Tennis Tipping Suggestions/Questions Thread - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-24-2006, 06:58 PM   #46
country flag keqtqiadv
2013 WS CHAMPS

keqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tennis Tipping Suggestions/Questions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavnich77
I don't think it lowers the prestige of GSs and TMS as you earn bigger points for playing in them so that's the incentive to play in them - it would just mean that the penalty for missing them isn't too great as you have an opportunity to use one of your other scores.
If we follow ATP system, a first round loss in Indian Wells can't be replaced. This is the prestige I mean, you wouldn't get rid of TMS and GSs results. That's what occurs in ATP, but I don't know if it suits well in TT.
keqtqiadv is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2006, 08:38 PM   #47
country flag DeccyB123

DeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond repute

I was going by the mandatory GS, TMS and then the best 5 others method. Read this page- http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/...ntrypoints.asp

DeccyB123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:39 PM   #48
country flag DeccyB123

DeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond repute

My Method:

Quote:
The INDESIT ATP Entry Ranking is based on calculating, for each player, his total points from the four Grand Slams, the nine Tennis Masters Series Tournaments and the Tennis Masters Cup of the Entry Ranking period, and his best five results from all eligible Tournaments in the Entry Ranking period. For every Grand Slam or Tennis Masters Series Tournament for which a player is not in the Main Draw, and was not (and, in the case of a Grand Slam, would not have been, had he and all other players entered) a Main Draw Direct Acceptance on the original Acceptance List, and never became a Main Draw Direct Acceptance, the number of his results from all other eligible Tournaments in the Entry Ranking period, that count for his ranking, is increased by one.Once a player is accepted in the Main Draw of one of these thirteen Tournaments, as a Direct Acceptance, a Qualifier, a Special Exempt or a Lucky Loser, or having accepted a Wild Card, his result in this Tournament shall count for his ranking, whether or not he participates.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:28 PM   #49
country flag invu2day

invu2day has a reputation beyond reputeinvu2day has a reputation beyond reputeinvu2day has a reputation beyond reputeinvu2day has a reputation beyond reputeinvu2day has a reputation beyond reputeinvu2day has a reputation beyond reputeinvu2day has a reputation beyond reputeinvu2day has a reputation beyond reputeinvu2day has a reputation beyond reputeinvu2day has a reputation beyond reputeinvu2day has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeccyB123
I was going by the mandatory GS, TMS and then the best 5 others method. Read this page- http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/...ntrypoints.asp

I'm happy with that. The closer we clone it to the ATP the more realistic this game will feel.
invu2day is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 11:32 PM   #50
country flag Labamba

Labamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I think the nature of this game would suite better to the best 18 system (no mandatory tournaments), but I see your point too. We really should ask everybody for their opinion in a poll.
Labamba is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:52 AM   #51
country flag Peta Pan
Same as it ever was

Peta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering about the Lucky Loser situation. I agree with them being used in later rounds to stop having constant walkovers, but how is the lucky loser decided?

I thought it would be by either highest scoring loser of the round, or highest ranked loser of the round. In Dubai though it seems it was given to the player that lost previous round to the player that didn't send them in for the current round.

I just want to know which way it is working so it is clear
Peta Pan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 07:04 AM   #52
country flag Peta Pan
Same as it ever was

Peta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond repute

??
Old 03-03-2006, 07:28 AM   #53
country flag DeccyB123

It goes on high scoring loser, yes. I dont know what happened in Dubai. Labamba, could you explain please...
Old 03-03-2006, 01:44 PM   #54
country flag Labamba

Labamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It goes on high scoring loser, yes. I dont know what happened in Dubai. Labamba, could you explain please...
There's no written rule about this anywhere, that's the problem. Sometimes lucky losers are being used in the later rounds of the tournaments, sometimes not. And this creates a lot of confusion. Plus, I think it's bad decision to choose the high scoring loser of the round as the lucky loser, atleast from the managers point of view. Imagine a situation, where there are for example 3 or 4 players that share the position of high scoring loser. What do you do as a manager in that situation? Do you check all of their tiebreak scores and what if none of them got any points from it? Can you see my point here? It's much less complicated to give the lucky loser spot to the player who lost to the player who didn't send his picks. I made a decision as manager in TT Dubai to let that person go through, when there wasn't a clear rule about this.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:03 PM   #55
country flag Labamba

I think we should make some decisions about a couple of questions that have been raised in the last few weeks. All the managers (and players can too) should voice their opinions about the following questions (please add more questions if you have any):

1. the lucky losers - when are they being used? And if they are, so then what's the best way to decide who gets chosen as one?

2. the order of ways to decide an even tie - tiebreak is the #1 decider, but what is the order of other measures? (countbacks, earlier tiebreakers, earlier countbacks, ranking)

3. ranking system - are we going to use the 'ATP System' with mandatory tournaments or the 'WTA System' best 18? tournaments are counted?

Let's start with these, ok?
Old 03-03-2006, 03:18 PM   #56
country flag Labamba

Ok, I will start with my opinions.

1. lucky losers should be used always when there's a player who totally forgets to send his/her picks. the player who lost in the previous round to that player should get the lucky loser spot. I think it's a much more easy way to solve these kind of situations.

2. my suggestion is that after the first tiebreak there should be a countback of the previous round and then another countback if it's still possible. if the tie is still even, any previous tiebreaks should be used and the ranking would be the last possible way of deciding the tie.

3. I'm in favour of the 'WTA System', because I don't like the idea of mandatory tournaments. We could have more than 18 tournaments counting towards your ranking, but it's a different question all together.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:29 PM   #57
country flag Peta Pan
Same as it ever was

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labamba
2. the order of ways to decide an even tie - tiebreak is the #1 decider, but what is the order of other measures? (countbacks, earlier tiebreakers, earlier countbacks, ranking)
I don't know how the tiebreaks are worked out so you can feel free to ignore this if it wouldn't work... but how would it go if there was a 2nd backup tiebreak match? One that is only used if a result can't be obtained by using the first one?
Old 03-04-2006, 12:40 AM   #58
country flag keqtqiadv
2013 WS CHAMPS

keqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond repute

In LL question, ranking can be used. But I like the idea of replacement with the player who lost to the missing one. I also agree with Labamba in tie decisions.
But I still prefer the ATP system for Ranking. In my opinion, at least Grand Slams results can't be replaced (I heard that this rule would be used in WTA rankings too. Is it right?). In TMS, it would be interesting, but I don't think it's necessay.
keqtqiadv is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 04:02 AM   #59
country flag DeccyB123

I prefer the ATP ranking system, because we are following the men's game, and therefore should use the same system. I agree with what Gavnich77 about the bigger tournaments losing some prestige too.

As for LL, i do like your method Labamba

For the TB, i think it should stay the way it is: tie-Break, then countback, then ranking.

I give you permission to start some polls Labamba if you want
Old 03-04-2006, 07:48 AM   #60
country flag Labamba

Ok, I will start a poll about the ranking system now because it's a question that is bound to divide opinions and everybody should have a say in it.

Maybe we can work out an understanding on a few of the other issues without having to start a poll about them...

Last edited by Labamba : 03-04-2006 at 09:09 AM.