Articles, News, Quotes ... - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-15-2006, 06:50 AM   #16
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Björki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Articles, News ...

from Jonas homepage

Quote:
2006-03-13
Surprisingly bad

I lost to the Australian Open finalist Marcos Bagdatis in the second round in Indian Wells, 4-6, 3-6, on Sunday. I´ve played really good tennis the last few days, have hit the ball perfectly, but I lost that feeling today, and just played bad: to many easy mistakes; to many ups and downs when I was serving. Very disappointing. Max Mirnyi and I are playing against Jose Acasuso and Sebastian Prieto, Argentina, on Tuesday.

2006-03-13
Desert storm

Strangely bad weather here in Indian Wells lately. Normally it´s warm and pleasant, but now we have had the worst storm in 50 years with a lot of rain and temperatures down to 7 degrees celsius, which has distracted and delayed the schedule. The surrounding mountains usually keeps this kind of weather away, but once the storm found its way over the mountains, it seems that it can´t find the way out again. The mountains are covered with snow!

2006-03-13
Promising victory

I beat Christophe Rochus, finallist in Rotterdam, with 6-2, 3-6, 6-2, in the first round in Indian Wells. I´ve practised 10 hours Monday to Wednesday the past week, and I´ve started to hit the ball really well again, found that feeling.

Bryans || Djokovic || Paire || Chiudinelli || Nalbandian || Hanley || Rojer || Nadal
Söderling || Verdasco || Wawrinka || Simon || O. Rochus || Leo Mayer

Björkman || Arthurs || Edberg || Rafter || T.Johansson || M.Norman || Aspelin
Björki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2006, 01:56 PM   #17
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Björki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond repute

from JBs Homepage
Quote:
2006-03-17
Semi final in Indian Wells

Max Mirnyi and I have advanced to the semi final in Indian Wells. We beat Zimonjic and Santoro in a quarter final that became as close as I had anticipated: 4-6, 7-6 (7-5), 10-5. Again we proved an ability to win the really decisive points. There will be two top semi finals. Simon Aspelin and the Bryan brothers in one of them, and Max and I against Mark Knowles and Daniel Nestor in the other.

2006-03-16
QF next

It starts to look good. Max Mirnyi and I played really well when beating Justin Gimelstob and Stephen Huss in the second round in Indian Wells, 7-5, 6-1. We will now face Fabrice Santoro and Nenad Zimonjic in the quarter final. They are both ranked within top 12 in the world.

2006-03-15
Close victory

Max Mirnyi and I beat Sebastian Prieto and Jose Acasuso in the first round of the doubles in Indian Wells, 6-7, 7-6, 10-3. A tough match, but we played our best tennis when we needed it the most: in the second set tiebreak that we won 7-0, and in the decisive super tiebreak. I hope that this victory can inspire us to reach our true capacity. We will play against Justin Gimelstob and Stephen Huss on Wednesday.

Bryans || Djokovic || Paire || Chiudinelli || Nalbandian || Hanley || Rojer || Nadal

Old 03-19-2006, 06:08 AM   #18
country flag Kristen
MTF. Never changes!

Kristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond repute

I was so wrapped up in Vinciguerra/Marach/Koubek this week that I forgot about-
a) Indian Wells
b) the doubles draw there.

Those are 4 excellent teams! But I hope and expect the Americans to go down LOL!

♥Jonas Björkman Jim Thomas♥
Larsson ~ Legner ~ Scheffers ~ Kruszelnicki ~ Cattaneo ~ Jonsson ~ Andersson
Kristen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 06:10 AM   #19
country flag Kristen
MTF. Never changes!

Kristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond repute

Noone should ever ask me for betting advice.

Semifinals
(1)Bob Bryan/Mike Bryan (USA) d. Simon Aspelin/Todd Perry (SWE/AUS) 7-5 6-2
(3)Mark Knowles/Daniel Nestor (BAH/CAN) d. (2)Jonas Bjorkman/Max Mirnyi (SWE/BLR) 7-6(5) 6-1

Old 03-20-2006, 12:50 PM   #20
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

from Jonas homepage
Quote:
2006-03-20
Promising defeat

Max Mirnyi and I lost the semi final in Indian Wells against Knowles and Nestor, just like last year, 7-6, 6-1. Hopefully that will mean, just like last year, that Max and I move on to win the title in Miami.
This was a well played match, and much closer than it might seem. We just didn´t manage to get the decisive points on our side. They have won here three times before, and it seems that they have that little extra luck that is necessary to win here, besides that they are one of the best and most consistent teams in the world, of course.
No breaks in the first set - although we had four chances. The tiebreak was also close. Our only mistake came on the set point, when we made the wrong tactical move. We got ourselves five chances to break their serve in the second set, but it just couldn´t be done today. But we have played much better than in a long time this week, really working to improve a few details in our game. I think we will be even better next week, and that our déjà vu lost here will be followed by a déjà vu win in Miami!

Old 03-26-2006, 10:54 AM   #21
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

from JB's Homepage
Quote:
2006-03-24
A title to defend

Rain has delayed the schedule in Miami. Max Mirnyi and I will probably enter the tournament on Saturday against Lopez and Verdasco. We have a title to defend from last year, and it would be great if we could do that and capture our first major title this year. It looks good, we played much better in Indian Wells the other week than earlier this year.

2006-03-24
No energy left

I am starting to feel really worn out from travelling and playing almost every day since December 27. During this period I have just been back home for two days. I lost against the young Czech Robin Vik yesterday, 6-4, 6-4, and felt early on that I just didn´t´have any energy left, even though I hit the ball well.

2006-03-24
Perfect set up

It will be great to come home after Miami and have two weeks without any matches before Monte Carlo Open, and then another two weeks off after the tournament, before I am going to Rome and Hamburg, then resting one more week before the French Open. That mix of relaxation and building up new strength will be perfect for me before I go into the grass tournaments. I am looking forward to it already!

2006-03-24
No McEnroe in Båstad

There were som hopes that John McEnroe would come to play the doubles in Båstad, Sweden, this summer. But that will not happen. He will work for TV during Wimbledon and feels that he can´t get enough time to prepare, especially since Båstad is on clay, which never was McEnroes home turf so to speak. The possibility that we will play another tournament together later this year is still there. If so, most likely in the USA.

Old 03-28-2006, 07:29 AM   #22
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

JB writes a lot these days
Quote:
2006-03-28
QF in Miami

Max Mirnyi and I are through to the quarter final in Miami, after beating Garcia and Etlis 6-3, 6-2. We are a hot item now! At least it feels like the practise time we got together in Indian Wells meant a lot. Especially tactically: we could take about how we shall act in different situations, and try a few new things. We have found our way back to our own game, and we are playing our best tennis of the year. Our returns are good, we are really strong in our own serve, we play much more aggressively, and dare to risk more. We have found a way of playing that suits us, also considering the new supertiebreak system. We will play against skillful Damm and Stepanek next.

2006-03-28
A good start

Max Mirnyi and I got a flying start of the tournament in Miami, when we beat Fernando Verdasco and Feliciano Lopez, 6-1, 6-1 in the first round. Feels god to start up in such a convincing way. We will play against Gaston Etlis and Martin Garcia in the next round.

2006-03-28
Hawkeye in focus

Everybody is talking about the "linesman" Hawkeye here in Miami: a filmcamera linked to a big flatscreen TV that shows wether the ball was in or out. If they are uncertain, the players can request the point to be rerun on the flatscreen, and everybody in the arena can see where the ball touched down. Its a good thought. An extra dimension for the fans, and no more room for hesitation or arguments among the players. Hopefully this possibility will be availiable also for players outside the centrecourt.

Last edited by Björki : 03-29-2006 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:32 AM   #23
country flag Kristen
MTF. Never changes!

Default Re: Articles, News, Quotes ...

This stuff always freaks me out:
2006-03-24
Quote:
No energy left
I am starting to feel really worn out from travelling and playing almost every day since December 27. During this period I have just been back home for two days. I lost against the young Czech Robin Vik yesterday, 6-4, 6-4, and felt early on that I just didn´t´have any energy left, even though I hit the ball well.
But, I'm really glad he and Max are doing well in doubles
Not long til Max is back in Australia

Old 04-01-2006, 08:00 AM   #24
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

more from JB
Quote:
2006-03-31
Semi in Miami

Max Mirnyi and I are through to the semis (for the second time in a row) in Miami after beating tough opponents Radek Stepanek and Martin Damm, 6-4, 6-3. We work very well together now, everythings runs smoothly and confident. Our goal is to defend our title from last year, and to win our second title in 2006. We will probably face Bob and Mike Bryan in the final, if we make it there.

Old 04-02-2006, 01:59 PM   #25
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Miami BJORKMAN-MIRNYI/Bryan-Bryan
6-4, 6-4

An interview with:

JONAS BJORKMAN and MAX MIRNYI

THE MODERATOR: They're the first team to repeat here since the Woodies, who won three years in a row from '95 to '97.

Q. You'll be back, right?

JONAS BJORKMAN: For a three-peat, hopefully (smiling). You won it three out of four years.

MAX MIRNYI: Yes.

Q. Can you talk about today's match and what went right for you.

JONAS BJORKMAN: We played great the whole tournament, actually. We've been playing very consistent, very solid. We had maybe not the perfect start of the year. We won some matches but we didn't maybe play the way we wanted to. We did some adjustments after losing in Vegas, did some extra practice in Indian Wells, and made the semis, which was good, then we started to get some improvement.

This week we played exactly the way we wanted to. I think best tournament performance we've done.

Q. But specifically today, what shots were working? What did you do well?

JONAS BJORKMAN: No, just tactically we played smart. We made a lot of balls back in play. You know, we were very aggressive at the net. There was not really one particular shot. We just in general, in doubles, there's so many shots that you need to have right.

We played our best at the right times when we needed it.

Q. You were one-and-four against them going in, according to the record.

MAX MIRNYI: Okay.

JONAS BJORKMAN: Yeah.

Q. Did you have a different approach going in today? Obviously, they've been successful against you.

MAX MIRNYI: Well, it's only the record states from when Jonas and I played together as a team. But Jonas, individual, and so did I played them so many times. I wasn't even aware of the record.

We knew that they are a good team and we were just approaching this match with a lot of respect, yet we knew we were capable of beating them because we've done it so many times - individually and as a team at the French Open.

Like Jonas said, we've worked on a few things that we needed to improve based on the beginning of the year and we're happy with how we were doing it throughout the whole tournament. Today was just another good display of us, how we want to play doubles. We're happy that we're capable of executing what the game plan was.

Q. Jonas, you just turned 34.

JONAS BJORKMAN: Yes.

Q. I guess you're the oldest male singles and doubles player, right?

JONAS BJORKMAN: No, not in doubles. That's for sure.

Q. Playing both.

JONAS BJORKMAN: Playing both?

THE MODERATOR: Probably. Highest ranked.

Q. Martina tomorrow is in the finals and she's 49. Any comments on that?

JONAS BJORKMAN: I'm not gonna be around that long, guarantee you that (laughing).

Q. Sure of that?

JONAS BJORKMAN: Absolutely. I have so many things I'm looking forward to after the game of tennis. I mean, tennis is a sport that I love so much, and I'm going to miss it once I decide to step aside and do something else.

But tennis is not everything. I have a great family, I will be around a lot more. And having a new situation of doing a lot of things around the tennis and still be part of tennis but doing other stuff.

Q. Have you announced any plans?

JONAS BJORKMAN: No, no, no, not really. I mean, you know, the way we're playing right now, I have a feeling why stop when you're so successful.

We had a great rivalry with Mike and Bob last year going head-to-head all the way to the last two tournaments, who was gonna be the No. 1. Singles, I managed to come back after dropping out of the hundred for the first time in 12, 13 years, won a title at the end of the year.

So I feel, you know, my motivation is still out there to practice, enjoy it, and still do the traveling. I'm going to try to continue. And with the partnership with Max now, I'm enjoying it that much. I definitely get more inspired.

Q. Do you feel like with the no ad scoring that it's changing your play calling early in the games? If you're serving 15-30 second serve, that can quickly become triple game point. Now, with no ad in doubles, do you feel that as a team you guys are calling different plays earlier specifically because of the no ad pressure on your games when you're trying to hold?

MAX MIRNYI: I think more than anything, it just makes a team be much more aware, less breathing room, if you can say it in that way. You still sort of go with your strength and try to attack opponents' weaknesses. You just realize that the game is shorter, and you try to just be maybe this much more alert to try to avoid unforced errors.

Still, you know, 15-30 is 15-30. You're serving to the ad court and you want to go maybe with your best serve to go to the opponent's weakest return. The elements of the game haven't changed because you still have to hit your first volley. You're still hitting tennis shots. It's just it's a little bit compact now.

Q. Do you feel as a team you've been broken more this year as a result of no ad. Do feel you guys have been holding reasonably well? Ultimately, today, obviously, there was several no ad situations. Couple key ones in the second set when you were able to get out of games at 15-30, 40-30. That was obviously critical. You could have been down 5-1 in the second set possibly with the way that was shifting. That's unbelievable, instead of a 4-All, 5-All holding until a tie-breaker situation.

MAX MIRNYI: I hear what you're saying, but I'm convinced that over the course of the year, or as long as we're going to keep this format - hopefully this is going to be the future of tennis - the better team will still win. Everybody's put in the same boat and everybody's dealing with the same problems.

You know, it will take some time to adjust, but still at the end of the year, the best eight teams will be the best eight teams. The quicker you can adjust, the better you're going to be. I think in the long run it's still going to even out.

Q. Jonas, apologies if you've already answered this question, but one Grand Slam, two Masters Series into the year, how do you feel the whole doubles situation is now? You were pretty outspoken about it the end of last year. Are you happier now?

JONAS BJORKMAN: I think it's going in the right direction. I think everyone is putting a great effort into talk positive about it, we have for so many years. Tournament directors just going after it, being, you know, talking shit about it all the time. Now it's quiet and more positive feedback from it. You know, these two weeks, with Indian Wells, Key Biscayne, it's a lot harder maybe to have the doubles matches on center court that we would like to see a lot more, obviously. But it's going in the right direction. We have Stanford coming in, supporting doubles, which is great. So it's much better.

Q. The Bryan brothers the other day when I asked the same question said, you know, they could foresee a time not far off where doubles players would be basically looking for another job, which is a pretty bleak outlook. Have things improved from that now?

JONAS BJORKMAN: Well, it's hard for me to say because I play singles and doubles so it's hard to answer that question because, you know, for me, I'm always feeling that I'm in the game because I play both. It might be harder for only pure doubles guys, how they sort of adjust to the new format and what they've been under, going through the last year or two.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports...

Old 04-03-2006, 08:43 AM   #26
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

more from Jonas:
Quote:
2006-04-02
We won in Miami

It feels just super great to wake up as champion of Miami! Max Mirnyi and I beat Bob and Mike Bryan on Saturday in the final, 6-4, 6-4. We played absolutely fantastic tennis again. Just great! This is the best tournament that Max and I have played together. We haven´t lost a set. We took the initiative immediately in the final, forced them to errors, and it felt like we were one step ahead all the time. Great to defend the title from last year. I´ll go back home to relax and rebuild for the clay season now. I couldn´t have entered those preparations with a better feling!

2006-04-01
All the way in Miami

Max Mirnyi and I are through to the final in Miami on Saturday after beating Paul Hanley and Kevin Ullyett in the semifinal, 6-3, 7-6 (7-1). We played very, very well again, were one step ahead all the time, and we haven´t yet lost a set. All together this year we have 15-3 in matches. The final against Bob and Mike Bryan will be very interesting. They need to play their best tennis to touch us now! We want to defend our title from 2005.

Old 04-04-2006, 08:12 AM   #27
country flag Kristen
MTF. Never changes!

This is the funniest interview ever! (And it put a huuuge smile on my face ) Thanks for posting it Björki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Björki
Miami BJORKMAN-MIRNYI/Bryan-Bryan 6-4, 6-4

Q. You'll be back, right?
JONAS BJORKMAN: For a three-peat, hopefully (smiling).

Q. Martina tomorrow is in the finals and she's 49. Any comments on that?
JONAS BJORKMAN: I'm not gonna be around that long, guarantee you that (laughing).

Q. Sure of that?
JONAS BJORKMAN: Absolutely. I have so many things I'm looking forward to after the game of tennis. I mean, tennis is a sport that I love so much, and I'm going to miss it once I decide to step aside and do something else. But tennis is not everything. I have a great family, I will be around a lot more. And having a new situation of doing a lot of things around the tennis and still be part of tennis but doing other stuff.

Q. Have you announced any plans?
JONAS BJORKMAN: No, no, no, not really. I mean, you know, the way we're playing right now, I have a feeling why stop when you're so successful. So I feel, you know, my motivation is still out there to practice, enjoy it, and still do the traveling. I'm going to try to continue. And with the partnership with Max now, I'm enjoying it that much. I definitely get more inspired.

Q. Jonas, apologies if you've already answered this question, but one Grand Slam, two Masters Series into the year, how do you feel the whole doubles situation is now? You were pretty outspoken about it the end of last year. Are you happier now?

JONAS BJORKMAN: I think it's going in the right direction. I think everyone is putting a great effort into talk positive about it, we have for so many years. Tournament directors just going after it, being, you know, talking shit about it all the time.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:44 PM   #28
country flag TNX1.0E6TOPCA
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

TNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond repute

Get to know Jonas Bjorkman ... a really nice guy I think

it's from Tennis Plus - French tennis mag. May-June 2006

favorite animal?
- the leopard

favorite color?
- blue

favorite sport besides tennis?
- golf and ride (horse)

favorite car?
- Koenigsegg

favorite number?

favorite drind
- Coca Cola

favorite food?
- japanese food (sushis)

favorite singer?
- Sean Paul

favorite movie?
- The Silence of the Lambs

favorite actor?
- Tommy Lee Jones

favorite actress?
- Charlize Theron

favorite city?
- New York during 2 weeks

your main fault?
- (no reply)

your main quality?
- i'm a positive person, I never give up... I go till the end.

best memory in your career?
- my three victories in Davis Cup

worst memory in your career?
- defeat in Davis Cup final against France in 1996.

dream in tennis?
- being Number 1

the player you admire the most?
- Roger Federer

the wta player you admire the most?
- Justine Henin.

former player you admired the most?
- Stefan Edberg

former wta player you admired the most?
- Steffi Graf

the persons you are most attached to?
- my wife Petra

... if you were not a tennis-player?
- a hockey-player

... supposed you are alone on a desert island, what do you take with?
- playing cards

Last edited by qwertzuiop : 04-12-2006 at 01:46 PM.
TNX1.0E6TOPCA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 04:58 PM   #29
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Thank you Interlaken

Old 04-23-2006, 02:32 PM   #30
country flag Sommarsverige
on clouds...

Sommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a very long article about Jonas which I got from a friend in Sweden!

I have no time to translate it now, but will do it later today or tomorrow!
Sorry, that I copied it a bit strange...

Björkman ser framåt

DN i Monaco
Jens Littorin
MONte carlo. Jonas Björkman ser slutet på karriären - och början på en ny. Men innan han lägger tennisracketen på hyllan vill han spela dubbel med sin barndomshjälte John McEnroe igen. Ingen blir lyckligare än Jonas om det sker i Stockholm Open till hösten.

; Foto: Laura LeyshonJonas Björkman har siktet inställt på en ny karriär. Men innan han lägger av med tennisen vill han spela dubbel med John McEnroe igen.

Tennis
Nyheter
Tennisdamer klarade kvaletFederer och Nadal till final i Monte CarloSöderling avstår turnering i Casablanca
Krönikor
Tänk om en tanig ryss nått semifinalenBaghdatis - Cyperns StenmarkEn ofrånkomlig hyllningskrönika om Federer"Dubbeln behöver en McEnroe"INBLICK: De tyska slynglarna har vuxit uppEn hatmatch då och då är uppfriskandeHårda femsetare kan slå tillbaka senareDN:s Johan Orrenius om Australian Open dag 2DN:s Johan Orrenius om Australian Open dag 1
Reportage
Kungarnas klubbar kämpar om Stockholms tennistron
Fakta
Tennisrankning
Läs mer
ATP:s hemsidaWTA:s hemsidaAustralian OpenFranska ÖppnaWimbledonUS OpenDavis CupFed Cup

Det är dagen då Jonas Björkman nås av beskedet att Thomas Enqvist beslutat sätta punkt för sin karriär. "Väntat, men ändå tråkigt. Vi glömmer lätt bort vilken bra karriär han haft", säger Björkman om den två år yngre kollegans beslut.

34-årige Jonas hade trott att det var han som skulle bli först att lämna cirkusen.
- Jag hade väl aldrig trott att jag skulle hålla på när jag var 34 år, men det är så himla kul att man fortfarande kan utmana de yngre killarna i singel och framför allt i dubbel, säger Björkman där han sitter med ett glas apelsinjuice i vip-området på Monte Carlos Country Club.

Han har just i par med Max Mirnij enkelt avancerat till tredje omgången av dubbelturneringen.

Toppspelet som han och vitryssen fann vid turneringssegern i Miami för drygt två veckor sedan har än en gång fått tankarna på karriärslutet att skingras.
- Spelet i Miami var det bästa vi presterat tillsammans och vi visade hur bra vi kompletterar varandra. Max har väldigt bra serve och jag har mina returer, säger Björkman.

Annars är det med en annan partner som den svenske veteranen skapat de stora rubrikerna. Björkmans turneringsseger i San José tillsammans med John McEnroe är tennisvärldens snackis så här långt under säsongen. Även för den mångfaldige Grand Slam-vinnaren Jonas Björkman var det en av karriärens höjdpunkter.
- Björn Borg och John McEnroe var mina idoler när jag var yngre. Borg har jag aldrig ens tränat med, men nu har jag i alla fall spelat tillsammans med McEnroe. Det var otroligt kul, särskilt som vi spelade så bra och vann, säger Björkman och förklarar att det inte behöver ha varit en engångsföreteelse.
- I början på veckan sade John att han bara ville spela en gång. Efter finalen sade att han att det var jäkligt kul och att vi skulle ta ett snack och se om det går att göra om.

Både Båstad och Stockholm Open har visat sitt intresse, men när det gäller turneringen i Skåne i sommar har McEnroe förklarat att han inte har tid. Stockholm Open däremot...
- Bollen ligger mest hos McEnroe. Han har rätt mycket åtaganden på seniortouren. Samtidigt vill han inte bara klampa in och ta platsen från Max. Vi har ju våra egna mål. Det gäller att hitta en turnering där Max och jag inte har för avsikt att spela, säger Björkman.

McEnroe kommer till Rom nästa månad. Då ska han och Björkman träffas tillsammans med respektive agenter och försöka hitta ett datum.

McEnroe i comeback i Stockholm - snacka om publikmagnet.
- Ja, då får vi nog flytta tillbaka från Kungliga till Globen. Jag tror lätt att han skulle dra 15.000 personer. Det skulle vara jäkligt kul, säger Björkman.

Jonas är en av de spelare som jobbat hårt för att popularisera dubbelspelet, som han anser styvmoderligt behandlat både av tävlingsledningar och ATP-touren genom åren. Han anser att positiva saker börjat hända sedan den nye tourbossen Etienne de Williers tog över i fjol.

Björkman berättar att det slogs publikrekord i Miami och även i Monaco har det under de inledande tävlingdagarna varit fullt på läktarna.

Jonas har under sina många år på touren skaffat sig idéer om hur tennisen kan utvecklas, men när han drar sig tillbaka kommer han inte att arbeta på tävlingsledningens utan på spelarnas sida. Björkman kommer att ta en plats hos agentföretaget Podium där hans rådgivare Daniel Wessfeldt är delägare.

Podium har hittills främst satsat på friidrott, men siktar nu även på att få in tennis- och golfspelare i sitt stall.
- Det är väl meningen att jag skall bidra med min erfarenhet från en lång tenniskarriär. Jag känner i stort sett alla som jobbar inom sporten, från tävlingsledare till klädleverantörer.

Han tror att han som spelare har en fördel när han kliver över till andra sidan.
- Vissa agenter jobbar väldigt dåligt. Ligger man i toppen kommer de och frågar hur läget är, trillar man på rankningen är man bortglömd. Jag tror att det går att hitta en bättre balans, helt enkelt göra en bättre produkt för klienterna just för att jag som spelare vet vad de vill ha, säger Björkman.

Pico Monaco ~ Edu Schwank ~ Machi Gonzalez ~ Dani Gimeno ~ David Marrero ~ Marc Lopez ~ Marco Chiudinelli ~ Marcel Granollers

I miss you on tour, Nors, Bjösse, Simon & Pim Pim
Sommarsverige is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote