the tournament director is Steve Bellamy, president and co-founder of TTC, I really doubt he's pleased, because I"m sure he'd enjoy Andy's future participation and cooperation with either/both the tournament and the network in general. He definitely wouldn't want to be on Andy's bad side, I don't think.
I should have put a sarcasm note on my prior comment.

I am sure that Bellamy is quite unhappy with Kantowski's comments since he probably hopes to have Andy play Las Vegas in the future since, even with Andy's recent slump, he still has no close competitors for top-ranked American.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:14 PM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by partygirl
so now the mayor is a stand up guy?

sounds more like a class A-1 jackass.

if andy had shown up and tried to play like some have suggested...do you think he would have said to andy's face
"lleyton is gonna kick your ass"
that would be honest, sounds like he's trying to show off.

-yuck to this article too
The mayor of Las Vegas is hardly a wonderful stand-up guy. He made his name as a criminal defense attorney for a number of organized crime figures.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:18 PM   #173
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

If Andy decided not to play the Tennis Channel Open from now on, who can Steve Bellamy blame for it? I'm sure he's breathing down the mayor's neck right now.

As for Andy claiming "fatigue" I really don't understand why this is a problem? He played DC, San Jose, and Memphis all one right after another. He was ill. He fired his coach. He's in another transitional period and he's not looking sharp at all. Had he played TTC that would've been four weeks in a row of a lot of playing and I can't see how playing that much would've helped him prepare to defend his sf points at IW.

If the media's going to throw out the argument of "people pay money to see Andy Roddick and now Andy has disappointed them all, blah blah blah boo hoo hoo" then they should be blaming Bellamy and not Roddick. It's not Roddick's fault that the TD insisted on building the success of his tournament around one player. Why isn't someone with star power like James Blake being as aggressively marketed? Haas is quite popular too.

It is grossly unfair to expect Andy and Andy alone to play every single US tournament on the schedule. Someone might say, "Well then he shouldn't have commited in the first place." Baloney. They have no idea of the kind of pressure Roddick is under to at least commit to these US tournaments, and Bellamy is a very persuasive, ambitious man. We all know how hard Andy has pronouncing the word "no" and we all know that he is very much aware that he is carrying America's hopes on his shoulders. The burden is getting to be too much.

The poor kid is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 08:18 PM   #174
country flag Deboogle!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston's Human
I should have put a sarcasm note on my prior comment.

I am sure that Bellamy is quite unhappy with Kantowski's comments since he probably hopes to have Andy play Las Vegas in the future since, even with Andy's recent slump, he still has no close competitors for top-ranked American.
Oh, sorry

Old 03-01-2006, 08:39 PM   #175
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I hope Andy never plays in Las Vegas (he can find other ways to keep Bellamy happy). I'd also like to see that tournament become an indoor event and move to Chicago (and I'm not the only one who thinks that).

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 08:52 PM   #176
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Uh, I just ranted on Pete's site and this was his response to me:

Wow, tangerine. You're good!

I can't tell if he's being sarcastic or not.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 09:52 PM   #177
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

I posted on Bodo's blog too....

>>>>>Andy is the number one American player and the pressure on him to play EVERY American tournament must be enormous. What other player has to deal with that? None, because no other country has as many tournaments as the US (we can argue that at another time). He did the right thing to pull from Las Vegas, but the ATP won't put 'I need a break, for many reasons' at the bottom of the main draw form, so he used 'fatgiue' as his reason. It's a shame that a sports writer and a Mayor with ABSOLUTELY no prior knowledge of tennis decided to open their mouths without getting rudimentary information about how the ATP tour really works (and the fact that smart tennis fans know that NO player is guaranteed to show up at any tournament because injuries happen). Next time Andy should take a lesson from Mark P. and just tell everyone that he slept in an odd position and his neck hurts too much to play.<<<<<

Hope you don't mind that I stole a thought from you Tangy (or was it Deb?).

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:16 PM   #178
country flag acoffeygirl

acoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Great comments Fee and Tangy!

Through this world I've stumbled, So many times betrayed
Trying to find an honest word to find, The truth enslaved
Oh you speak to me in riddles, And you speak to me in rhymes
My body aches to breathe your breath, Your words keep me alive
And I would be the one, To hold you down
Kiss you so hard, I'll take your breath away
And after, I'd wipe away the tears
Just close your eyes dear
acoffeygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:29 PM   #179
country flag Noelle

Noelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond repute

Bodo is just trying to get a rise out of everyone. He giggles in glee when he gets 92 comments on one blog post -- never mind if most of the later comments are spam. I completely lost respect for him when he started attacking players for no reason.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:42 PM   #180
country flag blosson
La La Land

blosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fee
Hope you don't mind that I stole a thought from you Tangy (or was it Deb?).
That dynamic duo Deb + Tangy? Dengy it is.
blosson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote