Stupid Journalism at Press Conferences - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-01-2004, 02:31 PM   #106
country flag PerezRoldan

PerezRoldan is a splendid one to beholdPerezRoldan is a splendid one to beholdPerezRoldan is a splendid one to beholdPerezRoldan is a splendid one to beholdPerezRoldan is a splendid one to beholdPerezRoldan is a splendid one to beholdPerezRoldan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: No Wonder some plays think Tennis journalists are stupid

Q. Is it difficult to maintain incentive when you already have 18 million in prize money?

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: Absolutely not.

Q. No?

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: Absolutely not. Just because I haven't done well enough in this tournament, that's what keeps me going, not the prize money. Absolutely not.

Q. Would not some of your fellow Russian citizens regard you as having won the Russian lottery to some extent by living the life you live?

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: What kind of life I'm leading? This life is very boring. You know, travel every week, not seeing your family. You guys think it's the best life, but not to the standard of normal person who has family. Although I do have a family. But I very rarely see them. That's the negative side of that.

Q. Do you look forward --?

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: Soon I hope you guys will realise that, when you do write in your reports and newspapers.

Q. But does that mean you in some ways look forward to retiring?

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: Perhaps. Perhaps. Perhaps.

Q. Would you explain your point of view, the tremendous achievements in tennis, the big boom in tennis in Russia beginning in the '90s, especially the women. What are the reasons?

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: Especially in Wimbledon?

Q. The women. But the main reasons from your point of view.

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: I think there are a lot of reasons. First of all, I think women's tennis is a little bit, you know, easier than the men's. That's why we haven't had much male tennis players, you know, being on the top. If you look at the women's, yes, you're right. I think there are a lot of things which is driven those young girls. First of all, it's a desire. For some of them, I was a big, big motivator. You know, the parents thought that if Yevgeny was on the top, why can't my daughter or my son be better than him? And that's why in the early '90s, I mean in the middle of '94, '95, so many parents, you know, give they sons or daughters into the sports. So many great, especially female players, we have at the moment.
PerezRoldan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2004, 04:31 PM   #107
country flag BaselineSmash

BaselineSmash has a reputation beyond reputeBaselineSmash has a reputation beyond reputeBaselineSmash has a reputation beyond reputeBaselineSmash has a reputation beyond reputeBaselineSmash has a reputation beyond reputeBaselineSmash has a reputation beyond reputeBaselineSmash has a reputation beyond reputeBaselineSmash has a reputation beyond reputeBaselineSmash has a reputation beyond reputeBaselineSmash has a reputation beyond reputeBaselineSmash has a reputation beyond repute

One down, three to go.
BaselineSmash is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 08:27 AM   #108
country flag FryslanBoppe

FryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant future

Q. What did Lleyton say to you at the end when you came to the net?

GORAN IVANISEVIC: I told him, "You kick my ass very well." He say, "I didn't." But he said it was an honor for him to play with me. You know, when somebody like Lleyton Hewitt says that, you know -- I'm proud of myself. I'm proud everything what I did in my career. I play with all generations, you know, McEnroe, Connors, with these young guys, with Pete, with Andre. So it's just great. It's great that when I lost, I lost to the Wimbledon Champion and the guy who can win any time if he plays like this.

Q. You never had the idea to suggest to him, "Come on"?

GORAN IVANISEVIC: I didn't have time to say, "Come on." I didn't do anything. But it was okay. I enjoyed it.

Q. One girl said she loves you. And you did a point for her.

GORAN IVANISEVIC: I won a point. And then the other one say. Then nobody says they loves me and I lost two points. And then the guy say he loves me, and then...

Q. Over the past years you've provided us some of the best stories, biggest laughs. Now that you're going to go away, any suggestions what we can do?

GORAN IVANISEVIC: I think you should wait for another Goran. Is going to come. You know, it's change of generation. Every generation has own Goran. So I was the Goran of this generation, you know. I think in the future you going to have some guy who comes. Safin is close, you know. But I don't understand him sometimes, you know. He's Russian. You know, Russians are...

Q. For the future Goran, what's the most important thing for the Goran of tomorrow, the future Goran to keep in mind?

GORAN IVANISEVIC: For me what is most important thing in the future?

Q. Not for you, but for the next Goran.

GORAN IVANISEVIC: The next Goran? To be better than this Goran, you know. I don't know if it's possible with all my comments, but he's going to have to work hard.

Q. Are you going to miss children's TV in Britain?

GORAN IVANISEVIC: Miss what?

Q. Children's TV. Gave you a bit of inspiration.

GORAN IVANISEVIC: Yeah, sure, I going to miss Teletubbies. I didn't watch a lot this year. A lot of football. I changed. But I going to miss everything. This is for me biggest tournament. But I going to miss waiting for the rain to stop.
FryslanBoppe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 11:32 AM   #109
country flag silverwhite

silverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond reputesilverwhite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryslanBoppe
Q. What did Lleyton say to you at the end when you came to the net?

GORAN IVANISEVIC: I told him, "You kick my ass very well." He say, "I didn't." But he said it was an honor for him to play with me. You know, when somebody like Lleyton Hewitt says that, you know -- I'm proud of myself. I'm proud everything what I did in my career. I play with all generations, you know, McEnroe, Connors, with these young guys, with Pete, with Andre. So it's just great. It's great that when I lost, I lost to the Wimbledon Champion and the guy who can win any time if he plays like this.

Q. You never had the idea to suggest to him, "Come on"?

GORAN IVANISEVIC: I didn't have time to say, "Come on." I didn't do anything. But it was okay. I enjoyed it.

Q. One girl said she loves you. And you did a point for her.

GORAN IVANISEVIC: I won a point. And then the other one say. Then nobody says they loves me and I lost two points. And then the guy say he loves me, and then...

Q. Over the past years you've provided us some of the best stories, biggest laughs. Now that you're going to go away, any suggestions what we can do?

GORAN IVANISEVIC: I think you should wait for another Goran. Is going to come. You know, it's change of generation. Every generation has own Goran. So I was the Goran of this generation, you know. I think in the future you going to have some guy who comes. Safin is close, you know. But I don't understand him sometimes, you know. He's Russian. You know, Russians are...

Q. For the future Goran, what's the most important thing for the Goran of tomorrow, the future Goran to keep in mind?

GORAN IVANISEVIC: For me what is most important thing in the future?

Q. Not for you, but for the next Goran.

GORAN IVANISEVIC: The next Goran? To be better than this Goran, you know. I don't know if it's possible with all my comments, but he's going to have to work hard.

Q. Are you going to miss children's TV in Britain?

GORAN IVANISEVIC: Miss what?

Q. Children's TV. Gave you a bit of inspiration.

GORAN IVANISEVIC: Yeah, sure, I going to miss Teletubbies. I didn't watch a lot this year. A lot of football. I changed. But I going to miss everything. This is for me biggest tournament. But I going to miss waiting for the rain to stop.

It's going to be a tough task for anyone to reach Goran's standard.
silverwhite is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 11:00 AM   #110
country flag Zetlandsk

Zetlandsk is a splendid one to beholdZetlandsk is a splendid one to beholdZetlandsk is a splendid one to beholdZetlandsk is a splendid one to beholdZetlandsk is a splendid one to beholdZetlandsk is a splendid one to beholdZetlandsk is a splendid one to behold

Q. Where are all these great Argentinian players coming from?

BENITO PEREZ-BARBADILLO: From Argentina, no (laughter)?
Zetlandsk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 01:39 PM   #111
country flag Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium will become famous soon enough

THE 1997 LIPTON CHAMPIONSHIPS
Key Biscayne, FL

March 26, 1997

AN INTERVIEW WITH
HENDRIK DREEKMANN

JOE LYNCH: Hendrik Dreekmann has been forced to withdraw from his quarterfinal match due to a sprained ankle. Dr. Charles Virgin, the tournament doctor, is here for questions as well as Hendrik. We're ready for the first question.

Q. Hendrik, can you tell us exactly how the injury occurred?

HENDRIK DREEKMANN: You mean how it happened?

Q. Yes.

HENDRIK DREEKMANN: Yeah. Last night I came back from dinner and I went back to my hotel, and there was something on the street, like a speed bump or something. I didn't see it, it was dark. I just twisted my ankle. I didn't see it, that's why.

Q. You were in the street, not on the sidewalk?

HENDRIK DREEKMANN: No. I was coming from Bayside back to Intercontinental. You walk through that street there, it's dark, and you don't see much.

Q. On the sidewalk?

HENDRIK DREEKMANN: Yes.

Q. A speed bump is usually in the middle of the road.

HENDRIK DREEKMANN: Yeah.

Q. Used to slow cars down.

HENDRIK DREEKMANN: I know. I don't know why there is one.

Q. If you were on the sidewalk then, it wasn't a speed bump?

HENDRIK DREEKMANN: Yeah, it was something like this, like this high, yellow (indicating).

Q. But you were on the sidewalk?

HENDRIK DREEKMANN: Yeah. There is no cars going there.

Q. And how high would you say off the ground this obstruction was?

HENDRIK DREEKMANN: Like this (indicating).

Q. Bad luck.

HENDRIK DREEKMANN: Yeah, thanks.

Q. Dr. Virgin, can you tell us typically with this injury how long a player will be unable to train?

DR. VIRGIN: The operative word is "train." We'll begin him training in about three to five days, training from the standpoint of getting the injury recovered. Able to play, definition probably represents at the earliest ten days to two weeks. A great deal depends on the evolution of this particular injury. It's quite a severe sprain. It involves both sides of the ankle joint and several large ligaments. One would anticipate with the ability to spend a significant amount of time in corrective rehab with exercise and the kinds of guidance that the training team with the ATP has, there's a good chance it will be recovered very quickly.

Q. Is there an MRI performed on this?

DR. VIRGIN: No. This was initially felt to be severe enough that it might have been fractured, so the first evaluation is by standard x-ray. Stress testing of the ligaments and examination of the distribution of swelling characteristically helps you determine which ligament complex is involved. MRI at this point would be a little difficult to interpret because of the massive amount of swelling. As the swelling begins to dissipate, it will probably be within the course of his management that an MRI will be done. It is such a significant injury that there's no question, he's not going to be able to play now. The development of a clinical path is fairly simple.

Q. Hendrik, how soon did you realize you weren't going to be able to play? Was it sometime late last night?

HENDRIK DREEKMANN: I felt something last night, but I was still hoping I might be able to play today. But this morning, I couldn't move my feet, nothing. It was impossible.

Q. How did you sleep last night? Were you able to sleep?

HENDRIK DREEKMANN: No, not really. I was awake almost the whole night. I was icing it a very lot. It was hurting very much. I couldn't sleep. I didn't know how to put my leg, that's why.

Q. Who were you dining with last night?

HENDRIK DREEKMANN: My coach.

Q. Did he help you back to your hotel after?

HENDRIK DREEKMANN: Yeah, sure.

Q. Did you seek any treatment last night at all or not till this morning?

HENDRIK DREEKMANN: Yeah. I got a bandage and ice.

Q. But on your own. Did you get to a physician last night?

HENDRIK DREEKMANN: No, no.

Q. So when it was painful during the night, you realized you needed more help today?

HENDRIK DREEKMANN: Yeah.

Q. Can you talk about your feelings that you've come so far in this tournament and then this fluke accident happens.

HENDRIK DREEKMANN: I just can't believe it. It's so unlucky because I was playing really well the whole week. I was thinking about maybe I have a chance today to win. I felt pretty good. Now I have this problem, and this is really bad for me.

Q. Have you ever had to withdraw from a tournament before because of injury?

HENDRIK DREEKMANN: Yeah, before a tournament I had to withdraw, but not when I won already three or four rounds.

Q. Were you thinking throughout this tournament, "This is my lucky tournament, Boris Becker has had to withdraw, so I'm able to -- not that you would have necessarily lost or won, but that did make it a little easier since he was not able to play, and here you were running through this tournament all the way to the quarterfinals? Do you feel some luck?

HENDRIK DREEKMANN: Now I feel just unlucky. It's all I'm thinking of. I had some nice days the last week, but now I feel just unlucky. That's all I can say.
Richard Cranium is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 05:52 AM   #112
country flag UseTheSearchTool

UseTheSearchTool is just really niceUseTheSearchTool is just really niceUseTheSearchTool is just really niceUseTheSearchTool is just really nice

1992 U.S. OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP
Flushing Meadows, New York, NY
September 6, 1992

I. LENDL/C. Adams
2-6, 6-4, 6-3, 6-4

INTERVIEW WITH
IVAN LENDL
Q. Ivan, we had, for the second straight interview with your opponent, we had Chuck Adams in here saying, of you, he doesn't play like he used to. I am baiting him with short balls. He lets you back-in points. In order for him to win it, he has got to loosen up and go for it, some of-- sort of the same stuff Connors was saying the other night. I guess-- your response?

IVAN LENDL: I don't care what they say.

Q. Not that you don't care, but you also disagree?

IVAN LENDL: I disagree, because why I would play hard against Connors and let him eat me up with pace? He loves pace. He hates it when you hit it short and slow to his forehand. He just can't stand it. I mean, if you hit hard to his forehand or to his backhand, he would take the ball early and attack you and eat you up. It would be stupid. And Chuck over here was hitting the ball really well. Also when I had looped the ball a little bit to his backhand and I chipped it to his backhand, all of a sudden he started making some errors. If you hit it hard, he just hits it hard down the line and comes in. I mean, it is, you know, if I will see that it is helping me, I am going to do it. But I am not going to do it when I will see it is hurting me.

Q. So you are ready to change your game, until the time comes, do what you need to do?

IVAN LENDL: Yes. You got to play what is right. Just shouldn't go out there and hit your head against the wall. I have been around long enough to know better than that. I have been hitting slice backhands to Connors' forehand for eight years. He hasn't beaten me once. Why should I change that? It worked 17 times. It has worked 17 times. Does he think I'm so stupid only because he doesn't like it, or what?

Q. You have been down now last match in this one, down a set, and a break to begin the second one. Why that kind of a start?

IVAN LENDL: Well, I had a little trouble with my timing today. Chuck started really well, and I started awful and it took me a while to get my rhythm, especially my backhand, and once I started serving better, it was better.

Q. That was the pattern in the other two matches too, that you just sort of-- the timing wasn't there to begin with?

IVAN LENDL: No, I started -- he had a good chance winning that first one 6-1. As with Jimmy, he played extremely well in the first set. Were you at all in terms of what it means for future matches in this turn? What happens in the first set means nothing. What happens on the last point means everything.

Q. What the were the wind conditions like and do you think your experience helped you dealing with that?

IVAN LENDL: I wasn't bad. One instant at the end of the second set at 4-All in the second set, I felt it from the umpires left side. I was serving down wind and maybe it caught Chuck a little bit by surprise after that, because he doublefaulted three times, very next game. It was very difficult to keep the second ball in play because the wind was throwing your toss forward; then it is hard to keep topspin on it.
Q. Earlier in the year at French you were talking about you will go for it; you were going to go down swinging. Do you find it sort of ironic, last two matches, you have changed your style so dramatically, these guys come in and start talking like this about the way you are playing?
IVAN LENDL: You know, everybody like to say something, and I had guess if you ask them you would have to get an answer, but I think you have to be flexible enough to play the way you think you should, what you think is the best way to play.

Q. When you get down a set, you sort of just mentally shrug it off because you have had much experience and don't get rattled by it?

IVAN LENDL: Three out of five, one set doesn't mean anything. Two sets doesn't mean everything either. It means a lot, but not everything. I have won some matches from two sets to love down and lost two sets to love up. Why should I get really rattled with one set?

Q. If you play Boris, what do you anticipate other than the usual way you play him?

IVAN LENDL: Well, he I haven't played him for a while actually, but I am sure he is going to serve well, and come to the net and I will have to pass well, and attack it myself.

Q. It bothers you that you don't-- somehow you are not getting what might seem to be the kind of respect you deserve with your record, from a guy like Chuck Adams, you know, you have earned-- you have shown that you could win anything, anywhere, any time and yet he seems to be saying this guy has got to do this or that. Who is he?

IVAN LENDL: It is sort of, I mean, I have to sort of chuckle at that when he says, oh, he doesn't play the -- as he used to because I never played him before, so, it is some kind of difficult to compare, I guess, but maybe he can do it, I don't know.

Q. Is there any danger at all of these kind of starts catching up with you especially against somebody like Becker when your competition is going to get much tougher?

IVAN LENDL: Richard, it is really funny how it works; sometimes you start really quick, and play well, sometimes you start quick and don't play well and lose the match. Some other times you start awful and finish well, and some other times you start awful and finish that way. It seems to go in patches, and there is no pattern to it. At least, I have haven't figured it out why, if it has to do with the warm-up before the match or longer time between practice and the match. I haven't figured it out yet, so I gave up worrying about it and I know that sooner or later it will turn around and I will be starting really quick, maybe a break up immediately and so on and so on, and in Cincinnati I started like that. I played first four matches. I started with a break in the first game on the opponent's serve, and won the first set every time too.

Q. When you go to a baseball game and see somebody bunt the ball, do you see any resemblance between what you do on forehand down the line?

IVAN LENDL: I wouldn't call forehand down the line a bunt exactly. It is a fairly -- if it is a bunt like then why does Chuck duck when he is hitting that? I don't understand the duck is sort of contrary to itself, doesn't it?

Q. Would you say that they are talking sour grapes; they are bad losers, these guys?

IVAN LENDL: Certainly not very gracious, let us put it that way. I mean, if it is such a bad play, if you call it bunting, if it is such a bad play, how come they didn't beat me? I don't know.

Q. Is there any extent to which you would agree that you aren't playing the way you used to, any area where you weren't?

IVAN LENDL: Yeah, I agree with that that I go under the ball more than I used to when I have to. I go over the ball when I have to. But as I was saying before, why should I give somebody who likes pace, the pace. Did you see the match yesterday between Sampras and Martin? I played Martin in Canada myself, and he started with a break up. He was hitting his backhand off my backhand, top spin, down the line, four winners; he broke me for second service game, and then I started chipping to his backhand and I won three and two and yesterday what happened when Sampras was leading, he was hitting the ball, and Martin, all of a sudden, was eating him up. And then Sampras fell behind; started chipping the ball and Martin started missing. I mean, what is wrong with that? It is just smart play. Something doesn't work or, you know, it is not going to work, so you change it.
UseTheSearchTool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 02:04 PM   #113
country flag rassklovn

rassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to behold

Interview with Gaudio in Cincinatti

Q. I've never been out of North America so anything across the pond is amazing to me. It seems so exotic. Cincinnati doesn't have that exotic sound to it like Paris and Rome.

GASTON GAUDIO: No, it doesn't. But, I mean, it has other things - like playing golf. In Rome you cannot play golf anywhere, you know. Here, you can play golf and relax. It's easy, you know. Like the main cities, you go out just to do some stuff out there. But here you take it easy and you relax. It's good for tennis.

Q. Plus, we have the Eiffel Tower here. Which one's better, the one here or the one in Paris?

GASTON GAUDIO: Which one? I didn't see one...

Q. In King's Island.

GASTON GAUDIO: Oh, yeah. I prefer the other one (smiling). Sorry.

Q. Talk a little bit about life after the French Open. I mean, have things changed for you?

GASTON GAUDIO: My personal life didn't change so much. I mean, still the same friends. Same things, you know, my coach, my trainer. But maybe in the outside, like going somewhere in Buenos Aires or going to a shopping, they recognize me more than before. But I try to enjoy that. I feel okay. It's like not a big deal.

Q. What has it done for your tennis?

GASTON GAUDIO: What has it what?

Q. What has it done for your tennis? Mentally, has it helped you at all, the win, the French Open win?

GASTON GAUDIO: Yeah, of course. That give me -- that give me so much confidence, no? I am playing like a little bit more relaxed and taking the match a little bit easier and don't get so pissed off, mad, you know, like before (smiling). So, yeah, I'm feeling okay with that.
rassklovn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 02:25 PM   #114
country flag rassklovn

rassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Stupid Journalist Questions at Press Conferences

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
Now I can understand why Rios is a bit of a prick with some journalists. I was doing some research and came across this interview. This transcript shows that intelligence isn't always necessary to have a job as a tennis journalist.

MONTE CARLO, MONACO
April 19, 1994
C. DOSEDEL/M. Rosset
6-2, 6-3
AN INTERVIEW WITH
MARC ROSSET
Q. Nice and Monte Carlo was a bad start for the season.

MARC ROSSET: Why do you think Nice was bad?

Q. But it didn't work out well.

MARC ROSSET: Well, if you think a semifinal for the first tournament on clay in the season is a bad result, then my season is going to be very difficult.

Q. But we thought you would be able to go to the finals.

MARC ROSSET: Well, I am sorry that I disappointed you.

Q. The conditions today were quite difficult with the clay, the balls?

MARC ROSSET: Yes, it is more complicated for me. It is better on fast surfaces where the rallies are shorter, but with heavy balls and slow clay like here, it is more complicated for me, and also I can't rely on my forehand and serve to make so many points.

Q. But you know you should win that kind of match to improve your ranking?

MARC ROSSET: I think I know what I have to do; I have been for many years on the circuit so I think I know what I have to do.

Q. But you are not happy that you didn't improve your ranking better?

MARC ROSSET: Of course I would like to go further.

Q. Are you happy that you lost?

MARC ROSSET: Happy? Delighted.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:27 PM   #115
country flag rassklovn

Go Dave, love your work from 2004 Australian Open.

Q. He made 55 unforced errors to 30 in your case. You must be disappointed in the result.

DAVID NALBANDIAN: I don't care about the statistics so... The match is enough, to win or to lose. Simple.

Q. What was the difference between last year and this year?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: What difference? Because why I won?

Q. You beat him.

DAVID NALBANDIAN: So?

Q. Just the main points.

DAVID NALBANDIAN: Every match is different. I can't say I played bad. So I think the match was very, very close. So not much difference. Just, I don't know. I don't know how many points he won or how many points I won. But the difference was in the big moments he played better, better than me. I have a lot breakpoints and he served really good. So he played little better.

Q. Was it a problem for you that you hadn't had a real hard test before in this tournament? You won so easily every match before.

DAVID NALBANDIAN: No.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:46 PM   #116
country flag rassklovn

The great Woodforde vs Ivanisevic battle of the press room.

MARK WOODFORDE

Q. If you could sum it up in a couple of words, how did that feel?

MARK WOODFORDE: He just won with his serve. That was all. Once the points extended past, you know, either a doublefault or an ace or a missed return, I felt like I was doing okay, but he just served me off the court, basically, that is all. Goran has his serve and not much else, so it seems like he has got it back going together with his serve. Over in the year he had the yips with it totally and, you know, wasn't putting them in. He had poor results and then, you know, probably from grass courts on he seems to have, you know, just -- got back into to sync with it. He is starting to win. He wins with his serve. It is not much else that he wins with it.

Q. Is that a fault in the men's game that a guy can go out there and just serve people off the court and not really have to structure points?

MARK WOODFORDE: Well, I don't see what the attraction is. I can't believe that the game is going that way and the fans want to see tennis like that. What do you want to see? There is nothing happening. It is just a big serve and nothing else. His games were going by so quickly. I think that is why he probably -- when he is not having a good day and someone returns his serve back all the time and he sort of blows up because what else can he do? I just -- for me, I mean, if I was watching tennis, I wouldn't go and watch a guy like him play because what does he do? He doesn't do anything except serve, but he is still one of the stars of the game. He has developed it and that is great. It is a beautiful serve to watch. It is very natural, but I wouldn't -- if I was paying money to come to the US Open, I wouldn't go and sit by his court. (Laughs)

Q. On McEnroe good days when he was -- obviously different kind of serve, but even on McEnroe good days, were you able to guess right?

MARK WOODFORDE: Well, when probably -- when McEnroe was playing, I mean, he didn't serve up to -- I don't know exactly, but I would doubt whether he was serving consistently 120 odd like Goran was today. McEnroe certainly had fantastic disguise, but he also had a lot more to his game, I think.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:50 PM   #117
country flag rassklovn

Goran Ivanisevic

Q. Woodforde was in here. He said that you have a serve and not much else. He wouldn't pay to watch you play tennis. What are your views on his comment?

GORAN IVANISEVIC: I don't know, he once -- he doesn't like me too much. He wanted to hit me today with this ball. Actually he hit me and he didn't say sorry, but he said once he is better player than me, but I don't see how, the way he is, the way his game is, man, it is very tough to watch. I think it is time for him to retire singles. In doubles, he is still good, because he still can cover half the court, but he looks very poor at the court. Pretty old, can't move, with that shitty backhand you can't beat anybody. If I have son, just show Woodforde picture, you can't play tennis like him otherwise, man --

Q. Apart from that, what is it between you?

GORAN IVANISEVIC: Me and him?

Q. Yeah.

GORAN IVANISEVIC: I don't have nothing against him, but he always talks how bad I am, but you cannot be bad and beat second in the world and Top-10 for six years, and at least he hit me on the purpose, I was at the net. He had straight forehand to me. He had a smash. He could -- I turned my back and he hit me, I don't know, somewhere he hit me, he didn't say sorry. So he hates me. But then I hit an ace after that and that kills him. I see on his face, those guys are poor, they can't do anything and then they hit you, it is a poor thing.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:56 PM   #118
Tennis Fool

Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute

"I have nothing against him"
Tennis Fool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 02:56 PM   #119
Layla

Layla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLayla has a reputation beyond repute

OMG, Goran! Classic!
Layla is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 02:58 PM   #120
country flag rassklovn

This is one of my favourite threads, there are some great ones on here.