Stupid Journalism at Press Conferences - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Reply

Old 04-15-2004, 05:02 AM   #31
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,482
Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No Wonder some plays think Tennis journalists are stupid

This one is long but a classic from Jeff Tarango one of the more unique individuals.

THE MILLENIUM CHAMPIONSHIPS

WIMBLEDON

June 28, 2000

P. GOLDSTEIN/J. Tarango
3-6, 6-2, 5-7, 6-2, 12-10

An interview with:JEFF TARANGO

MODERATOR: Good afternoon, Ladies and Gentlemen. Mr. Tarango.

Q. Can you explain why you didn't shake his hand?

JEFF TARANGO: Well, I just -- you know, we fought so hard and so long. He called the trainer before my serve twice at the end. I got a lot tighter. My muscles were a lot more stiff. I just thought it was a little bush league. I figured he should be calling the trainer before his own serve if he was so seriously hurt. I know he runs like a deer, so he couldn't have been that hurt. I don't think it's right for a guy to get a massage in the middle of the match.

Q. Do you think he was faking the injury?

JEFF TARANGO: Did you see him miss any steps?

Q. We want to know what you think.

JEFF TARANGO: Of course he was faking the injury. He was fine.

Q. You said he was cramping. You can cramp, get treated, go back out and run.

JEFF TARANGO: Maybe the girls can; not the guys. Cramping is no excuse to get a trainer.

Q. He said he was pretty shocked that another former Stanford player is accusing him of gamesmanship.

JEFF TARANGO: Gamesmanship or not, I just thought it was bush league. I didn't think it was cool. He played a good match, but he's got to earn my respect in different ways.

Q. According to the ITF, you can call a trainer at any time, Jeff.

JEFF TARANGO: Yeah, that's fine. That's the way they have the rule now. I guarantee it's changed by the end of this year.

Q. How is it going to change?

JEFF TARANGO: They'll just change that you can't call a trainer before your opponent's serve.

Q. Is it proper to treat the guy like that just because he followed the rules that you don't agree with?

JEFF TARANGO: Well, hey, listen, the rules are interpreted in a thousand different ways every day. The overrule rule today was interpreted in six different ways. It's my option whether I want to shake a guy's hand or not. You know, nobody makes that decision but me. That's the way it goes.

Q. How many times have you not shook an opponent's hand after a match?

JEFF TARANGO: I think that's the third time.

Q. When were the other two?

JEFF TARANGO: In Shanghai against Leander Paes, and against Filippini at the French Open.

Q. What were the circumstances, do you remember?

JEFF TARANGO: Well, Leander Paes hit me with an overhead in singles in the small of the back from three feet away. Filippini was a very long story, but the fact that he was calling me names in between every point was the reason I didn't shake his hand.

Q. Do you think your concentration on what Paul did about calling the trainer affected your concentration on the match and caused you to lose it?

JEFF TARANGO: Not at all. I had the mentality out there that no matter what happened, I was going to fight my ass off and try to win the match. I knew the obstacles were going to be against me as soon as I didn't get a day off and had to play back-to-back against two top-notch players. I was actually cruising until I started feeling a little tired in the second set. You know, I just dug as deep as I could and fought as hard as I could. I felt like I played a really good match, that I'm playing better than I ever played, that my age is not a factor at all, that I'm in better shape than most of the guys on the tour. I think I still have a lot of good tennis in front of me.

Q. Any thought of calling a guy on it when it happened?

JEFF TARANGO: It's like you said, I mean, the rule is the way the rule is. There's nothing I can do about it. That would distract me if I were to call a guy on it. It's better for me to think, "How can I use it to my advantage, try to turn it around to win the match?"

Q. Is this going to be one of the deals when you wake up tomorrow morning and say, "I made a mistake, should have shook the guy's hand"?

JEFF TARANGO: There might come a time where I feel Paul Goldstein is a really good guy. I don't know him that well. We were seven years apart in school. He hasn't been around that long on the tour. I don't really know the guy at all. Sure, there might be a time where I think Paul Goldstein is a good guy and I want to shake his hand, but not right now.

Q. You said that Scott Humphries screwed you at the Lipton. What did you mean by that comment and what happened at the Lipton?

JEFF TARANGO: Well at Lipton, I hit Humphries with a reaction volley. It ricocheted off of his body and went out. The referee asked him if it hit him. I asked him. My partner asked him. He said, "No, it didn't." Took the point instead of being breakpoint for us. Then after the match, he told his partner that it did hit him, and he and his partner gave each other high-fives and bragged about it to the Bryan brothers. If you think that's respectable, that's how I'm looking at that team at that point.

Q. Who was Scott's partner?

JEFF TARANGO: Gambill.

Q. Did losing the double-fault there affect whether you were going to shake Paul's hand or had you decided beforehand that you just didn't want to shake his hand?

JEFF TARANGO: As I was walking to the net, that's what I thought about. I wasn't thinking about anything except trying to win the match.

Q. If you win the match, does it change anything? Do you shake his hand if you win the match?

JEFF TARANGO: I don't know.

Q. Any reason why you didn't shake the hand of the umpire?

JEFF TARANGO: I did. I thought Gerry did a great job. He had a lot of obstacles out there. There were a lot of unbelievably tight calls. He missed a couple that were in front of him, but they were balls that were going really, really fast. You know, that kind of thing, he impressed me actually with how he did. I've had him in times previous where he hasn't done a great job or maybe had an off day. I thought he was really good today. You know, some of those balls are going too fast and at angles that you can't say where it's bouncing or where it's coming off the court unless you're playing. I would say in the final four or five games, at least there were five calls that went against me, and probably there were ten calls that could have gone either way. That's just the way it goes.

Q. I know you're upset at Paul, but there's nothing harder in tennis than to get a match point that you just had overruled.

JEFF TARANGO: Did you see how far the ball was in?

Q. Were you impressed in any way that Paul didn't complain, or you thought that was a matter of course?

JEFF TARANGO: Well, I mean, he was playing the point. He still was running after the next shot. He didn't even know they had called it out yet. The ball was literally this far inside the line (indicating about a foot).

Q. Did the crowd's reaction bother you when they booed you off the court? Did that upset you at all?

JEFF TARANGO: No.

Q. For right or for wrong, the events of several years ago established a reputation for you. This will unquestionably add to it. Is that something that concerns you?

JEFF TARANGO: What do you mean "this will add to it"? I mean, I can't control what the masses think. If you can't interpret the incident for what it is and see it from my perspective then, you know, you guys can write whatever you want. If you see it from my perspective, I don't think I did anything wrong.

Q. You mentioned Scott as his teammate. You're talking about the USTA program?

JEFF TARANGO: They were both on the Stanford team.

Q. The USTA supports you also, or is there --?

JEFF TARANGO: I haven't seen any support.

Q. Does that bother you?

JEFF TARANGO: It just bothers me that the head of national coaches is warming up my opponent. That bothers me.

Q. Paul said that when he came out on tour two years ago, Stark and O'Brien kind of helped mentor him, but you essentially had minimal contact with him and really never said anything to help him getting started on the tour.

JEFF TARANGO: Who?

Q. Goldstein said that.

JEFF TARANGO: Yeah, well, he never came up to me and asked any questions. He never even really came up and introduced himself to me or vice versa.

Q. As the older player, you don't feel like it's your role to go up to the younger players and talk to them first?

JEFF TARANGO: To say what? "Welcome to the locker room. Don't bend over for the soap."

Q. Whatever happened to the purported match between you and John McEnroe a couple years back when McEnroe was flirting with coming back on the regular tour?

JEFF TARANGO: Nothing, nothing at all.

Q. Let me ask you one other thing. You have made a great comeback from that 1995 fracus with Alexander Mronz. What's become of him?

JEFF TARANGO: I think he retired right after.

Q. Do you know hope that Bruno Rebeuh umpire's Paul's next match?

JEFF TARANGO: No comment.
__________________
On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 04-15-2004, 05:05 AM   #32
country flag Aphex
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Aphex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Hässelby
Posts: 2,806
Aphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No Wonder some plays think Tennis journalists are stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler

Aphex, the Swedes wanted to be like Rios? The reporters dream.
They really wanted to be Rudeboys instead of Niceboys.
Aphex is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 05:10 AM   #33
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,482
Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No Wonder some plays think Tennis journalists are stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphex
They really wanted to be Rudeboys instead of Niceboys.
they wanted to learn from the best.


Quote:
Q. Paul said that when he came out on tour two years ago, Stark and O'Brien kind of helped mentor him, but you essentially had minimal contact with him and really never said anything to help him getting started on the tour.

JEFF TARANGO: Who?

Q. Goldstein said that.

JEFF TARANGO: Yeah, well, he never came up to me and asked any questions. He never even really came up and introduced himself to me or vice versa.

Q. As the older player, you don't feel like it's your role to go up to the younger players and talk to them first?

JEFF TARANGO: To say what? "Welcome to the locker room. Don't bend over for the soap."

__________________
On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 05:23 AM   #34
country flag Aphex
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Aphex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Hässelby
Posts: 2,806
Aphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No Wonder some plays think Tennis journalists are stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
This one is long but a classic from Jeff Tarango one of the more unique individuals.
JEFF TARANGO: To say what? "Welcome to the locker room. Don't bend over for the soap."
Now I realize he's been grossly misrepresented in the media throughout his whole career. He was really a reasonable guy who only did what was fair and just.
Aphex is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 07:38 AM   #35
country flag rassklovn
Senior Member
 
rassklovn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 901
rassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: No Wonder some plays think Tennis journalists are stupid

This one is very long one but I have edited a lot of it, there are some genuine funnies from Andrei Medvedev. Very insightful comments, though some of the Americans mightn't think so.

1993 U.S. OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP
Flushing Meadows, New York, NY

September 1, 1993
A. MEDVEDEV/F. Meligeni

6-2, 6-2, 4-6, 6-1

Q. Welcome to New York. What do you think about it?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: Too many people.


Q. Too many people in New York?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: Yeah. Too noisy, but it is still nice, but it could be a little bit quieter. Look, I mean--

Q. Are you staying in New York City for the tournament?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: Yes.

Q. Anybody recognize you on the streets?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: No, because in New York people don't look at the face. I noticed it. It is very funny. They look at your eyes, just in the eyes and they don't care who you are. They look in the eyes, I don't know what they are looking for, but even in the restaurant probably if you ask the waiter to describe your client, he wouldn't be able to do this, because he doesn't look at you-- even they have a great service, don't get me wrong. The people -- the people are nice in the hotels and everywhere. They just look in the eyes, maybe the girls look at your body, but not the men.

Q. Have you been out on the streets away from the hotel, just sort of, you know, drinking in the atmosphere of Manhattan?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: No, no I hate the atmosphere, because too many people, and I mean, it is just -- you want to find a place to sit, with me with my height, I have to sit. Otherwise, I fall.


Q. What about the atmosphere here at the Open?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: It is great. It is great. It is just the worst atmosphere I have met. Seriously, you have the only one place you can be in the players lounge and it is so crowded and it is so loud that you just, you know, you cannot be there -- I cannot be there more than one hour to be normal, to be calm. After one hour, I start to be a little bit crazy and upset with the people walking around.

After two hours, probably I start to cry. I haven't been there for two hours. I am just guessing that it will be very tough, and I was very lucky that I was playing the first match today and hopefully I can get out soon and we will see what we can do. But it is really crazy. I mean, probably you should have like a different you know, rooms with the signs like this is for loud people. This is for Spanish. This is for Germans. This is for Russians. This is for quiet people. I don't know, but you just-- it is just incredible. You have all the nationalities in the whole world and let us say if we are Ukrainians, are very quiet, I have to say, but let us say Spanish people and South American people, they are very loud, which is you can't help it. And to put us together in the same room, you know, just because of the noise, -- I am just joking, seriously, it could be some solution to do something to help it somehow, because you have a huge room and everybody is sitting there, in the men's and women's, which I don't mind, but all kind of people, they just walk around; they talk and just getting too crazy.

All you want to do is just leave this place. You can't do it because you have to wait for the match and then somebody play five setters, and -- all the women play three sets, which is even longer than five sets.

Q. Have you been to the Russian Tea Room yet?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: It is too far from my hotel.

Q. Andrei, could you straighten out one thing. I think when we first started talking to you said I live in the Ukraine but I am a Russian. Now, you just said "we Ukrainians" --

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: It is bullshit. It is just for papers. I am Russian, I mean, I am not just Russian, I am 100% Russian. It is like you know, like a lifetime guarantee or something and I never -- I will never be Ukrainian because I am not. From the head to the feet I am Russian and there is not one part of me Ukrainian. Not as far as I know, maybe there was somebody a long, long time ago, but I don't think so. You know, to call me Ukrainian because I was born there is not fair and the people started to talk to me in Ukrainian language and I don't like it. Because they are doing it for the, I guess, for the political reasons and I am not involved in the politics and you know, I have nothing to do with it. I only play tennis. I don't, you know, I don't care about anything -- I mean -- I do care about some things, but not as much as they do, to make me proud to represent Ukraine. I am not proud to represent this country because I don't agree with my government, first of all, and beside this, okay, I don't mind to represent it, but again I am not Ukrainian. So --

Q. Sasha here?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: Yes.

Q. Home?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: Home? No, he was here.

Q. What about moving through the crowds here on the grounds, has that been a problem for you?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: Oh, no. As I said, I couldn't see anything than the court because I was just too tired, probably. Crowd didn't bother me because it is loud anyway, even if they sit and trying to not to talk it is still loud, I don't know why. It is just probably the American way, but seriously, I don't have nothing against it because we have many different nationalities and you know, most of them are you know, loud; you can't help it.

You can't tell them, don't talk, because they just need to talk. They need to talk and they need to say that I made the backhand, forehand and they need to do it just during when I make this forehand. You can't help it. I don't really care. With the ages, with the years, as far as I am getting old, I realize that the people are like this. You have to play and we do our job. They came just to enjoy it, so I don't care. As long as they don't throw the songs to us or they don't shoot us, it is okay. No problem.

Q. If this tournament was in Kiev or Moscow, would it be quieter?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: I am not saying it would be quiet. Probably if you tell the people to shut up, they will shut up. You can't say to Americans shut up. If you ask them, please, be quiet, they won't be quiet because it is too nice. If you tell them shut up, they will not shut up because it is too bad for them. And there is no between, there is nothing you can say between.

You can say, don't talk, they probably will start talking because it is natural for the people. And if you say to our people don't talk, they will not talk because they are afraid that something is going to happen and Americans, they know that nothing is going to happen, so they talk. It is a free country. You say you can't tell me to shut up because it is a free country, right, they are probably right.

Q. So it is easier to play tennis in a country that is not free?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: I mean, our country is free also, but our people-- I am not saying that they are more educated, but they are more understandable, because tennis is not very famous probably in any of the Russian countries and if you tell them to be quiet because they don't know if it is right that they talk. Americans, they know, even if they talk, we are still going to play and Ukrainians, they will think, oh, if he keep talking, they just talk back. That is the way it works.

Q. Which of the Grand Slams do you like the best?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: French Open.

Q. Why?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: Why not? I like it because I like it. Do you have a wife?

Q. Yes.

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: Why do you like your wife?

Q. Do you have time?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: Sure, I got time. Go ahead. It is the same. You like it for something that you cannot sometimes describe. You just like it. You feel good there and I feel good at the French Open.

Q. Have you seen a baseball game yet?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: No. I am not a big fan -- I mean, let us say I am not a fan of baseball at all. I don't watch it on TV, so --


Q. You seem to be talking about wanting quiet, you seem a lot like Andrei Agassi who likes to talk to us.

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: No, I don't like to talk to you. Don't get me wrong. Because you see, the more I talk, the more bullshit you write in the paper. And I understand you are doing your job; you need to sell the papers, but you know, don't get me wrong, I am just helping you to do your job and I think we get-- hopefully-- I will talk to ATP that we should get paid for it. We should get paid to talk to the press because we talk to you for free and you make money out of it. It is not fair. You say, Monica Seles gets stabbed and whatever in Hamburg. Then, I don't know, somebody falls in love with somebody, okay, and you sell the papers like this. You make huge money and we get nothing than destruction so we should get like percentage of it. We should -- we give you more sensations, don't you think, that I can give you lots of shit that you can write? But for this, for this, you know we have to get paid. I won't talk for free.


Q. You want to stop talking?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: Sure.

Q. I don't know. Do these guys want to pay you some money?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: Yeah, you just talk to me direct, we make a deal.


Q. Check's in the mail. Do you want to trade salaries, trade income?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: What do you mean, trade?


Q. With the people in our business and what you make?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: What is that?


Q. Money, we will take your money; you take ours?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: You don't deserve to take my money. I deserve to take your money because I help you do your job.

Q. But they help you?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: You don't help me to do my job. If you run with me and put the A. C., you know, just in my face that I can breath, then it is okay, I pay you whatever, 20% of the prize money. But you don't run with the air-conditioner in front of my face, you don't get paid, right?

Q. Save some for Friday. We can't afford to continue. He is the boss. Are you all right?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: I am fine.
rassklovn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 07:49 AM   #36
country flag Aphex
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Aphex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Hässelby
Posts: 2,806
Aphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No Wonder some plays think Tennis journalists are stupid

wow, andrei sure talks a lot for someone who wants peace and quiet.
Aphex is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 07:55 AM   #37
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,482
Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No Wonder some plays think Tennis journalists are stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphex
wow, andrei sure talks a lot for someone who wants peace and quiet.
True, but there are some answers in there though. He almost talks as much as Carolina Kluft.
__________________
On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 08:02 AM   #38
country flag Aphex
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Aphex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Hässelby
Posts: 2,806
Aphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No Wonder some plays think Tennis journalists are stupid

Klüft! I prefer cool Medvedev over that goody two shoes every day of the week
Aphex is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 08:05 AM   #39
country flag rassklovn
Senior Member
 
rassklovn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 901
rassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: No Wonder some plays think Tennis journalists are stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphex
Klüft! I prefer cool Medvedev over that goody two shoes every day of the week
You no like Carolina then? I have found another Medvedev interview where he makes fun of the US Open food, even with editing I am going to have to post into two parts.
rassklovn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 08:07 AM   #40
country flag rassklovn
Senior Member
 
rassklovn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 901
rassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: No Wonder some plays think Tennis journalists are stupid

Part 1 of another Medvedev interview.

1993 U.S. OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP
Flushing Meadows, New York, NY
September 5, 1993

A. MEDVEDEV/K. Braasch

6-1, 6-4, 7-6 (4)


AN INTERVIEW WITH ANDREI MEDVEDEV

Q. Can we have the definitive pronunciation of your last name, please?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: Medvedev.

Q. When you are out there playing you are very serious and you are not that expressive. You don't have that many expressions. Then you come in here and you are very expressive. Is there -- how do you control yourself out there?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: Because it is my job. This is a joke.


Q. This is our job. What is your coach's name and how do you spell it?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: Alexander Dolgopolov.


Q. Did you say this is joke or a job?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: A joke. J. O. K. E.


Q. Thank you. Could you tell me why you think it is a joke?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: Press?


Q. Yes.

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: Because it is a joke. After what you write in the paper, it is a joke. I mean, everyone has his own job and we all have free time and to me talking to the press is a joke, because it is so funny, no matter what you say you write what you want.


Q. You are still so young and at this -- it is-- why have you already a little bit alienated the press?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: Because I got some beautiful articles about me, which I was surprised to find in the papers and there was many quotes that I never said, that my me look like an idiot. It was in a central papers, like Herald Tribune and I wasn't so happy to read about this because-- not because they were bad.

They were bad, but I wasn't disappointed because of that. But because it wasn't true. I don't mind to look bad if I am bad. But I never said what they wrote in the papers. I am very upset and I don't have -- I mean, I have trust with the press, but you know, it is difficult to find the people who like you; who are not looking for sensation; who just want to write the truth. It is difficult to find, you know, I never do want it once because of that. It is sort of personal.


Q. Do you think it is the English speaking press or is it also the press at home in Russia?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: Oh, yeah, everywhere. Unfortunately, press is the same everywhere. I don't know why. But you know, probably you have the same -- your bosses, they put pressure on you that you get the sensations.


Q. They demand sensations actually, bosses.

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: If you don't get sensations they just produce the sensations by themselves. It is not nice because we don't feel good about that. We are tennis players. All we do we are playing tennis and we don't want anybody to look at our personal lives and to find out what we are doing before we go to bed or whatever. Especially we don't like to read what we never said.


Q. Are there other parts of the tour that you don't like or is it just this part?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: No, I am not saying that I hate this part. As I said, it is a funny part. Sometimes it was unbelievable. I read some nice articles about me and I just couldn't believe it. And I kept it and I got it from the papers and it is in my bank now in the safe because it is so nice. Because then you know, if I have a child and grandchild I can show them that I was a nice person.
rassklovn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 08:09 AM   #41
country flag rassklovn
Senior Member
 
rassklovn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 901
rassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: No Wonder some plays think Tennis journalists are stupid

Part 2

Q. What appeals to you about this tournament compared to the other Grand Slam events in the world?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: Drinks are for free. It is very nice. Massage for free. Transportation free. Beside, it is pretty complicated tournament. Because it is a Grand Slam, because you are trying to be concentrate every match and because the conditions are hard -- I mean, hard to play and the facility needs to be improved.


Q. You talk a lot in the press conferences. Personally I like it, but what do your coach or manager say about it?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: They don't like it.


Q. Do they tell you to speak less?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: Yeah, they told me not to say the truth to you because you see nobody tells you that the facility is bad. I don't think it is right because everybody knows and everybody feels the facility is bad. Players' lounge, and, you know, everything needs to be improved, every little thing. Nobody talks, unfortunately, about this.

My philosophy is that somebody has to start and not just because we want to change. We want to change it or I want to change it, but because it is true. Nobody likes it here, so somebody has to start and I think that, tell you the truth, it flies, but people tell me that I should not be open in the press or I should not make jokes, but it is personal, you know, I am trying to be honest. It doesn't happen all the time. And as far as I can be honest, or I feel good about being honest, and you know, I don't want to be that kind of person, especially with the press.


Q. Do you think you can win this tournament?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: I don't know.


Q. Do you like -- you talk about being honest and that the facilities need improvement. Do you get like-- your fellow professionals, do you have good relationship with them? Would you like the men to be a little bit more friendly in general?

ANREI MEDVEDEV: You mean the relationship between players?


Q. Yes.

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: Oh, yeah, they are great. Honestly, they are great. Let us say I have some players that they never say hello to me. It is not because they don't like me or something or I don't like them because we don't know each other. We never had a chance to talk. Normally we have a very good relationship because we are very much the same people because we are doing the same job, we are playing tennis and everybody knows, you know, how hard it, is or, you know, how nice it is, and we understand each other perfectly.

Q. Who are your friends on the tour, would you consider?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: I would say the best friends are Spanish, Spanish guys, especially Bruguera, and -- but you know, I can't say that, you know, those guys they are the best. I could say this, but I have very good relationship with everybody.


Q. How are things back home, conditions; how are things back home economically?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: You read the papers?

Q. Yes, how do you see it?

ANREI MEDVEDEV: I read the papers as well. Hopefully we read the same.


Q. Yeah, but you don't like the press you don't think they speak the truth. You could tell me the truth. What is it like back there?

ANREI MEDVEDEV: It is not nice. It is not nice. It needs to be get better, everyone wants it to be better, but I don't think we have enough power, I don't think we have right people to change it.

Q. Other than the players lounge, what would you like to see improved here make this a first class tournament?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: I would like to see a locker room a little bit better. And, of course, the most thing that needs to be improved, it needs to be improved tomorrow, I mean today, any time, the food. Seriously, you get poison here. Listen, I am not joking. I am not joking, you get poison. You easily get poisoned in the players' lounge.

Q. Which particular thing will cause it?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: Anything. That is what is interesting because you go and unfortunately this is the only place where you can eat; you have pasta, which you normally think that helps you, and, you know, sometimes it doesn't.

Seriously, I felt very bad yesterday with my stomach and I ate twice in the players' lounge and I cannot think of anything else other than food. If you have a stomach upset, what do you think? It is food. And I ate twice in the players' lounge. I heard from the other players; they are not very happy about this. Nobody would tell you this, but it is true, the food needs to be improved.

I think it is easy to improve anything, but food is easy to improve. Just make it, I don't know, probably the chef or no matter who is in charge of the food, they make it for general or a thousand people. What they should do, they should make food for every single person. They should imagine, this part of spaghetti that they make would be one person. Seriously, they throw like 100 kilos of spaghetti and they just pour that and they think people will eat it. Sure, we will eat it; then we get poison. I am not saying poison-- maybe it is the wrong word, but I understand that it is getting stomach upset.

Q. What is your favorite food?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: Spaghetti.

Q. Would you like to see the tournament played in New York? Do you like New York?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: Oh, yeah, sure. I am very sure that you know, United States of America deserve to have one Grand Slam tournament not because -- not just because it is a big country or important country, but because you have so many great players. You have No. 1 and 2 in the world. You should be proud of it.

But the thing is that it needs to be changed. It needs to be changed because everyone can see there are many people. Many people can see that the U.S. Open is one of the most important Grand Slams. It is not the secret. Being the top tournament, or trying to be top tournament, this tournament needs to be improved.

Q. With the change, can you tell us what is the position of your official prize money? How much of it goes to you and how much goes to the State?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: It goes all to me.

Q. With the changed scenario, what is the latest position about the official prize money that you receive in the tournaments, how much of it goes to you and how much of it goes to the State or does all of it go to you now?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: Which state?

Q. Ukraine.

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: Nothing goes to Ukraine. I keep it all.


Q. Have you gone into the city, to New York, into Manhattan yet and what was --

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: I stay there.

Q. When you go through Manhattan, everybody recognizes you?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: No.


Q. You still have your freedom?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: Nobody recognize me. Because the people they don't look at you. It is very nice to be honest.
rassklovn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 08:11 AM   #42
country flag Aphex
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Aphex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Hässelby
Posts: 2,806
Aphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No Wonder some plays think Tennis journalists are stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rassklovn
You no like Carolina then?
NO! there's too much Klüft, I can't handle it
Aphex is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 08:13 AM   #43
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio
 
Action Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 124,482
Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No Wonder some plays think Tennis journalists are stupid

Quote:
Q. What appeals to you about this tournament compared to the other Grand Slam events in the world?

ANDREI MEDVEDEV: Drinks are for free. It is very nice. Massage for free. Transportation free. Beside, it is pretty complicated tournament. Because it is a Grand Slam, because you are trying to be concentrate every match and because the conditions are hard -- I mean, hard to play and the facility needs to be improved.
lol@ drinks and the other freebies

Quote:
And, of course, the most thing that needs to be improved, it needs to be improved tomorrow, I mean today, any time, the food. Seriously, you get poison here. Listen, I am not joking. I am not joking, you get poison. You easily get poisoned in the players' lounge.
That is shocking, the bowl of spaghetti shouldn't be moving before you are trying to eat it.
__________________
On Nadal bumping him on the changeover, Rosol said: "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something".


Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 08:32 AM   #44
country flag rassklovn
Senior Member
 
rassklovn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 901
rassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: No Wonder some plays think Tennis journalists are stupid

Q. What are you doing if you are not practicing?

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: Everyday I am going to casino. You know, I am gambling.


Q. I saw you there.

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: Yeah.


Q. Is your hometown on the coast?

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: Yeah.


Q. How big a part of your prize money have you spent in casino?

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: I spent, let us say, I don't know, 10% of my whole prize money which is I made this week.


Q. You are not 21.

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: I am 20, but in that place Loews I am allowed to go there, but on the other place, I have to show my ID. Once I went with Andre Medvedev, and everybody knows him, of course, because he is, let us say, superstar, but nobody ask him for ID, but everybody was asking my ID. I showed them my passport and.


Q. You are older?

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: Yeah, six months older than him, but they didn't throw me in, into casino, because I am 20.
rassklovn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 08:38 AM   #45
country flag Aphex
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Aphex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Hässelby
Posts: 2,806
Aphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No Wonder some plays think Tennis journalists are stupid

when is that Kafelnikov interview from? 93?
Aphex is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios