Doubles Race Year End Ranking - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-12-2003, 09:10 PM   #1
country flag nitsansh

nitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Doubles Race Year End Ranking

Standing on Saturday November 14: (updated after final)
Code:
Rnk PRk Player  		       Pts  PPt  Max Add Nxt  Rnd/Res/Opp 
1   1   Bryan, B. / Bryan, M.         1052  902 1052 150      F  W Llodra/Santoro
2   2   Bhupathi, M. / Mirnyi, M.      898  878  898  20      
3   4   Knowles, M. / Nestor, D.       850  790  850  60      SF L Llodra/Santoro
4   3   Bjorkman, J. / Woodbridge, T.  829  809  829  20      
5   6   Llodra, M. / Santoro, F.       735  655  735  80      F  L Rryan/Bryan
6   5   Arthurs, W. / Hanley, P.       698  678  698  20      
7   7   Paes, L. / Rikl, D.            522  522  522
8   8   Damm, M. / Suk, C.             521  521  521   0      
9   9   Etlis, G. / Rodriguez, M.      400  380  490  20      SF L Bryan/Bryan
Abreviations:
Rnk = Ranking
PRk = Previous ranking (3/11)
Pts = Points
PPt = Previous points (3/11)
Max = Maximum points he can get after Houston
Add = Points added this tournament
Nxt = Points if wins next match
Rnd = Round (RR = Round Robin, SF, F)
Res = Result (L = lost, W = won, v = versus)
Opp = Last/Next opponent

Last edited by nitsansh : 11-16-2003 at 10:33 PM.
nitsansh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2003, 09:24 PM   #2
country flag nitsansh

nitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond reputenitsansh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doubles Race standing - updated Wednesday

2 changes in the ranking so far:
Knowles & Nestor climbed to #3 at the expense of Bjorkman & Woodbridge, and Llodra & Santoro went up to 5th place ahead of Arthurs & Hanley.
Places 7,8 & 9 are confirmed.

Bhupathi & Mirnyi, who lost the 1st set to Knowles & Nestor, are close to elimination, and if that happends, the Bryan twins will be confirmed as #1.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:23 PM   #3
country flag Tinne

Tinne has a reputation beyond reputeTinne has a reputation beyond reputeTinne has a reputation beyond reputeTinne has a reputation beyond reputeTinne has a reputation beyond reputeTinne has a reputation beyond reputeTinne has a reputation beyond reputeTinne has a reputation beyond reputeTinne has a reputation beyond reputeTinne has a reputation beyond reputeTinne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doubles Race standing - updated Wednesday

nitsansh,

thanks for the updates! I'm horrible at race points and all that....

Bhupathi/Mirnyi lost yesterday, so Mike and Bob made it year end #1! They've had an amazing year accomplishing so many goals... I just hope they can end it with a win at the masters cup!
Tinne is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 09:14 PM   #4
country flag nitsansh

Default Re: Doubles Race standing - updated Wednesday: Bhupathi & Mirnyi still in race for #1!

No! Bhupathi&Mirnyi qualified to the SF and are still in the race for #1!
If they win the title, they will overtake the Bryans, whom they will meet in the 2nd semi tommorrow. Win for B&B will secure them in #1.
But B&M should also look behind them, as in case Knowles & Nestor win the Masters Cup, they will overtake B&M in #2.
#4 is confirmed for Bjorkman&Woodbridge, who were eliminated from the tournament.
Arthurs&Hanley regained 5th place with their dramatic 11:9 3rd set TB win over Etlis&Rodriguez, which denied the Argentinians a place in the semis.
But the Australians are out of the tournament while Llodra & Santoro are still in, and if the Frenchmen win their semi tonight against Knowles&Nestor, they will climb back to #5 and stay there.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:48 PM   #5
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doubles Race standing - updated Wednesday: Bhupathi & Mirnyi still in race for #1!

Well then the ATP is wrong because it says that the Bryans are year-end #1 clinched.
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 10:20 PM   #6
nkoth

nkoth is on a distinguished road

No, you're right bunk18bsb -- Bhupathi and Mirnyi did not qualify for the semi's; the race for #1 is essentially over.
nkoth is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 10:21 PM   #7
country flag Jorge

Jorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond reputeJorge has a reputation beyond repute

so who has the reason? have the Bryan twins already clinched the 1st spot or not?
Jorge is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 10:33 PM   #8
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

from masters-cup.com

Bryans Claim No. 1

In a double celebration for American tennis, Bob and Mike Bryan Wednesday night were guaranteed to become the first team of brothers to claim the year-end No. 1 doubles team ranking. Hot on the heels of Andy Roddick's clinching of the singles year-end No. 1 title, the Bryans wrapped up the ATP Doubles Race a day after finishing their round-robin group
3-0.

Bob Bryan said: "The whole year in general was successful because we accomplished five of our lifetime goals - winning a Grand Slam, breaking the Gullikson brothers record, reaching No. 1 individually, playing Davis Cup, and finishing the year No. 1. It feels really good and all the hard work we put in through the years has paid off this year.”

Mike Bryan said: "We're happy to be the first brothers team to finish No. 1 and that was our biggest dream in the world along with playing Davis Cup. We've accomplished both goals this year. We're happy that we're making doubles more popular and there's been great doubles played here all week. We hope to finish here with a title."
Old 11-13-2003, 10:33 PM   #9
country flag nitsansh

I don't understand it...
The ATP website put Etlis&Rodriguez as the 2nd qualifyers in the blue group, but according to the rules published on the MC website, the 2nd place should go to Bhupathi & Mirnyi!

The tie break rules, if several teams are tied on the same # of wins, are as follows:
If two or more players are tied after the round robin matches, the ties will be broken as follows:1. Winner of match between the two players tied; 2. Player with the highest percentage of sets won; 3. Player with the highest percentage of games won.

Since E&R and B&M are tied on wins and their sets count is both 3:4, the ranking should be decided on games percentage. E&R's games count is 33:38, while B&M's is 38:41.
How the h--l did E&R qualify ahead of B&M?

Of course, if B&M failed to qualify, then the Bryans are #1, but I don't see why they didn't qualify?
Old 11-13-2003, 10:37 PM   #10
country flag Deboogle!.

hmmm I have no clue. It's definitely E&R in, though, on the official Doubles Draw pdf from atptennis.com it's got them playing the Bryans (tomorrow I presume)
Old 11-13-2003, 10:48 PM   #11
country flag nitsansh

Default Re: Doubles Race standing - updated Wednesday: Bryans take #1, but I don't see how...

Yes, I see that...

The MC website doesn't give the ranking, but has the group tables... I have tripled-checked the calculations, and there's no reason that E&R would be ahead of B&M, unless they got the scores wrong, or the rules wrong...
Old 11-13-2003, 11:06 PM   #12
country flag nitsansh

Default Re: Doubles Race standing - updated Wednesday: Bryans take #1, but I don't see how...

Here's the solution...

3.The final standings of each group shall be determined by the first of the following
methods that apply:
a.Greatest number of wins;
b.Greatest number of matches played;
c.Head-to-head results if only two (2)players are tied,or if three (3)players
are tied,then:
(i)If three (3)players each have one win,a player having played less than all three (3)matches is automatically eliminated and the player
advancing to the Single Elimination competition is the winner of the match-up of the two (2)players tied with 1-2 records;or
(ii)Highest percentage of sets won;or
(iii)Highest percentage of games won.
(iv)If (i),(ii)or (iii)produce one superior player (first place),or one inferior
player (third place),and the two remaining players are tied,the tie between those two players shall be broken by head-to-head record.

d.If ties still exist after the above procedures,the Steering Committee shall make the final determination.
Old 11-13-2003, 11:20 PM   #13
country flag Deboogle!.

wow I do not understand that at all lol
Old 11-13-2003, 11:42 PM   #14
jenglisbe

jenglisbe has a reputation beyond reputejenglisbe has a reputation beyond reputejenglisbe has a reputation beyond reputejenglisbe has a reputation beyond reputejenglisbe has a reputation beyond reputejenglisbe has a reputation beyond reputejenglisbe has a reputation beyond reputejenglisbe has a reputation beyond reputejenglisbe has a reputation beyond reputejenglisbe has a reputation beyond reputejenglisbe has a reputation beyond repute

Who won the round robin match between E&R and B&M?? That is the first line of decision, right? I don't see why anything else is needed since they have to play each other. What am I missing?
jenglisbe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 11:43 PM   #15
country flag nitsansh

Basically, it says that if 3 players (or double teams as in this case) are tied on # of wins and matches played, and 2 of them are tied on sets percentage, as was the case of Etlis/Rodriguez and Bhupathi/Mirnyi, the ranking of those 2 will be decided on head-to-head (the winner of the match between them, which is E&R in this case) rather than games percentage.

The short version of rules on MC website has ommited section c(iv), but it's in the ATP official rulebook...