South Africa's first black tennis player: DONOVAN SEPTEMBER - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-21-2006, 08:53 PM   #1
country flag vogus

vogus has a reputation beyond reputevogus has a reputation beyond reputevogus has a reputation beyond reputevogus has a reputation beyond reputevogus has a reputation beyond reputevogus has a reputation beyond reputevogus has a reputation beyond reputevogus has a reputation beyond reputevogus has a reputation beyond reputevogus has a reputation beyond reputevogus has a reputation beyond repute
Default South Africa's first black tennis player: DONOVAN SEPTEMBER

I was talking to a black South African friend of mine recently and apparently back in the early 1990's, this guy Donovan September was an absolute legend in terms of breaking down the race barrier and blazing a trail for blacks in South African tennis. My friend said he was an unbelievable talent who came up during the time when only whites were allowed at the clubs where tournaments were held. I had never heard of him though. Anyone know anything about him?
vogus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2006, 08:57 PM   #2
country flag cincy

cincy has a reputation beyond reputecincy has a reputation beyond reputecincy has a reputation beyond reputecincy has a reputation beyond reputecincy has a reputation beyond reputecincy has a reputation beyond reputecincy has a reputation beyond reputecincy has a reputation beyond reputecincy has a reputation beyond reputecincy has a reputation beyond reputecincy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South Africa's first black tennis player: DONOVAN SEPTEMBER

I've never heard of him and I'm sure I would remember a guy named "September." Back in the bad old days, Arthur Ashe spent a lot of time in South Africa and I read all about that. I would think this guy's name would show up during that time.
cincy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 09:00 PM   #3
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute

Pity, that name alone made him deserving of champion status.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 09:29 PM   #4
country flag Goonergal
Splish, Splosh

Goonergal has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergal has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergal has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergal has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergal has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergal has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergal has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergal has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergal has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergal has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergal has a reputation beyond repute

What a great name
Old 02-21-2006, 10:33 PM   #5
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

sigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! What a name! No one would have trouble identifying this guy.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:22 PM   #6
country flag yonexforever

yonexforever has a reputation beyond reputeyonexforever has a reputation beyond reputeyonexforever has a reputation beyond reputeyonexforever has a reputation beyond reputeyonexforever has a reputation beyond reputeyonexforever has a reputation beyond reputeyonexforever has a reputation beyond reputeyonexforever has a reputation beyond reputeyonexforever has a reputation beyond reputeyonexforever has a reputation beyond reputeyonexforever has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogus
I was talking to a black South African friend of mine recently and apparently back in the early 1990's, this guy Donovan September was an absolute legend in terms of breaking down the race barrier and blazing a trail for blacks in South African tennis. My friend said he was an unbelievable talent who came up during the time when only whites were allowed at the clubs where tournaments were held. I had never heard of him though. Anyone know anything about him?
THE ONLY BLACK SOUTH AFRICAN TENNIS PLAYER OR NOTE DURING THAT TIME WAS MARK MATHABANE THAT I CAN REMEMBER... HE WAS SPONSORED AND SUPPORTED BY STAN SMITH.

MARK DIDNT PLAY ON THE TOUR THOUGH, AND LATER WENT ON TO FAME AS A WRITER OF "KAFIR BOY" AND THE SUBSEQUENT FOLLOW UP.
yonexforever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 06:38 AM   #7
country flag binkygirl

binkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond reputebinkygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The only trace I've found of him is in a few Indian futures:

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:...s&ct=clnk&cd=1

Why can't all guys be this sexy?

Member of the MTF pervert squad

Partygirl rules!!

best MTF thread ever - tangerine_dream is a bully
binkygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote