Ranking Watch - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-02-2006, 04:28 PM   #1

Default Ranking Watch

The INDESIT Rankings as of 1/30/06 have Tommy ranked #30, however, Tommy has moved up 11 positions So he is definitely moving in the right direction

Last edited by 16681 : 03-31-2010 at 07:11 PM.
View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2006, 09:10 PM   #2
country flag Alexiana

Alexiana has a reputation beyond reputeAlexiana has a reputation beyond reputeAlexiana has a reputation beyond reputeAlexiana has a reputation beyond reputeAlexiana has a reputation beyond reputeAlexiana has a reputation beyond reputeAlexiana has a reputation beyond reputeAlexiana has a reputation beyond reputeAlexiana has a reputation beyond reputeAlexiana has a reputation beyond reputeAlexiana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ranking Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae
The INDESIT Rankings as of 1/30/06 have Tommy ranked #30, however, Tommy has moved up 11 positions So he is definitely moving in the right direction
in the (no longer existing) race he is 10th
Old 02-02-2006, 10:31 PM   #3
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

Mae you did the right thing starting this thread. Tommy has points to defend at San Jose (which he is not playing this year) and Memphis (which he is) so the next few weeks will be up and down and all around. It's good that we will have a place to keep track of it all.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 11:54 PM   #4
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

Actually Mae, its kind of easy. All you have to do is start a fan site for a player that you become friends with, then spend the next two years of your life trying to figure out all this rankings stuff

Seriously, the easiest way to start is to look at Tommy's activity page at the ATP website and see how well he did last year. Start on his profile page:

http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/...yernumber=H355

click on 'his activity' on the right side, pick the year and click on Singles. Then you can see that he got to the Semi's of San Jose and Memphis, so he got points for that. Points are good for 52 weeks, so those points will come off in February and he will need to earn points to make up for it. So every Sunday night, the ATP subtracts some points, and adds more. Hope that helps a little bit, but I've kind of confused myself now.

{Hope no one else minds, Mae is a relatively new tennis fan and is learning all the technical stuff, so I try to help her whenever it comes up in conversation}.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Old 02-03-2006, 09:45 AM   #5
country flag steph2790

steph2790 has a reputation beyond reputesteph2790 has a reputation beyond reputesteph2790 has a reputation beyond reputesteph2790 has a reputation beyond reputesteph2790 has a reputation beyond reputesteph2790 has a reputation beyond reputesteph2790 has a reputation beyond reputesteph2790 has a reputation beyond reputesteph2790 has a reputation beyond reputesteph2790 has a reputation beyond reputesteph2790 has a reputation beyond repute

yew thats brilliant that hes moving up! number 30 woo! ahh soon he'll be in the top 10 i can see it happening before the end of the year, yep *nods*
Old 02-03-2006, 04:50 PM   #6
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute

Of course Tommy has a good chance to get his ranking up a lot. Just remember 2004 where he started non-ranked in February during his first tournaments and then ended at #17 or something near the end of the year. He has no really big Grand Slam results, nothing mentionable coming from the Masters tournaments. So he has lots of possibilities to gain significant points. For February he will lose some of his biggest ranking items of 2005, the two semifinals which are worth around 200 points I guess. But apart from that he should be in a good position. The problem is now he just needs to deliver and stay healthy Lets see...

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy

Last edited by Neely : 02-03-2006 at 04:52 PM.
Neely is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 06:06 PM   #7
country flag Alexiana

Alexiana has a reputation beyond reputeAlexiana has a reputation beyond reputeAlexiana has a reputation beyond reputeAlexiana has a reputation beyond reputeAlexiana has a reputation beyond reputeAlexiana has a reputation beyond reputeAlexiana has a reputation beyond reputeAlexiana has a reputation beyond reputeAlexiana has a reputation beyond reputeAlexiana has a reputation beyond reputeAlexiana has a reputation beyond repute

I think the thread is a great idea Mae
Old 02-03-2006, 06:58 PM   #8
country flag Fee

Tommy can move up by the end of February. He will pick up points from Delray because he didn't play there last year. He will lose his SF points at San Jose, he has a chance to play Memphis and match his SF there, but he has a chance to pick up points in Las Vegas (which was Scottsdale last year). He lost in the first round last year when he had the flu, so he should get some points there (and he could be seeded). I also think with a good draw, he could pick up a round in Indian Wells and get some points there.

Old 02-04-2006, 06:37 AM   #9
country flag <Eve>
♥ bokehlicious ♥

<Eve> has a reputation beyond repute<Eve> has a reputation beyond repute<Eve> has a reputation beyond repute<Eve> has a reputation beyond repute<Eve> has a reputation beyond repute<Eve> has a reputation beyond repute<Eve> has a reputation beyond repute<Eve> has a reputation beyond repute<Eve> has a reputation beyond repute<Eve> has a reputation beyond repute<Eve> has a reputation beyond repute

I'm also kinda new!! I do know a lot of things already, but it's never wrong to read explanations!! If someone has a problem with it, then he/she just doesn't read the thread.. but i'm happy you started this!! i was curious myself too!!
so thanks fee&neely for the explanations
Old 02-05-2006, 10:41 PM   #10
country flag Princebaseliner

Princebaseliner has a reputation beyond reputePrincebaseliner has a reputation beyond reputePrincebaseliner has a reputation beyond reputePrincebaseliner has a reputation beyond reputePrincebaseliner has a reputation beyond reputePrincebaseliner has a reputation beyond reputePrincebaseliner has a reputation beyond reputePrincebaseliner has a reputation beyond reputePrincebaseliner has a reputation beyond reputePrincebaseliner has a reputation beyond reputePrincebaseliner has a reputation beyond repute

I think he is 29th in the rankings now.
Princebaseliner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 11:30 PM   #11
country flag Fee

Mae, sounds like you are looking at the Champions Race. Ignore that, it doesn't really mean anything right now. Look at the Entry Rankings, that's the one that is used for tournament entries and for seedings at tournaments, and those are the 'points he has to defend.' It will be updated later on today when all tournaments (including Challengers) have finished and posted their final results to the ATP offices.

This week, Tommy earned 175 points for winning Delray, and I don't think he lost any since he didn't play last year. He is 30th in the rankings this week, and this win could move him up to about 26 or 27 (depending on the points of the other guys around him. I always underestimate).

This page might help you a little bit (or confuse you even more, hard to say ).

http://stevegtennis.com/rankings/2006/s013006.htm

Last edited by Fee : 02-06-2006 at 12:28 AM.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:42 PM   #12
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute

Like Fee says Tommy earned 175 points for winning this tournament.
Because these 175 points are now among his best five optional events (a player can only cumulate points to his ranking of the five best optional events), his San Jose SF points (75 points) from last year will not count anymore to his ranking beginning from tomorrow (they would have fallen off the week beginning Feb. 13th anyway).
175 points - 75 points = 100 net points won this week
He entered the week with 940 points, so he should have 1040 by tomorrow (Monday) when you check the ATP site and the updated rankings there. And I can't think of any player around Tommy having some impact on his ranking, so what Pricebaseliner said that he will be #29 should be correct (lets see), but the 1040 should be correct, I guess.
That's all the maths for this week, Mae.

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy

Last edited by Neely : 02-05-2006 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:30 AM   #13
country flag Fee

Thanks Neely, I was way off on my guess. I thought he could keep San Jose for one more week. I've missed a result somewhere. Looks like he will only move up one place after all, bummer.

By 'the players around him' I meant that I had no idea if any of them were losing points or had points to defend or whatever. Sometimes a player you are not looking at didn't play that week and loses points, clearing a space for someone else.

Old 02-06-2006, 01:33 AM   #14
country flag Neely
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fee
By 'the players around him' I meant that I had no idea if any of them were losing points or had points to defend or whatever. Sometimes a player you are not looking at didn't play that week and loses points, clearing a space for someone else.
Exactly. I know what you mean, and we were thinking of the same. Now I understand how misleading and unprecise my wording of 'the having impact' sentence from above was.

Old 02-06-2006, 01:36 AM   #15
country flag Fee

Yes, I re-read your post and we were thinking the same thing.

Well, if Tommy plays well in Memphis (after recovering from Davis Cup) to match those points, I will keep my fingers crossed that he can stay healthy and do well in Las Vegas and Indian Wells in March. I think that is where he can pick up points and really move up the rankings.