Mooo! The Americans May Be High On Grass But CHILE's GARRA Will Smoke Them Out! - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-12-2006, 08:30 PM   #1
country flag NicoFan

NicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mooo! The Americans May Be High On Grass But CHILE's GARRA Will Smoke Them Out!

Buene suerte to the boys in the quarterfinals!

Will be tough if the US picks grass, but I gotta have faith in my chicos.

Last edited by NicoFan : 02-17-2006 at 01:39 PM.
NicoFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2006, 08:54 PM   #2
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oh Say Can You See...Its CHILE vs. the USA in the QFs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoFan
Buene suerte to the boys in the quarterfinals!

Will be tough if the US picks grass, but I gotta have faith in my chicos.
Will you be going? Or is that a silly question?

Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more
*Ljubica* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 09:03 PM   #3
country flag kidnicky
Could it be any harder...

kidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond repute

Buena Suerte chicos!!!!! You can do this!!!

I'm really hoping that the US team think about that again and forget about grass, I'd hate that!!!

AC MILAN

Paolo Maldini
The second thing that gets better with age

kidnicky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:27 PM   #4
country flag Fergie
Miss Fabray

Fergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond reputeFergie has a reputation beyond repute

Vamos chicos, we know that isn't impossible!!!

Pain is only temporary but victory is forever
Fergie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 11:23 PM   #5
country flag NicoFan

NicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie
Will you be going? Or is that a silly question?
Well, depends on where it is. I live in NYC so if its in California, I probably can't go. Too long of a flight, and I'm already taking a week for Miami, and need to save time for the August tournaments. I'll be pissed if its in California too because every tournament seems to be in California lately.

But if its in the South or even Houston, its doable. So I'll be watching closely to see what they decide.

I'll bring my Chilean flag (signed by Nico) and try to root my boys on for the upset!
Old 02-12-2006, 11:53 PM   #6
country flag NicoFan

Five cities submitted bids to the USTA for the quarterfinal tie:

Scottsdale, Arizona (hard or grass)
Mission Hills, California (hard or grass)
Thousand Oaks, California (hard or grass)
Winston-Salem, North Carolina (indoor hard)
Delray Beach, Florida (outdoor hard)

NC and FL are probably out now because the US will most likely pick grass. Darn! AZ and CA - so far away. And who the heck even knows where Thousand Oaks or Mission Hills is!

I think that the USTA - even though its located in NY - forgets there there are other states that they can have tournaments in besides California - seems like they get most of the tournaments there.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:10 AM   #7
country flag kidnicky

kidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond repute

oh poor you NicoFan, I'd really like to have you there

Anyway I'm still pissed off with the US team for picking grass, who the hell likes to play in grass anyway??

Good luck to the boys!!!

p.s. Chilean flag signed for Nico??' that's something that you've to tell me about it

AC MILAN

Paolo Maldini

Old 02-13-2006, 04:50 AM   #8
country flag Sparko1030

Sparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond repute

From the DC website:

After McEnroe stated that his preference would be for either a grass court or a fast indoor hard court, he discussed the Chilean team of Fernando Gonzalez and Nicolas Massu.

“Obviously, they have a couple of great players,” McEnroe said of Chile. “I’m just really happy with how our guys looked here.

OK, I'm going to get a little snarky here since I really can't stand Pat Mac (as some of you know ) I know the tie probably won't take place on the the same type of surface but I can't help but remember the 2004 Olympics where the Chilean team beat several of the US team on their way to gold and bronze. Let's see....there was Roddick going down to Fernando, and Dent and Fish losing to Nico...I know I know...Dent or Fish won't be there for this (has poor Mardy just fallen off the edge of the earth or what?? )but still, its a nice memory and I hope Pat Mac is crapping his pants right now.

There-snarkiness out of my system(for now ). This of course will be very different. I love James and like Andy and Andre-the most likely singles competitors I think (the Bryans creep me out) but of course I will want the Chileans to win-and they can. Not saying it will be easy, but it is definatly possible!

And I dearly hope it will work out for you to go Nicofan!!!! That would be so great-you there with your Chilean flag signed by your Nico!!!

FERNANDO GONZALEZ

Best Wishes to: Marcos~Janko~Ivan~Marat~Lucho~Rafa~Tommy H
Gaston-best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

"Its hard to argue against cynics-they always sound smarter than optimists because they have so much evidence on their side." Molly Ivins, 1944-2007

Last edited by Sparko1030 : 02-13-2006 at 04:54 AM.
Sparko1030 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 07:12 AM   #9
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Lynn that the DC looks too difficult for you Sometimes it is hard for us Europeans to come to terms with the sheer vastness of the States - almost any tie anywhere in Europe is doable from here in a short(ish) flight. Hope you may be able to work something out. As for the grass - well Andy Roddick always does well at Wimbledon and also the Bryans - so I guess that is why they chose it!

Btw Lynn -we've heard about the storms in New York on the news - hope you're OK.

Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more

Last edited by *Ljubica* : 02-13-2006 at 11:59 AM.
*Ljubica* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 01:47 PM   #10
country flag NicoFan

Interview with Pat Mac in Latercera.cl:

Even before they left on the road to Slovakia and Rumania, the collision by the rooms of end between Chile was anticipated and United States. The condition of extensive favorite of both gave to think thus and none disappointed.

Despite that the Americans left in disadvantage after the loss of Andy Roddick in the hands of Andrei Pavel, the own number three of the world sentenced yesterday the confrontation al to surpass 6-3, 6-3 and 6-2 to Razvan Sabau, who replaced al injured Victor Hanescu. Then, James Blake would place the 4-1 final.

While it did its suitcases in the Sea Lodge Hotel, in La Jolla, the captain U.S., Patrick McEnroe, conversed with La Tercera about the series before Chile, between the 7 and 9 of April, in a place still by determining.

It is known that will carry the series before Chile to grass or fast court, żalready decided where will be played?

I don't know yet. Grass is one of the three alternatives with which we count (besides, hardcourt and indoor). We have to analyze what is what more agrees us. Inside this week we will define it.

It thought that the qualifying round was complicated him after the loss of Roddick?

A little, but after that we walked very well and we lost no set. James did a great work, al the same as the brothers Bryan. Now we are waiting for Chile, that has to two large players.

The ones that have registrations compared with the Americans. In fact, in Athens 2004 they left various on the road.

I'm not so worried about Athens, that was two years ago. We know that as much Massú as González play well representing to their country, like they have done it in the Davis Cup and in the Olympic Games. But I expect the best of my players.

Already it knows who will nominate for the match against Chile?

We have several options. First we will see what surface we occupy and later, to the players. There will be that to be attentive to what occur in Indian Wells and Key Biscayne. This time played very well Blake, but players as Robby Ginepri, Taylor Dent or Andre Agassi are strong alternatives.

But Agassi had said that did not want to play more Davis Cup.

We have spoken and wants to participate, thus is that is a matter of a player to keep in mind.

Roddick and Blake go for grass

After its victory on Sabau, Roddick referred to the confrontation with Chile and declared its preference by the pasture. "For me would be an advantage. The lawn is, probably, my better surface. James (Blake), perhaps prefers cement.. And for the double also it would be positive", said the 3ş of the ATP. Blake supported it: "of course. Andy and the Bryan want it, thus is that I believe that sense makes".
Old 02-13-2006, 01:58 PM   #11
country flag NicoFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparko1030
OK, I'm going to get a little snarky here since I really can't stand Pat Mac (as some of you know ) I know the tie probably won't take place on the the same type of surface but I can't help but remember the 2004 Olympics where the Chilean team beat several of the US team on their way to gold and bronze. Let's see....there was Roddick going down to Fernando, and Dent and Fish losing to Nico...I know I know...Dent or Fish won't be there for this (has poor Mardy just fallen off the edge of the earth or what?? )but still, its a nice memory and I hope Pat Mac is crapping his pants right now.

There-snarkiness out of my system(for now ). This of course will be very different. I love James and like Andy and Andre-the most likely singles competitors I think (the Bryans creep me out) but of course I will want the Chileans to win-and they can. Not saying it will be easy, but it is definatly possible!

So true. And to be honest its more Pat Mac than the players. Talk about coaching Mardy wrong for Nico. Mardy was just waiting for Nico to hand him the match because he was tired and cramping - could have told him that wouldn't happen.

Everyone keeps thinking this is a slam dunk for the Americans, but they're not taking into consideration the heart of our guys - they love playing for their country. I think both players have a chance to beat whoever is #2 (unless it ends up being Andre), and I wouldn't count them out against the Bryans also. It could end up being easy for the Americans - but I wouldn't put money on that.

Plus - I don't see the hunger out there for the American players except for Andy, Andre and James - all of whom I have tons of respect for and like very very much. But as much as the other guys are good guys, they don't have a lot of work ethic, and both Mardy and Taylor are never fit. And I'm not the only one saying this - the commentators talk about it all the time, and its been discussed on other boards.

The American players have been handed everything, and then you look at Fernando and Nico, who really had to work for everything. Fernando talking about how he practices on a futbol field for the grass season for example. And Nico saying how he never played on an indoor hard court until he joined the ATP circuit.

So I hope its close, and the boys can put in a respectable performance - win or lose.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:03 PM   #12
country flag NicoFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie
Sorry Lynn that the DC looks too difficult for you Sometimes it is hard for us Europeans to come to terms with the sheer vastness of the States - almost any tie anywhere in Europe is doable from here in a short(ish) flight. Hope you may be able to work something out. As for the grass - well Andy Roddick always does well at Wimbledon and also the Bryans - so I guess that is why they chose it!

Btw Lynn -we've heard about the storms in New York on the news - hope you're OK.

Unfortunately too big.

And when I went from London to Madrid, it was like a 3 hour flight - I was like this is just too cool.

Part of it is me though - I don't like long flights - I get too restless, and start to feel like I'm in the twilight zone.

Everything is fine - thanks for asking. The snow is so pretty, and yesterday it looked like a winter wonderland. The trains were a b*tch today, but what can you do.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:04 PM   #13
country flag NicoFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidnicky
p.s. Chilean flag signed for Nico??' that's something that you've to tell me about it
Got it right for the US Open right after the Olympics. I never can ask Nico for anything so a friend asked him to sign it for me.

Right now its wrapped in plastic to keep it safe, but if a miracle happens and I can go (doubtful right now though), I will take it out of safekeeping and let her fly!
Old 02-13-2006, 02:30 PM   #14
country flag kidnicky

I was just reading an article where the president of the chilean tennis federation was saying exactly the same, that the americans apparentely forgot that Nico and Feńa beated to their entire team at the Olympics an in a court that it's not their specialty.

Besides, like all of you said, I guess that nobody fights and plays for their country has the chilean team, I've seen pictures from the other teams in their different series and I've never seen the expressions of fight spirit and heart like our boys have it, so when they want to win something for their country, they do it fighting until insane levels, if Pat Mac doesn't know this he could ask to Mardy Fish and he'll explain everything to him

I know that I'll be proud of our boys no matter what the result will be

Glad to know that you're okay with the snow storms NicoFan, I knew that the girl that will compite instead of Michelle Kwan can't leave NY due to the storms.

p.s. I knew that it would have been to much that you asked to Nico for a signature in your flag

AC MILAN

Paolo Maldini

Old 02-13-2006, 02:39 PM   #15
country flag NicoFan

Nice article in latercera.cl about the boys accomplishments together:

The bicampeonato world of Düsseldorf, the Olympic medals in Athens, the return al World Group after 19 years and now the step to the quarterfinals of the greater series of Davis Cup, something that did not happen from 1982.. Speaking of the sports successes of Fernando González and Nicolas Massú already seems an old story. Because in a country that itself is not distinguished for its international achievements, the double golden one of the tennis has been management committee of several unforgettable pages of the history of the national sport.

The custom to win is something that the captain of Davis Cup, Hans Gildemeister, emphasizes of his directed. "Already we are usual to that Fernando and Nicolas surprise ourselves. Therefore, if we include them, Chile will always have the option to win", sentenced the "Bionic".

González emphasizes that the chemistry with Massú is vital so that together they reach so many marks for the country. "We show it in the World Cup, the Olympic Games and, now, in the Davis Cup. We are capable of many things, more when we play for Chile", sentence Gonzalez, who has gone alternating with the vińamarino different ups and downs in his career.

In this sense, the first racquet native emphasizes that there also is noted the union that exists among both. "Many times has touched me to arrive better to me or to Nicolas. It is one the one that takes charge of raising al another, when we are complicated", explains.

On the base of this mancomunión is that both tennis players feel qualified to add a new star for the tennis and the Chilean sport. "If we are together, in a good physical moment, żwhy cannot think about winning the Davis Cup?", comments Massú.

Odious comparisons

The explanations by what obtain achievements defending the national colors already is repeated story in the conferences of Massú and González. But al moment to be compared with other important tennis players, both have a position still more coincidente.

"More than comparing what we have done with other tennis players, I believe that what is important is to add. Adding what we have done to other, like the Luis Ayala, Patricio Cornejo, Hans Gildemeister or Chino Rios.. All we have contributed so that this sport be large in our country", comments Massu.

Its companion adds, in turn, that "the tennis will always be an individual sport. In Cup Davis also, because each one defends its point, but with Nicolas we have learned to be a team. And that is what carries us to deliver us of another form when we play for Chile".

Something that both players have shown amply in its almost 10 years of professional career.