Stupid Journalism at Press Conferences - Page 10 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-07-2004, 07:38 AM   #136
country flag rassklovn

rassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Stupid Journalist Questions at Press Conferences

1997 U.S. OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP
Flushing Meadows, New York
August 30, 1997

F. MANTILLA/J. Van Lottum
6-7, 6-2, 4-6, 7-6, 6-2

An interview with:
FELIX MANTILLA

Q. Your opponent seemed to suggest that you were not really hurt or it wasn't as bad as what it seemed like. Your reaction to the way he reacted?

FELIX MANTILLA: Well, I think he was very nervous because he was playing in the US Open, but that is tennis. I was cramping and I fight - fight a lot. And for that, I won the match.

Q. You took your first timeout in the second game of 1-0, 15-All and according to -- I think it also helped you mentally. Do you think the same?

FELIX MANTILLA: No, I was strong mentally all the game because I was playing the fifth set in the US Open and I knew that I must fight all the game and I was cramping. But, I was still fighting all the match. I don't think that if I am cramp, I must lose the game. I was fighting and it doesn't matter if I am cramping or not.

Q. If you do a low serve over the net, isn't that a bit provocative as well to your opponent?

FELIX MANTILLA: Yeah, I think he was -- his arm was a little bit tired because he saw me that I couldn't move and he was very nervous. But, I think that I played a very great fifth set. I was playing very well. And, moving, well.

Q. You can have cramps, but on a few moments when you scored the good point, you made a fist to him. Isn't that kind of unfair play?

FELIX MANTILLA: To him, no.

Q. The Open, he did the same to you.
Q. I asked him the question; not you.
Q. I answer to you as well.
Q. But, he is the player; not you.
Q. Okay, but I tell it to you as well.
FELIX MANTILLA: Be quiet.

Q. Yeah, I know, but I asked you the question.
FELIX MANTILLA: Repeat, please.

Q. I asked: You played a few good points; then you showed your fist in the final stage of the fifth set, isn't that a way of unfair play against a qualifier, against an unexperienced player while you were the No. 13 in the world?

FELIX MANTILLA: 12. You don't see the ranking?
Q. No. 12.

FELIX MANTILLA: Well, I think that I must do that every match I must play. I am like this. I am a player that I fight all the game and I do that with qualifier or Sampras, it doesn't matter.

Q. Also the low serve over the net, is that kind of a trick to show or let him guess how you feel, doing it on purpose?

FELIX MANTILLA: If I can serve like this, what am I to do, lose the point? I try to win the point like this.
rassklovn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2004, 01:15 AM   #137
country flag LCeh

LCeh has a reputation beyond reputeLCeh has a reputation beyond reputeLCeh has a reputation beyond reputeLCeh has a reputation beyond reputeLCeh has a reputation beyond reputeLCeh has a reputation beyond reputeLCeh has a reputation beyond reputeLCeh has a reputation beyond reputeLCeh has a reputation beyond reputeLCeh has a reputation beyond reputeLCeh has a reputation beyond repute

This interview was done on Sunday, after Pavel withdrew:

Q. Is it possible for a No. 1 seed to come in at the US Open and sneak away with a championship?

ROGER FEDERER: Say again.

Q. If you are the No. 1 seed, is it possible to come in and sneak away, win this by surprise? Your name here maybe isn't at the top, on everybody's lips as much as the American players.

ROGER FEDERER: I don't know. I think that's a very strange question you're asking. I mean, I didn't become No. 1 in the world by chance. I also worked hard for it. I don't know. I think you're not in the right level at me right now.

Q. I was simply stating, everybody is talking about Agassi and Roddick here. Maybe your name isn't on everybody's lips here at this tournament. I'm not saying it's right or wrong. But is that okay with you?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, they're Americans. What else can I say? It's normal they're more popular here than other players. That's not a secret. It's normal. If they win, it's maybe more logic to other people. But for the tennis experts, you're not talking as an expert, you're talking as a fan.
LCeh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 09:23 AM   #138
country flag rassklovn

rassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to beholdrassklovn is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCeh

Q. Is it possible for a No. 1 seed to come in at the US Open and sneak away with a championship?

Q. If you are the No. 1 seed, is it possible to come in and sneak away, win this by surprise? Your name here maybe isn't at the top, on everybody's lips as much as the American players.

ROGER FEDERER: I don't know. I think that's a very strange question you're asking. I mean, I didn't become No. 1 in the world by chance. I also worked hard for it. I don't know. I think you're not in the right level at me right now.

Q. I was simply stating, everybody is talking about Agassi and Roddick here. Maybe your name isn't on everybody's lips here at this tournament. I'm not saying it's right or wrong. But is that okay with you?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, they're Americans. What else can I say? It's normal they're more popular here than other players. That's not a secret. It's normal. If they win, it's maybe more logic to other people. But for the tennis experts, you're not talking as an expert, you're talking as a fan.
Well done Roger, it shows that this guy just doesn't have a clue.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:55 AM   #139
country flag Red~Ruby

Red~Ruby is a glorious beacon of lightRed~Ruby is a glorious beacon of lightRed~Ruby is a glorious beacon of lightRed~Ruby is a glorious beacon of lightRed~Ruby is a glorious beacon of lightRed~Ruby is a glorious beacon of light

LCeh, and rassklovn, i was just going to post this interview now! I see y'all thought it was absolutely ridiculous! What the hell kinda question is that! he is obviously a rude reporter who is pro american. well maybe he did the opposite and fuelled federer to prove everyone wrong!

you go on Roger!
Red~Ruby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 03:23 PM   #140
country flag Marc Rosset is Tall

Marc Rosset is Tall has a reputation beyond reputeMarc Rosset is Tall has a reputation beyond reputeMarc Rosset is Tall has a reputation beyond reputeMarc Rosset is Tall has a reputation beyond reputeMarc Rosset is Tall has a reputation beyond reputeMarc Rosset is Tall has a reputation beyond reputeMarc Rosset is Tall has a reputation beyond reputeMarc Rosset is Tall has a reputation beyond reputeMarc Rosset is Tall has a reputation beyond reputeMarc Rosset is Tall has a reputation beyond reputeMarc Rosset is Tall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

It wasn't Rios or Kafelnikov like, but Roger did very well answering this tool.
Marc Rosset is Tall is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 03:52 PM   #141
WyveN
Banned!

WyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond repute

The only way Roger can "sneak away with the championship" is if he steals the trophy in the middle of the night after a loss.
WyveN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 03:56 PM   #142

Marc Rosset is Tall has a reputation beyond reputeMarc Rosset is Tall has a reputation beyond reputeMarc Rosset is Tall has a reputation beyond reputeMarc Rosset is Tall has a reputation beyond reputeMarc Rosset is Tall has a reputation beyond reputeMarc Rosset is Tall has a reputation beyond reputeMarc Rosset is Tall has a reputation beyond reputeMarc Rosset is Tall has a reputation beyond reputeMarc Rosset is Tall has a reputation beyond reputeMarc Rosset is Tall has a reputation beyond reputeMarc Rosset is Tall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rassklovn
Q. You can have cramps, but on a few moments when you scored the good point, you made a fist to him. Isn't that kind of unfair play?

FELIX MANTILLA: To him, no.

Q. The Open, he did the same to you.
Q. I asked him the question; not you.
Q. I answer to you as well.
Q. But, he is the player; not you.
Q. Okay, but I tell it to you as well.
FELIX MANTILLA: Be quiet.

Q. Yeah, I know, but I asked you the question.
FELIX MANTILLA: Repeat, please.

Q. I asked: You played a few good points; then you showed your fist in the final stage of the fifth set, isn't that a way of unfair play against a qualifier, against an unexperienced player while you were the No. 13 in the world?

FELIX MANTILLA: 12. You don't see the ranking?
Q. No. 12.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:08 PM   #143
WyveN
Banned!

WyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond repute

Q. With the rumours going around I have to ask. Did you ever gamble on your own matches?

Kafelnikov. I don't want to comment but I say that no, never.

Q. Maybe instead of gambling yourself you gave money to someone else to gamble on you?

Kafelnikov. Why you ask same question two time? I answer first time.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:09 PM   #144

Kafelnikov I miss his directness.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:56 AM   #145
country flag rassklovn

Magnus Larsson the cool Swede.

August 15, 1998

P. SAMPRAS/ M. Larsson

7-5, 2-6, 6-1

An interview with Magnus Larsson

Q. You're the only one that broke his serve all week. What's the key to doing that?

MAGNUS LARSSON: Be lucky, guess the corner, close your eyes and hope there's a God, you know. Have to be a little religious to break his serve. But I don't know. I was going for winners on my forehand when he served to my forehand. He has such a good volley, you can't just put a ball in the court and wait for him to make mistakes.

Q. You kicked a ball into the stands.

MAGNUS LARSSON: It was a good kick.

Q. It was.

MAGNUS LARSSON: I just had to do it. Sometimes you do. It's better to do that than smack a racquet. It was a ball change in a few games. Didn't matter that much. The ball came back. See if I get fined. We'll see. I don't think so. Rudy is a nice umpire, (inaudible). I was a bit frustrated. I lost serve. I had a breakpoint. Missed on his forehand return. Made an ace on the next one. You know, you don't get too much chances against him. When you blow it, you don't even make him play the breakpoint, then you get pretty upset with yourself.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:07 AM   #146
country flag Smankyou

Smankyou has a reputation beyond reputeSmankyou has a reputation beyond reputeSmankyou has a reputation beyond reputeSmankyou has a reputation beyond reputeSmankyou has a reputation beyond reputeSmankyou has a reputation beyond reputeSmankyou has a reputation beyond reputeSmankyou has a reputation beyond reputeSmankyou has a reputation beyond reputeSmankyou has a reputation beyond reputeSmankyou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Ugh. Where is that head banging smilie when you need it? Journalist my ass.
Smankyou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 11:18 AM   #147
Knockers LaBroad

Knockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond reputeKnockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond reputeKnockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond reputeKnockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond reputeKnockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond reputeKnockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond reputeKnockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond reputeKnockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond reputeKnockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond reputeKnockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond reputeKnockers LaBroad has a reputation beyond repute

'I never wanted to be a spaceman'
September 7, 2004
Page Tools

Lleyton Hewitt has never pondered a life as an astronaut.

How do we know? Because he was asked that very question during a bizarre end to his post-match press conference at the US Open on Sunday night.

"What's your favourite movie about outer space and why is it your favourite?," an American reporter asked, prompting a bemused Hewitt to briefly turn interviewer. "What do you write about?" he asked. "I think you're at the wrong press conference."

"It's for Nickelodeon magazine. It's for their celebrity page. It's the space issue for February," the reporter responded.

"Yeah, I don't watch too many space movies," said Hewitt.

"Have you ever thought about being an astronaut?" she asked.

Hewitt replied: "No."
Knockers LaBroad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 11:29 AM   #148
country flag Ferrero Forever

Ferrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No Wonder some plays think Tennis journalists are stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaga learns to rock
03 TMS Madrid
Q. You didn't look happy at the end of the match. Do you think you should have done better? Were you satisfied with your match today?

JUAN CARLOS FERRERO: Yeah, I'm satisfied. Of course, I'm happy. But I'm like this. You know, I'm not smile guy all the time. But, of course, I'm pretty happy. Believe me…
smile guy, heheh, and only one you know, i can't believe he only said you know once.

Juan Monaco, Tommy Robredo, Fernando Gonzalez, Juan Martin Del Potro, David Ferrer, Guillermo Garcia Lopez, Juan Ignatio Chela, Fernando Verdasco, Carlos Moya, Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, Lucas Arnold Ker, Nicolas Lapentti
Ferrero Forever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 01:55 AM   #149
WyveN
Banned!

Q. Disappointing to lose today. Do you feel this has been pretty successful? Most people never heard of Dominik Hrbaty until this tournament. Has to be somewhat successful for you.

DOMINIK HRBATY: I don't know. I think I've been pretty long time there with the tennis. So I make the better results on the Grand Slam than this one.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:01 AM   #150
country flag Vladimir Poutine

Vladimir Poutine will become famous soon enoughVladimir Poutine will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Rosset is Tall
Q. You want to talk about that about what he said (inaudible)?

THOMAS MUSTER: No, not really. Brad Gilbert keeps talking all day long anyway. He is like a radio, like, you know, nothing much talking because you don't even need a review of your play because he is going to comment on it I anyway. You just need to be in there.

Q. You said that he obviously played that well because he was playing you. Did you feel any extra pressure to beat him today because of everything --

THOMAS MUSTER: No, I was not supposed to win since I don't know how to play on hard court I am not supposed to win (LAUGHTER)

Q. What would it have meant to you if had you won today?

THOMAS MUSTER: That I would have to play tomorrow again.

Q. Nothing else?

THOMAS MUSTER: No, not really. I mean, it was a match and it would have given me extra points which would have been great and being in the finals here, but as I said, I have done good this week and I am happy the way I performed and I just played somebody who played better today.

Q. You are obviously being sarcastic about not being able to play on hard court?

THOMAS MUSTER: No, I am serious (LAUGHTER).

Vladimir Poutine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote