Articles, News ... - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-05-2006, 10:06 PM   #46
country flag kindablue

kindablue has a reputation beyond reputekindablue has a reputation beyond reputekindablue has a reputation beyond reputekindablue has a reputation beyond reputekindablue has a reputation beyond reputekindablue has a reputation beyond reputekindablue has a reputation beyond reputekindablue has a reputation beyond reputekindablue has a reputation beyond reputekindablue has a reputation beyond reputekindablue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Articles, News ...

Here is the first of a few articles i found on the wimby side.
Interesting read:
Articles
Mama's Boy Baghdatis on a Roll

Wednesday, 5 July, 2006

It is hard to imagine anyone unsettling the mighty Roger Federer at the Championships but you never can tell.

For some, winning Wimbledon comes as the result of sublime talent (Roger Federer), others devote their every waking moment to the pursuit of excellence (Pete Sampras) while a few just believe that, for two weeks only, their name is written in the stars (Goran Ivanisevic). And then there is Marcos Baghdatis.

Baghdatis – or Baggy to his friends – is, to his own amazement, through to the semi-finals here for the first time in his career after beating Lleyton Hewitt 6-1, 5-7, 7-6 (7-5), 6-2.

Normally, Baghdatis leaves his parents at home when he plays. His mother, Andry, gets too nervous when she watches number one son but she has broken with family tradition and travelled to London to watch the fun.

It has not been easy viewing at times but when the going gets tough, Mrs B starts praying. Most players rely on their coach for a little extra support when they face a break point – Baghdatis, through his mum, enlists the help of the Almighty. No wonder, then, that he is doing so well.

Just to reinforce the theory that Baggy's progress is predestined by the fates, his parents live in a little village just outside Limassol called Paramitha. Roughly translated from the Greek, it means fairytale and, for the moment at least, the fairytale is coming true.

Baghdatis is a lovely chap. Smiling, friendly, happy with his lot, he knows how long it took him to get here and how hard he had to work so he is enjoying his time at the top. Life at the bottom, as he was making the transition from the junior ranks to the main tour, was miserable and anything – even losses – has to be better than that.

Growing up in Limassol, it soon became apparent that Baggy's talent far outstripped the facilities available at home. As a teenager, he was sent to Paris to train at an academy but, much as he adored the family who took him in, he missed his home and he missed his mum.

In particular, he missed his mum's lasagne which he describes as "the best food in the world". And Mrs Baghdatis missed her Marcos. He swears that, to this day, Mrs B encourages him to bring his dirty laundry home with him so that she can wash and iron his kit.

"I think when you don't see your kid for six months then I think you wouldn't mind," Baghdatis said of his mother's devotion to laundry. Spoken like a true boy.

Arriving in France without being able to speak a word of French, Baghdatis had to learn self-sufficiency (and French) if he was to maintain his sanity. Far away from home with no one to talk to, he soon discovered that if he could cope with the loneliness then anything the tour could throw at him was not going to be nearly so bad.

As a result, he put up with the injury problems that kept holding back his progress when he joined the professional ranks and he bided his time. His patience was finally rewarded as he bounced through the draw at the Australian Open this year to reach the final. He even took a set from Roger Federer when he got there and, cheered on by a huge Greek-Cypriot fan club, he knew he arrived in the big time.

Even so, not even the most optimistic of souls could have imagined that his next breakthrough would come here. At Wimbledon. On grass. Until this year, he had never won a match on this funny green stuff but now he finds himself in the last four.

Baghdatis did what Baghdatis does best against Hewitt. He was quick, he was fast, he was strong, he was daring. He banged down 19 aces, he feathered countless dropshots; he took the match by the throat and then he let it go as he approached a two set lead; he pounded his chest and he roared himself on and, after just over two and half hours, he had the better of Hewitt. He wore his heart on his sleeve and the crowd loved him for it.

With an ever-growing gang of supporters following his every move, with his mum on the hotline to Him upstairs and with a God-given talent to entertain and surprise, who knows what the last few days of The Championships will bring for Baghdatis.

Written by Alix Ramsay
kindablue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2006, 10:08 PM   #47
country flag kindablue

kindablue has a reputation beyond reputekindablue has a reputation beyond reputekindablue has a reputation beyond reputekindablue has a reputation beyond reputekindablue has a reputation beyond reputekindablue has a reputation beyond reputekindablue has a reputation beyond reputekindablue has a reputation beyond reputekindablue has a reputation beyond reputekindablue has a reputation beyond reputekindablue has a reputation beyond repute

The second article:Match Reports
Bold Baghdatis Upsets Hewitt

Wednesday, 5 July, 2006

Anyone somehow still unfamiliar with the name Marcos Baghdatis at the start of this Wimbledon fortnight must surely know all about him now. Having expelled the home hero Andy Murray in the third round, the 2006 Australian Open runner-up today overpowered sixth seed Lleyton Hewitt to win through to his first Wimbledon semi-final.

Hewitt came into the match unbeaten on grass this year, but could not live with his opponent’s silky skills. Baghdatis – who until last month had never won a single match on grass – triumphed 6-1, 5-7, 7-6 (7-5), 6-2. He will face Rafael Nadal or Jarkko Nieminen for a place in the final.

If Baghdatis, seeded 18th, could have dreamed up his ideal first set, it could hardly have been better than the reality. He looked immediately assured on the Hewitt serve, as if he was an old hand at Centre Court tennis instead of making only his second outing on the hallowed turf. Pounding away from the baseline, the Cypriot seemed supremely relaxed, while Hewitt appeared thrown by his opponent's power and pace.

The break came at once. On Hewitt’s next serve a wonderful Baghdatis forehand return brought up another window of opportunity. Baghdatis tempted Hewitt into the net and the Australian promptly fluffed a backhand. It was 4-0. In the next game Hewitt encouragingly summoned three break points of his own, and then had to watch as Baghdatis made short work of saving the lot to hold. Hewitt clawed his way on to the scoreboard by holding at last, but Baghdatis took the set with an ace.

The 2002 Wimbledon champion was sporting the same queasy expression most recently seen on the face of Mario Ancic during his obliteration by Roger Federer. He needed to find something – anything – and fast. But all he found was more of the same. Baghdatis broke immediately courtesy of a netcord, and Hewitt was being made to look ordinary. He responded by becoming uncharacteristically defensive, whereupon Baghdatis broke again. Even those who had tipped the Cypriot to give Hewitt a severe test had not quite expected this.

For a while dark clouds gathered overhead, and Hewitt must have prayed fervently for rain. It didn’t come, but in the event he didn’t need it. He broke through the Baghdatis serve for 1-3. All was not lost. Then, serving for the set, the Cypriot’s touch went sufficiently astray to let Hewitt level the score. It was 5-5, and for the first time in the match the air was pierced by the Australian’s signature instruction to himself: “Come on!” Hewitt was scampering about the court rejuvenated, and Baghdatis was rattled. His serve deserted him. From a set and two breaks down, Hewitt levelled the match. He turned to his team in the players’ box and bellowed at them, thumping his heart with his fist. Game on.

But Baghdatis replied by breaking Hewitt at once in the third. Hewitt was clearly annoyed, and dragged it back again. No wonder Pat Rafter referred to him as “the mongrel”. He had points for 4-2 but failed to convert them, hurling his racket to the turf. In the tie-break Baghdatis had the court at his mercy on his first set point but netted an easy volley. He didn’t make the same mistake twice, producing a wonderful backhand return down the line to take it. It was so good that it brought out a touch of Hewitt-ism in the Cypriot – he punched the air, pounded his chest, and shouted in triumph at his delighted mother in the players’ box.

On to the fourth. Despite the gathering gloom of an overcast evening, Baghdatis could glimpse the path to victory. A lovely backhand gave him two points for 3-1, and Hewitt sent a backhand wide. The Baghdatis supporters in the crowd stomped their feet and chanted his name. Minutes later they did it again, when Hewitt put a backhand in the net. The match belonged to Baghdatis.

Written by Kate Battersby
kindablue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:35 PM   #48
country flag Choupi

Choupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond repute

From www.eurosport.com, about today's victory over Hewitt.

Australian Open runner-up Marcos Baghdatis stuns 6th seed Lleyton Hewitt 6-1 5-7 7-6 6-2 to reach his first Wimbledon semifinal. Baghdatis, who had never play a grasscourt tournament prior to this year, played an unbelievable display of tennis to edge out the Australian.

"It's amazing for me, " Said an emotional Baghdatis to BBC Sport.

"Everything has happened so fast for me. It's just unbelievable emotions and I hope I can keep it going."

Baghdatis had charged into an improbable lead taking an incredibly one-sided first set 6-1 in just 26 minutes against an opponent who was misfiring badly.

Baghdatis continued in the same spirit with a devastating forehand winner followed by a lucky net cord breaking Hewitt in the first game of the second set.

He went a double-break up before the 2002 Wimbledon champion finally showed signs of fighting back, taking advantage of his tightening opponent to pull off a great escape and take the set 7-5.

If the momentum was now with Hewitt it did not last long, with Hewitt now broken in the opening game of the third set although he pulled himself back immediately to force a tense tie-break.

Baghdatis seized the advantage on his second set point with a sensational backhand winner to take the tie-break 7-5 and clearly win over the crowd with his flamboyant celebrations.

Baghdatis briefly called the trainer early in the fourth set and it appeared Hewitt may have stolen back the initiative in the failing Centre Court light.

Instead Baghdatis, showing no sign of nerves as he closed in on the last four, came up with two magnificent backhands on his way to grabbing a potentially crucial first break of the set for 3-1.

Baghdatis was now serving better than ever and when the pressure shifted to Hewitt to serve to stay in the match, the Cypriot took advantage of his first match point to wrap up a superb victory.

Baghdatis hails from the Cypriot village of Paramytha, which translated means 'fairytale', and he admitted his quarter-final victory was a dream come true.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:51 PM   #49
country flag Choupi

Choupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone knows why www.baghdatis.com doesn't work anymore? Some days now that I can't access the site. It says "fatal error"...blah blah blah.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:20 AM   #50
country flag TenHound

TenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond repute

His site was prob. put together by a friend & perhaps not enough bandwidth either.
TenHound is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 04:29 PM   #51
country flag Choupi

The site's working again.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:54 AM   #52
country flag Choupi

Marcos is back to the Mouratoglou Academy, according to his site. He's back training for next season.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:25 PM   #53
country flag Eden
Congrats guys

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

Australian Open finalist returns a different man

The Associated PressPublished: January 8, 2007

SYDNEY, Australia: Marcos Baghdatis arrived Down Under before last year's Australian Open as a virtual unknown.

But after advancing to the final against tournament champion Roger Federer — beating top 10 players Andy Roddick, Ivan Ljubicic and David Nalbandian along the way — he captured the imagination and hearts of Australian tennis fans and of those back in his home country of Cyprus.

This year, Baghdatis returns a different player.

His ranking has improved from 65 to 11. Unknown no more, a vocal group of about 50 fans occupied the upper deck of the former 2000 Olympic tennis stadium, waving Greek flags, on Monday to watch the fourth-seeded Baghdatis beat Latvia's Ernests Gulbis 7-6 (3), 6-1 in a first-round match at the Sydney International.

Dozens of his relatives from Sydney were also in the stands, as well as some of the 500 Australian members of the Marcos Baghdatis Fan Club, an Internet-based organization that is growing each week.
"Whenever I see the Rebound Ace and the color of the courts, I just want to play," Baghdatis said.

"Really, I'm not joking, I'm serious. I don't know why, the sunshine and all the things, it gives you motivation to play."

Baghdatis, 21, took a medical timeout at the end of the first set to receive treatment on a sore hip and groin, but said it wont hamper his Australian Open preparations. The first Grand Slam of 2007 begins next Monday in Melbourne.

"After a massage it was getting better but I still have a bit of pain," said Baghdatis, who suffered cramping throughout the Australian Open last year.

Those cramps — in both legs — caused him to hobble in the latter stages of a stirring second-round loss to the retiring Andre Agassi at the U.S. Open last year. That came about six weeks after he advanced to the semifinals at Wimbledon, just part of his memorable 2006.

Baghdatis arrived in Sydney on Sunday after losing to Sweden's Robin Soderling in the quarterfinals of the Qatar Open in Doha.

"I was a bit tired today and jet lagged. Waking up this morning I didnt really want to come out and play today," he said. "I'm happy I fought through and I won."

Source: http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/...is-is-Back.php
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 06:57 PM   #54
country flag Choupi

This is the translation I've made of an article concerning Marcos, published in French Tennis Magazine, February 2007.

Written by Guy Barbier, in Tennis Magazine, February 2007.

The Star of the Academy

Today, like every Wednesday during that winter training period, it's a day off for Marcos Baghdatis. Cut from the outside in what he calls his "2nd family", the Mouratoglou Academy, in the Yvelines, to prepare for next season, the Cypriot, revelation of last year, knows no lazy day. The day's begun with a good deed which he enjoyed a lot: hit the ball for a few minutes with the prodigy child of the Academy, Jan Silva. The young American, aged 4 ½, that Marcos and his coach Guillaume Peyre had "discovered" last March at Indian Wells, and who's now living at Mouratoglou's. "He's really stunning", he says, "that's funny!! The racket's bigger than him, and all he does with it is trully unbelievable for his age." And there's also been that lunch with the Ambassador of Cyprus in France, Minas Hadjimichael, come to visit the newly elected "Man of the Year in Cyprus". And finally, in the afternoon, a physical training awaits him, a bonus of last minute in his programm, which says a lot about his ambitions at the beginning of 2007.

No celebrations for the end of the year in Cyprus, then, a family sacrifice that Marcos imposed himself, thanks to his experience of 2006.
"Before last Australian Open," he points out, "I had already spent December training. "Nonetheless", he adds, "I've noticed that after my good performances last year, I've gone through low periods, because I had more or less lost grip. I've made mistakes. Like going on holidays for 3 weeks after Wimbledon. I've flown to Cyprus. I've given a lot to the others....At the end of the day, I've completely messed up the US tourneys this summer. Now, all's clear in my mind: I wanna live everything 100% , devote all my time and energy to tennis, for the upcoming 3 years. All the rest, I just skip: family, friends, private life. And we'll see."

This hunger for absolute is for Baghdatis the natural continuation of a 2006 season which brought him, in his 21st year, multiple satisfactions. Of course, he'll keep in mind his 1st Grand Slam final, at the AO, his semi-final at Wimbledon, his breaking through the Top 10 (n°8 in August, 12 at the end of the year), and also his 1st ATP title (in Beijing in September). But his most precious memory remains a very accurate moment at the AO.

"This is the match point against Nalbandian, in the semi. Not an extraordinary point, as it was an ace. But it was allowing me to qualify for the final. In front of all my friends, my cousins, in front of the whole world, thanks to the media. After that point, I've lived the most beautiful 2 minutes of my player's life".

Compared to these astounding emotions of his 1st big final, as n°52 seeded, against Roger Federer from whom he was gonna take a set, the joy of his semi-final in Wimbledon has been experienced on the "soft mode" ("only fun when next to Autralia!!"). In the likeness of the usual British selfishness as opposed to the warm Greek tunes under the Austral summer sun compared with the softness of the ball bouncing on the grass, a surface on which Marcos considers himself "the very first surprised to be able to play as good", to the point of having defeated, successively, players like Sébastien Grosjean, Andy Murray and Lleyton Hewitt!

Another sober joy for a moment so particular, the one of the 1st ATP title, won mid-September in Beijing against Mario Ancic in the final.
"You know", tells Marcos,"when you've just played Agassi in front of 23000 people in Flushing Meadow, finding yourself in China......"

It's true. How could Baghdatis have chased from his mind the images of that crazy match that just opposed him, 2 weeks before, to Andre Agassi on the Arthur Ashe Stadium for the 2nd round of the US Open? An epic battle, won 7-5 in the 5th set by the one all America was celebrating for his farewell tennis event, Baghdatis being knocked down by cramps after having come back from 2 sets to love.

"For those 2 first sets (lost 6-4 6-4)", tells Marcos,"I was feeling like nuts! The whole crowd was treating me like a shabby guy. But I've fought like crazy, even when I was down 0-4 in the 4th set. Too sad, those cramps at the end......I've lost but I've gone out of the court with my head up high, after an extraordinary match. It was such an emotion. Agassi's always been, together with Rafter, my fave player. I wasn't happy I had lost, but I was happy it's him who defeated me. When we shook hands, Agassi saw I was moved. He told me " but what's the matter with you now?" Me, I was feeling like kissing him, kiss him on his bald head..."

After an end of the season, experienced like a big dropping of the tension because of a twisted shoulder due to a plungeon a bit too risky when he was training in Bangkok, an accident which forced him to not take part to the Masters Cup, Baghdatis thus chose to go back to his French bases to prepare the 2007 season.

When this guy, born in Limassol, Cyprus, talks about the Mouratoglou Academy, that he became member of, aged 13, when the Academy was still based in Montreuil, Seine Saint Denis, he speaks of France like his "adoption country", and of the tennis camp like "his 2nd family". And he had really one, the one of Laurent and Nathalie Benaim in Courbevoie, this family he stayed with during numerous years, like he told us about in Tennis Magazine, in a previous edition (see: his extraordinary story, Tennis Magazine n°346, Jan 2005).

Today, become famous and millionaire, Marcos Baghdatis remains that child of the Academy, where he's grown up and still trains with one of the coaches who saw him arrive, Guillaume Peyre. As a matter of fact, he's become the king of the village made of those chalets where the boarded students of the Academy live. Marcos lives, during his stays at the Academy, in a chalet situated at the end of this weird main street. From there, he can enjoy the view over the tennis courts as well as the Club House of the Liberty Club. The emotion's still there. Especially when he goes back among all those youngsters who reflect him strongly back the image of the guy he still was, not so long ago. Kids for whom he still is "Marcos" and for whom he knows how to be the example. " If I can help them, inspire them, then that's fine. But most of all, I'm their friend. I know where I come from. I've gone through all this, like them. And I think I show them that we're not there to give matches. That even if you're not 100%, you have to do everything to keep on fighting, to try to get away with it."

The eye he lays on the structure that turned him into a professional tennis player is first and foremost the one of gratefulness.

"One can say, undoubtedly, that today I'm important for the Academy. But I also know to what extent the Academy was, and still is, important for me. Patrick (Mouratoglou) has done so much for me. And still does."

It's there, on the countryside of the Yvelines, between Plaisir and Thiverval-Grignon, that Baghdatis has started to "swallow" the features of his new life of young champion, of his repute, his new world.

"In 2006, it's been very tough to get used to", he admits. " I had to do all at the same time: play, face and cope with business, solicitations in Cyprus and elsewhere. I've had to surround myself with competent and trustworthy people. Today, that's done, I've got a team around me, I feel stronger. In 2007, I should feel better in my mind."

Marcos Baghdatis was saying he was eager to be there, at the beginning of this new season he was planning to start in Doha before heading Sydney and Melbourne.
Ah...Autralia, the Rod Laver Arena...." I'm looking forward to going back there", he says, only precising that the holidays that he took at the end of last season already brought him to Sydney, where he could meet "family, cousins, grandmother...", where he "went a lot to discos", where he "slept a lot", "did some karting". And where he came closer to his dream of going back to Melbourne.

"I so much feel like going back there. For the moment, with more will than stress, but I know that stress's gonna come." Unexpected finalist last year against Roger Federer against whom "everyone tries to give one's best but who's an exceptional player, one of the greatest in tennis history, who does whatever he wants with the ball", Marcos won't go back and expose himself to the enthusiasm of his fans from the outstanding Greek community of Melbourne as well as to his numerous relatives who live there, just to do as well as last year, but better!

"What matters, that's when you lift up the Trophy. I'm not playing to become n°2 or even n°1 in the world. I play to live moments such as those I've lived in Australia last year. To win big titles, and most of all, my 2 favourite ones, the Australian Open and Roland Garros. That's what I have on my mind every morning, especially when it's hard to go training. I have faith in that and I've already proven, I think, that I was a player built for the big events. I think it's gonna be that way, all the time".
Old 01-22-2007, 06:44 PM   #55
country flag Choupi

Marcos will play Zagreb, though it wasn't initially scheduled. But he asked for a WC and got it, after his early loss at the AO.

http://www.zagrebindoors.com/indoors.htm
Old 01-22-2007, 11:11 PM   #56
country flag Dimitra

Dimitra has a reputation beyond reputeDimitra has a reputation beyond reputeDimitra has a reputation beyond reputeDimitra has a reputation beyond reputeDimitra has a reputation beyond reputeDimitra has a reputation beyond reputeDimitra has a reputation beyond reputeDimitra has a reputation beyond reputeDimitra has a reputation beyond reputeDimitra has a reputation beyond reputeDimitra has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choupi View Post
Marcos will play Zagreb, though it wasn't initially scheduled. But he asked for a WC and got it, after his early loss at the AO.

http://www.zagrebindoors.com/indoors.htm
yes I saw it too in his website.I think it's great news and the draw is pretty strong.

Good luck Marcos!Now you are off the big pressure so play good tennis!
Dimitra is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 07:33 PM   #57
country flag Choupi

Here's my translation of an interview Marcos gave to L'Equipe, published on January 14th, right before the AO. The interview had been posted on this forum but I only translated it now.

A more relaxed man

Marcos Baghdatis was born at the Australian Open 2006. 1 year after, he makes a moving confession.

Finalist at the Australian Open against Roger Federer, Marcos Baghdatis has started an outstanding season in January 2006. One year after, at the Doha event, just before his Australian campaign, he could have been relieved to have reached the world's bests or, on the contrary, stressed by an upcoming great result to defend. But Baghdatis (21 years old) is more upset than his easy-going and full of fun look lets us see. This rare confession enlightens the traps of an odyssey which brought him into the light.

"On the match point, last year against Nalbandian in the semi, I've felt like everything was going out of me. My body was emptying itself. All this pressure piled up for years had vanished, all of a sudden. That's precisely at this moment, suddenly, that I've realized something very important: that was it, that was over, was good, I had succeeded, I would never have anymore trouble. I was there, that was all. The previous seasons hadn't been great. I had been injured, I'd gone through huge private troubles and my parents weren't ok. But I had devoted myself to work and the reward had arrived in front of the crazy people who were cheering for me in the stadium and in front of all Cyprus watching me.

Yes, I call them "crazy", all those Greek Cypriots who have contributed to create an exceptional mood. Against Stepanek and Gremelmayr, during the first 2 rounds, it was really wild and beautiful. They were 150. This year, I've been told they should be 450.....Can you imagine how it's gonna be like? I'm eager to enter the court with them in the stands, to remind myself of all those emotions, to remind me that it's there that I've felt becoming more relaxed.

Before the epic moment, everyone was telling me that I would succeed and that, if I didn't, my life would be useless. It's mostly for my father that I've felt my failure would be terrible. He had done everything so that there's a Champion in the family. I had no other choice, I just had to. I remember that, when we were training together, when I was young, in Cyprus, I kept on telling him I wanted to play tennis. But he had no doubt I wasn't actually feeling like it....... Still today, I think he's convinced I wanted to play tennis.....But I'm still ignoring why I was keeping on telling him I was feeling like it. As simple as that, I was never saying no. And, when I was 14, he left me in Paris; he trusted people. And the only thing I would have loved him to explain me, that was this: why did you leave your son like this? Ok, so that he plays tennis, but damn it......it was tough. I didn't know how it was working, but I had to believe in me all the time. People like Patrick (Mouratoglou, from the Academy which welcomed him) have helped me make the right decisions, but the family which welcomed me, that I adore, has taught me one thing: in life, you're all by yourself. And it's true. Me, I was all by myself, I was travelling alone, I was never with my family, and that's hard when you're a kid, especially when you don't get well with your coaches.

That's why I say that life isn't always beautiful. I often talk with my family and we always argue on the meaning of your life. For them, it's beautiful and worth being lived. Me, I think that it's not easy. I will never be able to erase that big pain that's inside of me, which is of having grown up without my parents and of never have been able to feel their love. The most important for me isn't to have succeeded in tennis. Honestly, being number 10, 3, 4 or 11, I don't care. I don't wanna be Federer. Live the emotions and pass them on to the others, yes. Seeing the man I've become, that's what makes me the happiest. Very few guys know, at 21, what life is all about. What I've been able to accomplish will allow me to reach out for my dreams later. As I have for later, and not only in tennis. For the moment, I'm still a player. Yeah, 2 or 3 more years....and then? My dream was to be a football player. Football coach, yes, I'm thinking about it!! Actually, I've been successfull in what my father wanted. That's really what I've felt last year in Melbourne.

Of course, I would have preferred to have won against Federer in the final. I still think about that at nights, every now and then. I really wasn't far. In my dreams, I see myself leading 7-5, 2-0. But there's still his damn forehand on that breakpoint, down the line, into the corner........And then, I see the moment at 6-5 for him in the 2nd set, 40-0 on my serve, but I lose the game and I feel my legs shaking. There are flashes like these that come back (he'll lose the match 5-7, 7-5, 6-0, 6-2). I've noticed something funny: since 4 years, Federer is the only one who's defeated me in Melbourne. In 2003, I win the Junior Event. In 2004, I'm injured. In 2005, I qualify and I lose in the 4th round against Roger. And last year, in the final.....

I feel good in Australia. Better than in France, where I find that people can sometimes be individualistic. You know why Monaco is my favourite football club? Because it's not a French Club......But, in Australia, I've had a good feeling, straight from the start. When I won the Junior in 2003, I had gone and spent a couple of days in my family in Sydney and I've fallen in love with the place, straight. It's the most beautiful city in the world! That's undescribable. I adore everything. And, this winter, we went back there, spending 2 weeks with the family. In Sydney, I have at least 14 cousins.......Their name is Baghdadi, like Bagdad with an "i". My father, who had been forced to change his name when he came to Cyprus, hadn't seen his mother for 14 years. This return to our roots, this was a present for my parents. We had barbecues at uncles's, visited cousins. But I most of all slept a lot, to recover from all those emotions of this past season.......

Even in Davis Cup, I've had some, in Bulgaria, where we've been badly treated with my brother, who's been slapped, and my coach of the Cypriot team I saw crying for the 1st time. Needless speaking of the 19 breakpoints against Nadal in the Wimbledon semifinal. And against Andre (Agassi), when I lost at the USO, just forget about it! I went out of the court, I entered the lockerrooms and I was in tears. For 2007, I will have to keep on in the same frame of mind. All often depends on the details that change the course of 2 or 3 key matches in a season. That's why I don't go to the AO with an excessive pressure. If I don't do well here, I'll do better in Flushing, that's all. Anyway, my father will be present in Melbourne. That was his dream that one of his sons becomes a Champion, and that will be the 1st match he'll see me play."
Old 01-27-2007, 11:37 PM   #58
country flag Dimitra

Dimitra has a reputation beyond reputeDimitra has a reputation beyond reputeDimitra has a reputation beyond reputeDimitra has a reputation beyond reputeDimitra has a reputation beyond reputeDimitra has a reputation beyond reputeDimitra has a reputation beyond reputeDimitra has a reputation beyond reputeDimitra has a reputation beyond reputeDimitra has a reputation beyond reputeDimitra has a reputation beyond repute

wow..just wow.

I feel now so bad for Marcos. I had an idea how he felt,but at age 21 to think that life is all difficult and tough...that I didn't know...

Well..Wonderful job Choupi! You are the best!!
Dimitra is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:34 PM   #59
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Tennis magazine has a special cover story on the new generation of hot shots and Marcos is featured
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hotshots.jpg (295.3 KB, 23 views)
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:34 AM   #60
country flag sdimitri

sdimitri has a reputation beyond reputesdimitri has a reputation beyond reputesdimitri has a reputation beyond reputesdimitri has a reputation beyond reputesdimitri has a reputation beyond reputesdimitri has a reputation beyond reputesdimitri has a reputation beyond reputesdimitri has a reputation beyond reputesdimitri has a reputation beyond reputesdimitri has a reputation beyond reputesdimitri has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this article tangerine_dream
sdimitri is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote