¤~Davis Cup 2006: Quarterfinal against Russia~¤ - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-08-2006, 07:38 PM   #76
country flag Marine

Marine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ¤~Davis Cup 2006: Quarterfinal against Russia~¤

France powers through to defeat Russia in the doubles
The France-Russia Davis Cup by BNP Paribas quarterfinal is still very much alive, after a dramatic doubles in which teamwork was the decisive factor in a pulsating five-setter.

After two days, 14 sets have been contested in a total of 10 hours and 36 minutes, and there may well be a lot of tennis still to play. While the likelihood is still that the Russians will win, the French have at least mobilised the passionate support that the south-western corner of France is known for.

France’s experienced pair of Arnaud Clement and Michael Llodra made sure the fans had something to cheer about, in a match they should probably have won in straight sets. For the first two and a half they gave a masterclass in teamwork, but in the end had to scrape home 63 63 67(3) 57 62 against Russia’s Dmitry Tursunov and Mikhail Youzhny.

French teamwork an advantage

Clement and Llodra were playing for the fifth time together in the competition and had a couple of dozen tour matches to reinforce their on-court understanding, while Tursunov and Youzhny were playing for the first time, and Tursunov for only the second time in a Davis Cup by BNP Paribas doubles.

For two hours it showed! The French played like a combination, while the Russians were often left looking like two individuals. Llodra in particular was outstanding, connecting with some lightning returns, finding some exquisite backhand volley angles, and serving so well the Russians could average just one point per game against him in 13 service games throughout the match and never got near breaking him.

The French were razor sharp from the start, winning the first six points, and while they couldn’t convert the two break points they had in the second game, they took Youzhny’s opening service game en route to a 34-minute first set.

Russia finds its feet

At that moment, the main bloc of French supporters, who had led the 7000 crowd in a spontaneous and highly moving rendition of the ‘Marseillaise’ as the players were warming up, unfurled a large banner reading: “The day of glory has arrived!” It might prove the only day of glory for France this weekend, but ‘glorious’ is not too strong an adjective to describe the way the French pair were playing.

By contrast Tursunov was having something of a nightmare. His backhand volley was letting him down badly, and he lost his serve twice in the second set as the French were two sets up after just 81 minutes. When the French had three break points at 3-3 in the third on the Tursunov serve, the match looked near to finishing. But having saved them, the Russians grew in confidence and the French pair lost a little of their bite.

After winning the tiebreak 7-3, the Russian pair looked solid in the fourth, and it was no surprise when they took advantage of a poor Clement service game to level the match at two sets all. Suddenly it seemed the visitors could confirm their semifinal place before Saturday’s dinner.

But teamwork came to France’s rescue in the fifth. After four service holds, Clement and Llodra connected with some blistering service returns to break Youzhny for 3-2. That breathed new life into the home pair, they broke Tursunov for 5-2, and Clement served out the victory from 0-30 down.

The return of Grosjean?

If there’s an omen in this, it benefits the Russians. They lost the doubles to Clement and Llodra last July by a very similar score but came back to win that quarterfinal, and they lost the doubles in the 2002 final in Paris but still managed to win on the final rubber.

Both captains have a lot of thinking to do before the first of the reverse singles. For France, Sebastien Grosjean is reported to have overcome the back injury that kept him out of Friday’s singles, and looks a likely bet to face Marat Safin in the fifth rubber. But Guy Forget may be tempted to play him against Nikolay Davydenko, especially if France’s top-ranked player Richard Gasquet is still a little tired after his five-set defeat to Safin on Friday.

Russia’s Shamil Tarpischev is likely to gamble on Davydenko, despite the Russian’s cramping problems in the fourth set tiebreak against Clement on Friday. But those problems will give France hope, and if it were to come to a live fifth rubber between Safin and Grosjean, that really could go either way.

There’s still a lot of tennis to be played in Pau before this quarterfinal is decided.
Marine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2006, 08:25 PM   #77
country flag Marine

Marine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond repute

Videos before the matches

http://sport.france3.fr/tout-le-spor...id_article=432

http://sport.france3.fr/tout-le-spor...id_article=435

audio interview in english: Arnaud and Micka http://www.daviscup.com/shared/media...C_5871_mp3.MP3
(not that bad at the end, but I don't recognise Arnaud's voice in english )

Last edited by Marine : 04-08-2006 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:42 PM   #78
country flag Marine

Rare pics of the match (+ http://www.fft.fr/cd2006/France-Russie/?id=1526#)

Old 04-09-2006, 12:18 AM   #79
country flag Via

Via has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond repute

merci marine. there are quite a few more pics to go with the report in daviscup.com

http://www.daviscup.com/gallery/popu...1&current=5877

and now, the victory dance (if only for a day)

so, marat and davy aren't troubled at all? ok.... we'll see
Via is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:43 PM   #80
country flag Marine

Well, they lost, it's not a surprise. Just a pity we couldn't see a decisive match.
Richard seems to be happy about his match, not me ! He wasn't agressive, even if I have to admit Tursunov made a great match.

The video of stade 2

http://sport.france2.fr/stade2/index...id_article=327

Interview Richard http://sport.france2.fr/stade2/index...id_article=326

Interview audio in english http://www.daviscup.com/news/newsaudio.asp?id=13764
I think Arnaud is better than Richard (c'est pour dire !! )
Old 04-09-2006, 07:53 PM   #81
country flag zimzim

zimzim has a reputation beyond reputezimzim has a reputation beyond reputezimzim has a reputation beyond reputezimzim has a reputation beyond reputezimzim has a reputation beyond reputezimzim has a reputation beyond reputezimzim has a reputation beyond reputezimzim has a reputation beyond reputezimzim has a reputation beyond reputezimzim has a reputation beyond reputezimzim has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine

Well, they lost, it's not a surprise. Just a pity we couldn't see a decisive match.
Richard seems to be happy about his match, not me ! He wasn't agressive, even if I have to admit Tursunov made a great match.

The video of stade 2

http://sport.france2.fr/stade2/index...id_article=327

Interview Richard http://sport.france2.fr/stade2/index...id_article=326

Interview audio in english http://www.daviscup.com/news/newsaudio.asp?id=13764
I think Arnaud is better than Richard (c'est pour dire !! )
Am glad he is happy with the match cos I don't want it interferring with his season...I think Richard is better than Arnaud even in Richard's current form
zimzim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:09 PM   #82
country flag Marine

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimzim
Am glad he is happy with the match cos I don't want it interferring with his season...I think Richard is better than Arnaud even in Richard's current form
I don't agree with you. Richard is always satisfied of his matches, even when he loses, and I think it's a lack of ambition. Everubody says he'll be number one etc... and he's 20, he's not that young, he doesn't have to be satisfied afer a loss. The big champions don't say that.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:09 AM   #83
country flag Via

Via has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond reputeVia has a reputation beyond repute

i'm sorry it's richard who lost the tie... if there were a live 5th match then at least everyone could blame marat for playing too good. richard did not expect to play this guy. that fox davydenko... downplayed his injury on friday

i think marine meant arnaud's english is better than richard's ???? lol richard should be playing better than anyone else in france these days. that no.1 position may be a bit too heavy for him to carry right now.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:22 AM   #84
country flag *julie*

*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine
I don't agree with you. Richard is always satisfied of his matches, even when he loses, and I think it's a lack of ambition. Everubody says he'll be number one etc... and he's 20, he's not that young, he doesn't have to be satisfied afer a loss. The big champions don't say that.
I don't think Richard lacked of ambition, Marine. He really likes the DC and is really motivated by this competition.
As for his interviews, I know they can be really irritating but would it be better to hear him say that he has lost all his confidence, is not satisfied with the way he plays, is full of doubts etc... He is trying to keep positive. Don't blame him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via
that no.1 position may be a bit too heavy for him to carry right now.
Absolutely. He only played his first DC last year in july and this week-end, it was his first DC tie played in France. He doesn't have a lot of experience so, yes. I am sure he would have felt more comfortable as the number 2.
And I am really sad Seb or Arnaud couldn't play the fifth rubber.
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
*julie* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 09:18 AM   #85
country flag Marine

Interview Forget

QUEL EST VOTRE SENTIMENT après la défaite ?

– Ça n’est pas passé si loin. Tursunov mérite globalement sa victoire. Richard a pourtant bien joué. Il laisse peut-être passer une petite occase au cinquième set, et puis c’est l’autre qui s’impose en jouant un tennis d’extraterrestre.

– Attendiez-vous Tursunov à ce niveau ?

– Non. Avant le match, on pensait que Davydenko jouerait. Richard était inquiet par rapport au choc physique qu’il risquait de lui imposer. Et puis on nous a dit qu’il rencontrait Tursunov. Ça l’a un peu rassuré, parce qu’il sait que c’est un garçon un peu inconstant. Aujourd’hui, en tout cas, sur la fin de match, ce ne fut que du bon Tursunov, et même de l’exceptionnel. Je ne sais pas si Richard peut jouer mieux. Il peut être plus frais, prendre un peu plus de risques. Mais, sur la fin de match, il est dominé par Tursunov qui sert à 230 km/h et qui finit avec quatre coups gagnants de “martien”. On a découvert un futur grand.

– Vous avez des regrets ?

– Il faut dire un grand bravo aux Russes parce que nous, on ne peut pas faire mieux que ça aujourd’hui, excepté la blessure de Seb. Face à un Galactique comme Safin et à un numéro 5 mondial (sic), on est limités. On grappille le point du double, on aurait pu en grappiller un de mieux, mais on est à fond les manettes. Aujourd’hui, j’ai un sentiment d’infériorité. C’est dur, mais c’est la loi du sport. Pourtant, tous les garçons qui ont été sur le terrain se sont montrés très proches de leur meilleur niveau. Ils ont fait le maximum.

– Que se serait-il passé à 2 partout ?

– Arnaud Clément aurait joué. Seb avait fait un test ce matin (hier matin) et nous avait dit qu’il ne se sentait pas capable de jouer. Il se disait capable de servir à 75 %. Il se serait fait déchirer au retour.

– Quelles leçons tirer pour l’avenir ?

– Ce match nous donne des repères. À nous de dégager un fil conducteur. Ce soir, je vais dire aux gars que ce match nous a montré nos limites par rapport à ce qui se fait de mieux dans le monde. Chacun d’entre nous doit faire une analyse objective du travail et des progrès à accomplir. Richard peut et doit progresser physiquement. Ses capacités physiques sont bien supérieures aujourd’hui à l’idée qu’il s’en fait. Il doit progresser dans l’image qu’il se fait de lui-même.

– Qu’ont les Russes de plus que les Français ?

– Ça prouve qu’ils ont un système qui est plutôt bon. Et on ne parle même pas des joueuses ! Nous, avec ce groupe, avec Richard, avec des garçons comme Paul-Henri (Mathieu), Gaël (Monfils), on peut envisager l’avenir avec optimisme, pour peu que l’on se mette au boulot. Il ne faut pas dire : “Avec les années qui passent, naturellement je vais progresser.” Non ! Les Russes, pendant ce temps-là, ils cravachent, ils sont forts, ils sont devant. À nous de mettre les bouchées doubles.

– Face à des nations comme la Russie, l’esprit d’équipe ne suffit plus ?

– L’esprit d’équipe est là. Je peux vous dire que, dans les vestiaires, c’était chouette de voir tous les garçons se serrer les coudes et se remonter le moral. L’esprit d’équipe, c’est la base. Mais, comme en rugby ou en boxe, on est face à un gars qui a du talent, qui a envie de gagner, qui est méchant. Et à un moment donné, tout le travail qui est accompli auparavant, toute la volonté, tout le bluff, toute la confiance font la différence. Ça s’acquiert bien sûr à l’entraînement, avec des mois et des années de travail. Avec des victoires en tournoi aussi. Quand on voit la sérénité d’un gars comme Marat Safin, ses deux titres du Grand Chelem n’y sont pas pour rien. Chez nous, excepté peut-être Seb, le grand absent du week-end, on n’a pas forcément ces références-là. Donc, dans des moments où c’est très, très accroché, où ça peut basculer d’un côté ou de l’autre, comme par hasard, cela fait plusieurs fois que ça bascule du côté des Russes.

– Comment situer le niveau de l’équipe de France ?

– Aujourd’hui, l’Argentine, l’Espagne, la Russie sont devant nous. On doit faire ce constat. Et même si, parfois, on arrive à créer des exploits, ça ne doit pas nous fermer les yeux.

– Est-ce que l’équipe de France plafonne ?

– Non ! Encore une fois, on est à notre maximum, à notre niveau. Et face à des équipes comme la Russie, lorsqu’elles jouent très bien, on ne gagne pas. C’est logique. C’est comme lorsqu’on joue contre les All Blacks en rugby : on a beau faire le match parfait, malheureusement, on bute. Nous, si on affronte les Russes dix fois, je pense que l’on va perdre sept ou huit fois.

– Est-ce que cette défaite remet quelque chose en cause, chez vous ou collectivement ?

– Personnellement, cela ne remet rien en doute. Je le répète, je suis fier des garçons. Je leur ai redit. C’est dans les moments difficiles où il faut les féliciter de ce qu’ils ont fait. En même temps, ce n’est pas par l’opération du Saint-Esprit que l’on va battre les Russes si on les rejoue dans six mois. J’espère que, d’ici l’année prochaine, les anciens maintiendront leur niveau de jeu, au minimum, et que les jeunes feront de gros progrès. »
Old 04-10-2006, 09:20 AM   #86
country flag Marine

ILS ONT DIT

Éric DEBLICKER (entraîneur de Richard Gasquet) : « Richard n’a pas grand-chose à se reprocher, sauf au premier set, où il se met trop lentement en action. Tursunov a un super-coup droit et il a été très constant. Ce que je retiens de ce match, c’est qu’il faut que Richard prenne conscience de pas mal de choses, qu’il gère notamment mieux la récupération. Aujourd’hui (hier), à cause de courbatures, sa mise en route “physique” a été trop longue. Mais bravo à Tursunov. Il n’y a rien à dire sur le résultat du match. »

Chamil TARPICHTCHEV (capitaine russe) : « Le secret de notre réussite ? L’humour qui règne au sein de notre équipe, qui est très important. Grâce à cela, nous sommes très soudés, chaque membre du groupe, les coaches, les médecins ont beaucoup d’humour et sont particulièrement psychologues. lol
Ils savent bien faire passer les messages, et aident à entretenir de bonnes relations entre les joueurs. (…) Je savais que Tursunov pouvait poser des problèmes à Gasquet mais, si je n’ai pas choisi Davydenko, c’est parce que physiquement celui-ci n’était pas à cent pour cent ce matin (hier). S’il avait été en mesure de jouer normalement, je l’aurais choisi à la place de Tursunov. » – D. B.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:23 AM   #87
country flag Via

thanks marine for the interviews... was there something strange about what the russian captain said ?

guy really is counting on the next generation to grow up quickly lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by *julie*
Absolutely. He only played his first DC last year in july and this week-end, it was his first DC tie played in France. He doesn't have a lot of experience so, yes. I am sure he would have felt more comfortable as the number 2.
And I am really sad Seb or Arnaud couldn't play the fifth rubber.
being no.1 is a nice problem to have

it was going to be arnaud if there was a live 5th rubber... i think he would rather go down in flames too.