2008 Vamos Argentina Davis Cup Thread - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-05-2006, 07:01 AM   #76
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2006 Vamos Argentina Davis Cup Thread

Rosie, might want to avoid this thread, considering the subject matter.

Gaston from my reports is the 5th player in case anyone of the main 4 players Nalbandian, Acasuso, Calleri and Chela withdraw from the tie against Australia. As much as he would love to play a part in getting Argentina to the final, his overall form hasn't deserved selection.

They should win this handily and make the final. If they play Russia it will be in Russia and if it's against the Yanks, then it will be in Buenos Aires.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2006, 08:56 AM   #77
country flag Choupi

Choupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond repute

Vamos Argentina, whoever plays in the tie.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:11 PM   #78
country flag justClaudia

justClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond repute

I wish Gaston could play, instead of Juan Ignacio....but yeah, not likely to happen. Good luck anyway, whoever plays, I hope they can win this tie.
justClaudia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 03:28 PM   #79
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
Rosie, might want to avoid this thread, considering the subject matter.

Gaston from my reports is the 5th player in case anyone of the main 4 players Nalbandian, Acasuso, Calleri and Chela withdraw from the tie against Australia. As much as he would love to play a part in getting Argentina to the final, his overall form hasn't deserved selection.

They should win this handily and make the final. If they play Russia it will be in Russia and if it's against the Yanks, then it will be in Buenos Aires.
Don't worry - just started to read it - but will definately be avoiding it in the next few weeks - DC (just my opinion and one I have stated clearly in the past and won't bore you all with again!) Hope you all have fun talking about it though - wouldn't do if we all liked the same things in life would it

Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more
*Ljubica* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 02:18 AM   #80
country flag Caralimon

Caralimon has a reputation beyond reputeCaralimon has a reputation beyond reputeCaralimon has a reputation beyond reputeCaralimon has a reputation beyond reputeCaralimon has a reputation beyond reputeCaralimon has a reputation beyond reputeCaralimon has a reputation beyond reputeCaralimon has a reputation beyond reputeCaralimon has a reputation beyond reputeCaralimon has a reputation beyond reputeCaralimon has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.infobae.com/notas/nota.ph...Seccion=100795

The clock is ticking, and the tie is getting closer between Argentina and Australia. The team is supposed to be Nalbandian, Chela, Calleri and Acasuso

In the past months, there was some big topics sorrounding this tie. The first one, referred to the argentinian players and their perfomances in the last couple of months. The other one, the appearance, or abscense of Lleyton Hewitt, best australian player.

But almost no one talked about Gaston Gaudio, why wasn't he in the squad?

Excluding the known head-issues that Gaudio is used to suffer on the tennis courts, the argentinian raised his level the last months and a lot of people thought he standed a chance for the tie. Even the captain was seriously thinking in that option.

But in the last couple of hours, a rumor trascended that this absence wasn't decided by his latest achievements, but a call from the powerful men in the tennis burocracy.

Now, the players already know whether they are going to be in the team or not. Gaudio does. But this time, a racquet is not involved.
Caralimon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 02:14 PM   #81
country flag Hendu

Hendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caralimon
http://www.infobae.com/notas/nota.ph...Seccion=100795

The clock is ticking, and the tie is getting closer between Argentina and Australia. The team is supposed to be Nalbandian, Chela, Calleri and Acasuso

In the past months, there was some big topics sorrounding this tie. The first one, referred to the argentinian players and their perfomances in the last couple of months. The other one, the appearance, or abscense of Lleyton Hewitt, best australian player.

But almost no one talked about Gaston Gaudio, why wasn't he in the squad?

Excluding the known head-issues that Gaudio is used to suffer on the tennis courts, the argentinian raised his level the last months and a lot of people thought he standed a chance for the tie. Even the captain was seriously thinking in that option.

But in the last couple of hours, a rumor trascended that this absence wasn't decided by his latest achievements, but a call from the powerful men in the tennis burocracy.

Now, the players already know whether they are going to be in the team or not. Gaudio does. But this time, a racquet is not involved.
Who is the powerful man in the tennis burocracy?

Morea?

I don't buy it.

I don't think anyone can tell Luli what to do. He has a strong personality, which he showed in Davis Cup btw...

I would like to have had el Gato in the team instead of Chela to play this tie on clay. Especially because Gaudio is happy again playing tennis after resting some time, at least thats what he said. And is playing better.
But Mancini decided to present the same team of the last two ties. Maybe to solidify the group that would play in an eventual final against Russia in Russia. Gaudio won't play there, although he did pretty well the last time we went to Moscow.
Hendu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 02:19 PM   #82
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

I just hope Gaston will be in the stadium to watch the boys play, it would be good.

Well Morea is not exactly a friend of Gaston, but I agree with Willy. I trust Luli and there is a reason he is DC captain and he has the respect of the player.

Gaston could have played this tie, but I can see why Luli stuck with this team.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 09-18-2006, 05:00 AM   #83
country flag Chapwoman

Chapwoman is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: 2006 Vamos Argentina Davis Cup Thread

I hope that Gaston will watch the team as well. Vamos Argentina , particularly against the reported Hewitt security guards! Ha, ha!

Oooo, next round Argentina vs We Yanks in Buenos Aires would be cool.

We might even get some broadcast here in the US.
Chapwoman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 04:57 AM   #84
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Hewitt has arrived in Buenos Aires with all of the security hooplah around him and there is a video of Acasuso talking in Clarin.

I will paste it in here.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 09-19-2006, 09:46 AM   #85
country flag sophia_c

sophia_c has a reputation beyond reputesophia_c has a reputation beyond reputesophia_c has a reputation beyond reputesophia_c has a reputation beyond reputesophia_c has a reputation beyond reputesophia_c has a reputation beyond reputesophia_c has a reputation beyond reputesophia_c has a reputation beyond reputesophia_c has a reputation beyond reputesophia_c has a reputation beyond reputesophia_c has a reputation beyond repute

hey...an article from Australia about the Davis Cup......maybe some slight over-reaction on someone's part......

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport/...431704373.html

Hewitt accused of siege mentality
Tuesday Sep 19 18:50 AEST
Lleyton Hewitt has been accused of "creating a circus" and acting like he'd come to Iraq instead of Argentina by potential first day Davis Cup opponent Jose Acasuso.

Hewitt has brought two security guards with him for the semifinal following his rating by an Argentine newspaper as one of the most hated athletes in the country, no doubt fuelled by a history of ill-feeling with a number of the host country's players.

But Acasuso, who will battle with Agustin Calleri for the No.2 Argentine singles spot behind David Nalbandian, wasn't impressed.

"I don't know what Hewitt was thinking, that he was coming to Iraq or they are going to plant a bomb, but we are calm," Acasuso told reporters on Tuesday.

"He's trying to create a circus but nothing is going to happen.

"We're just worried about Argentina. Whether he has one bodyguard, or 500 bodyguards, that's up to him."

Hewitt's camp on Tuesday night dismissed the comments.

"Wherever he travels, we arrange the appropriate level of security that we feel is necessary," Hewitt's manager Robert Aivatoglou said.

"We assessed the situation in Buenos Aires and we haven't treated this any differently to anywhere else he travels.

"The bodyguards are associated with the Australian team and we feel it's appropriate that Lleyton has this level of security."

Acasuso's accusation follows countryman - and bitter and long-time rival of Hewitt - Guillermo Coria's claim earlier in the week that Hewitt's stance had made Argentina "look like a country of murderers".

Aivatoglou believed both Acasuso's and Coria's accusations were uncalled for and said they wouldn't affect Hewitt as he strove to help Australia reach a fifth Davis Cup final in eight years since the 25-year-old made his debut in the competition in 1999.

"After practising today (on centre court), Lleyton walked from the Australian team room to the outside court, then practised further without any incident. I would not say it resembled anything like a circus," Aivatoglou said.

"I wouldn't suggest these accusations will upset him at all. He is just focused on playing tennis and playing Davis Cup for his country."

Hewitt has two personal bodyguards with him in the Argentine capital, including Greg Norman's former minder, but the Argentines believe his concerns are ill-founded - and his stance over the top.

On the whole, the Argentine people are warm and friendly and Hewitt's request for extra security may be perceived as an overreaction, with the tennis star's presence in the football-mad country having - so far - attracted little attention.

Come Friday, though, when the three-day tie commences, Hewitt is sure to be public enemy No.1.

Last edited by Action Jackson : 09-19-2006 at 09:56 AM.
sophia_c is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 07:38 AM   #86
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Well done guys for making the final and there is one more hurdle to overcome.

Nalle was talking a lot, but he backed up the words this time, so Chucho, Nalbandian, Calleri and Chela as well are a good squad and now they will be fighting hard for the singles spot in Russia.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 09-24-2006, 08:08 AM   #87
country flag Choupi

Choupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond repute

I'm curious to know which surface Russia will choose.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:41 AM   #88
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport/...036397358.html

Nalbandian hammers nail in Aussie coffin

In the end - and the end came very quickly - David Nalbandian had the last laugh, Argentina's tennis ironman delivering on his promise to lead his country to a crushing victory over Australia.

After Jose Acasuso returned to complete a 1-6 6-4 4-6 6-2 6-1 victory over Lleyton Hewitt in the second singles rubber, Nalbandian teamed with Agustin Calleri to bury Australia for the second year running with a 6-4 6-4 7-5 whipping of Wayne Arthurs and Paul Hanley.

The doubles triumph at Parque Roca Stadium gave Argentina an unassailable 3-0 advantage in the claycourt semi-final and its first Davis Cup final in 25 years.

Inspired by a capacity crowd of 14,000 mostly partisan fans, including a shirt-waving and at times delirious-looking Diego Maradona, Nalbandian had put the hosts up 1-0 on Saturday when he outclassed Mark Philippoussis 6-4 6-3 6-3.

However rain and fading light forced an early finish to the opening day, with Acasuso leading Hewitt 4-0 in the fifth set.

Before the tie, Nalbandian, who had won three rubbers to pilot Argentina to a 4-1 success over Australia in a grasscourt quarter-final last year in Sydney, had somewhat arrogantly dismissed the visiting team's chances of gaining revenge in Buenos Aires.

But the world No.4 proved true to his word.

"I wasn't surprised by this 3-0 win," Nalbandian said after enhancing his already impeccable claycourt record in Davis Cup to 10 wins from 10 matches on the slow surface, and to 18-3 overall in the competition.

"When I talk, I do it."

Argentina will play either Russia or the USA in the December 1-3 final and will be attempting to win the Cup for the first time.

The South Americans have only once before made the final, a Guillermo Vilas-inspired Argentine outfit falling 3-1 to the US in Cincinnati in 1981.

Australia's defeat left captain John Fitzgerald staring down the barrel of back-to-back 5-0 drubbings in Buenos Aires, having been whitewashed in the first round four years ago with a depleted line-up devoid of Hewitt and Philippoussis.

"The court was pretty slow and tough for us. It's difficult to come here and win in these conditions because Argentina have a world-class team," Fitzgerald said.

He felt Hewitt's first five-set loss in more than three years knocked the stuffing out of Australia's campaign.

"Lleyton's record over five sets in the last year or two is quite phenomenal. He doesn't lose too many when he goes to the fifth so, at two sets to one up, you'd back him in.

"So that was very much a difficult one for us to recover from."

Acasuso was glad he wasn't armed with the knowledge of Hewitt's run of 11 straight five-set triumphs that had included the scalps of Nalbandian, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Juan Carlos Ferrero and, most recently, French young gun Richard Gasquet at this month's US Open.

From 2-1 and a break point up in the fourth set, Hewitt uncharacteristically dropped nine games in a row.

But the most successful singles player in Australian Davis Cup history offered no excuses, saying against a streaky player like Acasuso he simply had to take his half chances, and he wasn't able to do so.

With Hewitt the only Australian in the world's top 100 and the futures of 35-year-old Wayne Arthurs, the oldest player on the ATP Tour, and Philippoussis, 30 in six weeks and struggling to rediscover his once formidable game, this loss may signal the end of a golden era for Australia in Davis Cup.

Hewitt, Philippoussis, Pat Rafter, Arthurs and the Woodies - Todd Woodbridge and Mark Woodforde - have helped Australia reach four finals, a semi-final and quarter-final - for two trophies - in the past eight years.

"We have had a good run from these guys. They've been a credit to themselves, to their families and to the sport," Fitzgerald said.

"Its tough on a world stage to compete and to get to this last four and to win a Davis Cup. We need to keep trying to develop players. Its not a short-term process."

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 09-24-2006, 09:52 AM   #89
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

http://www.smh.com.au/news/tennis/ac...431956007.html

Acasuso win puts Argentina in complete control

Lleyton Hewitt on Saturday suffered his first five-set defeat in more than three years to leave Australia needing a minor miracle to win its Davis Cup semi-final against Argentina in Buenos Aires.

World No.25 Jose Acasuso completed a rain-delayed 1-6 6-4 4-6 6-2 6-1 victory over Hewitt after returning to Parque Roca Stadium leading 4-0 in the fifth set.

David Nalbandian had put the hosts up 1-0 in the best-of-five-match tie when he outclassed Mark Philippoussis 6-4 6-3 6-3 in Friday's opening singles rubber.

Wayne Arthurs and Paul Hanley must beat Nalbandian and Agustin Calleri in Saturday's doubles to keep alive Australia's slim chances of making this year's Cup final.

Hewitt's loss was his first in five sets since losing as top seed to Spaniard Tommy Robredo in the third round of the 2003 French Open.

His run of 11 straight wins in matches going the full distance included triumphs over tennis heavyweights Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, David Nalbandian, Juan Carlos Ferrero and, most recently, young French star Richard Gasquet at this month's US Open.

But against Acasuso Hewitt was not the same player that had made the 25-year-old the most successful singles player in Australian Davis Cup history.

He looked like running away with the match after taking the first set in quick fashion on Friday.

And, even after Acasuso stole the second, Hewitt seemed back in control when he went two sets to one up and established break points in the fourth game of the fourth set.

The free-swinging Acasuso, though, began finding his range and reeled off nine straight games to be on the verge of a stirring comeback win when rain intervened on Friday.

Hewitt made the perfect start upon Saturday's resumption, breaking Acasuso on the very first point of the day to keep his hopes alive.

But the South Australian uncharacteristically gifted the break straight back from 30-love up on serve with two double-faults followed by two successive unforced errors.

Acasuso coolly served out the match and dropped to his knees in jubilation after pushing Argentina to within one more win of only its second ever Davis Cup final.

The South Americans lost to the USA in their only previous final back in 1981.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 09-25-2006, 08:02 AM   #90
country flag sonatinca

sonatinca has a reputation beyond reputesonatinca has a reputation beyond reputesonatinca has a reputation beyond reputesonatinca has a reputation beyond reputesonatinca has a reputation beyond reputesonatinca has a reputation beyond reputesonatinca has a reputation beyond reputesonatinca has a reputation beyond reputesonatinca has a reputation beyond reputesonatinca has a reputation beyond reputesonatinca has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choupi
I'm curious to know which surface Russia will choose.
I'm not sure that anyone can predict our Captan decisions

December 1-3, 2006 Moscow - A fairy tale I'll never forget

~*~Also the Proud Member of Mohamed Lahyani Appreciation Society~*~

ˇSOY UN PUMA!

Dream as if you have forever. Live as if you only have today. - James Dean

sonatinca is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote