Guillermo Cañas!!! :D - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-05-2002, 04:20 AM   #1
country flag Dissident

Dissident has a reputation beyond reputeDissident has a reputation beyond reputeDissident has a reputation beyond reputeDissident has a reputation beyond reputeDissident has a reputation beyond reputeDissident has a reputation beyond reputeDissident has a reputation beyond reputeDissident has a reputation beyond reputeDissident has a reputation beyond reputeDissident has a reputation beyond reputeDissident has a reputation beyond repute
Default Guillermo Cañas!!! :D

Well, he is my favorite argentine and he just won a TMS event, so I guess he deserves a thread.
I wrote some lines during the final match of Toronto TMS, but my internet connection was freaked out during it, so I will post them now...
Its a good way to start his 'fan club' here.

TWENTY!
'97 ROLAND GARROS, '98 Stuttgart, '98 Mallorca, '99 MONTE CARLO, '99 ROMA, '00 Santiago, '00 HAMBURG, '00 ROLAND GARROS, '00 Indianapolis, '00 MASTERS CUP LISBOA, '01 Buenos Aires, '01 Acapulco, '01 MONTE CARLO, '01 ROLAND GARROS, '01 Stuttgart, '01 CINCINNATI, '02 Costa do Sauipe, '03 Auckland, '03 St. Petersburg, '04 Costa do Sauipe.
Dissident is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2002, 04:21 AM   #2
country flag Dissident

Dissident has a reputation beyond reputeDissident has a reputation beyond reputeDissident has a reputation beyond reputeDissident has a reputation beyond reputeDissident has a reputation beyond reputeDissident has a reputation beyond reputeDissident has a reputation beyond reputeDissident has a reputation beyond reputeDissident has a reputation beyond reputeDissident has a reputation beyond reputeDissident has a reputation beyond repute

SET ONE

Roddick serves
One double fault, and two aces for Andy. That, a big forehand crosscourt and a huge serve to Canas´ body and were enough to give him the game 1-0.

Canas serves 0-1
Roddick had problems with his return. Beautiful point when Andy hit a passing shot. Very well done. 1-1.

Roddick serves 1-1
Two more aces, and plenty of good serves. Easy game for Andy. 2-1.

Canas serves 1-2
Willy plays with the exact rate of patience and aggression. Deep shots, some hits on the rise... Great point at 30-15, Canas won with an overhead after a long rally. 2-2.

Roddick serves 2-2
Canas starts to feel the ball better on the returns. Andy still controls the game with his bazooka shots, though, but no aces this time... 3-2

Canas serves 2-3
Game to love for Canas. Awesome point on 40-0, where he was on the defense for the whole point untill he got the right ball for a winner with a crosscourt forehand. 3-3

Roddick serves 3-3
Bad call on Canas volley... Willy should have done better in this game. Andy takes it. 4-3

Canas serves 3-4
Canas is getting something like 55% of first serves in, but his second serves are almost as good as the 1st ones. Andy played very well, including two forehand winners, but the argentine is very dominant on serve. 4-4

Roddick serves 4-4
Canas is going slow for the return position, getting Andy to get nervous. Three unforced errors from the american (one double fault), and two great returns from the argentine, get him to break serve on his second opportunity. Andy had two aces, one of them on a second serve, but it wasnt enough. Willy definitely got the timing on his return. 4-5

Canas serves for set 5-4
Guillermo stepped up on the decisive moment. Three winners and a big serve to force Andy´s return into the net got him the first set. Perfect game for Canas.
Game and first set Guillermo Canas 6-4

TWENTY!
'97 ROLAND GARROS, '98 Stuttgart, '98 Mallorca, '99 MONTE CARLO, '99 ROMA, '00 Santiago, '00 HAMBURG, '00 ROLAND GARROS, '00 Indianapolis, '00 MASTERS CUP LISBOA, '01 Buenos Aires, '01 Acapulco, '01 MONTE CARLO, '01 ROLAND GARROS, '01 Stuttgart, '01 CINCINNATI, '02 Costa do Sauipe, '03 Auckland, '03 St. Petersburg, '04 Costa do Sauipe.
Old 08-05-2002, 04:21 AM   #3
country flag Dissident

First set stats (Roddick vs Canas)
1st serves in – 63% vs 58%
Aces – 6 vs 3
Double faults – 2 vs 0
Winners – 13 vs 9
Unforced errors – 12 vs 1
Break points won – 0/0 vs 1/2

Just look at the line in bold and it should explain the first set. Canas is almost at perfection level. And whats most incredible is that this is what he´s doing since the start of the tournament. Awesome!

TWENTY!
Old 08-05-2002, 04:23 AM   #4
country flag Dissident

SET TWO

Roddick serves
Canas takes the time between points again, causing Roddick to get nervous again. Many second serves, two double faults and an unforced error with his forehand proves Roddick´s mental problems. He gets broken, and then complains to the chair umpire that Canas is taking too long to take his place for the returns. 0-1

Canas serves 1-0
Andy vents his frustration the right way: rising his level of play. Roddick did everything right, hitting the crap out of the ball, approaching the net and forcing the returns. He went for it, and broke back to even it 1-1 on his first opportunity in the whole match (Canas hit a double fault). 1-1

Roddick serves 1-1
Andy keeps his A game working, trying some big serves, and serve-volley tactics. Easy game to love. Canas barely could see the ball. 2-1

Canas serves 1-2
Guillermo was clearly ‘breakable’ here again. Roddick couldnt take advantage of it, though, he didnt play smart enough. Many unforced errors, and shaky play. Canas kept the ball in and it was enough to get this game. 2-2

Roddick serves 2-2
Andy serving well again, but he keeps on hitting some crap unforced errors. Two aces give him the game, though. 3-2

Canas serves 2-3
Great point at 15-15. Canas approaches the net and hits a dropvolley, perfect. Andy then a great forehand down the line winner on 15-30. The next point was also cool because Andy almost fell over the net... Tough game, but Canas gets it playing very well at the net. 3-3

Roddick serves 3-3
The very first point was an unbelievable return for winner by Canas. Absolutely magic stuff! Andy also hit a double fault, but after that it was all about his bazooka once again. 4-3

Canas serves 3-4
Willy still working very well with his serves (with the 1st for two aces, and with the 2nd forcing Andy to make two bad returns). Game to love. 4-4

Roddick serves 4-4
Andy also very good with his serve, two aces as well, one with the second serve. Another game to love. 5-4

Canas serves 4-5
Andy had a slight chance with a 40-30, but Canas still serving well (one ace). Roddick with too many unforced errors, especially on big moments. 5-5

Roddick serves 5-5
Canas starts the game with a return winner again. A passing shot (wow! ), and another u.e. from Roddick gave him the breakpoint. He converted it with a ridiculous volley attempt from Roddick, the ball hit the base of the net. 5-6

Canas serves for the championship 6-5
Starts with an ace. I thought he would feel tight! WELL DONE! Another ace. Geesh, he´s serving for a Masters Series title, it would be only his third trophy! Yet another ace!!!!! A new iceberg is born. No ace this time. He had to play one beautiful point to win it after Roddick tried a passing shot and went wide.

GREAT JOB WILLY!!!!!!!!!!!! AWESOME TOURNAMENT!!!!!! CONGRATS GUMY ON HIS WONDERFUL JOB!!!!!!

TWENTY!
Old 08-05-2002, 04:25 AM   #5
country flag Dissident

Final stats (Roddick vs Canas)
Match time 1:16
1st Serves in – 67% vs 64%
Aces – 9 vs 9
Double faults – 5 vs 1
Winners – 24 vs 20
Unforced errors – 26 vs 6
Break points won – 1/1 vs 3/4

Interview after the match with Andy Roddick:
He congratulates “Willy Canas, noone shows more heart on the court than him, and he had a wonderful week, so congratulations to him”. He thanks the family, coach and friends, and then the usual talk about the sponsors, ballboys and stuff.

Interview after the match with Guillermo Canas!
He kisses the trophy, its the most important moment in his carreer so far. He puts on the hat (you know which one it is... ). He thanks the sponsors etc, then praises Andy for his good week. Then, he makes a special mention to the argentine crowd. He thanks his physical coach, Hernan Gumy (coach) and his girlfriend that was there too. She was clearly surprised for the mentioning of her. He thanks Bill Norris then, and congratulates him on his birthday to be tomorrow.
After that, its about raising the trophy, smiling a lot, taking pictures and stuff.

TWENTY!
Old 08-05-2002, 04:25 AM   #6
country flag Dissident

Why did Canas win?
He was very calm, relaxed and focused, considering this was his first TMS final and the most important moment of his whole carreer. He variated his shots a lot, because he knew he wouldnt outpower Andy, and his serve was just outstanding, like in the rest of the tournament. His net play was also a lot better than it used to be, so I guess I should praise Hernan. It looks like they´ve been working on that. Also, his fighting spirit and the never-say-die behavior will carry him to victories many times. He is a lion! Also, he was so consistent that sometimes it seems like he would never make a mistake. Six unforced errors in a match is just out of this world. Six u.e. in a final is even more incredible. And what about six u.e. in a final of a TMS, considering he had never been to one before??? Unbelievable. He is getting used to win, and thats just dangerous for everyone else. Congratulations and keep that awesome tennis coming, Willy!

Why didnt Roddick win?
His serve was smashin’ for most of the match. But the most gets crashed exactly when it cant get. Andy showed he´s clearly not ready for the big deal yet. I can make all those jokes about him and stuff, and I may not like him as a player, but we have to praise him for the way he deals with the pressure put over him. He fought and he tried to not get nervous with Guillermo´s delayed play, when he would take hours to get ready to return each serve, but in the end he couldnt handle the nerves any more. Too many unforced errors. And he should have approached the net at least twice as many times he did. Anyway, he had a good week as well, and we cant take that away from him.

TWENTY!
Old 08-05-2002, 06:33 PM   #7
country flag Daniel

Daniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Gille

~~~Roger Federer (16 GS): Wimbledon 2003, AO 2004, Wimbledon 2004, US Open 2004, Wimbledon 2005, US Open 2005, AO 2006, Wimbledon 2006, US Open 2006, AO 2007, Wimbledon 2007, US Open 2007, US Open 2008, Roland Garros 2009, Wimbledon 2009, AO 2010 ~~~

Daniel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 02:33 AM   #8
Lucas Arg

Lucas Arg has a reputation beyond reputeLucas Arg has a reputation beyond reputeLucas Arg has a reputation beyond reputeLucas Arg has a reputation beyond reputeLucas Arg has a reputation beyond reputeLucas Arg has a reputation beyond reputeLucas Arg has a reputation beyond reputeLucas Arg has a reputation beyond reputeLucas Arg has a reputation beyond reputeLucas Arg has a reputation beyond reputeLucas Arg has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks hitman for the report. I loved this match. I saw it on Sunday and today .

Guillermo Canas is really reaching her best tennis ever, I really hope he can keep this level for a while. He is just amazing.

Congrats Canas

DAVID NALBANDIAN - GUILLERMO CAÑAS
JUAN IGNACIO CHELA - GUILLERMO CORIA
GASTON GAUDIO - JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO
JOSE ACASUSO - AGUSTIN CALLERI
MARIANO ZABALETA - MARTIN GARCIA
DIEGO HARTFIELD - JUAN MONACO
JUAN PABLO GUZMAN - CARLOS BERLOCQ
SERGIO ROITMAN - MARTIN VASALLO ARGUELLO
Lucas Arg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 04:31 PM   #9
tennischick

tennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond repute

PLAYERS Aug. 05, 2002

One to Watch: Guilllermo Canas

The Argentine has just won his first Tennis Masters Series shield and is on top of his game.

After winning his first Tennis Masters Series shield in Toronto, the last thing Guillermo Canas probably needed was a first round draw in Cincinnati against three-time winner Pete Sampras. But following his victories over four of the Top 10 en route to the biggest title of his career in Canada, it won't be a surprise to see the 24-year-old from Buenos Aires add another name to his list of famous scalps.

Roger Federer, Yevgeny Kafelnikov, Marat Safin, Tommy Haas and Andy Roddick all fell victim to Canas in Toronto, whose rise comes at a time when Argentine tennis has become a major force to be reckoned with.

"We've got a great history in tennis," says Canas. "We haven't had a World No. 1 but we've always had many good players. It's a very good time for tennis in my country, and we're all friends with each other. David Nalbandian and Agustin Calleri are a little younger, but we have seen them coming up through the juniors, and Argentina should have more players in the Top 100 in the next few years."

Canas, nicknamed "Willy" by his English-speaking peers, nearly gave up the game after suffering a career-threatening wrist injury in 2000. But after finishing that year at No. 227, Canas won his first career title in Casablanca in 2001, reached three other finals and finished the year at No. 15 in the ATP Champions Race.

His rapid rise earned him the ATP's Comeback of the Year award, and Canas has backed his results up in 2002 with a title in Chennai, two final appearances in Casablanca and Stuttgart, and a quarterfinal run at Roland Garros.

Standing in 7th position in the ATP Champions Race 2002, Canas' 43 match wins is only one win behind Andy Roddick for the most wins on the ATP circuit this year, and his never-say-die reputation is gathering momentum.

"I try to fight for each ball," says Canas. "It's the same every day - I'm trying to run for every single ball. It gives me a lot confidence when I'm playing like this."

Push

Watching his friend Nalbandian reach the final at Wimbledon also gave him an extra boost heading into the North American hard court swing. "I think we've had very good results on clay courts but we've also had very good results on other courts, too," says Canas. "We've had Nalbandian in the final of the most famous grass court tournament, and I've won two hard court titles this year. We help push each other and it's nice to see one of your friends in a final of another tournament."

Like most Argentines, Canas grew up idolizing Guillermo Vilas - "I would love to be as famous as he is in our country," he says - as well as Ivan Lendl. "When I was young, I saw him play and I'd like to be compared to him because he was No. 1 in the world. I'll try to do my best!"

ANDY RODDICK: Motivation? No. I enjoy what I do. I enjoy what I do. You know, I've never been one to, you know, blow off practice or, you know, do anything like that.

You know, I'd be lying if I said I'm looking forward to practicing the next two days as opposed to playing here. That part is gonna suck...(2010 Aegon Championships)
tennischick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 11:27 AM   #10
Central

Central has a reputation beyond reputeCentral has a reputation beyond reputeCentral has a reputation beyond reputeCentral has a reputation beyond reputeCentral has a reputation beyond reputeCentral has a reputation beyond reputeCentral has a reputation beyond reputeCentral has a reputation beyond reputeCentral has a reputation beyond reputeCentral has a reputation beyond reputeCentral has a reputation beyond repute

I just didn't belive the commentator when he said it... but he has withdrawn. This one could have been His Grand Slam
Central is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 03:19 PM   #11
Tennis Fool

Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Guillermo Cañas!!! :D

Hey, Guillermo has been MIA this year and he's defending champion of the next Masters.

Anybody know what happened to him? Is he looking to defend?
Tennis Fool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 06:27 PM   #12
Tennis Fool

Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute

Bump. Anyone?
Tennis Fool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 02:52 AM   #13
country flag Catriel

Catriel has a reputation beyond reputeCatriel has a reputation beyond reputeCatriel has a reputation beyond reputeCatriel has a reputation beyond reputeCatriel has a reputation beyond reputeCatriel has a reputation beyond reputeCatriel has a reputation beyond reputeCatriel has a reputation beyond reputeCatriel has a reputation beyond reputeCatriel has a reputation beyond reputeCatriel has a reputation beyond repute

I was in the Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club today (ATP Buenos Aires starts tomorrow) and I took this picture to him
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Imagen 001.jpg (108.8 KB, 70 views)

Akhenaton rules - Horemherb sucks

Talk Tennis MessageBoard
Catriel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 01:51 PM   #14
country flag jazz_girl

jazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond reputejazz_girl has a reputation beyond repute

Many congratulations on winning two tournaments in a row! you sooo deserve it!!!
Vamos Willy!
jazz_girl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:50 AM   #15
country flag Ponytail

Ponytail has a reputation beyond reputePonytail has a reputation beyond reputePonytail has a reputation beyond reputePonytail has a reputation beyond reputePonytail has a reputation beyond reputePonytail has a reputation beyond reputePonytail has a reputation beyond reputePonytail has a reputation beyond reputePonytail has a reputation beyond reputePonytail has a reputation beyond reputePonytail has a reputation beyond repute

That's awesome, Willy !!!!

I wonder why he didn't participate in TMS Toronto. ??
Ponytail is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote