Mooo! The Americans May Be High On Grass But CHILE's GARRA Will Smoke Them Out! - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-13-2006, 02:42 PM   #16
country flag NicoFan

NicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oh Say Can You See...Its CHILE vs. the USA in the QFs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidnicky
I know that I'll be proud of our boys no matter what the result will be

p.s. I knew that it would have been to much that you asked to Nico for a signature in your flag
Me too. Our two cute Chileno chicos.

Yeah, just never can get the courage up. And probably never will.
NicoFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2006, 02:48 PM   #17
country flag NicoFan

NicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond repute

In this article in latercera, there's a picture of the boys throwing their shoes into the crowd. And then on the far upper right, you can see a small picture of the boys with their arms around each other.

Wish I could find both of those pictures as regular pictures.

http://www.latercera.cl/medio/articu...397900,00.html
Old 02-13-2006, 03:57 PM   #18
country flag kidnicky
Could it be any harder...

kidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoFan
Me too. Our two cute Chileno chicos.

Yeah, just never can get the courage up. And probably never will.

You never will??? yeah right!! don't worry I'll "help" you

Nice pics in the article, maybe later we could find pics like those

AC MILAN

Paolo Maldini
The second thing that gets better with age

kidnicky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:02 PM   #19
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Unfortunately too big.

And when I went from London to Madrid, it was like a 3 hour flight - I was like this is just too cool.

Part of it is me though - I don't like long flights - I get too restless, and start to feel like I'm in the twilight zone.

Everything is fine - thanks for asking. The snow is so pretty, and yesterday it looked like a winter wonderland. The trains were a b*tch today, but what can you do.
I am with you on the long haul flights - I get really claustrophobic and get panic attacks, which is why I never go to the tournaments in the States or Latin America even though I would love to In fact if it's logistically possible I drive or get the overnight train within Europe to avoid the flights. Glad you are alright in the snow

Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more
*Ljubica* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:41 PM   #20
country flag NicoFan

Kid - nah, don't need help...you know what I think about people bothering the players.

Rosie - wish we had great trains like you have in Europe - long distance train service here in the US is less than dependable. Yet again, I wish I lived in Europe! Or Chile - the promise land of tennis. Or Argentina - the Paris of South America.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:12 PM   #21
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Kid - nah, don't need help...you know what I think about people bothering the players.

Rosie - wish we had great trains like you have in Europe - long distance train service here in the US is less than dependable. Yet again, I wish I lived in Europe! Or Chile - the promise land of tennis. Or Argentina - the Paris of South America.
Trains in England itself are not so great, but Germany, Switzerland etc are really good And if you want to come and live in Europe - you are welcome anytime

Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more
Old 02-13-2006, 05:20 PM   #22
country flag kidnicky

kidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond repute

It was just a way to say it, "help" instead of "force"

Don't complain about having no trains NicoFan, we're worse here lol! but Rosie definetely has a great advantage in that aspect. I'd love to live in Chile, by this time I guess that I'd continue celebrating that we're in the quaterfinals

AC MILAN

Paolo Maldini

Old 02-14-2006, 12:15 PM   #23
country flag NicoFan

The Americans seem pretty confident that they'll beat our chicos on grass.

From latercera.cl:

There are five in the American headquarters that are in career to receive to Chile by the quarterfinals in Davis Cup. The Americans will seek the form that the team headed by Fernando González and Nicolas Massú does not sit down comfortable and in this sense the grass (or a surface indoor hard) seems to be the most logical alternative to receive to the Olympic champions. Thus it is removed of the words of the American players:

1.- PODERIO IN GRASS

James Blake was the number two of its country in the victory on Rumania the weekend. And he has a reason so that United States choose grass. "Behind Roger Federer, Andy Roddick is the best player of the world on grass. The he feels very well there and the two last years he played the end in Wimbledon. I have also improved a lot my service and my play he can be efficient in this court. I feel comfortable voleando and he sits down me well to face to Massú and González in grass", he said Blake. "For me would be a great advantage to play in grass, the one that probably is my better surface", added the number one U.S., Andy Roddick.

2.- AGAINST THE CHILEANS

Massú has played six times in Wimbledon and so alone a year (2001) advanced to the third round. González improved his play in the 2005 al to arrive at quarterfinals. Blake believes that "Massú does not play well on grass and though González has a great service, once I am in the point I have better options", the player said.

For a long time, the Olympic champions arrived almost without preparation to the tournaments of grass and they saw almost as an obligation to play in the Grand English Slam. Of all forms the Chileans assure that with a good preparation they can give a surprise.

3.- SMALLER EFFICACY IN DOUBLE

The brothers Bryan, that play the double, already they said also that they wanted to play in grass . And they have a reason of weight. "It is certain that Massú and González beat them in the Olympic Games of Athens, but I do not know what so troops will be being remained in the fund of the court in grass, like they are used to doing it", explained Roddick. "I like by the Bryan in any court, but with greater reason in grass", added Blake.

4.- BUT ALTERNATIVES

United States has a great fan to play in grass. "Besides Andy Roddick, they are Taylor Dent and Robby Ginepri, that can walk very well in grass, for which I will have to fight for a position", said James Blake. All fearsome players by its service, that gain effectiveness in this surface.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:53 PM   #24
country flag NicoFan

Aw, geez, more controversy. Why air these things in the newspapers? Personally, I was wondering why Horacio was there - Nico didn't have Gaby there - Hans is the coach during Davis Cup.

From terra.cl:

Not all could be happiness in Davis Cup after the notable triumph of Chile on Slovakia by the World Group.

And the fact is that the captain of Davis Cup, Hans Gildemeister, said to be uncomfortable with Horacio de la Pena by some attitudes of the trasandino in Rancagua.

In conversation with Radio Agriculture, the "Bionic" revealed that the "Pulga" was proud and was taken attributions that him did not correspond. It is more, even assured that would be able to leave the headquarters if the things do not change.

"The group was very united, coaching well, but Fernando (González) did not arrive in good conditions. And he (de la Pena) arrived from sudden shouting of the stands that now I am going to take Fernando and I am going to fix him his tennis, when from Auckland that has not won a match. That bothered me", began throwing.

And it continued sentencing that "I understand me perfectly with Horacio, but when arrives shouting and raising the voice and carries Fernando to the back courts and to Nico says very good the decision of the court that they took, obviously bothered me and also a lot to Nicolas (Massú). He has a very strong head and him did not he affect".

"I have a relation with the players. They ask me the coach and is conversable. (Adrián) Garcia and Paul (Capdeville) did not they do it and I arrive Sunday and I see Horacio de la Pena in the court number one coaching with them. Is a lack of respect", continued.

"He (de la Pena) has to speak with me. I do it with the confederacy and if they support me, fantastic. If not, I get my things and I go", threatened.

And to finalize, Gildemeister exposed that "my idea is to do the things well and with I please. So that we achieve triumphs this has to function to the perfection. Thus I am".
Old 02-14-2006, 02:36 PM   #25
country flag kidnicky

Thanks for the articles NicoFan! like you said, the americans are pretty confident that they'll kick our lovely chilean butts, but in tennis anything could happen and even more if the team that they'd have in front is Chile, so we'll see

About Horacio and Hans, I had read something about that and I thought exactly the same, that's why Gaby always stays away when Nico is practicing for DC and I think that Horacio has to understand the same, that during DC Hans is the coach and the captain and to avoid this kind of problems and in order to not confusse Feńa or even Nico, he should stay away from that, but that's just my humble opinion

AC MILAN

Paolo Maldini

Old 02-14-2006, 03:04 PM   #26
country flag NicoFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidnicky
Thanks for the articles NicoFan! like you said, the americans are pretty confident that they'll kick our lovely chilean butts, but in tennis anything could happen and even more if the team that they'd have in front is Chile, so we'll see

About Horacio and Hans, I had read something about that and I thought exactly the same, that's why Gaby always stays away when Nico is practicing for DC and I think that Horacio has to understand the same, that during DC Hans is the coach and the captain and to avoid this kind of problems and in order to not confusse Feńa or even Nico, he should stay away from that, but that's just my humble opinion
Or if Horacio insists on being there, Nico should insist that Gaby is there. I really like Horacio a lot, but sometimes, I just want to over things he does.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:59 PM   #27
country flag Sparko1030

Sparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond repute

Good, let the US players be confident-I'm sure they feel they have reason to be. If they are confident of a win though, the Chileans can come in and suprise them! It could really work in Chile's favor. (And I hope for many reasons James doesn't make the team so I don't have to root against him plus he is a better player then Dent and Ginerpri IMO)

And always with a coaching controversy.... Hans may have reason to have issues with Horacio but I agree with Nicofan, why does he have to air it publically???? The team doesn't need to be torn b/t the two and that's what a public statement like that does. I mean, now what does Fernando say when he gets the inevitable question from the press?

FERNANDO GONZALEZ

Best Wishes to: Marcos~Janko~Ivan~Marat~Lucho~Rafa~Tommy H
Gaston-best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

"Its hard to argue against cynics-they always sound smarter than optimists because they have so much evidence on their side." Molly Ivins, 1944-2007
Sparko1030 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 04:20 PM   #28
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

Quote:
Or if Horacio insists on being there, Nico should insist that Gaby is there. I really like Horacio a lot, but sometimes, I just want to over things he does.
I always feel like that about Horacio Seriously - with the Argentine DC Team they never had that situation because their rule was that either ALL the respective coaches came with the Team or none of them did - that way it was fair to everybody. And at all times the individual players' coaches "reported" to the DC team Coach (Mancini) so that there was no conflict of interests or different opinions to tear the team apart. It seemed to work well for them.

Last edited by *Ljubica* : 02-14-2006 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:57 PM   #29
country flag +alonso

+alonso has a reputation beyond repute+alonso has a reputation beyond repute+alonso has a reputation beyond repute+alonso has a reputation beyond repute+alonso has a reputation beyond repute+alonso has a reputation beyond repute+alonso has a reputation beyond repute+alonso has a reputation beyond repute+alonso has a reputation beyond repute+alonso has a reputation beyond repute+alonso has a reputation beyond repute

VAMOS CHILE!
I'm very confident about our result in QF's Really
We all know Nico plays way to different during DC ties So Blake & Roddick can say whatever they want, they still don't have the same "garra" and just a few teams can play with all their heart for its country like CHILE!
Old 02-15-2006, 12:42 PM   #30
country flag NicoFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Lt*Alonso*Cl>
VAMOS CHILE!
I'm very confident about our result in QF's Really
We all know Nico plays way to different during DC ties So Blake & Roddick can say whatever they want, they still don't have the same "garra" and just a few teams can play with all their heart for its country like CHILE!
The Americans don't have the same "garra" as the Chileans. I saw Chile celebrating after their win - they were so excited. For the Americans, it was like - oh yeah right, we're supposed to run around the court with the flag for the cameras.

And the way I figure it – Chile is the underdog in this matchup – a slight underdog on indoor hard and very much the underdog on grass.

But….

The thing that makes the US so strong is:

1) Andy
2) The depth of the US team
3) Surface
4) Home crowd

On indoor hard, Andy is great. The rest of the US team is excellent – James, Robby, and maybe Taylor, and of course, the Bryans in doubles

But once they choose grass, they lose the rest of the US team – no James, no Robby – Fernando is much better on grass than either of them. And Taylor – I really like Taylor so don't enjoy saying negative things about him, but he's always sooooo out of shape, refuses to move into an all around type game, and can be a total space cadet out there likes he's on another planet. Would anyone in their right mind but their hopes on Taylor? The answer is obviously no.

So on grass, that only leaves Andy and the Bryans. Formidable to be sure. But what if any of those three men get injured? I hope they don't – I would never wish an injury on my most hated player let alone players like Andy and the Bryans (I'm not a fan of the Bryans – they make me insane with that silly collegiate chest bump, but again, would never wish an injury on them, and I love Andy so definitely would never wish an injury on him either).

But injuries happen. Sickness happens. People have off days.

If that were to happen, then all of a sudden, the field is level, and to be honest, if its Andy that gets injured or sick, then Fernando becomes the best grass player out there for the singles. The Bryans can't win it by themselves, and we all know Nico's heart for Davis Cup – he could definitely take his match against a James or Robby.

Plus, the grass they are going to play on will be different than Wimbledon grass. Just like hardcourt has slow, medium, and fast, and plays differently, ditto grass. It won't throw Andy off, but definitely could throw the Bryans off.

So let them choose grass. If no one gets injured or sick for the Americans, then yes, they will be on to the SFs. But if something happens and Andy or the Bryans aren't at their best, it’s a whole different ball game.

But that's just my humble opinion – and I could be wrong.