2008 Vamos Argentina Davis Cup Thread - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-07-2006, 06:39 PM   #46
country flag Vale

Vale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2006 Davis Cup Thread

Calleri said "I left my life out on the court, I have nothing to reproach myself for", and Mancini and the team were very appreciative of all he'd done. Let's face it, Ljubicic is 5 in the world and could be expected to turn around an adverse score! But thanks to the Gordo he was obliged to play for four hours!
Vale is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2006, 08:52 AM   #47
country flag Choupi

Choupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond repute

Discovering about the result only now. Well, I'm sure Calleri gave the best he could. We expect so much in DC because the special spirit and mood contribute sometimes to create some miracles....But yes, it was Ljubo he was playing. We shouldn't forget about that. Time to cheer for the doubles now.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:04 AM   #48
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

He fought so hard and made Ljubo work very hard for the victory and now it's up to the team to take advantage of this situation and try and get the win in the doubles.

It seems that Chucho might be playing doubles today with Nalbandian and they are prepared to face Ancic, but we'll see soon enough.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 12:39 PM   #49
country flag Choupi

Choupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond repute

Awwww Agustin looks so disappointed. I think I'd agree with Rosie here. If he needs some .....

Good luck to the team today.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:07 PM   #50
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

The guys are up 2 sets to 1 that being Chucho and Nalle and they really need to stay focused and win in 4 sets.

Can't waste bp chances either.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-08-2006, 04:08 PM   #51
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Chucho/Nalbandian defeat Ljubicic/Cilic 6-4 6-2 3-6 6-4

Nalbasuso did the job today and thanks for that, but they still have a lot of work to do and they will need Nalbandian to finish it tomorrow.

As much as I like Chucho, Chela and Calleri these aren't guys you want to play for your life.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-08-2006, 05:21 PM   #52
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-08-2006, 06:32 PM   #53
country flag Choupi

Good job guys!! Good luck for tomorrow Argentina.
Old 04-08-2006, 06:54 PM   #54
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

The team of Nalbasuso made the running.

http://www.daviscup.com/news/matchre...id=13748#audio

Argentina takes a step nearer the last four

David Nalbandian and Jose Acasuso defeated Marin Cilic and Ivan Ljubicic 6-4 62 36 64 to give Argentina a 2-1 lead in the Davis Cup by BNP Paribas World Group quarterfinal tie against Croatia in Zagreb. The Argentines have successfully rebounded after losing the opening rubber and are now one step away from a home semifinal tie against Australia.

Both teams made changes from the original nominations. Mario Ancic is nursing a back problem and was replaced by Marin Cilic. And for Argentina, Agustin Calleri , who played and lost a heartbreaker on Friday, was replaced by Jose Acasuso, the best ranked Argentinian doubles player. David Nalbandian was expecting a much tougher match had Ancic played.

"No doubt. It would have been extremely difficult had Ancic played. Marin Cilic is a talented player but made many mistakes at the beginning of the match".

The doubles match looked a pretty easy affair for the most part of the first two sets.
It was a one-way street from the start as Ivan Ljubicic was broken in the very first game of the match and Cilic made some easy volley mistakes under pressure. Acasuso and Nalbandian took full advantage and eased to the first set.

Things got worse for the Croats in the second set. Cilic and Ljubicic both dropped serves, and the match looked all but over. But, as on Friday, Ljubicic led a comeback, taking an early break in the third and holding on to take the set.

Argentina, the better team

The fourth set was also a tight affair. Ljubicic saved two break points in the fourth game as did Acasuso in the ninth before Cilic’s serve was broken. Some poor volleys, deprived the Croats of a fourth set tie-break, but the bottom line of this story is that Argentina was the better team.

Ljubicic was full of praise for Marin Cilic.

"Apart from the first game of the match Cilic played great. It was a great experience. The Argentinians were a better team, but if we took the fourth set, who know. Better and more lucky".

Cilic felt the same as his captain, the rest of the Argentinians, Jose Acasuso, and the captain Alberto Mancini felt it was a "tough match, but Argentina played better in the end".

Croatia in unfamiliar position

The Croatian dream is wearing thin at the moment, as for the first time since 2004 against France in Metz in the Davis Cup World Group first round, Croatia is in the losing position after the doubles. On both occasions, Croatia was without its best doubles team. Now they will have to fight for their lives.

"On Thursday I said we need a miracle. Now I say, we need one surprise, one big, big surprise".

That's how Ivan Ljubicic sees things. Dark cloud still reigns over Mario Ancic fitness, and he is unlikely to play.

"This morning Mario looked more postive, but for him to play on Sunday, if the fifth rubber will be a decider, he must be 100% fit. We hope, but it's a long shot. We certainly want Mario to play, before even thinking about Cilic or Sasa Tuksar".

But first things first. Nalbandian has a chance to put this match out of Croatia’s reach.

"Our chances grow by the day. Ivan is a great player, this surface is fine for both of us. It will be a tough match, we'll see".

On Sunday, Nalbandian takes on Ljubicic in the first of the reverse singles, with Agustin Calleri and Ancic nominated for the fifth rubber

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-08-2006, 11:07 PM   #55
country flag Vale

Vale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats to the Argentine team!!!
Mancini said in a post-match interview that Calleri was in quite a lot of pain after yesterday´s match, which had made the problem in his leg worse, so it´s likely that he won´t be able to play tomorrow and Chela will play the fifth rubber!
Vale is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:13 AM   #56
country flag Choupi

Thanks for the info Vale. Poor Agustin.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:26 AM   #57
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

I hope it doesn't come down to Chela in the 5th match.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-09-2006, 04:09 PM   #58
country flag RogiFan88

RogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, it is... and Chubby is down a set to Tuksar 36 23 so far.

Más vale maña que fuerza -- proverbio español
"Pero, con todos mis respetos para Rafa, Federer tiene más talento." - Marat Safin
"Pero para mí el mejor es Roger Federer. / For me, the best is Roger Federer." - D. Nalbandian
"He's the best sportsman, I think, in the world. He has a lot of humble." - Rafael Nadal
"He's so charismatic." - Marcos Baghdatis
RogiFan88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 04:11 PM   #59
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Foolish choice even if Chela wins this match.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-09-2006, 04:17 PM   #60
country flag Choupi

Too late to whin about the choice now. Can't turn back time. Vamos Chelita!!!