Articles, News, Quotes ... - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-16-2006, 01:20 PM   #46
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Björki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Articles, News, Quotes ...

more from JB
Quote:
2006-06-16
Good start in Queens

Max Mirnyi and I won our first match in Queens yesterday, beating the brits Jamie Delgado and James Auckland 6-7, 6-4, 10-6. We should have won in straight sets if the judge hadn´t made a wrong call on a set point in the first set, but we played steady tennis and were never threatened in our own serve. We will play against James Blake and Mardy Fish next. They both have good form in the singles so we have to watch out.

2006-06-16
We´re closing in

Max Mirnyi and I are really closing in on the Bryan´s. They are still ranked as no. 1, but we are second, just 7 points behind following our victory in Paris. Now, we are looking forward to a good tournament in Queens, and then winning the title in Wimbledon and step up to first place in the rankings. That is a perfect plan!

2006-06-16
Work on my game

My doubles game are very good at the moment, but not my singles. I need to focus on that, to practice and above all win a few matches and find my rhythm and competitive touch again. I will therefor play and practice a lot with Todd Woodbridge and Thomas Johansson the upcoming weeks.

Bryans || Djokovic || Paire || Chiudinelli || Nalbandian || Hanley || Rojer || Nadal
Söderling || Verdasco || Wawrinka || Simon || O. Rochus || Leo Mayer

Björkman || Arthurs || Edberg || Rafter || T.Johansson || M.Norman || Aspelin
Björki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2006, 07:01 AM   #47
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Björki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond repute

Bjorkman/Mirnyi Take No.1 Spot in Stanford ATP Doubles Race

Jonas Bjorkman and Max Mirnyi Fresh off the successful defense of their Roland Garros title, the doubles team of Jonas Bjorkman and Max Mirnyi has moved into the No. 1 position in the Stanford ATP Doubles Race.

Bjorkman and Mirnyi replaced Bob and Mike Bryan in top spot after the Bryans fell in the semifinals of the Stella Artois Championships and Bjorkman/Mirnyi advanced to the final.

“It’s a long way to go,” Bjorkman said. “We’ve been closing the gap since the start of the year. It’s probably going to be the same tight race like it was last year.”

By reaching the final, Bjorkman/Mirnyi hold a four-point lead over the Bryans, 654-650.

“It certainly feels good to be the leader of the Race, but at the same time, it’s important to keep improving your game and just work week to week,” Mirnyi said. “The more successful matches we have, the better for us.”

http://www.atptennis.com/en/doubles/news/racelead1.asp

Bryans || Djokovic || Paire || Chiudinelli || Nalbandian || Hanley || Rojer || Nadal

Old 06-19-2006, 07:01 AM   #48
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

The fourth-seeded tandem of Paul Hanley and Kevin Ullyett upset the second-seeded team of Jonas Bjorkman and Max Mirnyi 6-4, 3-6, 10-8 (Match TB) to take the crown at Queen’s. This is the fourth title this season for the duo. They have taken crowns at ATP events in Rotterdam, Dubai and Hamburg.

This is the team’s first Queen’s title together but Ullyett’s second doubles title in the last three years. He captured the 2003 crown with then-partner Wayne Black.

With today’s win they will overtake the third-place team of Mark Knowles and Daniel Nestor and will sit in third place in the Stanford ATP Doubles Race. Previously the team sat in fourth place, just 23 points behind Knowles and Nestor.

Bjorkman and Mirnyi finish as runner-up for the second year. Last season they fell in the final to Bob and Mike Bryan. But by finishing one round ahead of the Bryans, who fell this year in the semifinals, Bjorkman and Mirnyi take over the lead of the Stanford ATP Doubles Race.

Ullyett said: “To win this feels good. We started off a bit shaky this week going to a third set tie-breaker but after that we really got on a roll and played some of our best tennis. It was great to beat both the Bryans in the semifinals and Bjorkman/Mirnyi in the final. They’re the top two teams in the Race and it gives us lots of confidence going into Wimbledon.”

Hanley said: “Kevin and I have a pretty good record in the super tie-break so whenever we go into one we feel like we have a good chance. It was a little up and down but we tried to stay in the match and to our credit we never gave up. It was great to win an event, especially to beat two of the top pairs in the world.”

http://www.atptennis.com/en/doubles/news/

Old 06-20-2006, 05:57 AM   #49
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

from JB:
Quote:
2006-06-19
On top of the world!

The good news first: Max Mirnyi and I are now ranked as the worlds best doubles tennis team, since Bob and Mike Bryan just reached the semi final in Queens, while we reached the final.
Then the not so good news: Max and I lost this weekends final in Queens against Kevin Ullyett and Paul Hanley in a very close match, 4-6, 6-3, 8-10. It didn´t come easy for us this week. We lost the first sets, came back to win the second sets, and the played really good super tiebreaks to win the matches. The final was nearly exactly the same. They broke our serve twice and got 3-0 directly in the first set. We broke them at 3-2 in the second set, and then played good into the super tiebreak. We really should have won it, we had a 5-3 lead, and 8-6 with a serve of our own, but unfortunately we made a few tactical mistakes that we will talk about and correct until Wimbledon starts.
This was the first time that we lost a super tiebreak. Not the best timing maybe, but let´s see it this way: now we have more to give in Wimbledon. And I also think that we have a slight psychological advantage against the Bryan´s.

2006-06-19
Single in Nottingham

This week I will play the singles in Nottingham. I have fond memories from this place, having won the tournament twice, and I hope that this can help me to improve my singles game. I have to be more consistant, make less easy mistakes, and control the frustration I sometimes feel over the fact that I can´t quite manage to play as good in matches that I do when I´m training. It would be great for my game and confidence just to win a few matches. That would ease the tension that you build up when you don´t live up to your full potential.
I will play against the Argentinian Agustin Calleri on Tuesday. He is a hard hitter and good on hardcourt, so it won´t be an easy match. But the sweeter the victory!

Old 06-21-2006, 12:31 PM   #50
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

more...
Quote:
2006-06-21
Successful crappy tennis

I won against Agustin Calleri in Nottingham yesterday, 2-6, 6-1, 6-3. I tried to play my aggressive grass tennis at first, but then he almost blew me off the court, passed me all the time, had more than 20 winners. When he broke my serve immediately in the second set, I decided to play "crappy" tennis: stayed at the back of the court, sliced the ball, played slow first serves. When I didn´t hit the ball hard, and didn´t give him a high tempo to respond to, he almost paniced. I continued my variation and won six straight games, and kept on frustrating him in the decisive third set.
Very important for me to win again.

Hopefully I can make that a tradition against the Czech Jiri Vanek today. I beat him 6-4 3-6 6-4 7-6(4) in our only match so far, in Australian Open in 2000.

Old 06-22-2006, 05:26 AM   #51
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

McEnroe to Reunite with Bjorkman in Stockholm

John McEnroe will return to the ATP circuit in October when he partners Jonas Bjorkman at the if… Stockholm Open. McEnroe stepped out of retirement earlier this year when he and Bjorkman won the SAP Open title in San Jose – McEnroe’s 78th career doubles title.

“It feels extremely good to return to if… Stockholm Open, which has always been one of my favorite tournaments,” McEnroe said. “I’m also looking forward to playing with Jonas and our goal is without a doubt to win the tournament.”

McEnroe made his last appearance in the Royal Tennis Hall in 1985. He won the Stockholm doubles title in 1979 with Peter Fleming, and has captured the singles crown on four occasions (1978, 1979, 1984 and 1985).

If… Stockholm Open was founded in 1969 and will hold its 38th edition of the event from October 7-15, 2006.

Last edited by Björki : 06-22-2006 at 05:32 AM.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:30 AM   #52
country flag Kristen
MTF. Never changes!

Kristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond repute

LMAO at him and his crappy tennis!!!
Nice work Jonas

Poor Max... Playing with Mac? I dunno... I mean, exciting for tennis, but I have a huge soft spot for Max...
Kristen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:47 AM   #53
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Max isn't playing Stockholm he plays Moscow so JB needed another partner.
However I would prefer Max as well.

Old 06-23-2006, 07:01 AM   #54
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

more ...
Quote:
2006-06-22
QF in Nottingham

I will play against Feliciano Lopez in the quarter finals today after beating Jiri Vanek yesterday, 6-3, 6-3. Feels great. Important for me to be winning again after a down period. I played smart against Vanek with good variation, and thought through attacks to the net. You have to play very effective volleys here, otherwise they will pass you immediately.
Feliciano Lopez is an aggressive player with a good serve, and like me he has found his game again in this tournament. It can go either way. But have got the taste for winning now...!

2006-06-22
With McEnroe in Stockholm Open!

We´ve been talking about it for some time, and now it´s decided: I will bring John McEnroe with me to Stockholm Open this year, and we´ll be there to win the tournament!
It was a fantastic experience to play with John McEnroe in San Jose earlier this year. It was his comeback to the ATP tour, and it couldn´t have turned out in a better way. We won the tournament then, and it feels very special for me to get the oppurtunity to play with John again, and maybe repeat our success, on my homeground in Stockholm.
John McEnroe is a legend. An extraordinary tennis player. But also with a certain kind of magic arround his personality. To play side by side with him is a great honour for any player on the tour today.
We found each other on the court in a very natural way in San Jose. We think about tennis in the same way and use our instincts and feeling. It will be much more difficult to win in Stockholm than in San Jose. Stockholm Open is twice as big, and 3 or 4 of the 10 best doubles teams in the world comes to the tournament every year. But we come to win, anything else is out of the question.
Regardless if we will go all the way or not, it´s going to be a great "homecoming party"!

Old 06-23-2006, 06:09 PM   #55
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Gasquet Reaches First Final in 2006; Faces Bjorkman

© Getty Images

Jonas Bjorkman Defending champion Richard Gasquet moved into the final of the Red Letter Days Open in Nottingham as the 20-year-old defeated Robin Soderling 7-6(7), 7-6(5) in one hour, 36 minutes.

The Frenchman, who improved to 9-0 at the grass court event, is looking to bounce back from a slow 2006 start. In September 2005 Gasquet reached his career-high ranking No.12 but an elbow injury sidelined him for the rest of the 2006 season.

Gasquet, one of only three players to defeat Federer in the past two years (Rafael Nadal and David Nalbandian are the other two), had failed to advance past the round of 16 in his first 11 tournaments this season.

En route to the final, Gasquet defeated qualifier Ivan Navarro Pastor of Spain, Italian Daniele Bracciali, countryman Gilles Simon and Sweden's Soderling..

Gasquet will next face Jonas Bjorkman, who breezed past Andreas Seppi 6-3, 6-1 in one hour, 11 minutes. The Swede veteran will battle Gasquet (14 year younger) for the first time in his career.

Bjorkman, who is coming off a Rolang Garros doubles title with Max Mirnyi, chose to compete exclusively in the singles draw this week. The last time the 34-year-old advanced past the quarterfinals of an ATP event was in Ho Chi Minh City in September 2005, when he captured his sixth career-title.

The former World No. 4 improved to 6-10 in the season and 381-317 in his career.

http://www.atptennis.com/

Old 06-23-2006, 06:22 PM   #56
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Bjorkman on course for unique treble

After watching Richard Gasquet (France) narrowly clinch his place in tomorrow’s final, the second semi-final of the Red Letter Days Open provided spectators with another gripping display of world class grass court tennis.

Having watched his opponent, the world no.72 Italian, Andreas Seppi defeat British no.2 Andy Murray yesterday, Jonas Bjorkman, the 34 year-old Swede and twice winner of the Red Letter Days Open title (1998 and 2002) knew today would be a stern test of his grass court play.

Bjorkman, whose career ATP titles include six ATP singles titles took the first set 6-3 in a match that was to be packed with hard hitting serves, long rallies from the baseline and deft drop shots.

The second set continued with long rallies, Seppi keeping his nerve to win his first service game despite relentless pressure from the experienced Bjorkman. In the second game, Bjorkman fought back to 1-1 then broke Seppi’s serve to lead 2-1 and draw loud applause from the appreciative and sizeable centre court crowd.

Seppi fought hard with powerful forehand and backhand drives but it was an inspired Bjorkman who took the next game to lead 3-1. After taking the second set to 4-1 in the second set it seemed that after just 1 hour and 2 minutes of play, the world no. 77, who last captured a singles title in Vietnam last year, was on course to seal his place in tomorrow’s final.

After taking his game with serve to lead 5-1, Bjorkman was in touching distance of setting up a thrilling final against young gun Gasquet. After 71 minutes of play it was indeed Jonas Bjorkman who advanced into the final with a 6-3, 6-1 win over the young Italian.

Bjorkman said, “I surprised myself today. I’ve been playing better and better (here this week) and was very happy to come through against (Agustin) Calleri in the first round and then another (match). It’s all about confidence … I just had the goal of getting through the first round.”

After defeating Seppi he added, “The game is never over until it’s over … I keep fighting for every point which is mentally tough for your opponent because they know you are not going to give up until the last ball.”

Bjorkman commenting on his opportunity to win a third title said, "It would be nice but then again I don’t think anybody has ever won a back to back title (that Gasquet will be chasing).”

“The grass courts are getting tougher and tougher these days … it’s quicker here than at Stella or Wimbledon … which suits my style. I think (the Red Letter Days Open) allows me to create my style of shots … it’s always nice to come back to a place where you have won.”

Bjorkman has been drawn against fellow countryman Thomas Johansson in first round at Wimbledon and said, “I have the worst draw … I’d almost rather play Federer than play Thomas who is my closest friend. The draw could have been better for me.”

http://nottingham.lta.org.uk/News/060623Bjorkman.htm

Old 06-27-2006, 10:16 AM   #57
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

from jonasbjorkman.com
Quote:
2006-06-26
Fantastic week

I am in Wimbledon after a fantastic week that exceded all my expectations in Nottingham. I went all the way to the final, but lost 6-4, 6-3 against Richard Gasquet. I had chances to break his serve in the first set, but he managed to turn it around, and when he won the first set, he could play even more relaxed and be one step ahead of me in the second set. All in all, it was still a super week that brought me to 59th place in the rankings.
In Wimbledon I have to play against Thomas Johansson in the first round. Worst imaginable draw for us both, since we are not just best friends, but also training together with Todd Woodbridge to improve our game right now. One of us will feel the pressure to go far from the other one, when he has the nerve to beat his buddy...
It is raining. Thomas and I will probably play on Tuesday. The doubles will probably start on Thursday.

Old 07-02-2006, 09:07 AM   #58
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Mike Bryan
Quote:
One of our chief rivals for the title, Jonas Bjorkman and Max Mirnyi, are having an incredible tournament. They have both made it to the fourth round of singles - where they will play each other - and Jonas is playing mixed, too. So far he's played three singles, two doubles - all best-of-five-set matches - and one mixed. That's a great effort for a guy who is 34. He's a great physical specimen, has legs of steel. If I had his legs I'd be Top 10 in singles, but I was given stick legs.

Old 07-02-2006, 09:09 AM   #59
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

from JB site
Quote:
2006-06-30
Great form

My form from Nottingham is intact. I am through to the third round in Wimbledon after beating Lukas Dlouhy on Thursday, 6-3, 6-4, 4-6, 1-6, 6-4. I controlled the first two sets, but he broke my serve early in the third, took a lot of chances and suddenly he was on a roll. I waited for his mistakes that never happened, and I served poorly until the fifth set, when I found my timing. In the fifth set, I managed to get an early break and keep that lead. He was very unpredictable, could do three big mistakes in a row, and then hit five fantastic winners. Those kind of players are hard to control, an it is easy to get passive against them. But it was a good sign that at could play my best tennis when I needed it the most, in the fifth set.
I will now play against the Italian Daniel Bracciali on Friday. He is a really good grass player, beat Dominik Hrbaty in the first round. I am sure that it is going to be a close call, but he meets an old fox in a great form...!
Max Mirnyi will play against James Blake at the same time, and later we have a doubles match against Jiri Novak and Tomas Cibulec. It is a tight schedule due to the rain, let´s´just hope that we get time to recover enough between matches.

2006-07-01
Just better and better

I am starting to feel like a vintage wine - just getting better with age! On Friday I advanced to the last 16 in Wimbledon after beating the Italian Daniele Bracciali, 7-5, 6-2, 6-1. First set was the key to victory. He served for the set at 5-3, but I managed to break back and win four straight games. When I broke his serve early in the second set, he started shaking his head and making gestures to himself, having his missed oppurtunity in the first set fresh in memory. From then on, I could control the match, never letting him get back to his rhytm or into the match again. I was one step ahead and forced him to play to difficult. A bonus that I could win in three sets, considering the tight schedule.
I was on a roll, so Max Mirnyi and I continued the trend and beat Jiri Novak and Tomas Cibulec in three sets, 6-3, 6-2, 6-2.
The draw is quite amazing this year. First Thomas Johansson in the first round, and on Monday I will face Max Mirnyi, who beat James Blake in five sets.
Everything feels just great right now!

Old 07-04-2006, 05:41 AM   #60
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

J. Bjorkman Interview - Day 7
Monday, 3 July, 2006

Q. The two oldest remaining players, two doubles partners, two serve and volleyers. What do you think? Great achievement today?

JONAS BJORKMAN: Max is not that old (laughter).

Q. The two oldest remaining.

JONAS BJORKMAN: Oh, okay. He's still not 30, so we shouldn't put him there. Yeah, I mean, it's always tough to play your doubles partner. It's been kind of weird. You know, I played my best friend in the first round, have to play Max in my fourth round. We just tried to go out and may the best man win. It ended up being very close. You know, I'm just glad I got through.

Q. Question of serve and volley. Nowadays...

JONAS BJORKMAN: Well, it's hard to play serve and volley these days obviously because it's a lot slower and the ball's a lot bigger. Everyone is much stronger from returning point of view. It's not easy. But when we play each other, it's always quite a lot of serve and volley because we both can take advantage of it. It all depends who you play, how much you can play serve and volley. But it's nice to at least still be able to do it here and there.

Q. The fact it went to five sets, does that make your chances, the two of you winning the doubles, a bit harder? You've tired yourselves both out?

JONAS BJORKMAN: I'm not sure. You know, tomorrow we're going to play doubles, so it's not going to affect us I think for tomorrow. Hopefully, I mean, we quite used to the situation. We've been in the situation before, which is good. We just need to do the same procedures: taking care of the body well after the matches, try to prepare as good as we can for tomorrow.

Q. Is it going to be a bit strange, the fact tomorrow you're going to be on the same side the day after you knocked him out?

JONAS BJORKMAN: Unfortunately, we have played each other quite a lot. Key Biscayne we had the same situation last year. I think you get used to it. We try to make it as simple as possible, don't talk about it too much. We just focus on the doubles when we're ready to play tomorrow, and don't mention my singles too much, just make it easy.

He's such a good guy, he's a great partner, a true friend. I try to make it as easy as possible.

Q. Did you feel during the match it's an advantage for you having beaten him nine times in ten matches?

JONAS BJORKMAN: Not really because I felt really good after going up two sets to love. Unfortunately, I had a couple chances to go up a break, then screwed up a bit, lost my serve, lost my momentum. That's very tough against Max because he always lifts himself, lifts his game up. Had the same situation in the fourth set, got down a break. Started to serve not as good, couldn't really keep up with my tactics. Once we got into the fifth, it felt like it was wide open. You know, the good part was that I managed to put myself together and get up a break and be on top of him a little bit more. I think that was the key.

Q. How do you feel physically, singles, doubles, mixed?

JONAS BJORKMAN: I feel good. You're winning, you always feel good. No, it's always tough playing five sets obviously. But today wasn't too many rallies. I was more tired after my second round than today.

Q. Which is the secret to be in the quarters at 34?

JONAS BJORKMAN: No expectations, I guess. I had a lot of expectations going into the year and hoping that I could play well. Been practicing really good, been feeling good in practice, but I haven't been able to perform well in matches. Then you lose confidence. I think you just have to drop the expectations a little bit. Going into Nottingham, I didn't have any expectations on winning. I was just trying to perform and fight to the last point. If that was going to be the last one that I won, that would be great, you know. I managed to win a couple matches there and got my confidence back. Confidence is a lot in tennis. It's such an advantage if you can keep winning, feeling good. That's been happening right now. Even going into Wimbledon, I didn't have any expectations. So I think I've been putting less pressure on myself and try to enjoy the moment of being here because obviously I know well my age, but I don't have too many more Wimbledons, and that's why I need to be even more in a situation that I'm going to have to enjoy it.

Q. How can the doubles help the singles?

JONAS BJORKMAN: I've been very strange because I haven't been able to take advantage on my success in doubles. My doubles has been going great for the last couple years. Even if my singles has been up and down, I haven't really been helping as much.

I think in the past, I had a huge advantage of getting used to the bigger courts because of my early success in doubles. I think also I'm used to play a lot of matches. Makes me mentally very strong with singles and doubles. That's probably been a big key for me through my career. But I wish in a situation like this year, I've been winning a lot of doubles, but I could take a little bit more advantage of it and lift it over to my singles. But it hasn't been working. But now it's going well, so...

Q. How do you fancy your chances in the quarterfinal?

JONAS BJORKMAN: Against Stepanek?

Q. Yes.

JONAS BJORKMAN: Well, Stepanek has just been playing better and better. I mean, last year he had a great year. This year has been very solid, consistent. He plays well on all surfaces. You know, obviously going to be tough to play him because he's one of those guys who's knocking on the door to be a solid top 10. You know, I have to play really good tennis to beat him obviously. I did beat him end of last year, and obviously that's going to help me going into the match. But I still think that I can do it. Even though he's a big favorite, I still feel that I have a slight chance.

Q. Do you think your involvement in doubles could harm your chances of progressing in the singles?

JONAS BJORKMAN: No, not really. I have nothing to play more today. Tomorrow I will have a doubles. Hopefully that's just going to help me to get the body going a little bit. Sometimes I can be quite stiff the next day. If you only do a little practice, it doesn't really help. So for me, I'm so used to play a lot, I think if I keep winning, I'm going to feel great going into Wednesday because it's nice to win matches. That's what I'm hoping to do tomorrow.