Articles, News, Quotes ... - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-08-2006, 11:13 PM   #91
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Björki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Articles, News, Quotes ...

Bjorkman and 'The Beast' Devour Opponents, Move into Men's Doubles Final

by Brian Cleary
Friday, September 8, 2006

Jonas Bjorkman and Max Mirnyi, the No. 2 seeds, are one imposing doubles team. Mirnyi, of Belarus, whose nickname is “The Beast,’’ is 6-foot-5, has a booming serve and one of the biggest wingspans you’ll ever see across the net. Bjorkman, from Sweden, who reached the singles semifinals at Wimbledon this year, has quick hands, great volleys and one of the games best return of serves. In the semifinals Friday they overwhelmed their unheralded opponents, Ashley Fisher of Australia and American Tripp Phillips, 6-1, 6-4.

Fisher-Phillips did all they could, employing a number of different formations, including both staying back to return serve and the classic Australian doubles formation when serving. But they couldn’t withstand the power of Borkman-Mirnyi, who own 80 doubles titles between them. Fisher has one doubles title in his career, and Phillips none.

“They complement each other so well,’’ said Phillips earlier in the tournament of Bjorkman-Mirnyi. “Bjorkman returns so well. Mirnyi has just incredible reach around the net. It makes them very tough.’’

Fisher-Phillips were surprise semifinalists. They had only played six tournaments together this year before the Open. Tripp served to open the match and he was broken right off the bat, and again the next time he served. Bjorkman-Mirnyi capitalized on Tripp’s three doubles faults. In the second set, Fisher began serving for his team, but Bjorkman-Mirnyi broke him right off the bat as well. Later in the set Fisher-Phillips had a chance to break back, their one break-point of the entire match, but couldn’t convert.

Bjorkman-Mirnyi move into the finals, looking for their first US Open title as a team. They each have won the title with different partners, Mirnyi in 2002 with Mahesh Bhupathi, and Bjorkman in 2003 with Todd Woodbridge. Bjorkman-Mirnyi own two Grand Slam titles together, having won the French Open twice.

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/rep...748983593.html

Bryans || Djokovic || Paire || Chiudinelli || Nalbandian || Hanley || Rojer || Nadal
Söderling || Verdasco || Wawrinka || Simon || O. Rochus || Leo Mayer

Björkman || Arthurs || Edberg || Rafter || T.Johansson || M.Norman || Aspelin
Björki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2006, 02:21 PM   #92
country flag Kristen
MTF. Never changes!

Kristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond repute

Wheelchair tennis catching on at Grand Slam events
(This has bugger all about Jonas, but it combines two of my great 'tennis loves' (JB and wheelchair tennis ) so I'm posting anyway

Quote:
NEW YORK — When Robin Ammerlaan played on one of the outer courts at Wimbledon during the championships this year, so many spectators came to watch that his match was moved from Court 15 to Court 2.

"They were hanging on the flower boxes," the Dutch player said.

Considering that his event, men's wheelchair tennis, wasn't part of any of the Grand Slam events just a few years ago, that is saying quite a bit.

"I think it means recognition from the people who love the sport," said Ammerlaan, the No. 2 seed in the event who defeated Robin Vink 6-2, 6-4 yesterday on Court 10.

Wheelchair tennis will be part of the French Open next year, among the mix of juniors and seniors events held in conjunction with the major. This year at the U.S. Open, siblings Eileen and Mike Kraft watched a men's semifinal before going into Arthur Ashe Stadium for the women's semifinals.

"I'm just impressed by their athleticism," Eileen Kraft of Tarrytown said.

The game is a little different. Since it is more difficult to propel a wheelchair and wield a racket at the same time, players are allowed two bounces. Other than that, the lines, service rules and points are pretty much the same.

"I know plenty of able-bodied players who couldn't do this," Mike Kraft of White Plains said. "I don't think this is a charity event, these are world-class players."

Ammerlaan won the gold medal in men's singles at the Paralympic Games in Athens, and was competitive in the able-bodied version of the game before losing the use of one of his legs after back surgery. But wheelchair tennis has given him access to a world it would have been difficult to see otherwise.

"If you go into the locker room, Roger Federer, Jonas Bjorkman are talking to us," Ammerlaan said.

♥Jonas Björkman Jim Thomas♥
Larsson ~ Legner ~ Scheffers ~ Kruszelnicki ~ Cattaneo ~ Jonsson ~ Andersson
Kristen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 08:40 AM   #93
country flag Kristen
MTF. Never changes!

Kristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond repute

Some of you might be interested in this...
[ http://www.thejakartapost.com/detail...912.W01&irec=1 ]
Quote:
Todd Woodbridge: Spreading his passion for tennis to the young
Bruce Emond, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta

There was not a dry eye in the stadium when Andre Agassi -- the only men's player of the last 30 years to win all four Grand Slams -- ended his career at the US Open in New York City last week.

It was a fitting farewell for the 35-year-old American, who in recent years had shorn the frosted wild-child locks and Vegas showman attitude of his youth to emerge as a reformed and revered grand older man of the ATP Tour.

But when Todd Woodbridge closed out his professional career as the winningest men's doubles player of the professional era that began in 1968, his penultimate match was played and lost on lonely Court 17 at Wimbledon 2005.

The only outpouring of emotion was his own: The Australian covered his head in a towel and cried.

"Your whole life has been spent thinking about winning a tournament, you're very driven, and then you decide there won't be anymore of that. It's a big hole," Woodbridge, also 35, said in Jakarta, where he was coaching juniors and corporate VIPs at the invitation of Bank Commonwealth.

He does not begrudge for a moment the attention and plaudits heaped on Agassi, for he is a confirmed fan.

"It was well-deserved," Woodbridge said. "What I loved about him, not only in playing against him but as a spectator, was that he was a real person, and he understood life; what it is to be famous, but also to respect people."

Agassi talked about the joy of not having to live out of a suitcase anymore; Woodbridge, who is married with two children, proudly announces that he "hasn't been bored once during the past 12 months". The tour, he added, can be a lonely place, a "head-to-head, dog-eat-dog world" that can support few friendships.

Today, he is focused on new challenges -- TV commentating in his homeland and motivational speaking. He also coached his former doubles partner, Jonas Bjorkman, to the Wimbledon semifinals at the age of 34.

Woodbridge won 83 tournament titles, including a record nine Wimbledon crowns.

It's one more than the legendary Doherty brothers, who collected their titles in the 1900s, when the defending champion did not play through the tournament but waited for the winner to play the Challenge Round.

He knows his distinguished place his history, his partnership with Mark Woodforde putting him in the long tradition of Australian men's doubles champions dating back to Frank Sedgman-Ken McGregor, Lew Hoad-Ken Rosewall, John Newcome-Tony Roche and the more recent Paul McNamee and Peter McNamara.

As for doubles not getting sufficient respect, increasingly sidelined by the glare of attention placed on singles and the controversial final-set, sudden-death tiebreak, he is not concerned.

"I have had plenty of respect. I would like to see a little bit more of a focus on doubles sometimes, but the thing for me is that tennis is a complete game -- it's singles, doubles, mixed doubles.

"There are all these different shots you have to learn ... But it (doubles) is never going to be the number one part, you have to be realistic ..."

Woodbridge now talks about spreading his "passion" for the game to the younger generation, including in Asia. With the advance of the Chinese women on the WTA Tour, and Asians getting bigger and taller, he believes they will come to hold their own on the court.

"I always felt that in the past Asian players were intimidated by the traditional tennis nations -- the Americans, the Australians and the French. I think that once the Chinese crack the big time, then other Asians will say, 'Well, if they can do it, then so can I'."

From playing with his parents at their local tennis club in Sydney, his love of the game was kindled at the age of six, when he got to hit with Ken Rosewall.

"He was my inspiration," he said of the famously graceful and gracious Aussie, who reached his first Wimbledon singles final at the age of 19 in 1954, and his final one 20 years later. "He still loves the game more than any man or woman I have ever seen ..."

He was a five-time junior Grand Slam doubles champion with Jason Stoltenberg, but realized that the latter was not that interested in the pairs' game. He then turned to Woodforde, a left-hander five years his senior.

They won Wimbledon in 1993, the sweetest victory of his career because he finally could say he was a champion of the world's most prestigious tournament.

A perfect doubles partnership, he said, hinges on a marriage of opposite strengths. "I always looked for partners who did the things well that I didn't ... I did that with Mark -- right-hander and left hander, he was calmer, I was more spontaneous on court, so our personalities and temperaments jelled."

When Woodforde retired in 2000, Woodbridge turned to the Swede Bjorkman, whose aggressive game had given him fits.

He likes to joke that it was, in a way, an extension of the "Woodies", for 'bjork" means wood in Swedish. They won Wimbledon in 2002-2004.

The partnership is also about communicating. "It would be tough for me to play with somebody I disliked ... it would be difficult to put that aside to concentrate on the match".

He knows that tennis today has its problems. For one, the efforts to control the all-powerful serve -- through heavier balls and slower courts -- have given rise to baseline slugfests, with players increasingly reticent about moving into the danger zone of the net.

Woodbridge admits the game is more "boring" without the classic baseliner-net rusher rivalries of Evert-Navratilova, McEnroe-Borg and Becker-Wilander.

"It's trying to change the game to become more attractive, but in essence it's actually detracted from it ... you've taken an element and a style, the aggressor, out of the game ..."

There is also another problem, the dearth of tennis courts for young players. Woodbridge he has seen it in his native New South Wales, with courts swallowed up by urban development.

"If you could get tennis courts in areas where the average person could play; get young kids on tennis courts instead of basketball courts, but there are just not enough courts."

The Woodies were a household name in Australia, and two years ago he relocated his family from the U.S. to Melbourne. It was a practical decision; he knows his reputation and achievements carry a much greater cache there for his future.

But, even as one of the modern greats of the game, Woodforde does not stand on ceremony or pull rank. As he left Saturday for Bali for more appearances and clinics, he bypassed the special transport for business-class passengers to stand with the rest of the strap-handlers on the bus ride to the plane.

There were no double-takes, no Agassi-like clamor for autographs from the most successful man in men's doubles.

And he did not seem to mind one bit.

Last edited by Kristen : 09-25-2006 at 05:48 AM. Reason: The picture changed :tape:
Kristen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 08:00 PM   #94
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Björki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond repute

jonasbjorkman.com

Quote:
2006-09-22
Not brazzed off!

The Davis Cup tie against Brazil starts today in Belo Horizonte, 1 000 meters above the sea. It looks fairly good for us. We have a good spirit in the team, and compared to earlier this summer, when we had injuries and poor form, our situation has improved. Andreas Vinciguerra is in the middle of a very promising comeback with three finals and one win in the challengers. He looks very strong and confident, and he is always tough to play against, never gives up. He will face Flavio Saretta in the first match, the same Saretta that he beat in his last DC match three years ago and thereby gave us a 3-2 victory. Robin Söderling will take on Ricardo Mello, while Simon Aspelin and I will play against Gustavo Kuerten and Andre Sa in the doubles on Saturday.
I believe that the high altitude will work a little bit to our advantage.
The ball flies faster, your serve gets more importance, and that is good for a player like Robin Söderling who has really heavy ground strokes.
The fact that Gustavo Kuerten is in the Brazilian line-up guarantees sold out stands, 8 000 spectators, and it will be a great atmosphere.

Bryans || Djokovic || Paire || Chiudinelli || Nalbandian || Hanley || Rojer || Nadal

Old 10-04-2006, 06:59 AM   #95
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

http://tennislife.com/06-editorial/0...1-feature.html

Quote:
Doubles Delight
As seen in the May/June 2006 issue

Bjorkman & Mirnyi
By Sandra Harwitt

What makes the pairing of Jonas Bjorkman and Max Mirnyi stand apart from most of the other full-time doubles players on the tour is that they both remain solid singles players as well.

The reigning French Open champions, both Bjorkman and Mirnyi have had tremendous success in the doubles arena.But both came to their love of doubles in a very different way.

For Bjorkman, who grew up in Sweden, playing singles and doubles was a decision based on being a copycat: "That was the way I was told and learned how to play. Everyone at the time when I started and that I was looking up to was playing both. I was told to be a good singles player you had to play doubles – you needed to be able to play from the back and to be comfortable at the net. Doubles was a great game to learn how to play good volleys and good reaction."

For Mirnyi, who learned the game under the Soviet rule in Russia, thinking in a doubles frame of mind was a matter of having no choice: " It started out for me at a very young age and I was limited to court time. We had one indoor court for 20 kids and you were made to play doubles, or mixed doubles, and sometimes, even triples. So when I became older it was normal for me to play doubles."

As a regular team these days, they compliment each other in their serious work ethic and meld their different strengths – Mirnyi is the guy with the serve, Bjorkman the guy with the return-of-serve.

Not surprisingly, their statistics speak volumes for the fact that doubles is a crucial element of their careers.

In total, Bjorkman has won six Grand Slam doubles titles and Mirnyi has reeled in three during his career. Both are currently top five doubles players and just successfully defended their NASDAQ-100 Open title with a victory over the world No. 1 brother act of Bob and Mike Bryan.

Among the reasons the two have gravitated to doubles is that it prevents boredom if you lose early in singles at a tournament, and it also provides a forum to work on your game in a competitive setting.

But, as mentioned, singles has also been a top priority.

Bjorkman, at age 34 remains a top 75 ranked singles player, but back in 1997 enjoyed a career high singles ranking of No. 4. He's won six titles, reached the singles semifinal of the 1997 U.S Open as well as five other quarterfinal appearances at the Grand Slams.

Mirnyi has ranked as high as No. 18 in singles, has won one singles title and reached the 2002 U.S. Open quarterfinals.

According to Bjorkman, today's players are missing the boat by skipping out on doubles.

"The singles competition is getting stronger and stronger each year, and unfortunately, a lot of the coaches are telling players that playing doubles is taking too much energy out of you," Bjorkman said. "We need to get the coaches to change their approach."

These days both are family men – Bjorkman travels with his wife, Petra, and 3-year-old son, Max, while Mirnyi travels with wife, Xenia, and 16-month-old daughter, Melanie.

And although they get along extremely well both on-and-off the court, where their interests divide is when it comes to down time.

For Mirnyi, who occasionally trains with his younger brother Peter's basketball teammates at Manatee Community College in Bradenton, Fla., he'll exchanges his racket for a guitar, where he will pick out some favorite tunes of 1980's Russian rock stars.

And it wouldn't be out of the ordinary to find Bjorkman lacing up a pair of ice skates and holding a hockey stick in lieu of a racket as he takes up a defensive left-wing position in a pick-up hockey game.

Old 10-12-2006, 09:04 PM   #96
country flag Chris-swede

Chris-swede has a reputation beyond reputeChris-swede has a reputation beyond reputeChris-swede has a reputation beyond reputeChris-swede has a reputation beyond reputeChris-swede has a reputation beyond reputeChris-swede has a reputation beyond reputeChris-swede has a reputation beyond reputeChris-swede has a reputation beyond reputeChris-swede has a reputation beyond reputeChris-swede has a reputation beyond reputeChris-swede has a reputation beyond repute

FROM JONAS' MESSAGE BLOG ON ATP WEBSITE:

Hi there!

I lost to Robin Soderling in the second round of Stockholm Open today, 6-0, 6-2. The evil virus-infection that Petra and Max have been carrying for a while now has really jumped on me too. I had no energy at all. But to be honest that probably didn’t have an impact on winning or loosing, but maybe if I had felt better it would have given me a few more games at least.

This evening, two of the Swedish fans that have supported us Swedish players in Melbourne and the Australian Open during the years (they are both loyal and loud!), nicknamed “Candle” and “Pippi”, came to visit at our hotel, and handed over a bottle of champagne and a few Davidoff cigars. The reason was, that we made a bet some time ago, about which of our favourite football teams, their AIK or my Hammarby, both from Stockholm, would win the derbys between them this season. Needless to say, Hammarby won them both… Almost an embarrassingly easy way to earn the glory, and a zip of champagne… They are both great guys, just not so clever when it comes to football…

Speaking of football. I just watched the Swedish national team win their fourth straight victory in the qualification for the European Championships 2008, 2-1 away against Iceland. Despite injuries and internal trouble, they have found the form that has made them so successful since the late 90s - only three losses in the qualifications for the European and World Championships since 1998 for example. Great to see that the team spirit is back.

And speaking of spirit… I think I have to consider employing my son Max as my mentor! After my poor performance today, he told me: “Dad, it’s okay. Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose. I do that too!”

Max really loves tennis. They have mini tennis courts for the kids at Stockholm Open. Yesterday he played there for almost two hours, the queues were starting to build up behind him, but he just didn’t want to stop… He was still charged up when we came back to the hotel, and it took some time to get him to sleep. With the benefit that we all slept in, until 8.30 this morning…

John McEnroe and I had a seminar with the sponsors and the business elite at lunchtime today. I really like that kind of gathering; they are both interesting and entertaining, and they always broaden your horizons a little bit.

At the seminar, McEnroe said, jokingly, that he is worried that I will be a little bit too kind against my good friends Joachim “Pim-Pim” Johansson and Thomas Johansson in the doubles tomorrow. He is here to win, he wants to show why he is considered to be a legend! The moderator asked him if the mix between a “Mr Nice Guy-on the court” and a “Mr Not So Nice Guy-on the court” makes the perfect balance, and from what I could hear, John agreed.

Our doubles match tomorrow is sold out! It’s even impossible to get tickets on the black market! It would be such a fantastic feeling if we could show our best side and win.

When we came back from the tennis tonight, Max said: “What a nice house we have," about the hotel. What else can you do but agree…

Another late night, another room service dinner.

Alright, nighty-nighty, talk to you tomorrow (and if you can’t sleep, visit my web site jonasbjorkman.com...)

Jonas

Joachim Johansson * Andreas Vinciguerra* Jonas Björkman* ToJo* Robin Söderling* Oliver Rochus* Christope Rochus* Jarkko Nieminen* Fernando Gonzalez* Feliciano Lopez*Igor Andreev*Catalin Gard*Kristof Vliegen*Kristian Pless*Kenneth Carlsen*Juan Ignacio Chela*Steve Darcis*Kevin Anderson*Henri Kontinen*Henri Laaksonen*Daniel Berta*Rik de Voest*Niels Desein*Fernando Verdasco*Arthur de Greef*'David Goffin*Yannik Reuter*Erling Tveit*Devin Britton*Micke Kontinen*Christian Lindell*Erling Tveit*Robbye Poole*Henri Laaksonen*
Chris-swede is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:49 PM   #97
country flag Sommarsverige
on clouds...

Sommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond repute

I just love his blog

Pico Monaco ~ Edu Schwank ~ Stan Wawrinka ~ Dani Gimeno ~ David Marrero ~ Marc Lopez ~ Marco Chiudinelli ~ Marcel Granollers

I miss you on tour, Nors, Bjösse, Simon & Pim Pim
Sommarsverige is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 07:30 AM   #98
country flag Chris-swede

Chris-swede has a reputation beyond reputeChris-swede has a reputation beyond reputeChris-swede has a reputation beyond reputeChris-swede has a reputation beyond reputeChris-swede has a reputation beyond reputeChris-swede has a reputation beyond reputeChris-swede has a reputation beyond reputeChris-swede has a reputation beyond reputeChris-swede has a reputation beyond reputeChris-swede has a reputation beyond reputeChris-swede has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone!

I wish that you all had been in Stockholm tonight. John McEnroe and I beat Andreas Vinciguerra and Johan Landsberg 6-3, 6-2 in the first round of the doubles in Stockholm Open.

But it was not the result that was the most important thing this time. It was the atmosphere. Sheer magic. Bjorn Borg and Stefan Edberg were both there.

The lights were turned down, then turned on when each of us walked on the court. The three of us “ordinary” players got great ovations, but when John McEnroe made his entrance, everyone got on their feet and gave him a standing ovation that lasted for several minutes. It seemed that it would never end. John had to thank the audience two, three times before we even started to warm up…

I think that some people might have doubted that McEnroe is still capable of delivering first class competitive tennis, but if so, they were all surprised how very good he was moving, returning, and playing his volleys.

We were supposed to play against Joachim “Pim-Pim” Johansson and Thomas Johansson tonight, but Thomas’ wife Gisella is expecting their first child, so they had to cancel.

Before the match, Bjorn Borg came into our locker room, and it was a thrill just to see them together again, and hear them catch up, talking about old times, their current situation, our upcoming match tonight, and their own form and the match that they are going to play against each other in Dubai in three weeks time.

You know, in this world of tennis, when you are part of happenings like this, it feels like you are part of history…

John and Bjorn had dinner together last night, and they both agreed that they have to spend more time together from now on.

The atmosphere was just incredible tonight, and I am sure that it will be at least as good tomorrow when we face Simon Aspelin and Todd Perry. It will be very tough. They are fighting for a place in the Masters play offs, and they lost in the semifinals in San Jose, so I am sure that they are very keen on beating us this time.

Earlier today, I stopped by the former Swedish international football star Tomas Brolin’s restaurant Undici in the centre of Stockholm to hold a speech together with other Swedish athletes, and that is also the place where we are going to have a late dinner tonight.

My son Max learned how to fold and throw a paper plane from Michael Llodra yesterday, and he wouldn’t stop showing me how to do it today (Max, that is!). We also played hide and seek, and Max hid behind the same curtain every time, totally impossible to find!

This was a mind blowing day, and I can’t wait to find out how everything turns out tomorrow.

Take care, and talk to you soon again!

Jonas

Joachim Johansson * Andreas Vinciguerra* Jonas Björkman* ToJo* Robin Söderling* Oliver Rochus* Christope Rochus* Jarkko Nieminen* Fernando Gonzalez* Feliciano Lopez*Igor Andreev*Catalin Gard*Kristof Vliegen*Kristian Pless*Kenneth Carlsen*Juan Ignacio Chela*Steve Darcis*Kevin Anderson*Henri Kontinen*Henri Laaksonen*Daniel Berta*Rik de Voest*Niels Desein*Fernando Verdasco*Arthur de Greef*'David Goffin*Yannik Reuter*Erling Tveit*Devin Britton*Micke Kontinen*Christian Lindell*Erling Tveit*Robbye Poole*Henri Laaksonen*
Chris-swede is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 12:00 AM   #99
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Jonas

Old 10-15-2006, 12:43 AM   #100
country flag MarcelaTauro

MarcelaTauro has a reputation beyond reputeMarcelaTauro has a reputation beyond reputeMarcelaTauro has a reputation beyond reputeMarcelaTauro has a reputation beyond reputeMarcelaTauro has a reputation beyond reputeMarcelaTauro has a reputation beyond reputeMarcelaTauro has a reputation beyond reputeMarcelaTauro has a reputation beyond reputeMarcelaTauro has a reputation beyond reputeMarcelaTauro has a reputation beyond reputeMarcelaTauro has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the article .

Im new here and i really enjoy Jonas game..

Migani-Zeballos-Pella-Prieto-Arnold-Nalbandian-Guzman-Dabul-Malisse-Volandri

·Marcela Tauro and Marcelo Polino·
MarcelaTauro is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 07:14 PM   #101
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

2006-10-26
On my way to Paris

Thomas Johansson and I lost yesterday against Mahesh Bhupathi and Mario Ancic, 6-3, 3-6, 11-13, in St Petersburg. We had one match point and could have won as well, despite a tough draw, but we didn´t have enough luck on our side this time.
I will go to Paris tomorrow to prepare for one of the last tournaments of the season.

2006-10-23
Doubles with Thomas J

I reached the semi final in Madrid last Friday together with Max Mirnyi, where we lost Mark Knowles and Daniel Nestor 6-4, 6-4. We got a poor start in both sets, and that was enough. Still, we got a few good bonus points, since we didn´t play at all in Madrid last year. This upcoming week I will just play together with Thomas Johansson in St Petersburg. That gives me a chance to finally get rid of a stubborn cold, so I can arrive in Paris totally fit.

www.jonasbjorkman.com

Old 11-03-2006, 10:03 PM   #102
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

2006-11-03
Semi in Paris

I am in the semi final with Max Mirnyi in Paris. In the first round, we played really poor tennis against Cermak and Damm, but managed somehow to save six match points and win, 2-6, 7-6, 15-13. Then we beat Dlouhy and Vizner 6-3, 6-4, and we started to function more normally again. In the semi final tomorrow we will face Clement and Llodra, who always are dangerous, especially on their homeground.

2006-10-31
Focusing on the doubles

I lost a very tough three hour match against Nicolas Almagro in Paris yesterday, 7-6, 6-7, 6-7. No breaks in the first two sets, even if I had my chances in the second, and 7-7 and my serve in the second tiebreak. Almagra hits the ball very hard, and yesterday he served approx 20 aces, scoring points with his serve at crucial moments. Unusually, I made several easy mistakes from my backhand, and as the matched progressed, I started to get passive, waiting for his mistakes. Obviously, it showed that I have been slightly injured or ill since the tournaments in USA, and I miss the flow and feeling and confidence that you get from beeing fit and play a lot of matches.
Max Mirnyi and I are determined to do a good show in the doubles here, so that we can go to the playoffs in Shanghai with a with a great confidence. We are playing against Cermak and Damm on Thursday.

www.jonasbjorkman.com
Old 11-06-2006, 01:47 PM   #103
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

2006-11-06
Semi and out in Paris

Max Mirnyi and I lost the semi final in Paris against Llodra and Clement, 3-6, 4-6. We hade our chances to break them and get into the match and find our own best game, but we didn´t manage to take advantage of them, and we simply didn´t play as good as we can.
We are now aiming for Shanghai this upcoming weekend, where we want to perform better. I am leaving for Shanghai already on Tuesday.

www.jonasbjorkman.com

Old 11-15-2006, 12:51 PM   #104
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

NEWS November 15, 2006

Bjorkman & Mirnyi Edge to Knowles-Nestor in Gold Group

By Sandra Harwitt

It didn’t come easy for Jonas Bjorkman and Max Mirnyi, but they improved their record in the Gold Group to 2-0 with a hard fought 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-2) win over Mark Knowles and Daniel Nestor.

The match was a constant nail-biter as both teams were battling for a 2-0 record in the group. But in the end, it was Knowles and Nestor who had to settle for a 1-1 record.

“Well, we're very happy and pleased with the win because we had some tough matches this year with them - winning some, losing some,” Bjorkman said. “The problem we had is that we've been coming off to bad starts every time we play them, and it's not ideal when you play such a good team. The good part was that we fought well and that's a strength in our team. We managed to come back. With a little bit of luck, we managed to win that second set and turn the match around.

“In the third I think we were the team who had more chances and closer to come up a break. You know, we just finished it off with a great tiebreak.”

It took a monumental effort but Fabrice Santoro and Nenad Zimonjic (audio) elevated themselves to 1-1 in the Red Group with a 6-3, 6-7 (4-7), 6-3 win over Mariusz Fyrstenberg and Marcin Matkowski, a win that took two hours, 15 minutes to earn.

For Santoro, who won this title with Michael Llodra last year, a partnership where the partners get along is an essential ingredient.

“It doesn’t matter who’s playing well, who’s playing not very well this day,” Santoro said. “We have to be a team and just try to be positive even when we are in trouble.

“When I’m playing bad, he’s here to support me, and if he’s in a bad day, I’m here to support him. We have to try to be positive and take the chance when they are there.”

And the partnership between him and Zimonjic seems to be working well in their debut season together.

After taking the first set, Santoro and Zimonjic surrendered a 4-2 lead in the second set to eventually lose the set in the tiebreaker. Racing to a 4-1 lead in the third set, the twosome was able to hold on to their advantage to place themselves at 1-1 in the round-robin standings.

And in case you’re wondering if Santoro and Zimonjic are hanging out off the court – they had dinner just the other night with Santoro picking up the check. But Santoro made sure to say that it would be Zimonjic’s turn to pay on Wednesday night.

Old 11-16-2006, 07:24 AM   #105
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

TENNIS MASTERS CUP

November 13, 2006

Jonas Bjorkman
Max Mirnyi

SHANGHAI, CHINA

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. You are one of the three pairs that doesn't change according to last year's Masters Cup.
MAX MIRNYI: The streak doesn't change?

Q. It doesn't change, your pair, according to last year's Masters Cup. There were eight pairs. Only three of them doesn't change according to last year's Masters Cup.
JONAS BJORKMAN: As a team?

Q. Yes, as a team. I'd like to know, how can you maintain such a consistent cooperation?
MAX MIRNYI: I think the easiest and the most natural answer to this is to look at the results of teams. The ones that are satisfied with their results end up staying together, and the ones that tend to not work well together, they lose more matches; therefore, they look for different opportunities, different matchups. That's why teams break up. You normally don't ever see teams separate when they had the results at least we've had in the last two years.
So, you know, we have a similar approach as to our tennis. We both play singles and doubles and help each other when there is a need for it. That's why I think we've had good success in the last two years.

Q. Can you talk about the match today.
JONAS BJORKMAN: Yeah, I think we got off to a good start in both sets and didn't make too many errors. The only few mistakes we did was at good times in the game, early in the games. Returned well. I think we played a solid match in general, not too many mistakes, and took our chances and kept very solid at the net.

Q. A question for Max. You played mixed doubles with a Chinese player in Wimbledon. I wonder, how did you meet each other, and how did you make this agreement?
MAX MIRNYI: Actually, the first time we played was at the US Open -- I mean at the French Open this year. I was just planning on playing as much tennis as I can during that time of the season, that's clay courts. It is not always that I do well in singles there, so I was hoping to find a mixed doubles partner, but I had no idea that she was that good.
My father approached maybe their team manager who travels with them, and it was a great approach. Actually, a Swedish coach, a friend of Jonas', told me that she was available, Thomas Hogstedt, who's helping the Chinese women's tennis. So it was this kind of a connection at the French Open.
You know, I have no look-backs, no regrets. It was a great experience, and I hope we can play again and maybe win one of the Grand Slams.

Q. Do you pay attention to what's going on in the other group? If so, what do you make of Bob and Mike's loss yesterday? Is it too early to say, "Maybe they're not on top of their game here"?
JONAS BJORKMAN: No, I think you follow both the singles and the doubles results yesterday, watching the matches, and take notes of what happened.
But, you know, it's just too early to say, obviously, because it's such a long way to go. I think everyone has been in the situation of losing the first one, coming back strong and, you know, end up winning.
You know, in a tournament you're not supposed to play your greatest matches in the early stage, you know; you need to save it to the last. It's just too early to say.

Q. Max, could you say a little bit more about Jie Zheng?
MAX MIRNYI: Well, we got on the right foot very quickly. There were a few miscommunications in the beginning when I was thinking she understands what I'm saying, but she's so shy and polite that she never, you know, she never told me that she doesn't understand, so there was a few mis-matchups. When I said left, she thought right, and the other way around.
But once I figured this out -- her coach told me that after the first match at the French Open, that, you know, I should tell her and then she explains. But then, you know, basically a month later at Wimbledon she spoke so much better English that I didn't need to speak to the coach.
It was a great experience, but that was really the only thing that I can point out. She's a great player. I think she'll be at the top of Chinese tennis for a long time. Hopefully, she's not far from being at the top of the world. They've already done so well in doubles. We see more and more Chinese players coming up and starting to dominate, so I think it's a matter of time before she'll be as successful in singles.

Q. Max, just like you said, China's women's doubles players have done a great job this year. The country's men's players are so far in a very low level. Do you think they could or should more focus on doubles just like Jie Zheng does?
MAX MIRNYI: Well, I think any successful sport has to come up and thrive on good tradition. You know, we know that China for a long time was part of a different regime, and table tennis, for instance, was much more popular than tennis. So I think it's the beginning of a long-term success for China because we see that very quickly women's tennis is making an impact just for the reason that maybe it's a little bit less competitive as a whole than the men's tennis.
So I'm sure that the work is being done, and it's a matter of time before we'll see more men's players coming out. But the women are setting up a great tradition for the sport in this country, and I'm sure there will be many more to follow.

Q. (Through translation .) Max, you once were ranked No. 18 in the world in men's singles. That was your best record. It seems to me right now you focus more on doubles instead of singles. Does that mean you actually shift a lot more to doubles now? Also, throughout the whole match today you and your partner really talked quite a bit. Does that mean that actually your partner, Jonas, because of his age and also experience, really is more experienced in that sense and you need to get advice and suggestions from him?
MAX MIRNYI: Well, any good -- any doubles teams tend to communicate, and, you know, we're no different. A lot of little elements need to be discussed on the doubles court.
But as far as my primary focus, trust me, you know, if I could choose to be playing singles here at this tournament, I would give anything I have for this. Not always that you get something that you want, and it's a long process, something that I work for. My focus hasn't shifted from singles in any way. It certainly is getting more difficult because we all get older, and more and more young players are coming up. Different variables. The game is just advancing so quickly.
But I still believe in myself, stay strong with both singles and doubles. It's just by the virtue of having a good partner, good attitude, I have better doubles results than singles results. But I pay attention to both.

Q. Since you cooperate so smoothly, any common interests in your spare time off the court?
MAX MIRNYI: Well, it's such a technology-oriented world we live in now. I think with the computers and everything that's involved with the high tech, you know, we try to keep up and maybe have the latest models of Canon camera, but I always have a tough time keeping up with Jonas.

Q. Bjorkman, your son's name is Max. Does it have anything to do with Mirnyi?
JONAS BJORKMAN: You put me in a position where I have to say yes now (smiling).
MAX MIRNYI: I don't think he's got the winningest record against anybody in singles, and he's beaten me nine times. There's a reason why he calls his son that (smiling).
JONAS BJORKMAN: We thought it was a good name for our son, so we're pleased with it, as well. You know, he's a true tennis lover already, trying to follow our matches as much as he can. You know, unfortunately, they're not here but, you know, we see them next week.

End of FastScripts
http://www.asapsports.com/