Stupid Journalism at Press Conferences - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-15-2004, 07:45 AM   #46
country flag rassklovn

rassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: No Wonder some plays think Tennis journalists are stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphex
when is that Kafelnikov interview from? 93?
Yes, it was in Monte Carlo with that interview. Here is a Medvedev quote about Kafelnikov.

Q. Last year, last summer here at Roland Garros you seemed to enjoy having the spotlight on you; do you think he will?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: Well, I don't know what kind of person he is. I know that he refused to go to the press conference yesterday and I explained to him that what he did is not right and he says, I don't care, I don't care if I will be fined or I will get any penalties, but I say-- I told him that it is not because of the penalties, it is just because you win singles and doubles, normally you should be happy and you should be able to talk to the people. I kind of teach him how to do that. And hopefully he will come today, I don't know. But I think he is the guy who enjoys to be in the spotlight. I don't know -- it is pretty hard to take the fame because when the people start recognizing you on the streets and they are asking for your autographs, some people just lose their head, you know, and I don't think that he is that kind of person, so you should take it easy on him; not too hard.
rassklovn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2004, 07:54 AM   #47
country flag Aphex
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Aphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond repute

but since it has unfolded that Kafa loves to bask in the spotlight. and he still loves to gamble my fav Kafelnikov moment was the Wimbledon when he said something like: "it's time for me to set my mark on this tournament" and he lost in the next round. it was also funny when he said before AO F 99: Enqvist is not the man of big matches; and he was right! man, the swedes have had it in for yevgenij ever since!
Aphex is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 08:12 AM   #48
WyveN
Banned!

WyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond repute

what a great thread!

The Tarrango interview was a classic, a total soap opera.
WyveN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 08:23 AM   #49
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Here is one from Wilander when he was still playing, some of the references are classical.

1995 U.S. OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP
Flushing Meadows, New York

September 1, 1995

T. MARTIN/M. Wilander

6-4, 6-2, 7-5

AN INTERVIEW WITH

MATS WILANDER

Q. How much of a disappointment is it?

MATS WILANDER: It is a disappointment to play so shitty. It is not disappointing to lose, yeah, very disappointing. It was too good. He plays too fast for me. Windy day like this, it is not when I can't keep the ball in play. I have no chance of winning tennis matches, and I can't keep the ball in play today, so....

Q. How about your legs, today, say compared to '88, obviously, you are 5 years older -- 7 years older; do you still have the legs; do you think --

MATS WILANDER: I have the legs, yeah. Yeah, it is not that. It is more when I play, when I have a bad day or when I hit the ball as -- I didn't play horendous, but when I play this bad -- anyway, I just don't have the confidence to believe that I still can win the match; playing bad, that is the big difference. I know I have to play good to beat Todd Martin; if I don't, I am not going to beat him. Anyway, that is what happens now. Before I didn't know what would happen.

Q. Do you still enjoy it as much?

MATS WILANDER: Yeah, I just don't, I mean, I didn't enjoy it today. It was not fun at all, no.

Q. Did you ever get the feeling that -- did you ever think about the fact that you could have beaten some of these players in your prime?

MATS WILANDER: Do you ever think about that you are going to die? I mean, that is -- I mean, no, you can't ask me that question. How can you think like that? Did you ever think about the girls that you get when you are 18 compared to 45? It is not going to happen, okay. It is never going to happen again, I am telling you. Why think about those kind of things? It doesn't -- it doesn't make any difference anymore.

Q. Did you have trouble finding a range on lobbing past him today?

MATS WILANDER: I had trouble finding a range in general. I am not sure -- it doesn't help when you have somebody teeing off on so many balls like Todd does. He hits very flat nice groundstrokes, nice balls to hit on, but he hits them so hard and he hits so many winners and hits so many unforced errors. It is hard -- if you are not playing well, you can't expect him to let you get back into your rhythm. You have to find it somehow yourself, and today it was just -- I just couldn't find it.

Q. What were you talking to the chair about at the end of the match before your last serve?

MATS WILANDER: I was wondering about the ball that hit the tape, so a questionable ruling.

Q. Is there a different style today? You have always been such a graceful player and moved around the court. Maybe the technology today, with the rackets, do you like the style of play as opposed to yesteryear, maybe?

MATS WILANDER: No, I don't like the style of play, no. I think that the shots -- the shots that they hit today are more -- are a lot better and much more amazing than the shots you hit before, but the way they executed them, I think it doesn't -- no, I don't like it as much as before. As I said before, it was much more graceful, before when you had longer strokes and whatever. Now you have guys with short compact swings that gets the job done, but it doesn't look as nice, but that is, you know, that is the way it is in technology. I suppose, you don't need long strokes anymore. You can hit short with short swings and just short strokes and it is more compact, I guess, obviously safer with these rackets.

Q. Is that less exciting for the fans?

MATS WILANDER: I don't know if it is. I am not sure. I don't know.

Q. Which of the other players do you enjoy watching?

MATS WILANDER: I enjoy watching it. It is just a different, you know, different kind of game. I think today you are watching a match and you are looking out for winners that the guys hit. You are not really looking out for what one guy is going to do to expose the other guy's weakness as much as before, so in that sense, it is more interesting to see lots of great shots at the same time, as when it gets to 5-All, it is more interesting to see some guy choke than some guy hit outright winners, I think for everybody.

Q. Do you think strategy has gone by the wayside?

MATS WILANDER: Yeah, a little bit. Yeah. I think it is normal. That is the way it is.

Q. Has the Open itself --

MATS WILANDER: It is like golf. I think Daly hits the 17th playoff hole in St. Andrews. Jack Nicklaus, he should hit 3 iron and hits a driver; has 95 yards left on a 460 par 4, I mean, you don't need strategy when you can hit a driver 340 yards. It is the same today. If you can hit a serve 125, why spit hit in. You just go for the ace, and the match is won.

Q. Has the Open itself changed since the time you won it here?

MATS WILANDER: Has it changed in what sense? I am not in it this year. That is a big change. That is one of the biggest changes for me.

Q. How are your business interests coming? You have the beer thing; then the cap company; are those fun; do you enjoy doing them?

MATS WILANDER: Yeah, I don't do very much with it.

Q. What got you into that?

MATS WILANDER: Well, the cap company was pressure from Pernfors and beer company was pressure from Nystrom.

Q. Are you hosting any players at your home?

MATS WILANDER: Novacek.

Q. Looking forward to Davis Cup play?

MATS WILANDER: Yeah. If I get picked, yeah, sure.

Q. How was your stomach upset today, was it okay?

MATS WILANDER: It was fine.

Q. It was gone?

MATS WILANDER: No problem. One thing that lasts for an evening. Bad food in the players' restaurant. That is what it was.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1

Last edited by Action Jackson : 04-15-2004 at 01:30 PM.
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 08:30 AM   #50
country flag lsy

lsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond repute

I really enjoy this thread, too funny!

I remembered reading this Ferrero interview in USO 2003. It was funny coz the media as usual had this "pre-concept" that Ferrero is as boring as plain paper...so there they go asking him about Andy's plane jumping

Q. What do you think about Andy Roddick's jumping out of airplanes?

JUAN CARLOS FERRERO: Airplanes?

Q. He parachutes. What do you think about that? Is that something you would ever do?

JUAN CARLOS FERRERO: I did in Spain two years ago *I like to see the smart ass reporter's expression*. It's nice. I think if he likes, why not?

*then they quickly move on brushed aside this discovery that actually Ferrero does lead an exciting life and go back to the usual routine boring question *

Q. You and Roger and Andy have a good chance to be No. 1 after this tournament. Do you think anybody has a better chance than another?

JUAN CARLOS FERRERO: No.

Q. You're all about the same?

JUAN CARLOS FERRERO: I think we have a tough draw, you know, each one. We have to win a lot of matches to be a No. 1. Somebody has to lose first, and then you have to take the chance to be the No. 1. We have to try to be very concentrates, all three.

I thought it's a great example that personality is all about the media hyping it up.
lsy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 08:34 AM   #51
country flag Dirk

Dirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: No Wonder some plays think Tennis journalists are stupid

JC just doesn't want to give out info since he doesn't like them or is too shy. We need to post some more Kaffy interviews.

Last edited by Dirk : 04-15-2004 at 08:58 AM.
Dirk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 10:18 AM   #52
WyveN
Banned!

WyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsy
Q. What do you think about Andy Roddick's jumping out of airplanes?

JUAN CARLOS FERRERO: Airplanes?

Q. He parachutes. What do you think about that? Is that something you would ever do?

JUAN CARLOS FERRERO: I did in Spain two years ago *I like to see the smart ass reporter's expression*. It's nice. I think if he likes, why not?
Of course when Andy said he plane jumped it was all over the papers & is still being brought up in interviews today. Your totally correct about personality being closely related to the media hype. Wouldn't be surprised if Roddick is considered boring in say, Spain.

Quote:
*then they quickly move on brushed aside this discovery that actually Ferrero does lead an exciting life and go back to the usual routine boring question *
I am surprised the next question wasn't "Can you play on hardcourts as well as you do on clay?"
Old 04-15-2004, 01:42 PM   #53
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

2004 adidas International
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA

January 11, 2004
Pre-tournament interview

Q. Could I ask you a question about the marketing of tennis. The last few years, the women's tour has marketed tennis a lot on women's sex appeal.

LLEYTON HEWITT: You like that?

Q. Huh?

LLEYTON HEWITT: Do you like that?

Q. Not personally. I know that sounds strange. But at the top of the men's game, you've got Andy Roddick, Federer, Juan Carlos, yourself, Andre, Moya, all very sexy guys.

LLEYTON HEWITT: Are we? I don't know, mate.

Q. Well, they're now appearing in Vogue, GQ. Andre has his own cologne. Have the men actually caught up to the women in terms of marketing sex appeal?

LLEYTON HEWITT: I don't know. I'm not sure, mate. No, I don't know. I really don't know. I don't know how much people would like to get that kind of sex appeal, or the fans would like to, you know, see the players in that kind of side. I really don't know. I don't know whether that would be a positive or if it is, for someone like yourself, as you said, you'd prefer not to see it. So I really don't know if more of that would work in a positive or a negative.

Q. In terms of bringing more fans.

LLEYTON HEWITT: It may or it may not. See, you said that you didn't prefer it, so...

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-15-2004, 02:04 PM   #54
WyveN
Banned!

September 4, 1994

Y. KAFELNIKOV/ C. Costa

6-3,6-4,6-2

AN INTERVIEW WITH

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV

Q. How do you feel because everybody says that you could even win this tournament? Do you have the feeling?

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: Who is saying that?

Q. Me.

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: Did you bet on that?

Q. I may do it.

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: Actually, I am not thinking like you think. I don't feel I can win this tournament.

Q. You have to play Stich. You beat him four times; correct?

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: I won 4 out of 5 matches against Michael.

Q. How do you explain it?

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: Well, ask Michael. He can explain to you everything. I don't know. By the way, did you speak with him?

Q. I saw that match. But I'd like to know it from you.

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: Well, I don't know, actually what I am doing right or wrong when I am playing against Michael, but something happened during all those five matches when I beat him. Next one is going to be completely different because this is the Grand Slam tournament. This is the fourth round match.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:06 PM   #55
WyveN
Banned!

From the same interview

Q. Another person was thinking that you could become top 3 player in the world Andrei, Medvedev, do you have any comment on this?

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: You know, it is tough. It is tough to be one of the top three players in the world, no. No way that I can get there.

Kafelnikov was also asked about reaching top 50 & top 10 earlier in the year. He gave himself virtually no chance, it seems he was not very confident and that sort of plagued him throughout his career e.g he usually got paralysed against Sampras.

King of ironic that in the end he will probably be remmembered as a bit of a underachiever
Old 04-15-2004, 02:08 PM   #56
WyveN
Banned!

Again from the same interview

Q. Listen when you don't play tennis, what is your favorite. . . .

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: You know, I am travelling almost every week, I am all the time on the courts, so I have nothing, nothing to do, basically so don't start asking me those questions.

Old 04-15-2004, 02:12 PM   #57
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyveN
Again from the same interview

Q. Listen when you don't play tennis, what is your favorite. . . .

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: You know, I am travelling almost every week, I am all the time on the courts, so I have nothing, nothing to do, basically so don't start asking me those questions.

I didn't realise funny Kafelnikov could actually be.

Off topic CmonAussie (Hewitt lover) posted on the top 10 clay thread and he didn't include Muster in that list. That's almost as funny as some of these interviews.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-15-2004, 02:21 PM   #58
WyveN
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
I didn't realise funny Kafelnikov could actually be.
A lot of times he was plain rude about other players but I enjoyed his frankness and sometimes he was extremely funny.

Early in 1994 he lost to Sampras 9-7 in the 5th at the Australian Open, Yevgeny was not known by anyone then.

Later in 1994 Yevgeny was asked

Q. Was the match with Sampras at the Australian Open a turning point?

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: A lot. A lot. That match give me lots of confidence, I must say that.

Q. It was a great match?

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: Yeah, it was a great match. I think Pete also got confidence from that one. That is why he win Wimbledon.

Old 04-15-2004, 02:28 PM   #59
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Here are one of the best double acts Andrei Chesnokov and Marat Safin.

2000 TMS Rome

ANDREI CHESNOKOV and MARAT SAFIN

Q. Why are you such a good coach?

ANDREI CHESNOKOV: I am a good tennis player.

Q. Have you ever thought that you wanted to get in to coaching, or is it just a complete surprise to you as well?

ANDREI CHESNOKOV: It's little bit surprised me, and before I was -- I was -- I still playing like a tournament last week. And I don't play any more, let's say ATP tournaments, but I can -- I always play -- I was always continue to play the other tournaments, and I think this offer little bit surprised me. And I said to myself, "Okay, but Marat, I know he's a nice guy and why I don't -- why I'm not going to try a little bit to help him." And I think he did a very, very good job in Barcelona, and then last weekend in Mallorca. And I said to him, you know, now you can play tennis, you don't need a coach anymore. (Laughter.)

Q. Which do you think was his biggest problem? At which level do you think he could arrive?

ANDREI CHESNOKOV: Which level?

Q. Yes. I mean ranking or...

ANDREI CHESNOKOV: But, you know, the way he played until the Barcelona tournament, the way he played until Barcelona tournament he should be like maybe 500. (Laughter.) Don't be nervous, don't be nervous. But the way he played like the last two tournaments, it's No. 1 player.

Q. Is he allowed to say some words, too?

ANDREI CHESNOKOV: Can you tell how far you can go?

Q. Does this new technique work out of Spain or just in Spain?

MARAT SAFIN: What do you mean?

Q. You won two small tournaments in Spain.

MARAT SAFIN: Excuse me, but maybe it was small tournaments for you, but to me, I won one tournament that was $325,000. So for me to win a tournament in Mallorca is 500,000. There are a lot of players, Kafelnikov, not a good player... Norman is -- I don't know. Maybe for you is -- sorry, I'm not on your level now.

Q. Some days you play like a champion, some times like a 500 player. Is it some Russian attitude? Like Kafelnikov, sometimes he plays like a champion, wins a Grand Slam tournament then after for three, four weeks in a row he gets out in the first round with all the talent he has. Is it a Russian problem or just the athlete?

MARAT SAFIN: I don't know. Ask him.

ANDREI CHESNOKOV: I would like to give the answer. I would like to give the answer. First of all, about the -- you said two "small" tournaments, Barcelona and -- no, no, no. Listen. Okay. For Sampras and Agassi, it's maybe like some kind of Challenger. Maybe. It could be. For him, you know, for him it's a big tournament and it was a big week in Barcelona, even in Mallorca. Because it doesn't matter who he played, maybe the player ranking all the way up to the final, you know, against the players like ranking 100 or 200.

And the question with Kafelnikov, I don't want to see Marat on the Tour if he's going to play the way like Kafelnikov. You know, I said, okay, if you're going to win a tournament, you know, you have to be like a champion. You cannot, let's say, play the next tournament, let's say you won the tournament in Barcelona. There's the next tournament in Mallorca. You cannot, like, giving up the first round. No, you have to fight. You have to fight for every single point, and that makes the difference you to the other players. I don't want talking about let's say especially to Kafelnikov, who will let's say -- who played the tournament in -- Grand Slam tournament, first tournament Grand Slam this year, Australian Open. And then next, let's say now he's losing everywhere first and second round. No. It's not -- it's not -- today it's not like his style and, you know, we're working to get him better.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-15-2004, 02:29 PM   #60
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

From the same interview:
Q. What would happen if Marat acted on court the way he did at the Australian Open this year with you coaching him? At the Australian, when they fined you for --

MARAT SAFIN: Who fined me?

Q. The ITF fined you.

MARAT SAFIN: Ah, fined me.

Q. What would happen?

ANDREI CHESNOKOV: What, in Australia? I don't understand the question. Go ahead.

MARAT SAFIN: One more time?

Q. You were fined.

MARAT SAFIN: Yeah.

Q. For allegedly not trying in the Australian Open this year.

MARAT SAFIN: First of all, I would like to say that how they put in the press and everything, it was completely different. Because nobody -- everybody knows more than me. It's unbelievable how the people from the press, they know what I did.

Q. What did you do?

MARAT SAFIN: Yeah, because it was -- sorry, but it was in the court almost higher, so we played almost there. Nobody was in the stand, no in the seats. Was completely empty. I don't know how the people from the press, they knew it.

Q. We were just told that --

MARAT SAFIN: Who told you? How you can write this thing --

Q. We only wrote what we were told - that you were fined because of --

MARAT SAFIN: Because of what?

Q. -- for not trying.

MARAT SAFIN: Okay, for not trying. How I not try?

Q. The ITF officials told us.

MARAT SAFIN: The ITF don't have any idea.

Q. What was your view of what happened?

MARAT SAFIN: First of all, in the press they put that I took the ball with the hand. How can you write it if you didn't see it with your eyes? How you can do it? Sorry, guys, but is not serious. How --

Q. All we could write was what they produced as an official statement. We couldn't make any comment. We have no idea whether you were at --

MARAT SAFIN: Okay, so ITF, how they can do this?

Q. They apparently did it on the report of a supervisor, Bill Gillmore.

MARAT SAFIN: Okay, he's a genius. I mean why? He was on the court?

Q. I have no idea. He said he was.

MARAT SAFIN: He was on the court?

Q. He said he was.

MARAT SAFIN: There was only umpire, my coach and a few person more.

Q. Did I ask you for a press conference there, I don't remember?

MARAT SAFIN: No.

Q. You weren't asked for a press conference there in Australia? But were you asked for a press conference there?

MARAT SAFIN: No, because I was -- sorry, but I was sad. When I read this -- I had it to --

Q. But immediately after the match.

MARAT SAFIN: No, nobody asked me what happened. Sorry.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1