Articles, News ... - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-12-2008, 12:43 AM   #91
country flag Getta

Getta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Articles, News ...

Andreas, stop posting articles in Greek that no-one can read them but Greek native speakers.
You have to translate them.

Here we go.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...-10389,00.html

Marcos Baghdatis all smiles about Brisbane comeback

By Paul Malone
December 05, 2008 11:00pm

MARCOS Baghdatis is coming to Brisbane to get "the machine" humming once again and on the road back to the elite of world tennis.

The smile is the first thing most Australian tennis fans associate with Baghdatis, who is in Paris trying to reassemble the pieces of a career derailed by a back injury.

The 2006 Australian Open runner-up has tried to keep the wide, toothy grin on his face in the past few months as a disc problem sent his ranking tumbling to No. 98 - 82 places worse than when he played one of Melbourne Park's most famous matches last summer.

Baghdatis, 23, was told this week he would receive a wildcard to the Brisbane International, which runs from January 4-11 to open the Queensland Tennis Centre.

He said he tried not even to think of his last visit to Australia, in which a YouTube video of the Cypriot chanting a slogan with friends at a backyard party in Melbourne led to a Turkish community leader's call for him to be deported.

"It's been a tough year with three injuries and it was a positive thing to have them all in the same year - I'm looking forward to a new year," Baghdatis said from his training base in Paris.

"It's just the way I am, to smile, and how I learnt to play tennis. It's my personality - how I am in my life.

"I don't know if it's difficult or not, what I have to do now.

"It's the first time it has happened to me.

"Maybe I'll come back (to the top 20).

"Maybe not.

"I'm dying to play a match.

"The most important thing is to play some matches and get the machine working again - get a feel for the game because I played not so many matches."

The Brisbane wildcard was recognition of his status as a drawcard at Australian tournaments, no matter that he could attempt to play only four events since June, retiring from matches in three of those four.

Deprived of the seeding protection he has had at tournaments for the past two years, Baghdatis could be drawn at Tennyson in a first or second-round match against either of the event's top-10 drawcards, Australian Open champion Novak Djokovic or Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.

"I think I'm ready for anybody," he said.

"Sometimes all you need is to win one or two good matches and it can change the year.

"It's good to not think about forcing things.

"The thing is: I'm trying to come back, pushing myself to be positive."

Baghdatis said he was encouraged by how he felt in an off-season of change.

He has hired new fitness advisers and a new coach, Olivier Soules, and moved to another tennis academy in Paris.

"For the moment, I'm really positive," he said.

"I'm practising normally now, as I was before the problem.

"Brisbane will be my first tournament (since late October). I picked Brisbane because I wanted to go to Australia early this time."

Baghdatis said he been told good things about the Gold Coast and its women's tournament, which was merged by Tennis Australia with its Adelaide men's event to form the Brisbane International.

"I heard it's a nice centre in Brisbane," he said.

The last time Baghdatis played a match in Australia, he left in tears after a five-set Australian Open loss to Lleyton Hewitt, which was extraordinary in that it finished at 4.34am.

"It was a very painful memory - about everything that happened in Australia last year, mostly what happened off court," Baghdatis said.

"I don't want to talk about it.

"For me, it's like I didn't play in Australia last year."

Early in the Australian Open, media were alerted to the existence of a YouTube video in which he was seen chanting slogans at a party on a previous visit with Greek soccer supporters from Melbourne he knew.

"You grow up when things like that happen," Baghdatis said.

"Like I always say, I love Australia and the people there.

"That doesn't change and I'm happy to come back."

Tennis players thrive on just doing what they do every day.

Baghdatis, criticised strongly by some Australian media pundits, must have been the first player to issue a prepared statement at a Grand Slam, citing a United Nations position on a past conflict.

On the other burning issue from his last trip to Australia, Baghdatis believes Australian Open organisers need to act to prevent the number of post-1am finishes the event has had.

"After 9.30pm you have to think really hard about it (letting a match go on court)," he said.

"I can't tell you a time, but for sure, not at 11.30 at night."

Venus Williams refused to budge from court at the Australian Open's "Supersized Saturday", in which a day session ran late.

Williams threatened consequences for the tournament if they moved her match to another court to make way for Hewitt and Baghdatis.

The men started reluctantly at 11.49pm.

It's the clout which Baghdatis wouldn't mind having at his disposal at big tournaments again.

They scheduled him prominently after his dream run at the 2006 Australian Open in which he beat three top-10 players - Andy Roddick, Ivan Ljubicic and David Nalbandian - before shaking Roger Federer early in a four-set final.

That success helps to stoke a cheery belief in the crowd-pleasing Cypriot, no matter his ranking of No. 98, which surfaced when he was asked which player would be ranked No. 1 at the end of 2009.

"Me," he said without a laugh.

"If things go well for me, I can do it.

"Why not?"
Getta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2008, 01:09 AM   #92
country flag Getta

Getta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...3-3162,00.html

Tough year for Marcos Baghdatis

Paul Malone
December 11, 2008 12:00am

MARCOS Baghdatis is returning to Australia to jump start his stalled tennis career.

The 2006 Australian Open runner-up has been laid low by a back injury that has seen his world ranking tumble to No. 98 - 82 places higher than at Melbourne Park last summer.

Baghdatis, 23, this week received a wildcard into the Brisbane International from January 4-11.

"It's been a tough year with three injuries - I'm looking forward to a new year," Baghdatis said from Paris.

"It's just the way I am, to smile, and how I learnt to play tennis. It's my personality - how I am in my life.

"I don't know if it's difficult or not, what I have to do now. It's the first time it's happened to me. Maybe I'll come back (to the top 20). Maybe not.

"I'm dying to play a match. The most important thing is to play some matches and get the machine working again -- get a feel for the game because I played not so many matches."

Baghdatis has played only four events since June, retiring from matches in three of those.

Deprived of any seeding protection in Brisbane, he could be drawn to meet either of the event's top-10 drawcards, Australian Open champion Novak Djokovic or Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, in the opening rounds.

"I think I'm ready for anybody. Sometimes all you need is to win one or two good matches and it can change the year," Baghdatis said.

"It's good to not think about forcing things. The thing is I'm trying to come back, pushing myself to be positive.

"Brisbane will be my first tournament (since late October). I picked Brisbane because I wanted to go to Australia early this time."

The last time Baghdatis played in Australia, he left in tears after a five-set Australian Open loss to Lleyton Hewitt which was extraordinary in that it finished at 4.34am.

"It was a very painful memory," he said.

Baghdatis said Australian Open organisers needed to act to prevent the high number of post-1am finishes at the event.

"After 9.30pm you have to think really hard about it (letting a match go on court)," he said. "I can't tell you a time, but for sure, not at 11.30 at night."

The Hewitt-Baghdatis match began at 11.49pm after the day session ran late and Venus Williams refused to have her night match, which preceded the men's clash, shifted to another court.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:13 AM   #93
country flag Baghdatis#1

Baghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond repute

sorry. next time i will use a translator, or try to find the article in english. sorry but i am in a hurry because i have a big essay in english class due tomorrow.

Through the good and the bad, always my #1, no matter what the rankings say
Baghdatis#1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:17 AM   #94
country flag Getta

http://www.sports.fr/cmc/scanner/ten...le_206711.html

Hagelauer: "Baghdatis ? Irréprochable"

sports.fr
08/12/2008 - 14:48

Un peu moins de trois semaines après son arrivée au Team Lagardère, Marcos Baghdatis semble bien intégré au sein de la structure chère à Arnaud Lagardère. Patrice Hagelauer, responsable technique du Team, estime ainsi, sur le site officiel de la structure, que le Chypriote "possède un état d'esprit formidable, il est vraiment aimé de tous", avant d'ajouter "Marcos est irréprochable, il va beaucoup nous apporter !"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good to hear that after three weeks of training at TeamLagardere, Patrice Hagelauer (technical staff responsible for TL) said about Marcos:

"Marcos shows a fantastic spirit and became loved by everyone here. He's a player of impeccably good character and he will bring us a lot of class."
Old 12-12-2008, 04:00 AM   #95
Ivanatis

Ivanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellas719 View Post
sorry. next time i will use a translator, or try to find the article in english. sorry but i am in a hurry because i have a big essay in english class due tomorrow.
good luck then

thanks for the articles Getta
I really hope Marcos can show a huge comeback in 2009
Ivanatis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:24 PM   #96
Ivanatis

Ivanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond repute

Baggy made the semis in Favourite Player of the Year

go vote for him to push him to the final

http://www.menstennisforums.com/show....php?p=7915329
Ivanatis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:42 PM   #97
country flag Baghdatis#1

Baghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis#1 has a reputation beyond repute

i voted for him

Old 12-20-2008, 08:14 PM   #98
country flag Jelena_78

Jelena_78 has a reputation beyond reputeJelena_78 has a reputation beyond reputeJelena_78 has a reputation beyond reputeJelena_78 has a reputation beyond reputeJelena_78 has a reputation beyond reputeJelena_78 has a reputation beyond reputeJelena_78 has a reputation beyond reputeJelena_78 has a reputation beyond reputeJelena_78 has a reputation beyond reputeJelena_78 has a reputation beyond reputeJelena_78 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
i voted for him
Me too

Janko Tipsarević

Novak Đoković | Roger Federer | Marcos Baghdatis | Mikhail Youzhny | Andy Murray | Grigor Dimitrov | Juan Martin Del Potro

Jelena_78 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:56 PM   #99
country flag Getta

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...-10389,00.html

Marcos Baghdatis hunts return win at Rafter Arena

By Paul Malone
December 29, 2008 11:00pm

SUPER-fit Cypriot Marcos Baghdatis says he hopes to pull off a comeback title win at the Brisbane International at the new Queensland Tennis Centre.

Back pain has forced Baghdatis, the 2006 Australian Open runner-up, to retire from matches in his last three tournaments in which his ranking fell 82 places to No. 98.

But the crowd-pleasing player, who received the first wildcard into the Brisbane International which starts on Sunday, said at Tennyson yesterday his back was "perfect" after six weeks training in Paris.

Baghdatis looks trimmer than on his last visit to the Australian Open, which ended in a five-set loss to Lleyton Hewitt.

A one-hour practice seemed to indicate disc soreness in his back had not been aggravated by a long-haul flight from Paris.

Asked what would be a good tournament for him in Brisbane, Baghdatis said: "I hope to win it.

"The most important thing is to play some matches and get a feel for the game because I haven't played matches."

Baghdatis, deprived of seeding protection, could be drawn at Tennyson in the first or second round against either of the event's two top-10 male stars, Australian Open champion Novak Djokovic or Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.

"I think I'm ready for anybody. Sometimes all you need is to win one or two good matches and it can change the year," he said.

Baghdatis, 23, hired new fitness advisers and a new coach, Olivier Soules, and moved to another tennis academy in Paris.

"I need a lot of physical preparation and that's what I'm working on," he said.

"I picked Brisbane (to start the season) because I wanted to go to Australia early this time."

Another Paris-based player, Brisbane International seventh seed Richard Gasquet, has been coached for six months by Guillaume Peyre, who was let go by Baghdatis in mid-2007.

Gasquet, ranked No. 25, said he had done the right thing for his tennis by finishing up with Eric Deblicker, the coach who took him to the top 10.

"I had been working him for four years and it was time for a change," Gasquet said.

The new Pat Rafter Arena will not have Hawk-Eye technology in place for its maiden tournament next week or have a giant video screen, tournament director Steve Ayles has confirmed.

The 5500-seat stadium is wired for the line-calling system, but Ayles said the system's provider was not able to provide services for the tournament because it had a booking to operate at Sydney's Medibank International.

"We hope to have Hawk-Eye working at our second tournament," Ayles said.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:02 PM   #100
country flag Getta

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...001023,00.html

Baghdatis ready to take on all-comers

By Paul Malone
December 30, 2008 12:00am

Fit and ready to go...Marcos Baghdatis.

A SUPER-FIT Marcos Baghdatis says he has arrived in Brisbane with hopes of pulling off a stunning comeback title at the Queensland Tennis Centre.

Baghdatis, the 2006 Australian Open runner-up, had to retire with back pain from matches in his last three tournaments of a season in which his ranking fell 82 places to No. 98.

But the crowd-pleasing Cypriot, who received the first wildcard into the Brisbane International which starts on Sunday, said yesterday his back was "very good, perfect" after a six-week training period in Paris.

Baghdatis looks trimmer than on his last visit to the Australian Open which ended in a five-set loss to Lleyton Hewitt and a one-hour practice seemed to indicate disc soreness in his back had not been aggravated by a long flight from Paris.

Asked what would be a good tournament for him in Brisbane, Baghdatis said: "I hope to win it. The most important thing is to play some matches and get a feel for the game because I haven't played matches."

Baghdatis, deprived of the seeding protection, could be drawn in a first or second-round match against either of the event's two top-10 male stars, Australian Open champion Novak Djokovic or Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.

"I think I'm ready for anybody. Sometimes all you need is to win one or two good matches and it can change the year," he said.

Baghdatis, 23, hired new fitness advisers and a new coach, Olivier Soules, and moved to another tennis academy in Paris.

"I need a lot of physical preparation and that's what I'm working on," he said.

"I picked Brisbane (to start his season) because I wanted to go to Australia early this time."

Another Paris-based player, Brisbane Inter- national seventh seed Richard Gasquet, has been coached for six months by Guillaume Peyre, who was let go by Baghdatis in mid-2007.

Gasquet, ranked No. 25, said he had done the right thing for his tennis by terminating the services of Eric Deblicker, the coach who took him to the top 10.

"I had been working him for four years and it was time for a change," Gasquet said.

Meanwhile, the new Pat Rafter Arena will not have Hawk-Eye technology in place for its maiden tournament next week or have a giant video screen, tournament director Steve Ayles said.

The 5500-seat stadium is wired for the line-calling system, but Ayles said the system's provider would not provide services for the tournament because it has a booking to operate at Sydney's Medibank International, which starts on January 11.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:52 AM   #101
country flag Baghdatis#1

Thanks, Getta

What place is the picture in your signature?

Old 12-30-2008, 04:59 AM   #102
country flag Getta

Quote:
What place is the picture in your signature?
Orkney Islands.

Last edited by Getta : 12-30-2008 at 05:06 AM.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:25 AM   #103
country flag Getta

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/arti...rfaxdigitalxml

Marcos Baghdatis addresses the media after a training session on the all-new Rafter Arena centre court in Brisbane.
Photo: Scott Casey

Baghdatis banks on Brisbane for comeback

Scott Casey | December 30, 2008 - 3:49PM

The 2006 Australian Open runner-up Marcos Baghdatis has shaken off a back injury to resume his career at the inaugural Brisbane International starting Sunday.

The "Smiling Cypriot" has won a wildcard entry for the tournament, the first event to be staged at the new 5000-seat Rafter Arena.

Baghdatis, who arrived earlier this week from Paris, is acclimatising to the sweltering conditions far from his training ground of wintertime France.

"It's a bit warmer ... 30 degrees warmer," he said.

"But that's why I came early, to give myself one week in front of me to prepare. It's my second day here and I feel better than yesterday so we will see how it goes.

"I feel really happy being on the court again. I didn't spend much time on court last year so it's a pleasure coming back and feeling physically fit.

The 23-year-old has just finished six weeks of training to overcome the back injury which has cut his blossoming career short.

"I have no more pain - everything is perfect," he said.

"I worked on it a lot in the off season and last year when I had a lot of time off. I mainly worked on my back and I'm feeling much better."

The Pat Rafter Arena will be christened with the tournament and Baghdatis says the facilities are the equal of the courts in Melbourne where he will compete in the Australian Open in mid-January.

"I love playing here. The people are friendly they are not stressful and that's the pleasure of being here," he said.

Tournament director Steve Ayles said the venue was ready for the tournament, despite missing the usual large video screens above the court and the high tech line-calling "Hawk-Eye".

"We've got a brand new venue, a first class facility and Hawke-Eye is something we will look at in the future," he said.

Only one provider operates the Hawk-Eye system in Australia and it is currently working on Sydney's set up for the Medibank International tournament, starting January 9.

Mr Ayles said players at the Brisbane International would be well prepared for the Australian Open by the $80 million Brisbane stadium.

"The most important part is providing the same ball bounce, the same surface, the same environment climate - everything is the same for the players and we have provided that here." he said.

Baghdatis says that he will forego any New Year's Eve partying for a quiet night with his dad.

"Last night I went to sleep at 8.30 so no partying. Maybe my father will come over," he said.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:31 AM   #104
country flag Baghdatis#1

Marcos
Getta

Old 01-01-2009, 01:41 AM   #105
country flag Getta

Quote:
Marcos
Getta
Don't mention it.

http://news.smh.com.au/sport/baghdat...1230-77ap.html

Baghdatis eyeing top honours in Brisbane

December 30, 2008 - 5:17PM

Popular Cypriot Marcos Baghdatis is back from injury and is eyeing off top honours at the inaugural Brisbane International tennis tournament.

The world No.98, who was once ranked No.8, is not just determined to claw his way back to a top 20 spot after an injury-plagued year - his ultimate goal is to secure a top-five ranking.

"I feel happy being on court again ... I feel fitter than ever," Baghdatis told reporters on Tuesday.

"It was a bad year, and I want to forget about it and just try to come back and get to the top 20.

"My objective is to get to the top five once in my lifetime - so that's what I'll try to do."

The 23-year-old won the hearts of Australians after making it to the final of the 2006 Australian Open, before losing to champion Roger Federer in four sets.

He acknowledges the crowd support, which he credits to Greek and Cypriot patriotism and the Australian laid-back approach to life.

"All Australians are pretty cool, pretty nice, I love coming back every year," he said.

At 182cm and weighing 82kg, the right-hander is looking fit and healthy, but aside from the other players, the hot Australian summer could prove to be stiff competition.

The Cypriot had to stop and rest a few times during his warm up inside Rafter Arena at the new Queensland Tennis centre.

"It's a bit more warmer (than home) ... that's why I came early to have one week in front of me to prepare," he said.

"It's my second day here, so I feel a bit better than yesterday, so I'll see how it goes.

"I'm pretty happy I'm here, so I'll try to win some matches, and why not to win the tournament, that's my goal."

Although he's in Australia for the festive season, Baghdatis' determination to win and regain his place at the top of the rankings, means he won't be partying this New Year's Eve.

Instead opting to visit his dad and grandmother in Sydney.

After the Brisbane International, which starts on January 4, Baghdatis will play at Kooyong before the Australian Open.

The men's draw boasts Novak Djokovic, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Marcos Baghdatis, Gael Monfils, Richard Gasquet and Mardy Fish while the women's draw features Ana Ivanovic, Daniela Hantuchova and Australia's own Sam Stosur and Jarmila Gajdosova.