Articles, News, Quotes ... - Page 10 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-13-2007, 07:49 AM   #136
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Björki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Articles, News, Quotes ...

www.jonasbjorkman.com

Quote:
2007-06-12
Collected thoughts

Free today, so I´ll take the oppurtunity to collect my thoughts, sum up the French Open, and look ahead.
I played superb singles in Paris. That I should be one of 16 remaining was the biggest suprise of the tournament. It gave me a lot that I had met and played even with several of the worlds best clay court players before Paris.
When I beat Ivo Karlovic, it was my 400 victory on the ATP tour.
My results in Paris lead me to 30th place in the rankings, and to the fact that I will be seeded in the upcoming tournaments, such as Wimbledon, and get more favourable draws.
The doubles was also a step forward. The three matches we won were the best we have played in a long while. We had three matchpoints in the quarter final, that we didn´t win was just bad luck this time. We will take several positive facts with us into the future: we made fewer mistake, co-operated better, forced our opponents to play really well to win the points, we didn´t give anything away.
I am through to the second round in the Queen´s tournament, which in itself is a better result than the past two years. Nicolas Mahut is next, and I want to win that one too. Then I have a final in Nottingham and a semi final in Wimbledon to defend. Somewhat of a challenge...!

2007-06-12
Won first on grass

My grass form seems to be on its way. I won in the first round at the Queen´s Club against Justin Gimelstob, 6-3, 3-6, 6-1. Nicolas Mahut, France, is next.
Björki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2007, 02:41 PM   #137
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Björki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond repute

www.jonasbjorkman.com
Quote:
2007-06-15
Staples of matches

I lost to Nicolas Mahut, France, 3-6, 7-6, 3-6, in the second round. He´s in a flow right now, beat Ljubicic today, and when he´s playing like this, he´s really good on grass, serving equally fast first and second serves and constantly attacking. I haven´t been moving as well as I hoped, been a little bit stiff and slow, and then it´s easy that you lose your timing and length and get put under pressure.
The schedule for the doubles hasn´t been the best, adding a little bit rain it has resulted in matches beeing stapled on each other. Winning teams get to play several matches a day to end the tournament in time. Max Mirnyi and I have a 5-2 lead on Del Potro and Gonzalez in a postponed match in the second round.

Bryans || Djokovic || Paire || Chiudinelli || Nalbandian || Hanley || Rojer || Nadal
Söderling || Verdasco || Wawrinka || Simon || O. Rochus || Leo Mayer

Björkman || Arthurs || Edberg || Rafter || T.Johansson || M.Norman || Aspelin
Old 06-17-2007, 02:08 PM   #138
country flag Eden
# Support the Swiss

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

JONAS SAYS RELAX

Jonas Bjorkman has identified a more relaxed approach as the reason he can still compete with the new generation of stars sweeping the game.
Rafael Nadal leads a crop of youngsters which includes Novak Djokovic, Richard Gasquet and Britain's Andy Murray who have emerged to challenge Roger Federer's dominance on court, but the 35-year-old, who arrives for the start of Monday's Nottingham Open bidding for a third title, has remained competitive on the tour in spite of his advancing years.
It took Federer to end the Swede's Wimbledon challenge at the semi-final stage last year and his bid for a hat-trick of Nottingham victories was ended at the final hurdle by world number 11 Gasquet.
And after reaching the last 16 at Roland Garros - equalling his best-ever finish at the French Open - the evergreen veteran admits he has benefited from simply taking the pressure off himself.
The world number 30 said: "You're getting wiser, as you get older you learn from your mistakes in the past. I am much more relaxed going out on the court.
"You take advantage of everything around you like the great atmosphere. I know it's a game. Win or lose you just have to go out and do your best - that's helping me now towards the end of my career."
And the three-time Wimbledon doubles champion believes the change in approach was a key factor in his superb run at the All England Club last year.
"It was probably one of the better two weeks I had in my career. It was so unexpected for everyone and even myself included," he added.
"I also think that's why I could enjoy it more because at this stage of my career I'm much more relaxed and could enjoy the atmosphere around and people cheering me on while maybe 10 years ago you are so focused on the tennis there is not much else you think about.
"I am much more easy-going now and I think that actually helped me. I was happy to enjoy such excitement at such a stage in my career."
Yet the experienced campaigner remains cautious over his chances of repeating the run at SW19 this year.
"You never know. The good way to approach is probably to have no expectations at all. Obviously you want to do well, I think I just need to go in there and take one match at a time and just try to enjoy it," he said.
"You never know if it's going to be your last one so you go out there and do your best. Obviously I'm hoping, but it's a strong competition and I will have to see how the draw comes out."
Nonetheless, Bjorkman, who reached as high as four in the world 10 years ago, admits the prospect of returning to the grass is one which excites him, especially the fast courts of the east midlands.
He said: "It is nice to be back on the grass and as every days goes by I'm feeling much more comfortable out there as well.
"The (Nottingham) court suits me better. It's much quicker which suits my game. I think once you have that first win you always like to come back to a place where you have been winning.
"Grass is something that always gets me very excited. It's a unique surface to play on, maybe that's why it is so much fun because you know it's only for four weeks."

Source: http://www.sportinglife.com/tennis/n...Nightlead.html
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 05:38 PM   #139
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Thanks Eden

Bryans || Djokovic || Paire || Chiudinelli || Nalbandian || Hanley || Rojer || Nadal

Old 06-19-2007, 06:21 AM   #140
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

www.jonasbjorkman.com
Quote:
2007-06-18
Congratulations!

I want to send out a huge "congratulations!" to the Swedish wheel chair tennis team (Niclas Larsson, Martin Kjällberg, Peter Wikström and Stefan Olsson) that won a historic bronze medal at the World Championships in Sweden this weekend, beating France 2-1. Sweden has never before been among the top four in a WC. Good work, guys!

2007-06-18
Once good, always good

Just the singles for me this week in Nottingham. Have fine traditions to defend: two titles, one final, and one semi final. Will play against the British wild card-player Richard Bloomfield in the first round. Haven´t seen him that much, but he is a strong grass court player on home ground, so I have to look out.
The grass is faster in Nottingham than at Queen´s, which suits me better. And if you have played really good tennis once in a certain tournament, you bring that with you whenever you return.

2007-06-18
Todd is arriving

Todd Woodbridge will arrive today to work with me during this week and at Wimbledon. I want to polish a few details in my game, improving stability when serving for instance, and Todd is the right man to bring in.

2007-06-18
Close in the semi

Max Mirnyi and I lost a very close semi final against Mark Knowles and Daniel Nestor, 5-7, 6-7, at Queen´s on Sunday. I felt that we were much better in the first set, when we had a number of break points and three set points, but we hadn´t that last touch of luck that you need, while they are in a flow right now - winning the French Open and beating the Bryan brothers in the Queen´s final. In the second set it was a couple of points that decided the match. But we played as good at Queen´s as we did in Paris. It feels that there is something big waiting around the corner for us. And soon Wimbledon starts...

Old 06-25-2007, 01:30 PM   #141
country flag Sommarsverige
on clouds...

Sommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond repute

Very sweet article about Jonas (and Max) in Aftonbladet today:

Foto: STEFAN HOLM

Sonen har gjort Jonas till en bättre spelare
LONDON. För Jonas Björkman har Wimbledon blivit en barnlek.
Tacka Max för det.
Fyraåringen har gjort sin far till en bättre tennisspelare.
– Hans leende hjälper mig att glömma förluster och komma i positiv stämning.
Björkman hade en lång dag på jobbet i går. Allt berodde på regnet, det där förbannade regnet. Den första träningen kunde visserligen genomföras som planerat, men sedan tvingades han vänta, vänta och vänta.
Förmiddag har blivit kväll när han äntligen kan öppna dörren till familjens tillfälliga lägenhet i den grönskande regnby som heter Wimbledon. Han har all rätt att vara lika sur som sina kläder, men är på solskenshumör.

Kastar sig runt halsen
Hur det är möjligt?
– PAPPA!
Förklaringen både hörs och syns.
Jonas har knappt hunnit kliva in i den ljusa hallen förrän en fyraåring kommer rusande och kastar sig runt hans hals.
– KOM PAPPA, KOM!
Max sliter bort skorna från Jonas fötter och leder honom till vardagsrummet. På tv:n, på golvet, på bordet... Överallt står de, leksaksdjuren.
Tennisspelaren Jonas Björkman existerar inte längre. Här och nu är han pappa. Plötsligt är en gepard i plast betydligt viktigare än Fernando Vicente, spanjoren som står för motståndet i morgon.
– Papparollen har förändrat mig. Jag är mycket mer avslappnad och har dragit en enorm nytta av det. Tidigare var jag ganska intensiv och när det gick dåligt tryckte jag ner mig själv ännu mer. Då tog det tid att komma i positiv stämning, berättar han.

”En perfekt balans”
Jonas Björkman minns Wimbledon 2003. Han hade spelat världstennis och var plötsligt klar för kvartsfinal mot
Andy Roddick.
– Jag förväntade mig att slå honom men gjorde en skitmatch (4–6, 2–6, 4–6). Jag var fruktansvärt besviken och kom hem väldigt nedstämd. Då fick jag världen härligaste leende från Max. Så snabbt har jag aldrig glömt en svidande förlust. Det där har utvecklats mer och mer och hjälpt mig väldigt mycket.
– Det finns så mycket annat som gör mig glad och det är Petra och Max förtjänst. Det känns bra att kunna koppla bort tennisen helt. I går spelade vi fotboll och lite tennis. För min del är det en perfekt balans. Kanske är det därför jag har lyckats hålla mig kvar, trots åldern.

Inte gammal
Du är väl inte gammal? A. W. Gore hade fyllt 41 år när han blev singelmästare 1909.
– Nej, 35 år är egentligen ingen ålder. Titta på hockeyspelare som (Steve) Yzerman, (Brendan) Shanahan och (Nicklas) Lidström. Även inom fotbollen är det många äldre som håller hög klass. Ålder är bara en siffra. Det viktigaste är hur fräsch man är i kroppen.
Din form är bevisligen god. Du har bara förlorat en match på gräs i år.
– Ja, det känns väldigt bra. Jag gjorde min klart bästa grussäsong och självförtroendet har jag dragit nytta av på gräset.
Hur ser du tillbaka på fjolårets Wimbledon och semifinalplatsen?
– Det är de två häftigaste veckorna jag har upplevt som tennisspelare. När jag är inne på banan är jag hundraprocentigt fokuserad, men så fort jag går därifrån kopplar jag av. Varje morgon gick jag mellan anläggningen och stället vi hyrde. Jag kände atmosfären och såg de kilometerlånga köerna. Jag är glad att jag fick uppleva det i slutet av karriären. Då kunde jag ta del av allt runtomkring.

Mixed med Anna
Du debuterade i Wimbledon 1993. Vilket är ditt största ögonblick från alla år?
– Mixedmatchen med (Anna) Kournikova. Vi spelade på bana 13. Folk hängde i träden för att kunna se matchen. Jag har nog aldrig sett folk vara så ofokuserade när jag skulle serva. De hade annat att fokusera på. Ha, ha, ha. Nä, det största är första dubbeltiteln med Todd Woodbridge (2002). Som liten drömde jag om att få vinna något stort och som svensk har Wimbledon blivit så otroligt stort tack vare Björn Borg. Han är en ikon. Jag måste vara kvar i turneringen den andra veckan, så att jag får se honom på plats. Hela landet har längtat efter det, att få hit honom. Det vill jag vara med om.
Ringde han och gratulerade till semifinalplatsen i fjol?
– Nej. Inget illa ment, men jag vet inte om han har mitt nummer. Jag skulle vara stolt om jag hade hans. Det är en hjälte vi pratar om. Han brukar ha bra koll på hur det går. Det är uppskattat. Jag pratade med honom i Båstad förra året. Direkt kom han fram och gratulerade.
Har du någon kontakt med Kournikova i dag?
– Hon ringer hela tiden. Det är så jävla jobbigt. Jag är såååå trött på henne. Ha, ha, ha. Nä, vi har ingen kontakt.

Tror på Roger

Kan någon hindra Roger Federer från att ta femte raka titeln i år?
– Han är storfavorit. Man undrade om någon skulle tangera Björns rekord, men Federer har alla förutsättningar.
Själv har du en semifinalplats att försvara. Du är laddad till Max, va?
– Ja, i dubbel bemärkelse, säger Jonas Björkman.

If someone is interested, I can of course translate the article

Pico Monaco ~ Edu Schwank ~ Stan Wawrinka ~ Dani Gimeno ~ David Marrero ~ Marc Lopez ~ Marco Chiudinelli ~ Marcel Granollers

I miss you on tour, Nors, Bjösse, Simon & Pim Pim
Sommarsverige is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 01:32 PM   #142
on clouds...

Sommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond reputeSommarsverige has a reputation beyond repute

Don´t know why the photo to the article didn´t appear, but here it is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jonas&Max.jpg (32.2 KB, 3 views)

Pico Monaco ~ Edu Schwank ~ Stan Wawrinka ~ Dani Gimeno ~ David Marrero ~ Marc Lopez ~ Marco Chiudinelli ~ Marcel Granollers

Old 06-25-2007, 02:41 PM   #143
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Thanks Birte but I dont understand it

Old 06-25-2007, 02:45 PM   #144
on clouds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Björki View Post
Thanks Birte but I dont understand it
Peggy, ich übersetze es gerne Spätestens morgen Abend, vielleicht schaffe ich es auch heute

Old 06-25-2007, 02:59 PM   #145
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

1000 Dank
Old 06-25-2007, 07:57 PM   #146
on clouds...

Okay, here is the translation:

His son made a better player of Jonas

For Jonas Wimbledon has become a childrens toy, he can thank Max for this.

The 4-year old son has made a better player of his father.

- His smile makes that I forget looses faster and that I get in a better mood.

Jonas had a long day at work yesterday, mainly because of all the rain. He could practice once, but afterwards he could only wait, wait and wait.
When Jonas finally arrives to the flat where he is staying in during the Wimbledon time, it has become evening. But Jonas is in a great mood anyway.

How can he be in such a good mood?
- Daddy!
You can both see and hear the reason.
Jonas couldn´t even open the door to the house, already comes a 4-year old boy, runs to him and hugs him.
- Come daddy, come!

Max throws away Jonas shoes and takes him to the living room.
There you can see toy animals everywhere. The tennisplayer Jonas Björkman doesn´t exist anymore. Here he is only daddy. Suddenly a hunting-leopard (Anmerkung fuer Peggy: Gepard, kannte das englische Wort auch nicht ) is much more important than Fernando Vicente who is Jonas opponent tomorrow.

- To be a daddy has changed me a lot. I am much more relaxed and take many advantages from that. Earlier I was much intensive and when I was playing badly I pushed myself down even more. Then it always took a longer time to get into good mood again, Jonas says.

Jonas thinks of Wimbledon 2003. He played wonderful tennis and reached the quarterfinal against Andy Roddick.
- I was expecting to beat him, but played a very bad match (4:6, 2:6, 4:6).
I was so sad and got home very depressed and sad. When I got home Max gave me a huge smile. I have never forgotten a bad defeat that fast. This has developped more and more and it has helped me a lot.

- There are so many more things which make me happy and I can thank Petra and Max for that. It feels good not to think about tennis all the time. Yesterday we played football and a bit of tennis. For me this is a perfect balance. Maybe this is the reason why I am still playing so good, despite my age.

You are not old at all. A.W. Gore was 41 years old when he won the singles tournament 1909.
- No, 35 years is actually not old. Look at the hockey players as Yzerman, Shanahan and Lidström. Also in football there are many older players who are playing very good. The age is only a number. The most important thing is how fresh your body is.

Your shape is good. You have only lost one match on grass court this year.
- Yes, it feels very good. I have played my best ever claycourt season and the confidence I got there helped me on grass.

How do you look back on last years Wimbledon and your semifinal there?
- This have been the 2 best weeks for me as a tennis player. When I am on the court, I am concentrated to 100%. But as soon as I get off the court I relax. Every morning I went between the house we rent and the venue. I felt the atmosphere and saw the long queues. I am happy that I could experience this in the end of my career. I could enjoy everything around.

You played your first Wimbledon in 1993. Which is your best memory from all the years?
- The mixed with Anna Kournikova. We played on Court 13. People were hanging in the trees to see our match. I have never seen people been so unfocused when I was serving. They had other things to focus on. Hahaha.
No, the biggest thing was the first doubles title with Todd Woodbridge in 2002. As a little boy I was dreaming about winning something big and as a swedish guy Wimbledon has become so big because of Björn Borg. He is a legend.
I wanted to be in the tournament in the 2nd week to meet him, I wanted to see him.

Did he call you and congratulate on your semifinal last year?
- No. I don´t even know if he has my number. I would be proud if I would have his. He is a real hero. He is following the results, this is very much appreciated. I talked to him in Båstad last year. Directly he came and congratulated me.

Do you still have any contact with Kournikova?
- She is calling me all the time. It is so stressful. I am so tired on her. Hahaha. No, we don´t have any contact.

Is there someone who can avoid Roger Federer fifth title in a row?
- He is the big favourite. Everyone was wondering if someone ever could bother Björn record, but Federer has all the qualifications.

You have to defend a semifinal in doubles. You are also loaded Max, aren´t you?
- Yes, in the double meaning, Jonas says.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:04 PM   #147
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

what a lovely article!! thanks so much for the translation Birte
Old 06-25-2007, 08:17 PM   #148
on clouds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Björki View Post
what a lovely article!! thanks so much for the translation Birte
No problem I also agree that this is a very cute article
So, good luck for Jonas in Wimbledon

Old 06-30-2007, 01:30 PM   #149
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

http://www.jonasbjorkman.com/
Quote:
2007-06-30
Hurting loss

Max Mirnyi and I lost directly in Wimbledon against Robert Lindstedt and Jarkko Nieminen 2-6, 7-6(4), 7-5, 6-3. A big dissappointment. We played well in the first and parts of the second set, but all in all we didn´t manage to put them under enough pressure in their games, and did to many own mistakes in our games.

2007-06-29
Third round Wimbledon

After beating Fernando Vicente (3-0) and Yeu-Tzuoo Wang (3-1) at Wimbledon, I will now face Wayne Arthurs, Australia, in the third round.

2007-06-24
Looking forward to Wimbledon

Going into Wimbledon, my form is really good. Reached the semi final after beating Paul-Henri Mathieu in the quarter final in Nottingham, 2-6, 6-3, 6-4. Massive rain forced us to move indoors for the quarter- and semi finals, and we had to play them after each other. My 2,5 hour long quarter final still reminded me in the semi final against Arnaud Clement, and the felt carpet isn´t my favourite. Topping that, Arnaud have been playing really good lately, so he won 6-2, 6-4.
I am really looking forward to Wimbledon. I am taking it easy this weekend with my family, mostly plaing with toy cars with my son Max. The atmosphere is fantastic as usual at Wimbledon, and I have a lot of great memories to bring with me into the tournament, such as my semi final last year. With that said - there is probably a lot of players that would like to bring this old man down to earth this time, so I will have to work hard to prove myself now...
My first round is on Tuesday against Fernando Vicente, Spain.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:06 PM   #150
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

J. Bjorkman - 2 July
Monday, 2 July, 2007

J. BJORKMAN defeated W. Arthurs 6‑2, 6‑1, 6‑4

Q. How difficult was it to keep focus with the various rain delays?

JONAS BJORKMAN: Well, it's never easy. I mean, Saturday was a long day, yesterday was sort of kind of a relief to have a little break, and today it didn't look like it was going to start, and once we start, then it's obviously a lot harder because when you go back and forth like that, you're warming up a lot of times and trying to prepare. But at least I got a lot of experience from it in the past, and I managed to keep myself in good spirit.

Q. Did it amuse you, the buildup to this match, everybody focusing on your respective ages, you and Wayne, the combined age? How old do you actually feel?

JONAS BJORKMAN: Well, I don't feel like 35 (smiling). I feel much younger, and I think I'm moving great to be 35. You know, it's not a problem. There's always going to be talk like that, but that's just the way it is and you have to accept it. I take it positive. You know, it's great to still be doing that well at my age and at this stage of my career. So I'm just pleased and trying to enjoy it.

Q. Do you think that gives you ‑‑ perhaps not against Wayne but against other guys, does that give you a distinct advantage, especially in games like this where there's rain delays, the experience that you've got?

JONAS BJORKMAN: I'm not sure. I think most of the guys who are here in the second week have been playing several Wimbledons before, so most of them are handling it quite well.

Then obviously there's going to be some who's a little bit more frustrated. But I hope I can benefit from it and try to take advantage of it at least.

Q. What is it about this place and this surface that brings out the best in you year after year after year?

JONAS BJORKMAN: Well, you know, this is my favorite tournament, I think, just got so much history here, the tradition, the atmosphere, got so many things that just so unique for this tournament. Once you just come in here, you really get fired up and you get that little extra energy and you really want to do well here.

And then obviously grass has always been suitable for my kind of game, as well, which always helps.

Q. I think I'm right in saying Wayne was going to make this tournament his last tournament?

JONAS BJORKMAN: Yes.

Q. You've obviously got no thoughts in that respect?

JONAS BJORKMAN: No, not at this point. I'm trying to take one year at a time, and it depends a little bit how my ranking goes, how the body is holding up. But obviously right now I feel great. I'm pleased to be in the fourth round again, second Slam in a row, so I'm hoping to continue. But you always have to wait and see; a lot of things can happen. I'm trying to hang in a little bit more.