Tennis Tipping Suggestions/Questions Thread - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-09-2006, 08:29 PM   #1
country flag DeccyB123

DeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tennis Tipping Suggestions/Questions Thread

OK, over the past 2 weeks i've gotten a lot of PM's with suggestions for Tennis Tipping. So from now on, if you have any suggestions or questions, post them here and we can discuss them as a group.
DeccyB123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2006, 06:30 PM   #2
country flag DeccyB123

DeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond reputeDeccyB123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tennis Tipping Suggestions/Questions Thread

Soon we'll be coming to a time when only 2 tournaments are played a week. Because we are filling almost 3 tournaments, I think we need to figure out a way to keep at least 48 people playing every week. Any suggestions?

Im think maybe making two MTF tournaments for the same tournament, the more popular one of that week.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:53 PM   #3
country flag Sheva

Sheva has a reputation beyond reputeSheva has a reputation beyond reputeSheva has a reputation beyond reputeSheva has a reputation beyond reputeSheva has a reputation beyond reputeSheva has a reputation beyond reputeSheva has a reputation beyond reputeSheva has a reputation beyond reputeSheva has a reputation beyond reputeSheva has a reputation beyond reputeSheva has a reputation beyond repute

maybe one qualies round for the lower ranked players?
Sheva is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:14 PM   #4
country flag Labamba

Labamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeccyB123
Soon we'll be coming to a time when only 2 tournaments are played a week. Because we are filling almost 3 tournaments, I think we need to figure out a way to keep at least 48 people playing every week. Any suggestions?

Im think maybe making two MTF tournaments for the same tournament, the more popular one of that week.
I think the splitting of the first round is a better idea than making two MTF TT tournaments of the same ATP tournament (i feel it would take some of the glory away from the tournament winners).

So the first round for TT draw would have 32 players and the matches would be decided on the basis of the order of play (for example 1st round for TT would be the matches played on monday and the 2nd round tuesdays and wednesdays first round matches) or we could just cut the real ATP draw in half (top half = 1st round, bottom half = 2nd round or vice versa).
Labamba is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:21 PM   #5
country flag Labamba

Labamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheva
maybe one qualies round for the lower ranked players?
This is an option. The players that don't get directly into tournaments (based on their ranking) could have 2-4 places reserved for the winners of the qualifying tournament. We could do a tournament of the final round of real-life qualifying matches for these players. This would ensure that everybody has a chance to play and win tournaments without a good ranking.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Labamba : 02-14-2006 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:30 PM   #6
country flag DeccyB123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labamba
I think the splitting of the first round is a better idea than making two MTF TT tournaments of the same ATP tournament (i feel it would take some of the glory away from the tournament winners).

So the first round for TT draw would have 32 players and the matches would be decided on the basis of the order of play (for example 1st round for TT would be the matches played on monday and the 2nd round tuesdays and wednesdays first round matches) or we could just cut the real ATP draw in half (top half = 1st round, bottom half = 2nd round or vice versa).
Yeah, I agree with this one. Day 1 can be round 1 and day 2 can be round 2! In the weeks with only 2 tournaments, the more popular one can be a 32 size draw (and if it gets more popular both could!)
Old 02-14-2006, 10:47 PM   #7
country flag greatkingrat

greatkingrat has a reputation beyond reputegreatkingrat has a reputation beyond reputegreatkingrat has a reputation beyond reputegreatkingrat has a reputation beyond reputegreatkingrat has a reputation beyond reputegreatkingrat has a reputation beyond reputegreatkingrat has a reputation beyond reputegreatkingrat has a reputation beyond reputegreatkingrat has a reputation beyond reputegreatkingrat has a reputation beyond reputegreatkingrat has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with splitting the 1st round is two is that often the matches are split unevenly eg in Marseille this week there were only two matches on Monday.

One idea is to have three-way matches in the 1st round. This would allow 24 people to play instead of 16.

Another idea is to have two versions of each tournament, a "Main Tour" event for the higher ranked players and a "Challenger" event for the lower ranked players. You could give half the points of the main event to the challenger event. If players do well in these, their ranking will rise and they can enter the main events.
greatkingrat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 07:41 AM   #8
country flag Labamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatkingrat
The problem with splitting the 1st round is two is that often the matches are split unevenly eg in Marseille this week there were only two matches on Monday.
In tournaments like Marseille where the matches are split unevenly, you could split the first round in a different way (for example 1st round = monday + tuesday, 2nd round = wednesday). These decisions of how to split the round would be made in each case separately and discussed among other managers.

Quote:
One idea is to have three-way matches in the 1st round. This would allow 24 people to play instead of 16.
This is a possibility too, but I'm afraid imo it would change the nature of the game maybe too much. It would be really hard to get to the next round with three tough players in the same match.

Quote:
Another idea is to have two versions of each tournament, a "Main Tour" event for the higher ranked players and a "Challenger" event for the lower ranked players. You could give half the points of the main event to the challenger event. If players do well in these, their ranking will rise and they can enter the main events.
The question here is that, would there be enough interest from the players to play these challengers? And would it create too much confusion and work?

These are all good ideas, but which road are we going to take? We still have a couple of months time to think and make a decision...
Old 02-15-2006, 07:48 AM   #9
country flag DeccyB123

Yeah, I still like the split round thing (we could include quallies matches on day 1)

I thought about challengers, but I think the players are not well enough known to people on MTF.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:09 PM   #10
country flag Labamba

TT managers seem to have different views on when to start the doubles tournament. In San Jose tournament the doubles started from the first round matches, but not in Marseille. I think it's better to start the doubles tournament from the first round matches, because then there is more matches to pick in the latter rounds. Here's an example how a small tournament (32-size draw) could work:

1st round for TT doubles (8 teams) would be played on the 1st round matches of the real tournament (16 matches)
doubles SF would be played on the 2nd round matches (8 matches)
doubles Final would consist of the real QF's, SF's and the Final (7 matches)

Any comments?
Old 02-15-2006, 07:24 PM   #11
country flag DeccyB123

Because the scores are combined, i figured start it later in the week. That way if you lose first round in singles, you're still playing the game.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:35 PM   #12
country flag Labamba

Quote:
Because the scores are combined, i figured start it later in the week. That way if you lose first round in singles, you're still playing the game.
That's another solid point of view on this matter, but I think we should make a decision on which of these systems we are going to use in the following tournaments. It's better to have only one system to avoid confusion among players imo.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:42 PM   #13
country flag Sheva

Sheva has a reputation beyond reputeSheva has a reputation beyond reputeSheva has a reputation beyond reputeSheva has a reputation beyond reputeSheva has a reputation beyond reputeSheva has a reputation beyond reputeSheva has a reputation beyond reputeSheva has a reputation beyond reputeSheva has a reputation beyond reputeSheva has a reputation beyond reputeSheva has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Deccy. When you have a really bad first round singles, it will most of the time also get you out of the doubles. You gotta waight until Monday again not sending in for TT. While if you play first round double on second round matches. You are sure you'll be involved in TT for at least 4 days....
Sheva is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 11:36 AM   #14
country flag DeccyB123

Oh and another thing, do you guys reckon players should be allowed to play singles and doubles at 2 different tournaments? Some players get knocked out of the singles on ranking, but are really keen for doubles. I am for it...
Old 02-16-2006, 02:37 PM   #15
country flag Melvins

Melvins has a reputation beyond reputeMelvins has a reputation beyond reputeMelvins has a reputation beyond reputeMelvins has a reputation beyond reputeMelvins has a reputation beyond reputeMelvins has a reputation beyond reputeMelvins has a reputation beyond reputeMelvins has a reputation beyond reputeMelvins has a reputation beyond reputeMelvins has a reputation beyond reputeMelvins has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Oh and another thing, do you guys reckon players should be allowed to play singles and doubles at 2 different tournaments? Some players get knocked out of the singles on ranking, but are really keen for doubles. I am for it...
I don't like it. I prefer play singles and doubles in the same tournament. I like the idea of the qualies or challengers.

FREDERICO GIL - RUI MACHADO - GASTÂO ELIAS - LEONARDO TAVARES
MICHELLE LARCHER DE BRITO - NEUZA SILVA - FREDERICA PIEDADE - MARIA JOĂO KOEHLER - MAGALI DE LATTRE

THE FUTURE
GASTĂO ELIAS
MICHELLE LARCHER DE BRITO
Melvins is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote