Will Blake ever make the break through?? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-20-2006, 03:23 PM   #1
country flag skel1983

skel1983 has a reputation beyond reputeskel1983 has a reputation beyond reputeskel1983 has a reputation beyond reputeskel1983 has a reputation beyond reputeskel1983 has a reputation beyond reputeskel1983 has a reputation beyond reputeskel1983 has a reputation beyond reputeskel1983 has a reputation beyond reputeskel1983 has a reputation beyond reputeskel1983 has a reputation beyond reputeskel1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Will Blake ever make the break through??

I love James Blake, but i have my doubts of him breaking even the top 15 this year, after last years Us Open, i thought he has the capabilites of a top ten player next year, but i have now come to the conclusion he won't.

My reasoning is that he seems to play in streaks when he is hot he is hot and can hit ball with anyone, but when he is cold he is even colder and just looks novicey, i don't think he has the tactical awareness to win games where he is nowhere near his best, why i bring this up is because i just wathced his match v Robredo at the Oz Open and he looked clueless?? when plan A goes missing he has no other game he just keeps doing the same things over and over again, without puttign any real thought into it, he will have hot streaks because he hit's the ball so hard so when he is finding his range you can't do much about it as Nadal found out last year, but he needs to very his game alot more and needs to find ways of winning without playing anywhere near his best.

What do you guys think??
skel1983 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2006, 03:24 PM   #2
country flag belco
tennishaven.com

belco has a reputation beyond reputebelco has a reputation beyond reputebelco has a reputation beyond reputebelco has a reputation beyond reputebelco has a reputation beyond reputebelco has a reputation beyond reputebelco has a reputation beyond reputebelco has a reputation beyond reputebelco has a reputation beyond reputebelco has a reputation beyond reputebelco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will Blake ever make the break through??

highly doubt it
belco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 03:34 PM   #3
mishar

mishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond reputemishar has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing I'd say about James is that he was a terrible junior, an okay college player, when he was 20, no one expected him to make a big impact as a pro, I say this because I followed his career closely then.
So I always look at it this way. He's really been an over-achiever, he's done much more than anyone ever predicted for him, to win 4 titles and reach top 20.
Having said that, I think he really started to produce his best tennis ever in late 2005, his return of serve had improved a lot, and his backhand. He always had his movement and his forehand. Yes, the Robredo loss was bad (I didn't get to see it) but Tommy is a very good player. And I think he'll always have some bad losses like this week.
If he can produce very good results in the next six weeks, he can get quite close to the top 10, but if he has a lot of bad losses, then I think his chances of getting there are slim. He'll never be Federer, you know, but I say, enjoy the good play when it comes.
mishar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 03:40 PM   #4
country flag JustmeUK

JustmeUK has a reputation beyond reputeJustmeUK has a reputation beyond reputeJustmeUK has a reputation beyond reputeJustmeUK has a reputation beyond reputeJustmeUK has a reputation beyond reputeJustmeUK has a reputation beyond reputeJustmeUK has a reputation beyond reputeJustmeUK has a reputation beyond reputeJustmeUK has a reputation beyond reputeJustmeUK has a reputation beyond reputeJustmeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Let's wait till after the IW/Miami hard court events where if he's going to breakthrough to the top 15 this year would be a good place to start the climb. he's never going to go deep into every tournament but if he can go deep at the big hard court events and maybe even win 1 then yes there is a chance.

Contrary to popular belief, I am not a Rafa hater. I am, however, a RAFATARD hater and therefore take endless delight in each Rafa loss as it allows me to sock it hard to his tards. Do try and understand the difference (TARDS)! Don't get me started on Choke-ovic though. Him I do despise. And his TARDS are the lowest of the low .
JustmeUK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 03:42 PM   #5
country flag PaulieM

PaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond repute

he's far from a model for consistency but i think he can make top 15. everyone has bad losses from time to time, but i think he's actually improved his game quite a bit over the past year or so.

ROGER FEDERER

GROSJEAN, HENMAN, MOYA, CORIA

ANCIC, BLAKE, LJUBICIC, CLEMENT, SANTORO, BAGHDATIS, MONFILS

F-LO, DENT, PHM, MULLER, STEPANEK, PHILIPPOUSSIS

Co-Founder and Proud Member of M.A.S.H.A

"If you even dream of beating me, you'd better wake up and apologize."-Muhammad Ali

My Blog!
PaulieM is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 04:02 PM   #6
country flag gusman890

gusman890 has a reputation beyond reputegusman890 has a reputation beyond reputegusman890 has a reputation beyond reputegusman890 has a reputation beyond reputegusman890 has a reputation beyond reputegusman890 has a reputation beyond reputegusman890 has a reputation beyond reputegusman890 has a reputation beyond reputegusman890 has a reputation beyond reputegusman890 has a reputation beyond reputegusman890 has a reputation beyond repute

i think any pro player would kill to be in the top 20 and james is doing that.

so top 10 is in the air if he plays REALLY well, but since he isnt going have to worry about points until Washington DC in the summer, might as well take advantge of this moment.

I'm an American who loves clay tennis and the clay season...what is wrong with that picture?
gusman890 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 04:07 PM   #7
country flag skel1983

skel1983 has a reputation beyond reputeskel1983 has a reputation beyond reputeskel1983 has a reputation beyond reputeskel1983 has a reputation beyond reputeskel1983 has a reputation beyond reputeskel1983 has a reputation beyond reputeskel1983 has a reputation beyond reputeskel1983 has a reputation beyond reputeskel1983 has a reputation beyond reputeskel1983 has a reputation beyond reputeskel1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusman890
i think any pro player would kill to be in the top 20 and james is doing that.

so top 10 is in the air if he plays REALLY well, but since he isnt going have to worry about points until Washington DC in the summer, might as well take advantge of this moment.

That's exactly my point my friend, he should of won last week and was beaton soundly was he injured because that was out of the blue?? He doesn't seem to be capatilzing at the moment lets hope that changes pretty soon.
skel1983 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 04:51 PM   #8
country flag TheMightyFed

TheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond reputeTheMightyFed has a reputation beyond repute

James rocks, he needs to be fired up. He will win USO one day.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:13 AM   #9
country flag Godiva

Godiva has a reputation beyond reputeGodiva has a reputation beyond reputeGodiva has a reputation beyond reputeGodiva has a reputation beyond reputeGodiva has a reputation beyond reputeGodiva has a reputation beyond reputeGodiva has a reputation beyond reputeGodiva has a reputation beyond reputeGodiva has a reputation beyond reputeGodiva has a reputation beyond reputeGodiva has a reputation beyond repute

NO!!!!! His losses against Hewitt at the Aussie Open last year and Agassi at the U.S. Open last year proves that he's a mental midget.

Of course I'll happily and enthusiastically eat crow if I'm proven wrong.
Godiva is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 03:22 AM   #10
country flag PaulieM

PaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond reputePaulieM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godiva
NO!!!!! His losses against Hewitt at the Aussie Open last year and Agassi at the U.S. Open last year proves that he's a mental midget.

Of course I'll happily and enthusiastically eat crow if I'm proven wrong.
um even if this were true, it wouldn't be the first time that a "mental midget" made it into the top 15.

ROGER FEDERER

"If you even dream of beating me, you'd better wake up and apologize."-Muhammad Ali

My Blog!
Old 02-21-2006, 03:29 AM   #11
country flag Godiva

Godiva has a reputation beyond reputeGodiva has a reputation beyond reputeGodiva has a reputation beyond reputeGodiva has a reputation beyond reputeGodiva has a reputation beyond reputeGodiva has a reputation beyond reputeGodiva has a reputation beyond reputeGodiva has a reputation beyond reputeGodiva has a reputation beyond reputeGodiva has a reputation beyond reputeGodiva has a reputation beyond repute

With James' talent he should be top ten. Top fifteen would be a good acheivement for him, but he's too talented to be outside of the top ten. So I guess I consider top ten being a real break trhough for him rather than top fifteen.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:32 AM   #12
country flag PaulieM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godiva
With James' talent he should be top ten. Top fifteen would be a good acheivement for him, but he's too talented to be outside of the top ten. So I guess I consider top ten being a real break trhough for him rather than top fifteen.
i see. i said top 15 only because i thought that's what the thread starter mentioned.

ROGER FEDERER

My Blog!
Old 02-21-2006, 03:40 AM   #13
country flag Godiva

Well its not absolutely clear if he's asking whether WE think James will make top ten or top fifteen, but I'll consider making the top ten to be the real break through. Anyway, as I said previously, I'll happily eat crow if he can break through.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:35 AM   #14
country flag OddJob

OddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond repute

Top ten is possible but I highly doubt it. Top 15 is more like it tho. James has improved a lot since his comeback from injuries.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle.
OddJob is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 04:49 AM   #15
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Considering he is only 130 points out of the top 15 right now with not much to defend coming up... I don't see how it's highly doubtful that he'll make the top 15 if it's mathematically possible that he could be there as soon as next week or the week after lol.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote