Stupid Journalism at Press Conferences - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-15-2004, 02:32 PM   #61
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No Wonder some plays think Tennis journalists are stupid

Q. Andrei, how much are you likely to travel this year?

ANDREI CHESNOKOV: Today, I don't like to travel. I don't like to travel.

Q. So are you not going to travel to a lot of tournaments or what?

ANDREI CHESNOKOV: I will, I will. If we're going to continue to working, I think I have to travel.

Q. We'll see you everywhere.

ANDREI CHESNOKOV: I cannot promise you.

Q. Can he win the French Open?

ANDREI CHESNOKOV: Can he win the French Open?

MARAT SAFIN: No.

ANDREI CHESNOKOV: Okay, you can go out and I give answer. I said already to Marat, the way you played the tournament in let's say Indian Wells, Copenhagen, Monte Carlo, let's say you play the first set then if something happens, like something bad, then you give the match away. And I said it, you know, the way you played until Barcelona, you was not a man. And if we -- if you want to work together with me, you have to be on a court like a man, like a Muster. Muster, he was a big fighter, even he was in a bad mood, didn't sleep, something happening during the match, he never give up. He play until the end.

But of course I would like him to win French Open. You know, every thing is possible during the two weeks in the French Open. The point is you -- it's not only you have to play well sometimes. Also, you have to be lucky sometimes during the tournament, because, you know, the level is so high today and not everybody can play well. Like Ruud last week, he played the biggest match. I never seen Ruud the way he played against Safin. And Safin, he won 7-5 in the third.

Q. But in your opinion, clay is his best surface?

ANDREI CHESNOKOV: I think he can play everywhere. I think he can play well everywhere because he got a good serve and also his hand is quick.

Q. Even grass?

ANDREI CHESNOKOV: Even on grass.

Q. On ice?

ANDREI CHESNOKOV: On ice, he can play Moscow during the winter. And I played on ice, yeah. It's not so easy. You have to -- you have to skate well. (Laughter.)

Q. I always do that in St. Moritz for Christmas. I have experience on ice, as you are experienced on ice.

ANDREI CHESNOKOV: Did you won the tournament in St. Moritz?

Q. I was beaten in the semifinal. Can you say something about the human being? We don't know anything about Safin like man, like guy, what sort of man he is.

ANDREI CHESNOKOV: I don't know, but he's a nice guy and that's it. He's not talking badly about no one, and he has a very good relationships, I think, with everybody. And let's say big heart, I think it's very important in tennis, for the relationships.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2004, 02:58 PM   #62
country flag Mrs. B
MY BOY HAS 17 GRAND SLAMS

Mrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. B has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
Rios show these guys the true respect.

1999 U.S. OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP
Flushing Meadows, New York

M. RIOS/M. Damm

6-4, 7-6, 3-6, 5-7, 6-1

An interview with:

MARCELO RIOS

USTA: Questions.

Q. It was a tough match. What happened?

MARCELO RIOS: He played pretty good. I slowed down my game a little bit, but like I say, I'm not hitting very good the ball. He's played really nice to win like that.

Q. Who were your childhood heroes?

MARCELO RIOS: What is that?

Q. Who were your childhood heroes?

MARCELO RIOS: I don't understand what you say.

Q. People you admired when you were growing up?

MARCELO RIOS: Nobody.

Q. What are your hobbies and interests?

MARCELO RIOS: Nothing.

Q. What is your greatest sports moment?

MARCELO RIOS: I don't remember, man.

Q. Come on.

MARCELO RIOS: What do you want me to tell you?

Q. Just answer the questions.

MARCELO RIOS: Don't ask me questions like that.

Q. What's your favorite movies?

MARCELO RIOS: (No response.)

FRENCH KISS
Mrs. B is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 03:02 PM   #63
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

sigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
From the same interview:
Q. What would happen if Marat acted on court the way he did at the Australian Open this year with you coaching him? At the Australian, when they fined you for --

MARAT SAFIN: Who fined me?

Q. The ITF fined you.

MARAT SAFIN: Ah, fined me.

Q. What would happen?

ANDREI CHESNOKOV: What, in Australia? I don't understand the question. Go ahead.

MARAT SAFIN: One more time?

Q. You were fined.

MARAT SAFIN: Yeah.

Q. For allegedly not trying in the Australian Open this year.

MARAT SAFIN: First of all, I would like to say that how they put in the press and everything, it was completely different. Because nobody -- everybody knows more than me. It's unbelievable how the people from the press, they know what I did.

Q. What did you do?

MARAT SAFIN: Yeah, because it was -- sorry, but it was in the court almost higher, so we played almost there. Nobody was in the stand, no in the seats. Was completely empty. I don't know how the people from the press, they knew it.

Q. We were just told that --

MARAT SAFIN: Who told you? How you can write this thing --

Q. We only wrote what we were told - that you were fined because of --

MARAT SAFIN: Because of what?

Q. -- for not trying.

MARAT SAFIN: Okay, for not trying. How I not try?

Q. The ITF officials told us.

MARAT SAFIN: The ITF don't have any idea.

Q. What was your view of what happened?

MARAT SAFIN: First of all, in the press they put that I took the ball with the hand. How can you write it if you didn't see it with your eyes? How you can do it? Sorry, guys, but is not serious. How --

Q. All we could write was what they produced as an official statement. We couldn't make any comment. We have no idea whether you were at --

MARAT SAFIN: Okay, so ITF, how they can do this?

Q. They apparently did it on the report of a supervisor, Bill Gillmore.

MARAT SAFIN: Okay, he's a genius. I mean why? He was on the court?

Q. I have no idea. He said he was.

MARAT SAFIN: He was on the court?

Q. He said he was.

MARAT SAFIN: There was only umpire, my coach and a few person more.

Q. Did I ask you for a press conference there, I don't remember?

MARAT SAFIN: No.

Q. You weren't asked for a press conference there in Australia? But were you asked for a press conference there?

MARAT SAFIN: No, because I was -- sorry, but I was sad. When I read this -- I had it to --

Q. But immediately after the match.

MARAT SAFIN: No, nobody asked me what happened. Sorry.
sigmagirl91 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 03:07 PM   #64
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

The Russians are the funniest guys on tou. I love the lack of bullshit from these guys.

1993 U.S. OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP
Flushing Meadows, New York, NY
September 8, 1993

A. VOLKOV/T. Muster

7-6 (6), 6-3, 3-6, 2-6, 7-5

AN INTERVIEW WITH ALEXANDER VOLKOV

Q. No nerves?

ALEXANDER VOLKOV: It was too late for nerves.

Q. What do you think the difference was Alexander, I mean he came back on you? How were you able to hold him off?

ALEXANDER VOLKOV: I think it was my mistake tactical. I played very good. I made ball early in the first two sets. I just move him around the court; then I just stopped. I made couple of double faults and it was such a shame, mistake, and he just come back because he can run, I think, for 24 hours. He can-I don't know-I think he was a little better.

Q. What do you remember about last year's match against Sampras here?

ALEXANDER VOLKOV: It wasn't much -- it was just-- I don't know, we playing on one side. I break him in the beginning, but then he just destroyed me because I stop moving at all. I expect him too much at that time. Maybe now I am more experienced and I can play much better, I hope.

Q. He said on TV that he beat you 4 tank and tank last year. He said you tanked?

ALEXANDER VOLKOV: No, I didn't tank. He played very well. If he can remember the matches, just destroy me because if you serve bad against him you just can go away, just wait and see; then shake his hand, because he is very good on the serve and volley and very good from baseline and if you have nothing to do against him, I mean, no serve, no return, just forget it. I played against him few times indoor supreme or green set, it is really difficult to beat him there.

Q. Did you ever finish a match at this time so late?

ALEXANDER VOLKOV: Like this one?

Q. Yeah?

ALEXANDER VOLKOV: I don't remember. Maybe you can ask my wife.

Q. Thank you.

ALEXANDER VOLKOV: Good night.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-15-2004, 03:09 PM   #65
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

sigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond repute

Loved the last part of that Volkov interview. I'm sure he didn't want to disappoint the wifey....
Old 04-15-2004, 03:10 PM   #66
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

ALEXANDER VOLKOV

Q. Alexander, what is the feeling when you're on the other side of the net and he's serving like he was today?

ALEXANDER VOLKOV: You know, if you are playing six matches in a row first time on center court it's difficult to be there. It is a very nice tournament, but you play in the semifinal first time on stadium court, it's difficult, even a set up like this, I can't say anything, you have to be there, you have to be used to it, you need some time to be there. If you warm up five minutes, you can't see anything, it's different from-- totally different from court 2 or 17 or court 22, it's different.

Q. Did you feel like last year?

ALEXANDER VOLKOV: No, I don't feel like last year, I feel much better.

Q. Some observers said that Pete Sampras is playing the best tennis, not only this year, but of all the years. How would you describe the way he's playing now?

ALEXANDER VOLKOV: You know, if you want to talk about-- if you want to ask questions about Pete, he's going to be here in five minutes and you can ask him. I told you already-- you always asking questions about somebody else. Okay, he will be here in five minutes, ask him.

Q. We wanted to know what you were thinking about it. We were asking about you.

ALEXANDER VOLKOV: He's number one player, what else-- I don't understand. What else you want me to tell you. He's number one. If he serves, like, more aces than anybody else-- you want to tell me again, he serve well? Yes, he serve well. Everyone on the court can tell you he serves well, and you ask me, fine.

Q. Are you mad?

ALEXANDER VOLKOV: No, I'm happy.

Q. A lot of players have come in this week and said, well, I lost, it's no big deal, they're are a lot of more tournaments left. Are you glad that you still have a lot of passion for the game and you feel bad after a loss; do you think players have lost sight of something?

ALEXANDER VOLKOV: It's my job, my game and I love it and I do my best all the time. Today was not my day. Maybe next time I going to beat him. I don't know what to tell you.

Q. Is this tournament so different from other tournaments? Doesn't that happen at other tournaments too where you only get onto center court one time?

ALEXANDER VOLKOV: You know, it is a little bit longer if you are in my draw. Of course, so many people around maybe it get you a little bit upset, but you try other tournaments and not to quiet and so many people around it's different, but if you play well here it doesn't bother you. If you lost, you can find anything was going to bother you, from wind or sun or potatoes, it really doesn't make any difference.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-15-2004, 03:33 PM   #67
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

Those Russian guys don't stint on the entertainment, that's for sure.....
Old 04-15-2004, 03:42 PM   #68
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Q. Are you mad?

ALEXANDER VOLKOV: No, I'm happy.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-15-2004, 04:43 PM   #69
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Muster on meeting Gaudenzi in the TMS Monte Carlo 95

Q. Is it a very special match against Gaudenzi or not at all?

THOMAS MUSTER: Not really. It is not that I haven't seen him before.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-15-2004, 04:59 PM   #70
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Some more Muster

The great Muster quote about the supermarket.

THOMAS MUSTER

Q. Why did you decide to come here this year?

THOMAS MUSTER: Because I had a designation.

Q. Do you find that people are knowing you better this year in particular because of reaching the No. 1?

THOMAS MUSTER: Well, I mean, I think especially winning a Slam last year and then on top of it becoming No. 1,, I think people know about me and they have been reading about, you know, the controversy about Andre and myself, maybe, discussions were going on about rankings and so forth, it was quite disgusting. I am still known more in Europe because I play more there.

Q. Did you notice, though, that you had more of a reaction from the crowd since you have been here?

THOMAS MUSTER: Yeah, many people know who I am, yes, especially -- I mean, if you are a tennis fan, I think if you don't know the former No. 1 or 2 player in the world, I don't think you are really interested in tennis, but I think there are surely more fans and more people approaching me for autographs and -- I think so.

Q. I know you answered this previously this year, but players have been complaining that claycourter who would be No. 1 I didn't see you (Inaudible.) Could you repeat what your feelings are on that?

THOMAS MUSTER: My feelings is just stupid argument, from it doesn't matter whoever brings it up because I said that there is no supermarket where you buy your points. Whoever makes the points at the end of the year is there and if you don't make it, you are not there. You see, Andre lost points; he didn't make any, so he dropped back to 7 that easy. So I mean, as long as you are making your points wherever, you deserve to be No. 2 or 1 in the world, whatever. Let us say Pete hasn't won a Slam this year, does he deserve to be No. 1? You can bring up anything you want. He is the best player right now and that is because he got the most points and that is it.

Q. If you could change the rankings at all, what would you do? Would you start a new one every year and not perpetuate --

THOMAS MUSTER: You can do anything. You can go by the prize money like the PGA. You can-- who makes the most prize money, has played most and won the most tournaments, you can do it either way. Start from the beginning on every year. You can do the averages, but there is always going to be argument from somebody. Whatever you do there is going to be a mistake. There is always something for good and something for bad and that is the system we are in right now and that is what we have to play with, we have to live with and that is it. You have to respect that.

Q. Especially in a year like this one where there have been different winners in the Grand Slams, and different people have different arguments why they should be No. 1, do you think this is the kind of year where people just make up their minds who they think is the best player and they sort of have that in their head no matter what the computer says?

THOMAS MUSTER: That is what the computer prints out is reality every Monday. Nothing you can change. That is it.

Q. Do you agree then with the computer?

THOMAS MUSTER: Well, I have to. If I stand on my head now and say it is wrong, it is not going to change because that is what we agreed on and that is why we have to play with it. I mean, the players made the ranking and the players decided what is happening on the Tour, so why should we complain afterwards. It's a federalistic system where you vote and that is it.

Q. We believe in that here.

THOMAS MUSTER: Well, that is good.

Q. In your career you never went out on the court against a player you thought you had no chance to beat?

THOMAS MUSTER: No, I can stay in the locker room; take a shower right away and go away.

Q. Can you talk about how it is different for you when you come out here and play a tournament in the United States as opposed to what things are like are in Europe? I mean, do you just have a different feeling about it? Are you uncomfortable? What are the differences?

THOMAS MUSTER: It is like American players go to Europe, they don't feel uncomfortable, but it is not where they are living. It is not their culture. It is not -- it is just different for them to stay over there for 7, 8 weeks and it is the same for us coming here. It is not what we are used to in Europe. We are used to different tournaments. We are used to just different things and that is what makes it difficult. It is just a question of how you adjust and some players like to stay like Jim Courier likes to stay in Europe a lot. I don't know, the other guys, they like to be in the States a lot. It is just different anyway.

Q. Do you struggle with it when you come here?

THOMAS MUSTER: No, I don't have a problem with it, no. It is not that I am staying here for weeks anyway, for 10 weeks or -- some guys they just play in the States, some Europeans they just play in the States. For me it is not -- it is not affecting me too much.

Q. How much did your life change this year, I mean, did you sort of move into a whole new superstar kind of stratosphere when you became No. 1?

THOMAS MUSTER: Oh, sure, I am superstar.

Q. Like hiring security guards, all that kind of stuff?

THOMAS MUSTER: Yeah, sure. I have a limousine driver. I have security. I have locked up my doors (kiddingly). No, nothing has change in my life. As I said, I won the French when I was 28 or 27. I became No. 1, at 28, so I think I am too much experience and mature probably to have any kind of fantasy with this and any reason to freak out.

It is just probably if you become No. 1 when you are 19 or 20, it is difficult because everything comes on top of you because you make more money and this and that, so it is quite hard to take, but what, it is going to change my life? I have played for ten years before or eleven years and --

Q. Do you walk unnoticed on the streets?

THOMAS MUSTER: I mean, I don't know. I don't realize. If people look at me, it is fine. In Europe, people recognize me more than over here or more than Australia, probably, but that is something which is all right. But I got to live with it anyway. I don't think it is really bothering me. I am not just -- I think I have the right to go out there and go on the street whenever I want. That is it and I just -- I don't think I need to hire anybody. Nobody is going to steal me anyway.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-16-2004, 02:47 AM   #71
country flag FryslanBoppe

FryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant future

Here is where I got my Vinciguerra quote from.

Here is a Vinciguerra one from the Australian Open.

A. VINCIGUERRA/W. Ferreira
6-0, 3-6, 6-4, 6-3

An Interview With:

ANDREAS VINCIGUERRA

Q. Would it surprise you if you ended up the only Swede left?

ANDREAS VINCIGUERRA: Yeah, it would definitely surprise me.

Q. It would surprise you?

ANDREAS VINCIGUERRA: Yeah.

Q. Could you explain your name? Why aren't you called Johansson?

ANDREAS VINCIGUERRA: No, my father is from Italy. So that's why I have my surname.

Q. In Europe people like Enzo Scifo, he could have played for Italy, the Belgian football player. He had a choice and he chose to play for Belgium. Would you think about playing for Italy?

ANDREAS VINCIGUERRA: No, I'm Sweden. I will always play for Sweden. I was born in Sweden.
FryslanBoppe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 02:50 AM   #72

FryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant futureFryslanBoppe has a brilliant future

Quote:
Q. I know you answered this previously this year, but players have been complaining that claycourter who would be No. 1 I didn't see you (Inaudible.) Could you repeat what your feelings are on that?

THOMAS MUSTER: My feelings is just stupid argument, from it doesn't matter whoever brings it up because I said that there is no supermarket where you buy your points.

Quote:
Q. In your career you never went out on the court against a player you thought you had no chance to beat?

THOMAS MUSTER: No, I can stay in the locker room; take a shower right away and go away.
Great words
Old 04-16-2004, 03:08 AM   #73

Good way of putting things into context.

Q. It's like you're playing the tournament of your life, isn't it?

Mariano Zabaleta: No, it's just three matches. It's not the tournament of my life. I play good matches. I beat Sebastien Grosjean, Taylor Dent, now Rusedski. Was tough matches. But is not my tournament life or something like this. Just good matches.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:27 AM   #74
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Tarango at the US Open after he lost to Draper.

Q. Was quite a wild atmosphere out there?

JEFF TARANGO: Yeah.

Q. Do you thrive on that or does that bother you, especially when the crowd really seemed to turn over to the Australian side?

JEFF TARANGO: No. I think that's the way tennis should be played. I think every match in tennis should be like that. Unfortunately, there's not enough personalities to bring that out.

Q. Scott seemed to think, though, that some of the antics might have backfired on you a little bit.

JEFF TARANGO: What antics would those be?

Q. Well, he cited one where you berated a ball girl for throwing away a half eaten banana, or just stalling tactics. "He fed off the crowd," he said.

JEFF TARANGO: Okay.

Q. Do you ever feel like that they might backfire against you?

JEFF TARANGO: Well, I didn't feel that that was an antic. The girl spilled All Sport all over my stuff, made my shoes sticky, threw away my banana. I didn't think that was an antic, maybe I'm misinterpreting it.

Q. You also were complaining, I guess, to the umpire about a woman heckler. What was she saying? Why was that so bothersome?

JEFF TARANGO: Well, I'm out there for four hours and some lady's telling me to hurry up and play and try harder. I think that's pretty ridiculous when I don't think she can run six blocks.

Q. Isn't that also part of tennis, too?

JEFF TARANGO: What?

Q. You say you want the atmosphere, people involved.

JEFF TARANGO: I think they should show a certain amount of respect for an athlete that's out there trying their hardest. Pretty hypocritical for her to tell me to run more when she probably couldn't even make it down the street.

Q. Did you actually engage her in conversation?

JEFF TARANGO: I didn't know exactly who it was. I asked them to watch because I've had some problems down at Lipton, and I didn't want those problems to happen again.

Q. Were you happy with your game?

JEFF TARANGO: No. I would have liked to win.

Q. Besides that, though, were you happy with the way you played?

JEFF TARANGO: Huh?

Q. Just your performance in general?

JEFF TARANGO: No. I would have liked to win. I think I should have beat him. If I wouldn't have played five sets yesterday and the five sets the day before that, I think I would have beaten him.

Q. When did they turn the lights on?

JEFF TARANGO: Five o'clock.

Q. That bothered you?

JEFF TARANGO: Well, I think it's pretty ridiculous, five o'clock in the afternoon, to turn on lights just because Scott Draper requests it at the US Open. It's pretty strange to me.

Q. Did he request it right then? When did he request it?

JEFF TARANGO: He requested it before five and they got it at five. They said, "Oh, that's about what time we turn them on anyway." They never mentioned they were going to turn the lights on before the match, which they should do.

Q. You think because he wanted them on --

JEFF TARANGO: They didn't ask me. The chair umpire said, "Okay" flipped the lights on.

Q. It's not like at five o'clock they were going to turn the lights on no matter what?

JEFF TARANGO: No. They said they start at about that time.

Q. Did you ask to have them turned off?

JEFF TARANGO: Yes. I think it's ridiculous to have lights on at five in the afternoon.

Q. Do you think people at this point come to your matches to see some kind of uproar?

JEFF TARANGO: Well, no. I think at this point the press writes whatever the hell they want to write, they don't really take in consideration the hard work that goes into this. And I don't think you guys really see how hard we're trying out there. You don't see the day in, day out rigors of the Tour.

I think you're a little bit critical of my matches, when, if you go watch the other matches a lot some, if not all, the same things are going on. I think the interpretation that you guys make is a slanted one. I really have no control over that. Then the people read that. Of course, most people on the earth believe whatever they read. That's just the way it is. I mean, I'm not affected by it at all.

Q. I don't quite understand. I mean, I don't want to get into a back and forth, but in England I showed you some coverage on yourself. You said it was accurate. Is this a pattern that you're talking about?

JEFF TARANGO: No. I think that was a good article that I read there. Those were basically all my quotes. I thought I was pretty right. I don't understand your question.

Q. Well, my question is: What is the basis of your comment that the media does not understand?

JEFF TARANGO: Well, because my doubles partner and I the other night are out playing and we're both fighting our butts off out there; we're having a great time. The crowd is getting really into it. The press comes over and they immediately say, "Jeff Tarango and Guillaume Raoux are getting into it over there," trying to make a big hype that we're arguing, yelling at each other, when we're fully having one of the best matches played at the tournament, playing probably the highest quality of tennis that was played thus far.

Instead of saying, "What a great match is going on over here, two great players are really fighting it out," it's all of a sudden some kind of hype to get some kind of controversy going. I don't see why that started. You guys have the freedom to do whatever you want. And I think you should be a little more careful.

Q. I asked about the fans. I didn't ask about the press.

JEFF TARANGO: Well, because I think the fans read what's in the press and they come into it based on what they read. I saw an article after the Raoux match, "Terrible Tarango." The next day. I think that's absolutely ridiculous.

Q. When it was deep in the fifth set and you turned to the crowd and said, "You either love me or hate me," what was behind that comment?

JEFF TARANGO: Well, it seems like the crowd, there's people in the crowd that are either diehards: They want me to win, and then there's people out there, doesn't matter what kind of effort you put in, no matter what kind of attitude you have on the court, don't like you because of what they've read before and have their mind made up. It just seems like over and over again these people come out with this idea already of me. I think that's a little ridiculous because they're given a wrong impression in the press.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-16-2004, 11:52 AM   #75
country flag rassklovn

rassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Q. You also were complaining, I guess, to the umpire about a woman heckler. What was she saying? Why was that so bothersome?

JEFF TARANGO: Well, I'm out there for four hours and some lady's telling me to hurry up and play and try harder. I think that's pretty ridiculous when I don't think she can run six blocks.

Quote:
Q. You say you want the atmosphere, people involved.

JEFF TARANGO: I think they should show a certain amount of respect for an athlete that's out there trying their hardest. Pretty hypocritical for her to tell me to run more when she probably couldn't even make it down the street.

Quote:
Q. Were you happy with your game?

JEFF TARANGO: No. I would have liked to win.
rassklovn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote