Stupid Journalism at Press Conferences - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-16-2004, 12:19 PM   #76
country flag rassklovn

rassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: No Wonder some plays think Tennis journalists are stupid

Q. He wants to know how you do your training, because there's only you and Mike Chang who are shorter players among the top ten. What do you do specifically for training to be able to play against the very tall players?

MARCELO RIOS: I think it's not a very smart question. Really nothing. Everybody has his size. Not that different because I'm small or big. We practice the same, try to do the best. Not because you're short or bigger, you're going to play different.
rassklovn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2004, 02:57 AM   #77
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

1994 U.S. OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP
Flushing Meadows, New York

September 3, 1994

T. MUSTER/ T. ENQVIST

6-0, 6-4, 6-2

THOMAS MUSTER

Q. Are you and the chair umpire on best of terms again?

THOMAS MUSTER: I don't have a problem with Richard. He just -- he doesn't see very well. That is his problem. That is the only thing. But we have heard it a few times before about him. That is his thing. He is a real nice guy, sometimes messes up, I mean...

Q. You seem to have a lot of support out there. Are they Austrians or just American fans or what?

THOMAS MUSTER: I don't know. I am not a resident here, so, it must be Austrian. I don't know if I am that famous. No, I think I got some fans here, particularly what happened in '89, I think, Key Biscayne, many Americans, they like the way I fought back and many times I have been asked about this. So I think they like this kind of attitude and I think they like the way I play and so they are also behind me.

Q. This is the tournament that a lot of players like to have a lot of comments about the problems here. Have you come to like it more over the years you have played here?

THOMAS MUSTER: I am telling you, the more you win here, the more you like it. I would put it that way. If you come here with an attitude, say I hate hamburgers; I hate the planes; I hate the city; I hate the travel, then stay home. That is the only reason. If you come here and you just accept what is happening, otherwise it is very difficult. You can't compare Australia or European or the tradition of England or Paris even the Australian Open, it is different.

Q. In other words, you have learned to love of Flushing Meadow; is that fair to say?

THOMAS MUSTER: Amazing, history about the city, everything, you know, I really learned a lot in Flushing. My English improved, I guess, everything. I know the Hamburger prizes, it is just fantastic -- No, I like the city. I like to stay here two weeks, but I am really happy to leave then.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 04:19 AM   #78
country flag FryslanBoppe

FryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant future

1996 U.S. OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP

August 29, 1996

S. BRUGUERA/M. Stich

6-3, 6-2, 6-4

An interview with:

MICHAEL STICH

Q. What happened?

MICHAEL STICH: Nothing.
FryslanBoppe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 04:20 AM   #79

FryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant future

Q. Did you ask for a wildcard at any of the other Grand Slams?

MATS WILANDER: Did I ask for a wildcard?

Q. Yes, to play any other Grand Slams.

MATS WILANDER: Are you talking about next year?

Q. This year.

MATS WILANDER: This year is finished. This is the last one.

Q. Did you ask for any of the other?

MATS WILANDER: I had a wildcard in Australia, and I had a wildcard in the French, and I had a wildcard here.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:08 AM   #80
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

1994 U.S. OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP

August 30, 1994

M. ROSSET/M. Woodforde

4-6, 1-6, 6-3, 7-6, 6-3

AN INTERVIEW WITH MARC ROSSET

Q. Have you ever been down two sets to Love before and come back?

MARC ROSSET: Yes, I think in all the Grand Slams I was down 6-Love and comeback.

Q. When was the last?

MARC ROSSET: The last one was, I think it was in French once I was two set to Love down against Chuck Adams and I came back, yeah, I think that was the last time.

Q. Do you feel that much better for winning?

MARC ROSSET: Sorry.

Q. Do you feel that much better about your victory because you're so far down?

MARC ROSSET: No, I mean, I knew it's going to be a first tough round for me against Mark Woodforde because he's playing very well and-- he's serve and volley and it was tough for me to play from the baseline and maybe I was too nervous and I want to make me -- I wanted the point too fast from the baseline and then I start maybe to relax a little bit more after breaking a racket, I feel more relaxed and I play better.

Q. When did you break your racket?

MARC ROSSET: After two set to Love I break the racket and then I start to play well.

Q. Do you think you loosened up maybe after --

MARC ROSSET: Sorry.

Q. When you got that far down do you think you loosened up a little?

MARC ROSSET: When you play best of five it's always different than when you play a normal circuit ATP tour and I play also Davis Cup best of five, so I'm more experience maybe and even when I'm two set to Love down, I'm not worried because I knew that you have to concentrate on the next set. It is not over, the guy to win that set to beat you, you always have a chance to come back and win that set in the match and that's what I did today.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-20-2004, 07:14 AM   #81
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Q. A lot of people like coming to the states; it doesn't sound that this has been a good place for you the last couple of weeks?

GORAN IVANISEVIC: I mean, it is not bad, but it is different. Europe is much better than the states.

Q. Why is that?

GORAN IVANISEVIC: For me, because first food is-- here food is not good. If you eat those Mac Donald cheeseburgers hamburgers you go to the hospital forever. But they got used to here because they eating all their life, these things but they didn't get used to those, this food, but I am eating okay. I was eating good food. I went to some Italian restaurant, but I don't know. Probably the air, something is wrong, I don't know what. I don't hate -- I like America, but I don't know, last year I didn't felt like this year. I wasn't sick, but this year when I came from first day, I was sick, everyday, I had some problems here. I don't know why.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 05-03-2004, 09:21 AM   #82

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. After the Masters Cup in Houston, when have you started preparing for the year 2004?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: When?

Q. Yeah.

DAVID NALBANDIAN: December.

Q. In December. You were about one month holidays?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: No, no, no, less. Little less. I finish it, I think, on 10 or 12 in Houston, of November.

Q. What's important during your training? What's important for you to eat? What are important things?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: I think food is very important - very, very important, for recover your physic in December. And either way, in Australia, it's too hot so you have to be careful with everything.

Q. What are exactly important things do you eat?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: I have to tell you (smiling)?

THE MODERATOR: Questions about the match first, if you don't mind.

Q. Was a completely different match from the one you played against Fabrice in Madrid a few years ago. Do you remember?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: Yeah, yeah, was different. Right now is clay courts. Last match was indoors - so fast, with altitude. So I think I play very good today. I feel good on the court. Yesterday I played very long match and today I feel perfect, so I'm very happy for that.

Q. Were you afraid of recovery from yesterday's match?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: No.

Q. You're feeling okay physically?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: Perfect.

Q. You can play three hours?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: (Nodding his head yes). I hope no play like that, but...

Q. Fabrice says that, in his opinion, you're a better player on hard court than clay. Do you agree with him?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: Yeah, I agree.

Q. Yeah? Clay is not your favorite surface?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: No, but I think I can play good also.

Q. But you said it was different match because it was indoor, but you can also play very well indoor.

DAVID NALBANDIAN: Yeah, well, but some time you don't play your best tennis, and I think that day I didn't feel good, and Fabrice played a good match.

Q. He just told us that you could be No. 1. What do you feel about it?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: I think is not impossible. You have to work very hard. I think I'm gonna try to do it, but this year with my injury in my ankle, I didn't start the year very good. But I'm gonna try. I think I have many months to still work on it, and I think I have a chance.

Q. What about playing Coria now?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: Oh, is gonna be a tough match. We play together when we was maybe 10 or 12 years. So he know me too much, I know him a lot. Is gonna be a very tough match, and I hope try to do my best tomorrow.

Q. Last time you had to play against him it was in the final in Basel.

DAVID NALBANDIAN: Yeah, but we didn't play.

Q. So last time you played him was...?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: February last year in Argentina. I lost 7-6 in the third.

Q. What is your tactic against Coria?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: Tactic? I have to think about it.

Q. How many hours do you play tennis a day?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: Depends. Depends my ankle. But normally I play between three and four hours a day.

Q. Do you still like it, or is it..?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: If I don't like it, I didn't do it.

Q. Did you hold up with your ankle today?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: Yeah, perfect.

Q. Even when you were sliding?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I feel every day better.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:54 AM   #83
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

sigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
Q. A lot of people like coming to the states; it doesn't sound that this has been a good place for you the last couple of weeks?

GORAN IVANISEVIC: I mean, it is not bad, but it is different. Europe is much better than the states.

Q. Why is that?

GORAN IVANISEVIC: For me, because first food is-- here food is not good. If you eat those Mac Donald cheeseburgers hamburgers you go to the hospital forever. But they got used to here because they eating all their life, these things but they didn't get used to those, this food, but I am eating okay. I was eating good food. I went to some Italian restaurant, but I don't know. Probably the air, something is wrong, I don't know what. I don't hate -- I like America, but I don't know, last year I didn't felt like this year. I wasn't sick, but this year when I came from first day, I was sick, everyday, I had some problems here. I don't know why.
OK.......
sigmagirl91 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 08:03 AM   #84
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl91
OK.......
Well it is shit food and that is all Goran is saying albeit in a very cheeky way.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 05-04-2004, 08:12 AM   #85
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Not necessarily stupid, but it's very funny anyway. It was about Spain making the DC final in 2000.

Q. For Spanish tennis, what will it mean really to reach the final of Davis Cup for Spanish tennis?

JUAN CARLOS FERRERO: This is difficult.

Q. What does that mean? Now this has been history today. What will this mean for Spanish tennis?

JUAN BALCELLS: It's a difficult question.

ALBERT COSTA: What does that mean for Spanish tennis?

ALEX CORRETJA: Well, a bit of surprise.

JUAN BALCELLS: It means the dream which becomes reality and that's it. (Laughter.) What else can I tell you really?

ALBERT COSTA: Yes, we are here just to win and that's it.

ALEX CORRETJA: It means that the work means something and the technical committee and the colleagues and the players, I mean to work very hard just means the result. And if all the physical work, et cetera, and training and sacrifices, that without all this, we wouldn't be here. This is the only way. Juan Carlos has been working very hard; otherwise, at 20 years old he wouldn't be here. I've been working three years. Albert, all the others, all the technical team, everybody, our doctor, all the coaches, et cetera, everybody has been working very hard indeed to arrive here today.

JUAN CARLOS FERRERO: This is what I wanted to say. (Laughter.) (Applause.)

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 05-04-2004, 10:33 AM   #86
country flag Rex

Rex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond repute

The jounalist is a bit stupid, hard to imagine that someone that dumb can go and interview players, i think s/he needs some help.

:HELP:
Srichaphan- The Thai- ger of tennis.
Safin - The of tennis.
Bagdatis- The quotesman of tennis "my coach will watch, i will sleep with my girlfriend"
Kiefer- The naive guy, "yeh, me and seb are good friends"
Santoro- The double handed wizard of tennis.
Lopez- IS my hair right? IS my lipstick right?
Moya- The tatoo and muscles of tennis (although nadal kicks his ass in that department).
Tipsarevic- The tatoo of tennis, competing with moya.
Djokovic- Stole Jiri's surname

Sorry if I left out your favourite, just PM me to let me know-- thanks.
Rex is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 08:30 PM   #87
country flag Satanic Pasteur

Satanic Pasteur has a reputation beyond reputeSatanic Pasteur has a reputation beyond reputeSatanic Pasteur has a reputation beyond reputeSatanic Pasteur has a reputation beyond reputeSatanic Pasteur has a reputation beyond reputeSatanic Pasteur has a reputation beyond reputeSatanic Pasteur has a reputation beyond reputeSatanic Pasteur has a reputation beyond reputeSatanic Pasteur has a reputation beyond reputeSatanic Pasteur has a reputation beyond reputeSatanic Pasteur has a reputation beyond repute

Hamburg, 11 May 2004

Press Conference with RAINER SCHÜTTLER

Burgsmüller – Schüttler 6:4, 6:7 (5), 6:4

Q: Is comfort and pity important to you?

SCHUETTLER: I don’t need comfort or pity. I made my own mistakes. I’ll try to go on court next week not repeating these mistakes. Comfort and pity are not important to me. I’ll try to practice well tomorrow and work on my tennis. That’s my job and I can’t do any more.

Q: Nothing will change working with Dirk?

SCHUETTLER: Why?

Q: Maybe keep a bit of a distance because of the first round loss?

SCHUETTLER: I don’t know where this question is coming from. We’ve been working together for 12 years and in the 9 years of my professional career my ranking kept going up, and right now I’m number 5 of the world. Therefore I don’t know why we should change something within our team.
Satanic Pasteur is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 08:53 PM   #88
country flag Socket

Socket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond reputeSocket has a reputation beyond repute

My all-time favorite stupid question from a "journalist" was the person who, one year, asked each and every player at Wimbledon whether he or she liked strawberries. Every player, every press conference.
Socket is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 04:26 PM   #89
gaga learns to rock

gaga learns to rock has a reputation beyond reputegaga learns to rock has a reputation beyond reputegaga learns to rock has a reputation beyond reputegaga learns to rock has a reputation beyond reputegaga learns to rock has a reputation beyond reputegaga learns to rock has a reputation beyond reputegaga learns to rock has a reputation beyond reputegaga learns to rock has a reputation beyond reputegaga learns to rock has a reputation beyond reputegaga learns to rock has a reputation beyond reputegaga learns to rock has a reputation beyond repute

ohhhh…..Rios!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You say that best when you say nothing at all~~

some more:
------------------------
’still argue?’
2004 TMS Nasdaq 100 Open (Miami)

Q. I guess I would still argue that you won one Slam; Juan Carlos has won one Slam.

MARAT SAFIN: Yeah. But, sorry, where you can see me on TV in the United States? Where? You think that they really care about Safin in a match in Indian Wells first round? Nobody cares.
For the same reason. Tennis is so --they don't promote it very well. They don't get enough hours to show on TV because it's not entertaining anymore. That's the main reason. That's the main reason that the people like us, like Ferrero, Federer and Safin and Roddick okay, Roddick, because he is American, but normally, nobody really knows the players and not really interested to watch these kind of matches.

Q. So it's the media's fault?

MARAT SAFIN: I don't know who's fault but definitely not mine. It's somebody who has to deal with for example, here's a person from ATP. You can blame them for that, for not promoting the tennis the way it should be promoted and not getting enough hours on the TV. It has to be either certain hours, so at least the people can see sometimes tennis.

Q. I guess I would still argue...

MARAT SAFIN: Yeah, it's okay, you can argue. You don't have to tell me.

Q. You're more popular than a Ferrero. Spanish players in general have never been that popular, if you go back, in the States.

MARAT SAFIN: And? What's your point?

Q. I don't know.

MARAT SAFIN: But make your point. You don't know.

Q. Just wondering why. You lived in Spain. Is it something about...

MARAT SAFIN: It's nothing in particular about Spanish players. I mean, the Spanish players, they are quiet, famous enough in Europe….
Old 05-23-2004, 04:29 PM   #90
gaga learns to rock

gaga learns to rock has a reputation beyond reputegaga learns to rock has a reputation beyond reputegaga learns to rock has a reputation beyond reputegaga learns to rock has a reputation beyond reputegaga learns to rock has a reputation beyond reputegaga learns to rock has a reputation beyond reputegaga learns to rock has a reputation beyond reputegaga learns to rock has a reputation beyond reputegaga learns to rock has a reputation beyond reputegaga learns to rock has a reputation beyond reputegaga learns to rock has a reputation beyond repute

What a tongue-twister Q&A!~~~
04 Nasdaq 100 Open:

Q. Who's going to play the other singles for Spain?

CARLOS MOYA: Who do you think is gonna play the singles (smiling)?

Q. Besides yourself.

CARLOS MOYA: You think I'm going to play?

Q. I hope so. Do you think you're going to play?

CARLOS MOYA: I don't know. I hope (smiling).