Articles, News, Quotes ... - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-20-2006, 07:39 AM   #106
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Björki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Articles, News, Quotes ...

2006 TENNIS MASTERS CUP
SHANGHAI, CHINA, November 18, 2006

BJORKMAN-MIRNYI/Damm-Paes 6-7, 7-6, 7-6

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Was that as exciting to play as it was to watch?

JONAS BJORKMAN: Yeah, I have to say that. It's not often you play matches with such a good quality that went almost like all four are playing their best tennis. You know, it was a great crowd, as well. Really got into it. I think they really appreciate it and gave us the nice support of the good doubles.

So that was very exciting.

Q. Not to cause any trouble, but can you get that level of excitement and everything in the super tiebreaker kind of match, or am I crazy thinking that you can't?

MAX MIRNYI: Well, you know, this was in a way a different league because there was so much at stake to play for. Not only it's the tournament that we're playing at, but it's also sort of bitter feelings because we lost to them the finals of the US Open not too long ago.

That all taken into consideration, you know, made it so special just to play. The longer the match went on, the more painful it would have been to lose the match, seems like.

So I don't know if you could have gotten the same intensity. Well, first of all, time-wise, it wouldn't have been as long. To answer your question, probably this format really made it to the fullest the whole emotion of the match.

Q. What about tomorrow's final? Is it going to be more difficult than today's match?

JONAS BJORKMAN: Well, I think we just have to keep up the same level of tennis, what we have done in the past matches.

If you look at the matchup we had in the group against Knowles and Nestor, it was very close, and we played for 2 hours and 45 minutes, I think.

Yes, I think we're gonna have a really close final. Two teams is playing really good tennis now. I think it's been -- most of the teams been playing well here, but definitely these two teams have been very consistent. So, you know, we've got to maybe even step up one extra knot for tomorrow.

Q. Jonas, was that more mentally draining rather than physically draining, that match? Did it take a lot out of you guys mentally?

JONAS BJORKMAN: I think it was good for us because we used to play even singles and doubles the same day. And this was a good workout both mentally and physically. Yeah, I mean, when it gets that tight in a match like today, you know, obviously it's gonna take a lot of -- a big effort to come through. The good part is that we used to this situation to play a lot, so I don't think it's gonna be any problems for tomorrow.

We will feel pretty fresh and sharp, and hopefully we can continue the same run.

Q. Last year Santoro and Llodra, they are the champion. They took off their shoes and threw it to the crowd. So if tomorrow you wins, what kind of behavior will you do for celebration to all the audience?

MAX MIRNYI: We don't have a high-profile producer traveling with us to set up those moments, so, you know, we'll go with the flow and depending on how the match goes. I think it will be all natural.

Q. Jonas, once you mentioned that you wanted to hire your son Max as a mentor. So I want to know, have you shared your opinions during this tournament? If so, what's his suggestions for you?

JONAS BJORKMAN: He hasn't had too much interest in me the last week purely because I have been away quite a lot. I think I need to catch up a lot of days so he will feel comfortable and maybe help me out with some tricks for the tennis.

But at the moment, you know, he's more satisfied with his cars and his own tennis racquet back home and enjoying that. Then hopefully I can catch up with him next week.

End of FastScripts

Bryans || Djokovic || Paire || Chiudinelli || Nalbandian || Hanley || Rojer || Nadal
Söderling || Verdasco || Wawrinka || Simon || O. Rochus || Leo Mayer

Björkman || Arthurs || Edberg || Rafter || T.Johansson || M.Norman || Aspelin
Björki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2006, 10:42 AM   #107
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Björki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond repute

2006 TENNIS MASTERS CUP
SHANGHAI, CHINA, November 19, 2006

BJORKMAN-MIRNYI/Knowles-Nestor 6-2, 6-4

JONAS BJORKMAN
MAX MIRNYI

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Jonas, an easier final than perhaps you thought yesterday? Straight sets, looked pretty comfortable for you guys.

JONAS BJORKMAN: Yeah, it was a lot easier, obviously, than we expected. But I think we saved the best til last, and we couldn't have finished the year better than this way. We just played probably the best match of the year.

Felt - both of us, even when we came here this morning - we felt really good. Had no stiffness after that long match yesterday. Like I said, we used to play a lot of matches. I think that actually helped us, that we had a tough one yesterday. We came out here and was ready to rock and played almost a hundred percent perfect match.

Q. You have a lot of staying power, Jonas. Twelve years, I think it is, between championship titles. Can you address that. What keeps you playing? A lot of people lose their interest or find it too difficult to go on.

JONAS BJORKMAN: Yeah, '94 in Jakarta was just a year that everything happened in a way. There was a breakthrough with my singles. Got into the Davis Cup team. All of a sudden we won the whole thing in Jakarta, me and Jan Apell. It was just a shock almost because it was not what I was expected, that it would happen that quick.

Now, twelve years back, it seems like I need to go back to Asia a lot more often. I have had some great results in the past, but obviously it seems like I'm playing well. And now with a great partner again, I managed to have another great result.

You know, I really love playing singles and doubles. For me, it is a great game. I have so much fun to play with Max. He's probably the most professional guy I ever seen and played with on and off the court. It's just really, really nice to be around him. You know, it's been great fun these two years, and hopefully we can have the same success next year.

Q. It's not that long ago that the doubles players were at the ATP's throat talking about all sorts of legal actions, etc., etc. What do you think of what's happened since then? Where do you think doubles can go from here in the big scheme of tennis, for both of you?

MAX MIRNYI: Well, I think the big part of this whole thing has to go a credit to our new leader right now, Etienne. Many players have felt, especially doubles players, felt that we were drifting for a long time under the leadership of Mark Miles, in particular there was not enough attention towards doubles.

With Etienne being a true lover of tennis, and in particular of the game of doubles, he's managed to convince the guys and make them believe that the changes are going to be for the better.

It took some time, but the whole group united, and, you know, we see tremendous results in just one year, that more and more positive just news coming out about the game of doubles. I think we're on the very right track, and hopefully for the years to come there will be much, much more involvement of more singles guys playing. Media will be more coverage of doubles. I think we're doing a very good job with the leadership of Etienne.

Q. Jonas?

JONAS BJORKMAN: Yeah, he said most of it there, Max. I'd probably have to say since I had a reminder from Etienne here that I was -- last year I didn't believe this was going to be a success. I had a bet with him with a dinner. So I will have to pay that dinner to Etienne later on when we have time.

But I think, especially him, have made a big impact. He's in the locker room. He's trying to meet up and catch up with everyone - singles, doubles, it doesn't matter. He's the leader in this group, but he's also a friend to everyone. I think that's a difference. That's why everyone has such a confidence in this leadership. Hopefully, this is just something that could be really good for both singles and doubles.

Q. (Through translation.) Last year in the doubles finals Santoro and Llodra really performed in a very fanatic way by throwing shoes into the crowd. Did you guys try to design your way of celebrating your victory today?

JONAS BJORKMAN: I think we all are different. You know, Fabrice and Michael started with that thing in Australia, I think, when they throwed all their clothes and shoes. I don't know if that became their trademark, but then we leave it to their trademark and stick to our thing.

You know, you can never say really what you want to do after a win. It all comes with what happens during the match. You know, we were very happy and excited after the match. You know, it's a great finish of the year, so I think we have to come up with something else later on in the future maybe.

Q. What is the secret of a good doubles team? Is it simple? Is it just simplicity, or knowing each other? What is the art of being a good doubles team? A lot of people strive to be a good doubles team and it doesn't always work.

MAX MIRNYI: I think it's important for styles of play to match, mainly. But even so you see many times teams don't succeed. It's styles of tennis that have to be combined, and as well as the personalties have to match. You have to make sure you find a balance between communication and the technical part of the game, being able to produce what you need to produce to win matches.

I think that, overall, Jonas and I have a good chemistry between the two that, you know, even through some tough moments - 'cause that's normally when you determine whether somebody is good or not - we were able to come through during the year and prove to ourselves that we're capable of coming out of some difficult situations. Because when something happens - today in the finals is not ideally a good point where you can judge something on, you know, everything was one way and only one way today; we were able to just maintain that momentum - I think when the tougher moments come, Jonas and I become stronger and believe in one another and try to help with each other's game.

So I think that's a big part of a good team.

End of FastScripts

Bryans || Djokovic || Paire || Chiudinelli || Nalbandian || Hanley || Rojer || Nadal

Old 11-23-2006, 10:08 AM   #108
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

www.jonasbjorkman.com

Quote:
2006-11-21
Festivities in Stockholm

The Swedish Tennis Association celebrates its 100 year anniversary this week, and all the famous players will attend. There is a number of activities during the week, culminating on Saturday with an event in the Royal Tennis Hall in Stockholm, and a dinner at the Grand Hotel.

2006-11-21
Time off

Including this week, I will take some time off for three weeks. My physics trainer Daniel Hedin will come to Monaco December 13, and then we build up for Doha January 1 2007, the Australian Open, and Davis Cup against Belarus.

2006-11-21
My favourite year

A slight disappointment surfaces when I sum up 2006, and realize that Max Mirnyi and I ended just 29 points behind the Bryan brothers, and also the number 1 spot in the rankings. But still, 2006 is my best year ever as a doubles player. I have never before won eight tournaments in one season, and many of them with a special feeling about them, too: the one with McEnroe in San Jose, the French Open, and the play offs in Shanghai of course, and the one together with Thomas Johansson back at home in Båstad.

2006-11-21
A masterful ending

We became champions! Max Mirnyi and I won the final in the Masters play offs in Shanghai against Mark Knowles and Daniel Nestor, 6-2, 6-4. After the extremly tough semi final against Leander Paes and Martin Damm (7-6, 6-7, 7-6), we had worked up such a speed and touch that we really outplayed Knowles and Nestor in the final. We didn´t lose one match in Shanghai, but set up a perfect ending to the year that truly inspires us for 2007.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:23 AM   #109
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

www.jonasbjorkman.com

Quote:
2006-12-27
Off for a good start

The three weeks off that I had in late November and the beginning of December went extremly fast…! I started my practise December 13. It felt surprisingly easy to get going again. I feel strong, compared to the last two years when I have started very poorly due to sickness and injuries. One of my goals this season is to get a good start, especially important in the Australian Open in front of all the Swedish fans. It hasn´t felt good not to be able to pay them back for all the support they are giving.

I want to stay top 50 in the singles 2007. Max Mirnyi hasn´t won Australian Open, Wimbledon or Indian Wells, so that is our top concerns this year. I have still Rome to conquer.

December 26 I leave for Doha. We have a doubles title to defend. After that Australia, Davis Cup, Marseille, Dubai, Indian Wells and Key Biscayne.
But right now – it´s christmas!

I wish you a very merry Christmas and a happy new year! Thanks so much for all the support 2006!

Old 12-31-2006, 11:07 AM   #110
country flag Sommarsverige
on clouds...

Sommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond repute

There is an interview with Jonas on tennis.se

http://www.tennis.se/t2.aspx?p=119577&x=1&a=897624

Jonas says mainly that he has taken 3 weeks off from tennis after last season and that he practiced hard with Thomas Johansson and his physical coach in december.
Jonas goal for 2007 is to stay in the top 50 and to start the season better than last year.

They also asked him if 2007 will be his last year and Jonas answers that he takes one year at the time. It depends how his body feels after 2007 and how big his motivation will be to continue.

Pico Monaco ~ Edu Schwank ~ Machi Gonzalez ~ Dani Gimeno ~ David Marrero ~ Marc Lopez ~ Marco Chiudinelli ~ Marcel Granollers

I miss you on tour, Nors, Bjösse, Simon & Pim Pim
Sommarsverige is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:06 AM   #111
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

jonasbjorkman.com

Quote:
007-01-04
It has begun

The new season has begun. I beat Nicolas Almagro, Spain, 7-5, 7-5 in the first round in Doha, but lost 3-6, 4-6 in the second against Nikolay Davydenko, Russia. I was content with my own game, again, but he was incredibly strong. We will head for Melbourne next, and the Australian Open, where I, as I´ve said before, want to perform better in front of all the Swedish fans than I´ve done the last two years.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:21 AM   #112
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

www.jonasbjorkman.com
Quote:
2007-01-04
It has begun

The new season has begun. I beat Nicolas Almagro, Spain, 7-5, 7-5 in the first round in Doha, but lost 3-6, 4-6 in the second against Nikolay Davydenko, Russia. I was content with my own game, again, but he was incredibly strong. We will head for Melbourne next, and the Australian Open, where I, as I´ve said before, want to perform better in front of all the Swedish fans than I´ve done the last two years.

From us to all of you: a happy new 2007!

Old 01-11-2007, 07:08 PM   #113
country flag Nadie

Nadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond repute

find this on tennis.se

Vinn Björkmans racket!

Nadie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:53 PM   #114
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

www.jonasbjorkman.com

Quote:
2007-01-12
Tough draw

Unfortunately I got a very tough draw in the Australian Open. If I beat Olivier Patience, France, in the first round, I will face Roger Federer in the second. But I just have to handle it the best way possible. I have been training very well since I got here last Saturday, easy the first couple of days, much more intensive since then and up until now. It has been quite a few injuries and cases of sickness here, but I am spared so far, knock on wood.
My son Max will turn 4 y.o. on Monday, so we will have a party together with a few kids of other players and trainers on Sunday. A perfect preparation!

Old 02-11-2007, 11:23 AM   #115
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

www.jonasbjorkman.com

Quote:
2007-02-09
DC draw done

The draw for our Davis Cup tie against Belarus in Minsk this weekend is just done. Robin Söderling will face Vladimir Voltchkov in the first match tomorrow, before Thomas Johansson goes up against Max Mirnyi. Simon Aspelin and I will face Mirnyi and Voltchkov in the doubles on Saturday.
We might be slight favourites, but home ground and previous results are pro Belarus. It will be a tough task for us. They have won 10 out of 11 DC matches here, against nations such as Argentina and Spain. Max Mirnyi is their anchor, and he always plays fantastic tennis in Davis Cup. Voltchkov has been around a while and he has a great capacity, advanced to the semi final in Wimbledon five or six years ago and beat David Ferrer in straight sets here last year. Recently he has been playing fewer matches on the very top level, and that is a fact that we hope to use to our advantage.
We are ready to go. We really want to win so that we finally get a home game in the next round. The last one was four years ago when we beat Brazil 3-2 in Helsingborg.

2007-02-09
Likeable Minsk

Minsk is a pleasant surprise. A nice old city with similarities to both Stockholm and St Petersburg. The organizers are doing a great job. When we arrived last Sunday, the arena, built for indoor football with a capacity of 3 000-4 000 spectators, was already completely ready to use. Usually there is always some last minute preparations going on, but this time we have been able to practise in perfect conditions.

2007-02-09
Max the perfect host

We had lunch at Max Mirnyis newly opened restaurant today, and we will go there for dinner tonight as well. Let´s just hope that Max is not planting anything in our food... Max has been great these few days, asking us all the time if we have everything that we need or if he can help us with anything else. He is proud to have us here and to be able to present his hometown to us. Hopefully I will get some time to visit him in his home on Monday.

Old 02-17-2007, 10:09 PM   #116
country flag enqvistsangel

enqvistsangel has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistsangel has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistsangel has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistsangel has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistsangel has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistsangel has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistsangel has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistsangel has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistsangel has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistsangel has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistsangel has a reputation beyond repute

Showen fortsätter

SKA BLI AGENT Själv blev han blåst på flera miljoner kronor och efter tenniskarriären tänker Jonas Björkman bli agent som skyddar andra från att bli lurade. Men den 35-årige smålänningen ska inte lägga av än. En medalj i Peking-OS hägrar

”Spelar du fortfarande? Singel också?”
Det händer inte dagligen men ofta stöter Jonas Björkman på personer som känner igen hans nuna men har noll koll i övrigt.
– Ibland är jag sugen på att säga att jag la av för tre år sedan och börjat plugga juridik men samtidigt vill jag inte vara fräck.

Så du förklarar att du är näst bäste svensk på rankingen och att du så sent som förra sommaren var i semifinal i Wimbledonsingeln?
– Äh, de som inte vet det är ändå inte så intresserade utan vill nog mest snacka lite, så jag säger bara att jag håller på fortfarande.
Han har hållt på länge. Proffsdebut 1991 då han med sin 691:a plats på rankingen var 41:a bäste svensk. Att samma placering i dag räckt till en 13:e plats på Sverige-listan säger mycket om sportens tillbakagång i landet.

– Det ser inte lovande ut men jag tror ändå att det förr eller senare vänder igen. Titta bara på slalom där det varit jättetunnt i många år och där alla väntat på en ny Stenmark. Även om vi inte får någon sådan stjärna igen har det kommit fram nya killar, som bland andra Markus Larsson. Det är jättekul. Handboll och pingis är andra sporter som hamnat i svackor efter otroliga framgångar och också där kommer det säkert att svänga tillbaka.

Har du dubbla känslor av att vara snart 35 år och ändå näst bäste svensk på rankingen?
– Nej, det är bara häftigt. Samtidigt vet jag att både ”Tompa” (Thomas Johansson) och ”Pim-Pim” (Joachim Johansson) legat före mig om de fått vara hela. Det hade inte gjort mig något, tvärtom, jag är 46:a i världen och det skulle varit precis lika häftigt även om jag hade fler svenskar framför mig.

På listan över spelare med mest inpelade prispengar har han inga landsmän framför sig, ja, inte många spelare överhuvudtaget. Jonas har dragit in närmare 14 miljoner dollar, cirka 100 miljoiner kronor.
Du kallas ATM bland kompisarna?
– Ha, ha, vem har berättat det? ”Tompa” va? Haha, ja, jag får bjuda på det. Jo, ATM är ju en sån där penningmaskin och grabbarna tycker väl att jag fungerar som en sådan eftersom jag ofta toppar listan med prispengar. Jag brukar ju gå långt i dubbelturneringen och är ibland med och hugger i singel.
Tennisproffs har alltid förknippats med enorma prispengar men är sedan länge passerade av bland andra golfspelare och i dag tjänar halvtaskiga NHL-backar lika mycket som framgångsrika tennisspelare vilka dessutom har stora utgifter på resor.

Det var inte givet att Alvesta-sonen skulle bli tennisproffs även om han ville det och var helt såld då han som tioåring satt framför tv:n och såg Mats Wilander triumfera i Öppna franska.
Men till skillnad från Wilander och flera av de andra svenskproffsen kallades Jonas Björkman aldrig för underbarn och till skillnad från merparten av dem var han inte ett stort juniorlöfte.

Då andra 18-åringar spelade internationell topptennis lirade Jonas en liten turnering i Norrköping. Ändå var det just där allt började ta fart på allvar. Jonas var med i Team Wilander som leddes av coachen Fredrik ”Fidde” Rosengren.
– Jag hade spelat två matcher på kort tid och var trött. ”Fidde” gav mig två mackor och en dricka och sa att vi skulle åka för att träna. Det var bara att lyda och jag tränade i två och en halv timme.
Jonas ser med tacksamhet tillbaka på tiden tillsammans med Rosengren.

– Utan den hade jag inte kommit igenom. Det var ner i gruvan och så körde jag i fyra, fem år. Jag snittade 150 matcher per säsong vilket är enormt mycket och på så sätt härdade jag mig. Jag spelade små satellitturneringar där inte mycket fungerade och jag bodde på sjabbiga hotell i de skumma kvarteren. Det handlade bara om att överleva. Att bli så bra att jag kunde ta mig därifrån.

Tvivlade du aldrig på att du skulle lyckas?
– Hela tiden. Som liten var jag väldigt tillbakadragen. Jag satt i mitten eller längst bak i klassrummet. Jag räckte aldrig upp handen och ville inte synas eller höras. Det där hängde med länge och det dröjde innan jag började tro på mig själv. Men till slut insåg jag att jag faktiskt var bra i tennis.

Med denna insikt kom självförtroendet och efter det framgångarna. Eftersom stark självkänsla var något helt nytt för Jonas är det egentligen inte så konstigt att han inte kände sig helt trygg med den utan skaffade en attityd som av vissa uppfattades som egensinnig. Även om Jonas under den korta period som han ansågs vara svår skaffade sig en del kritiker hittade han snabbt rätt balans med sitt självförtroende. Han är sedan ett antal år en stor lagspelare och åtnjuter förtjänad respekt som sådan.

Han vet också att ta ansvar för sporten. Då han bjuder på sig själv gör han det lika mycket för sportens skull som för sin egen.
– Svensk tennis har ett enormt bra rykte utomlands och det är viktigt att vi som spelare i dag för vidare det Björn, Mats och Stefan representerade, säger han och tänker på de tre världsettorna Borg, Wilander och Edberg.

Själv var han fyra på singelrankingen för tio år sedan men trots det lär han – precis som Anders Järryd – en dag bli ihågkommen som främst dubbelspelare.
– Under en tid var jag trött på att kallas dubbelspecialist. Men ”Ante” och jag får väl skylla oss själva eftersom vi varit så dominerande i dubbel, säger Jonas som har 50 dubbeltitlar – varav nio Grand Slam– med 17 olika partners.
Han saknar bara en sak.

– En OS-medalj skulle vara stort. Jag och ”Pim-Pim” hade nog haft bra chans i Aten men så sträckte jag en magmuskel. Jag bara skrattade åt ”Pim-Pim” då han sa att vi får satsa mot Peking men nu är det bara drygt ett år dit så det kanske blir så. Jag vill gärna i alla fall.
Utöver skadan i Aten-OS har Jonas tvingats lämna återbud vid en handfull tillfällen under sina 15 proffsår och det trots att han spelar fler matcher än de flesta.

– Jag har en gynnsam spelstil där jag utnyttjar motståndarens kraft. Det plus att min kropp är härdad och att jag rör mig lätt är förklaringen till att jag hållt som jag gjort. Och så handlar det om tur också förstås. Men nu börjar det komma lite småskavanker som inflammation i axel och arm.
Han har planerna klara för livet efter karriären.

– Jag samarbetar nu med Daniel Wessfeldt på Podium som hjälper mig samtidigt som jag försöker hjälpa företaget att komma in i tennisen. Jag ser en framtid som agent där. Jag har lärt mig mycket av egna misstag och misstag som folk i omgivningen gjort.
En miss kostade Jonas flera miljoner i uteblivna sponsorsintäkter.
– När man blir topp-fem har man rätt att omförhandla sina kontrakt men den klausulen hade min dåvarande agent glömt i kontraktet. Därför fick jag spela vidare med samma ersättning som tidigare.
Från att ha varit tillbakadragen och tystlåten har Jonas Björkman blivit mer utåtriktad än något av de de andra svenskproffsen. Han lägger ut texten på presskonferenserna, älskar att uppträda och gör på spelarpartyn bejublade imitationer av både gamla och nya stjärnor.

Men det bästa betyger på sin begåvning fick han i ett annat sammanhang. Han är är kompis med Jan Rippe och de andra i Galenskaparna som förra året övertalade Jonas att uppträda som Madonna i Ladan i Båstad.

– Jag var hur skitnervös som helst. Galenskaparna är ju mina idoler och jag skulle uppträda med dem inför 1 500 pers. Ingen sa till publiken att det var jag som gjorde Madonna och efteråt var det några som tyckte att Anders Eriksson fått muskulösa ben. Ha ha.
Det blir fler shower med artisten Jonas Björkman. Både på och utanför banan.

Av Jonas Arnesen (SvD)

Karriär
Genombrott i dubbel 1995
Gjorde Grand Slam-debut i US Open 1993 och genombrottet kom två år senare – i dubbel.
I par med Jan Apell tog Jonas sju dubbeltitlar och duon debuterade i Davis Cup.
Det blev fyra raka DC-segrar under säsongen som avslutades med bortafinalen mot Ryssland där paret avgjorde. 1995 fick Jonas singeldebutera i DC sedan Magnus Larsson insjuknat natten före matchstart mot Danmark.
Jonas förlorade sin första singel men blev på söndag stor matchhjälte då han i den avgörande matchen vände 1–2 mot hemmafavoriten Frederik Fetterlein.
Hade sitt stora år 1997 då han tog tre singeltitlar och nådde semifinal i US Open och ATP-slutspelet, rankades fyra och avgjorde DC-finalen mot USA i dubbeln i hop med Nicklas Kulti.
Året därpå säkrade Björkman/ Kulti Sveriges senaste DC-titel borta mot Italien.
Har missat bara en Grand Slam-turnering sedan debuten (Öppna australiska 2003 då sonen Max föddes). Har sex ATP-titlar i singel och 50 dubbeltitlar.

Fakta: Jonas Lars Björkman

Född: 23 mars 1972
i Växjö.
Längd: 184 cm.
Vikt: 84 kilo.
Familj: Hustrun Petra, sonen Max, fyra år.
Bor: Monte Carlo.
Yrke: Tennispelare.
Tjänat: 13 461 699 dollar, runt 100 miljoner kronor (prispengar i karriären)
Stolt över: Familjen, Max utveckling och att jag aldrig ger upp.
Rädd för: Ormar och hajar. Jag har inte gillat vatten sedan jag som liten höll på att drunkna i simskolan och de där Hajen-filmerna fördärvade mig helt.
Glädjer sig åt: Att se andra människor glada.
Styrka: Positiv, blir sällan arg.
Svaghet: Dålig på att passa tider. Otålig. Jag skruvar på en Ikea-möbel i en kvart och sen lägger jag ner.
Oanad talang: Korttrick. Men Joe Labero som hjälpt mig lite tycker nog det är mer intresse än talang.
Teaterapa.

Det största som går att vinna i idrott: Titeln årets största idrottsman som senast gick till Federer.
Främsta upplevelse som åskådare: Då Hammarby säkrade SM-guldet i fotboll och när Tre Kronor slog Ryssland i VM –92.
Drömyrke: NHL-proffs.
Person i världen som du skulle vilja prova på att vara: USA:s president. Roger Federer.
Gud: Inte troende.
Vem eller vilka får Bragdguldet 2007: Någon friidrottare.

Favoriter
Film: Departed.
Politiker: Fredrik Reinfeldt, det är inget smilande utan enkelt.
Resmål: Safari i Sydafrika.
Klädesplagg: Jeans.
Idrottare: Federer.
Mat: Asiatiskt.
Dryck: Vin till maten.
Tv: Prison Break.
Aktuell: Världens bästa dubbelspelare som spelar Davis Cup mot Vitryssland i helgen.

Last edited by enqvistsangel : 02-17-2007 at 10:18 PM.
enqvistsangel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:47 AM   #117
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

http://www.jonasbjorkman.com/
Quote:
2007-02-21
Waiting for Dubai

I am back home in Monte Carlo, having a few days off before I go to Dubai on Thursday, where I will get Friday, Saturday and Sunday to acclimatise. Besides the singles, I will play together with Tommy Haas for the first time in the doubles in Dubai. He is an awesone singles player, and also really good at the doubles when he plays. Max Mirnyi is becomming a father for the second time and have stayed at home in Minsk. Hopefully we play together in Indian Wells again.

2007-02-21
Very pleased

I am very content with the results and the way I have been playing the last few weeks, with the victory against Belarus in Davis Cup, and then last week when I reached the quarter final in Marseille. I lost against Gilles Simon after having one break up and serving for first set. When he eventually got the first set, he started to play even better, at the same time as I felt more tired. Simon then went on to beat Robin Söderling in the semi final and Marcos Baghdatis in the final. Before Marseille, Simon had lost in the first round four tournaments in a row, which certainly shows how fast and decisive everything can turn around in tennis.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:57 AM   #118
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

http://www.jonasbjorkman.com/

Quote:
2007-03-05
Indian Wells next

I am on my way to Indian Wells after a weekend at home in Monaco. I lost early in the doubles in Dubai together with Tommy Haas, against Zimonjic and Santoro, 2-6, 5-7, who then went on to win the title. I played unusually weak tennis, I don´t know why, but I will now have three days to find my fine form from earlier again, before Indian Wells starts on Friday. Max Mirnyi and I were planning to play together again now, but Max is still back home in Florida waiting for their child to be born, so we have to wait and see.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:08 PM   #119
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Petra Mirnyi However the story about Max isnt true for sure.
JB was playing with Todd, it was just bec they liked the name.

Quote:
It's A Girl: Mirnyis Welcome Second Daughter

By Tennis Week
03/09/2007

The Beast has embraced another beauty. Max Mirnyi, nicknamed "The Beast", and wife Ksusha welcomed their second daughter to the world. Petra Mirnyi was born at 11:39 p.m. on Thursday in Florida weighing in at about seven pounds.

Both mother and baby are healthy and happy. The baby's birthday carries special significance in the family's native Belarus: March 8 is "Women's Day" in the country.

The baby's name honors Mirnyi's extended family: doubles partner Jonas Bjorkman and his wife, Petra. The Bjorkmans named their son "Max" in honor of Mirnyi. Max Bjorkman celebrated his fourth birthday in January. The Mirnyis named their daughter "Petra" after Petra Bjorkman.

The couple's first child, daughter Melashka "Melanie", was born on Dec. 16, 2004 and both daughters are destined to follow in their father's footsteps in at least one way: "Max" is the middle name for both Mirnyi daughters.

Mirnyi, ranked No. 1 in doubles, is still entered into the Indian Wells doubles draw with Bjorkman. The Beast and father Nikolai are planning to fly to California later today in an effort to play the Pacific Life Open. Bjorkman and Mirnyi reached the Australian Open doubles final in January, bowing to the Bryan brothers, 7-5, 7-5.

Last edited by Björki : 03-11-2007 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:34 PM   #120
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

jonasbjorkman.com

Quote:
2007-04-02
QF and DC

Max Mirnyi and I lost a close quarter final in Miami against Martin Damm and Leander Paes, 6-7, 3-6. They went on to take Bob and Mike Bryan to a very exciting super tiebreak in the final. Right now, I am looking forward to our Davis Cup tie against Argentina this weekend with huge anticipation - finally a DC tie on our home ground!