Thursday scores - Page 17 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-14-2003, 06:21 PM   #241
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thursday scores

I didn't say Mattress Mac was acting correctly. There's an article about it in the Houston paper this morning and he apologized and said he will try to work on it. The guy is a furniture salesman who grew to love tennis. He just has to be informed of the traditions of tennis and I think the story there is over.

As far as Andy throwing his racket, that's what he does when he's mad AT HIMSELF. It's not like he throws a racket when he gets a bad call or whatever (at least not that I've seen). One of your faves, Rosie, Coria tends to be pretty darn whiny so I guess I don't understand how you can ignore that and deride Andy so much. Plus, Agassi broke a racket on his foot the other night and no one called him a whiny baby. Ferrero threw his racket in the air several times during the Nalbandian match, no one called him a "petulant brat" - why the double standards with Andy just because people don't like him? It's not like he's the first person to throw his racket. If he's mad at himself and that's what he does when he's mad at himself, who the hell cares?

Last edited by Deboogle!. : 11-14-2003 at 06:24 PM.
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2003, 11:16 PM   #242
country flag Tricky_Forehand

Tricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re: Re: Thursday scores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie
Guess I'm lucky tht I don't have to put up with your commentators, as I only seem to hear bad things about them. The British commentators are usually OK - sometimes they go a bit "over the top" about Tim Henman, but that is all. Most of them are great admirers of David because of his achievements at Wimbledon, and they were definately on his side over the promoter incident. I was thinking about writing a letter/email of complaint to the ATP or something similar but I doubt it would do any good, - might make me feel better though
I have some matches that I purchased from over seas and I can say that I definitely wish the idiots (sorry, "experts") here would take a hint from commentators over there.

I say to go ahead and write the letter or email if it will make you feel better. I have been posting everywhere to get out my frustration
's-Hertogenbosch - 4th place
GSTAAD - WINNER
Tricky_Forehand is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 11:28 PM   #243
sparkyfenton

sparkyfenton has a reputation beyond reputesparkyfenton has a reputation beyond reputesparkyfenton has a reputation beyond reputesparkyfenton has a reputation beyond reputesparkyfenton has a reputation beyond reputesparkyfenton has a reputation beyond reputesparkyfenton has a reputation beyond reputesparkyfenton has a reputation beyond reputesparkyfenton has a reputation beyond reputesparkyfenton has a reputation beyond reputesparkyfenton has a reputation beyond repute

i dont think roddick i sbad behaved, hes emotional and got the perosnality he was born with its just peopel today are never satisfied, you had to be a robot and factory produced and even then tons of people wont be happy.

so fkn what if someone argues a call or throws a racket, if someone is sad enough to be offended they need ot get out more and if they got time to actully write a letter to atp then that is soooooo sad and they must have so much time and boredom on their hands get a life ffs !!!

anyone offended by racket throwing or disagreements or swearing should stay away from tennis and get into a peacefull non physical sport like chess
sparkyfenton is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 11:31 PM   #244

Tricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re: Thursday scores

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunk18bsb
He just has to be informed of the traditions of tennis and I think the story there is over.

As far as Andy throwing his racket, that's what he does when he's mad AT HIMSELF. It's not like he throws a racket when he gets a bad call or whatever (at least not that I've seen). One of your faves, Rosie, Coria tends to be pretty darn whiny so I guess I don't understand how you can ignore that and deride Andy so much. Plus, Agassi broke a racket on his foot the other night and no one called him a whiny baby. Ferrero threw his racket in the air several times during the Nalbandian match, no one called him a "petulant brat" - why the double standards with Andy just because people don't like him? It's not like he's the first person to throw his racket. If he's mad at himself and that's what he does when he's mad at himself, who the hell cares?
As far as "Mattress Mac" goes hasn't he been hosting the US clay Court Championships for a while? Shouldn't he already be aware of the "traditions" of Tennis as a director/promoter?

You mentioned that you've never seen Roddick throw a racquet on a bad call. I've seen him in person in LA do that and on televised matches. Because he isn't a favorite I rarely tape any of his matches so I can't point out a specific match.

I had issues when Andre broke his racket because it reminded me of the young Agassi and also Roddick threw a temper tantrum where he apparently called the umpire a few names during his match against Carlos. Surprisingly (NOT!!) that little tantrum wasn't shown on TV or even mentioned by the commentators. And I think that's because they've been trying to pump him up as being so mature that to mention his tantrum would take that down a notch.

There is a double standard here in the States. It's ok for Andre and Andy to throw fits but if anyone else has a valid issue, David last night, he's seen as "throwing a hissy fit." David was right about everything that I heard him say. He was wrong about arguing that one line call on set point but on a real time replay on ESPN the ball looked "in" without the special technology on ESPN. The umpire shouldn't have over ruled that. I think that some people are just bothered by the fact that David is stepping up and saying something that others may not want to say. This poor guy probably really hates Americans at this point between what happened at the US OPEN and now in Houston. It was highly unlikely that he would play in LA before but now I really doubt it...lol.

At least David pulled it out though and continued to give the match everything he had even though he knew that "Mattress Mac" front row and center was 100% against him. I did like when he turned to him and said "Thank You" in the 3rd set. He must have actually got a clap for the ace down the middle. Hope it didn't hurt the guy too much

GO RAINER!! GO GUILLE!!
GSTAAD - WINNER
Old 11-14-2003, 11:33 PM   #245
sparkyfenton

sparkyfenton has a reputation beyond reputesparkyfenton has a reputation beyond reputesparkyfenton has a reputation beyond reputesparkyfenton has a reputation beyond reputesparkyfenton has a reputation beyond reputesparkyfenton has a reputation beyond reputesparkyfenton has a reputation beyond reputesparkyfenton has a reputation beyond reputesparkyfenton has a reputation beyond reputesparkyfenton has a reputation beyond reputesparkyfenton has a reputation beyond repute

IS this for real???? there are people out there offended by roddicks so called behaviour??? WAKE UP and get in the real world...this is high pressure sport and a lot of money at stake !!!

why should it be boring and polite and after you sir no after you old bean......just to please sad people who are easily offended and pick holes in everybody except themselves????
sparkyfenton is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 11:40 PM   #246

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Thursday scores

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine_dream
ROFL!!! The blatant hypocrisy of Europeans never ceases to amaze me!
I'm not European or "anti-American" (a word that people seem to love to throw around these days) but I do agree with Rosie and everything that she stated. I honestly don't care if a player throws a "fit" but what does bother me is when an American player throws a "fit" they have every right to but when a non-American throws a "fit"...well, they're wrong.

At least ESPN did give a little leniency to David for why he was so angry. He didn't have shot-spot down there so how was he supposed to know that he was wrong in arguing during the tiebreak? The whole tournament director issue. He was right on the mark. I know I'm falling on deaf ears but I just don't like seeing David get called a "whiny brat" while Roddick got away with his temper tantrum in his match against Moya .
GSTAAD - WINNER
Old 11-14-2003, 11:52 PM   #247
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thursday scores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis724
I'm not European or "anti-American" (a word that people seem to love to throw around these days) but I do agree with Rosie and everything that she stated. I honestly don't care if a player throws a "fit" but what does bother me is when an American player throws a "fit" they have every right to but when a non-American throws a "fit"...well, they're wrong.
HAHAHA So one double standard is OK but the other isn't? Sorry that doesn't work for me. My opinion is that any player who is fighting for something he or she believes in is justified - even if they turn out to be wrong (because as mentioned, they don't know that down on the court). On THIS board, what you've described is almost exactly the opposite. Andy throws his racket in disgust (at HIMSELF I might add) and he's called a "petulant brat" among other things, but David throws a fit and he's praised. They BOTH had every right to do what they did, in my opinion. Saying one did and one did not is ridiculous, whichever direction the argument goes in.

And no one called Nalbandian a whiny brat.
Old 11-15-2003, 12:20 AM   #248
country flag vaiva

vaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond reputevaiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thursday scores

Quote:
And no one called Nalbandian a whiny brat.
Obviously, you haven't been around these boards long enought to claim that, have you?

For the record, Dave's cut significantly on his whinning lately
vaiva is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 12:33 AM   #249
country flag Deboogle!.

In this particular instance, no one called him a whiny brat, that I saw. What people said before I got here in October, I can't, wouldn't, and didn't comment on.
Old 11-15-2003, 03:54 AM   #250

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thursday scores

Quote:
HAHAHA So one double standard is OK but the other isn't? Sorry that doesn't work for me. My opinion is that any player who is fighting for something he or she believes in is justified - even if they turn out to be wrong (because as mentioned, they don't know that down on the court). On THIS board, what you've described is almost exactly the opposite. Andy throws his racket in disgust (at HIMSELF I might add) and he's called a "petulant brat" among other things, but David throws a fit and he's praised. They BOTH had every right to do what they did, in my opinion. Saying one did and one did not is ridiculous, whichever direction the argument goes in.
I have a feeling that you took my sarcasm literally. I guess I should've put it in quotes. I'm talking about the media saying that it's ok for an American to throw a "fit" for whatever reason but gosh forbid if a "non-American" does. If their not going to get on the American player for a "fit" for whatever reason then the same rules should apply to a foreign opponent. Sadly, at least on the matches I've seen, that doesn't seem to be the case. Roddick and Agassi never seem to do wrong.
GSTAAD - WINNER