Articles, News ... - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-16-2006, 10:07 AM   #16
country flag Choupi

Choupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Articles, News ...

Thanks for that. I like that, a breath of fresh air, suits him so well.
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2006, 01:08 AM   #17
country flag napki

napki has a reputation beyond reputenapki has a reputation beyond reputenapki has a reputation beyond reputenapki has a reputation beyond reputenapki has a reputation beyond reputenapki has a reputation beyond reputenapki has a reputation beyond reputenapki has a reputation beyond reputenapki has a reputation beyond reputenapki has a reputation beyond reputenapki has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choupi
Thanks for that. I like that, a breath of fresh air, suits him so well.
He definitely is. And he's doing pretty well at his first course of "how to handle stupid interview questions."

Thanks for posting those Choupi and George.
napki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:01 AM   #18
country flag Choupi

Choupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond repute

From Tennis Magazine, May 2006. Words of Guillaume Peyre, after Marcos lost to Davydenko in Miami:

"No, there was nothing to be done today. He didn't feel like beating Davydenko today. Unlike Indian Wells, he wasn't there. Since our arrival in Miami, he couldn't stop thinking about the upcoming DC tie between Bulgaria and Cyprus. He has to adapt to his new status as well as to all solicitations ppl await from him. The priority for him before RG is to be ready physically, and if he isn't fit enough, then we might replace a tournament by a week of training."
Old 04-13-2006, 06:32 AM   #19
country flag athina7

athina7 has a reputation beyond reputeathina7 has a reputation beyond reputeathina7 has a reputation beyond reputeathina7 has a reputation beyond reputeathina7 has a reputation beyond reputeathina7 has a reputation beyond reputeathina7 has a reputation beyond reputeathina7 has a reputation beyond reputeathina7 has a reputation beyond reputeathina7 has a reputation beyond reputeathina7 has a reputation beyond repute

An article on his first round match. Apparently he was down 2-5 in the second set. Good comeback.

Baghdatis overcomes jet lag, wins match
By MICHAEL A. LUTZ, AP Sports Writer
April 13, 2006

HOUSTON (AP) -- Marcos Baghdatis of Cyprus rallied in the second set to beat Jesse Witten of the United States 6-4, 7-6 (2) Wednesday as his rowdy, flag-waving fans shouted and stomped to the beat of throbbing music in the first round of the U.S. Men's Clay Court Championship.

Top-seeded Andy Roddick had little trouble in defeating Oliver Maranch of Austria 6-3, 6-4 in a second round match. He'll face former champion Tommy Haas of Germany in Friday's quarterfinals.

Baghdatis was down 2-5 in the second set when he finally gave his vocal fans something to cheer, just as he did when he came from far down in the rankings to reach the finals of the Australian Open in January. He lost in the finals but became a national hero in Cyprus.

Baghdatis held serve in the eighth game and broke Witten in the ninth game when Witten drove a forehand into the net trying to return a drop shot by Baghdatis. That brought Baghdatis' fans to their feet, sensing the comeback.

"I think Cypriots are everywhere," Baghdatis said. "It's fun playing in front of your countrymen, your own people. It's a big responsibility. The whole country sees what I do, especially the kids so I try to have a good image for them and try not to do any bad things in life, trying to show them good examples."

The two players then served out to force the tiebreaker. Baghdatis won the final four points of the tiebreaker and won the match at the first match point on Witten's errant service return.

ADVERTISEMENT

Baghdatis had a tough time to start the second set. He lost 12 of the first 13 points of the set. Witten closed out a love third game with an ace for a 3-0 lead. Baghdatis held in the sixth game after surviving two break points.

Baghdatis played 11 sets in two days in Europe last week and then showed up at Westside Tennis Club with jetlag from a long flight to Texas.

"I wasn't expected to play good today," Baghdatis said. "I just told myself to try to get through and fight at the important moments and that's what I did. It paid off for today. I played good at the end of the second set.

"It was important not to go to the third set. I think that will help me to get some sleep and be fresh for tomorrow."
athina7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 03:02 PM   #20
country flag hawk

hawk has a reputation beyond reputehawk has a reputation beyond reputehawk has a reputation beyond reputehawk has a reputation beyond reputehawk has a reputation beyond reputehawk has a reputation beyond reputehawk has a reputation beyond reputehawk has a reputation beyond reputehawk has a reputation beyond reputehawk has a reputation beyond reputehawk has a reputation beyond repute

Bad news! Marcos is not playing in Monte Carlo. The injury seems deeper. He will play again on 1st of May, Estoril followed by Master Series Hamburg on 15th of May.

Hope he recovers soon.
hawk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 03:04 PM   #21
country flag kindablue

kindablue has a reputation beyond reputekindablue has a reputation beyond reputekindablue has a reputation beyond reputekindablue has a reputation beyond reputekindablue has a reputation beyond reputekindablue has a reputation beyond reputekindablue has a reputation beyond reputekindablue has a reputation beyond reputekindablue has a reputation beyond reputekindablue has a reputation beyond reputekindablue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk
Bad news! Marcos is not playing in Monte Carlo. The injury seems deeper. He will play again on 1st of May, Estoril followed by Master Series Hamburg on 15th of May.

Hope he recovers soon.
kindablue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 05:57 PM   #22
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Björki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond repute

poor marcos. get well soon.

Bryans || Djokovic || Paire || Chiudinelli || Nalbandian || Hanley || Rojer || Nadal
Söderling || Verdasco || Wawrinka || Simon || O. Rochus || Leo Mayer

Björkman || Arthurs || Edberg || Rafter || T.Johansson || M.Norman || Aspelin
Björki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 06:00 PM   #23
country flag oLn

oLn has a reputation beyond reputeoLn has a reputation beyond reputeoLn has a reputation beyond reputeoLn has a reputation beyond reputeoLn has a reputation beyond reputeoLn has a reputation beyond reputeoLn has a reputation beyond reputeoLn has a reputation beyond reputeoLn has a reputation beyond reputeoLn has a reputation beyond reputeoLn has a reputation beyond repute

dammit ! i was hoping that he will play...
yeah get well soon marco !

clijsters | daniilidou | davenport | ivanovic | pennetta | pierce | sharapova*

—( —( panathinaikos )— )—
• football • basketball • volleyball •
oLn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 07:21 PM   #24
country flag athina7

athina7 has a reputation beyond reputeathina7 has a reputation beyond reputeathina7 has a reputation beyond reputeathina7 has a reputation beyond reputeathina7 has a reputation beyond reputeathina7 has a reputation beyond reputeathina7 has a reputation beyond reputeathina7 has a reputation beyond reputeathina7 has a reputation beyond reputeathina7 has a reputation beyond reputeathina7 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hoping it's nothing serious and that it's caused by fatigue like Marcos said.

Get well soon...
athina7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 08:40 AM   #25
country flag Choupi

How I wish he had never gone to Houston.....get well soon Marcos.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:02 AM   #26
country flag sdimitri

sdimitri has a reputation beyond reputesdimitri has a reputation beyond reputesdimitri has a reputation beyond reputesdimitri has a reputation beyond reputesdimitri has a reputation beyond reputesdimitri has a reputation beyond reputesdimitri has a reputation beyond reputesdimitri has a reputation beyond reputesdimitri has a reputation beyond reputesdimitri has a reputation beyond reputesdimitri has a reputation beyond repute

Get Well soon Marcos.
Take some rest and come back stronger.
Too bad he won´t play at Monte Carlo bat thats how sports are.
sdimitri is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 06:48 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choupi
How I wish he had never gone to Houston.....get well soon Marcos.
Yes Choupi I'm with you on this I don't think he should have gone to Houston. It was too much travelling and too much tennis. I only hope his injury isn't serious. Get well soon Marcos
View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:49 AM   #28
country flag LostGlory

LostGlory has a reputation beyond reputeLostGlory has a reputation beyond reputeLostGlory has a reputation beyond reputeLostGlory has a reputation beyond reputeLostGlory has a reputation beyond reputeLostGlory has a reputation beyond reputeLostGlory has a reputation beyond reputeLostGlory has a reputation beyond reputeLostGlory has a reputation beyond reputeLostGlory has a reputation beyond reputeLostGlory has a reputation beyond repute

Did you guys read anything about the injury anywhere?
Old 04-18-2006, 10:35 AM   #29
country flag hawk

hawk has a reputation beyond reputehawk has a reputation beyond reputehawk has a reputation beyond reputehawk has a reputation beyond reputehawk has a reputation beyond reputehawk has a reputation beyond reputehawk has a reputation beyond reputehawk has a reputation beyond reputehawk has a reputation beyond reputehawk has a reputation beyond reputehawk has a reputation beyond repute

This is what happened in Houston.

Hurt Baghdatis forced to retire in Houston

2006/4/15
HOUSTON, AP

Fourth-seeded Marcos Baghdatis of Cyprus retired in his second-round match against American Vince Spadea on Thursday because of lower back pain.
The unseeded Spadea was ahead 6-2, 3-1 when Baghdatis walked to the sideline favoring his right leg after being broken for the third time in the match and told the umpire he could not continue.

"We still don't know what it is," Baghdatis said. "Maybe a nerve got squeezed. I just felt pain coming down my leg."

While practicing his serve before going on the court for the match, Baghdatis occasionally kneaded a muscle on the back of his right hip and bent forward to stretch regularly. He said that was when he first felt the pain.

During the match, Baghdatis initially asked for a trainer a game before being broken a second time to drop the first set. The trainer came out and stretched Baghdatis' right leg as he lay on a table courtside. When the Australian Open finalist returned to the court, he won four straight points to break Spadea for his first lead of the match, 1-0.

Spadea broke back in the next game and then held to lead 2-1. The trainer returned on the change over and stretched both of Baghdatis' legs as he lay on towels on the ground.

When the Cypriot went back to serve he was limping slightly. Five points and another break later, he told the umpire he needed to retire.

"I tried. I wanted to play," the 20-year-old said. "I didn't want to stop a match like this but the pain was getting worse."

The match was the first between the two players.

Spadea could sympathize. He retired at non-tour event at River Oaks Country Club in Houston last week with an elbow injury.

"I didn't want to have a worse injury and be out weeks and weeks," Spadea said. "Pain is a sign of illness, it could get worse right away."

Baghdatis came into the tournament after playing 11 sets in two days when Cyprus played at Bulgaria in the Davis Cup. But since his unexpected run to the finals of the year's first Grand Slam in Melbourne, he's been playing a lot.
hawk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:35 PM   #30
country flag hawk

From marcos official site:

Marcos gave up against Radek Stepanek in the Masters Series of Hamburg on the score of 6/3 3/1. Now, Marcos will prepare himself for Roland Garros. 16/05/2006

Go on Marcos. Get well soon and prepare well for RG. We would like to see a stunning comeback.