The well, at least the discussion was fun for a day not-really-Delray-Thread - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-27-2006, 05:39 PM   #31
country flag blosson
La La Land

blosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the WTF ARE YOU DOING PLAYING THIS TOURNEY?!?!!??!!?!?! Delray thread

Andy is listening to Heya.

He will practice with real players in real match situation and not against John Roddick or some teenanger from juniors.
blosson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2006, 05:41 PM   #32
country flag blosson
La La Land

blosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the WTF ARE YOU DOING PLAYING THIS TOURNEY?!?!!??!!?!?! Delray thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fee
I hope that Andy makes it through (he better), draws Sargisian, and spanks him back into retirement in the first round. Poetic justice in my opinion.
If Andy draws Andre in the first round?
blosson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:44 PM   #33
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

Same thing. Maybe more so because its Andre that got Sarge that wildcard, I'm sure of it (and the one at San Jose too). It's just wrong and I hope the young Americans just ignore him for the rest of the Spring.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:46 PM   #34
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blosson
I think he wants to play more competitive matches. He probably doens't care if he wins or not but he will be practicing his new moves. That's all I can think of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Inc.
This is a good sign. It shows the loss to Baghdatis is really making him go apeshit in anger. However, I am not sure if this is the best way for him to funnel that anger. It might be time better spent on the practice court, learning how to hit a backhand down the line, trying to get better on service returns and hitting his forehand with power again.
All good points. Chaos, it's one thing to hit DTL backhand winners in practice but quite another to do under pressure in a match. Delray will give him better practice. Plus, another one of Andy's nemesis' is there in the form of Andre. If he beat him that would be a huge confidence booster.

Another point may be that this is his way to get match tough. Andy said he trained hard over the off-season but training hard isn't the same as being match tough and I think he needs that more right now than doing another 2,000 sit-ups (the body looks great, btw).
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:49 PM   #35
country flag Chaos Inc.

Chaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blosson
Andy is listening to Heya.

He will practice with real players in real match situation and not against John Roddick or some teenanger from juniors.

The only way to improve on the skill sets that he is lacking in is by putting in the hours on the practice courts. I am glad to see he is not just oh welling the loss like he has so many over the last year and a half...he is showing desire...getting tired of everyone in the tennis world laughing at the way he is playing. Like I said, just not sure that this is the best way for him to improve the glaring weaknesses he has......
Chaos Inc. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:56 PM   #36
country flag partygirl

partygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine_dream
(the body looks great, btw).
check my siggy.
partygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:56 PM   #37
country flag Angle Queen
Mom 2 2 Beauties

Angle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond repute

I'm also of the wait-and-see mindset. I really can't see him not qualifying...and real match play, even if they're essentially walkovers...is better than whatever he's been doing on the practice court.

Anyone know if they're going to have line judges for the qualies...and if they're used to see a 130+ mph serve?
Old 01-27-2006, 05:56 PM   #38
country flag partygirl

partygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
(the body looks great, btw).
check my siggy. i ain't lyin'
Old 01-27-2006, 05:57 PM   #39
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, they're delaying the draw according to the ATP/tourney site.

Marlene, they do have line judges for qualies. It's like a regular ATP match really. We went to Qualies in LA and the only difference is that it's on smaller courts and they're all right next to each other going on at the same time. But for Andy's matches, I imagine they'll use the center court lol.
-----------------------------
Roddick Enters Delray Beach Qualifying

Fans can sit in box seats and watch the No. 3-ranked tennis player in the world tomorrow for FREE at the Delray Beach Tennis Center as Andy Roddick has informed the Delray Beach International Tennis Championships that he will play in its qualifying rounds. The top four players who finish in the two-day qualifying tournament advance to the main draw, which starts Monday (Jan. 30).

Roddick is seeking to join a main draw that includes eight*time Grand Slam champion Andre Agassi and ATP stars Robby Ginepri, Tommy Haas, Mardy Fish as well as defending champion Xavier Malisse.

"I spoke to Andy and he requested a wild card and he understands that I didn't have one to give," said tournament director Mark Baron, who gave Roddick a wild card into his first ATP tournament in 2000 and one in 2001 as well. "He is playing the qualies because he wants match play, it's his hometown and it works for him."

Roddick will be the No. 1 seed in the qualifying tournament, and could play as many as two matches tomorrow depending on the number of players who sign up to play in the 32-man draw. If less than 32 players enter, he would receive a bye in the first round, which starts at 10:00 am tomorrow. A final match would come on Sunday at 12:00 noon.

Roddick has played in this tournament four times, with his best result coming in 2002 when he reached the final before losing to Italian Davide Sanguinetti. He is 4-3 in singles play, and teamed with Jan-Michael Gambill in 2001 to win the tournament¹s doubles crown.

The last time a qualifier was seeded in a main draw of an ATP event came in May of 1995 when Frenchman Arnaud Boetsch was the No. 5 seed in Bologna.

Should Roddick qualify into the Delray Beach ITC main draw, he would be the No. 1 seed in the tournament (Agassi would be No. 2), and the highest qualifier ever seeded in an ATP event. Goran Ivanisevic currently holds that distinction‹he was the No. 2 seed in the Manchester ATP event in June, 1991.

Qualifying rounds begin at 10:00 am tomorrow and Sunday¹s final around begins at noon. Admission is free to the public, and stadium seats are available on a first-come, first-served basis.

The sign-in for the qualifying tournament ends tonight at 9:00 pm. The players will then be bracketed and an order of play will be announced. The tournament's main draw, originally scheduled for tomorrow at noon, will now be held Sunday following qualifying rounds.

The Delray Beach ITC is the first of 14 ATP tournaments that will be held in the United States in 2006. Box seats, reserved series seats and individual session tickets are on sale through YellowTennisBall.com, the Delray Beach ITC Ticket Office (561-330-6000) or Ticketmaster in Palm Beach (561) 966-3309, Broward (954) 523-3309 or Dade (305) 358-5885.

Single session grandstand tickets range from $10 to $20 while box seats are $50 to $75. Championship packages that include preferred seating for all 11 sessions are $220 while the Weekender package (quarterfinals through finals) is $150. Box seat packages begin at $930 for two seats and range up to $2,000 for four premium courtside seats. Box seats include premier parking and an array of amenities.

The tournament anticipates that all box seats and reserved seats will be sold in the next few days, leaving only grandstand tickets available.

Please visit YellowTennisBall.com throughout the tournament for news, live scoring, and ticket information.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:57 PM   #40
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

smucav just posted the ATP article in the tournament thread. The draw has been postponed until Sunday after qualifying is completed. If Andy gets through qualies, he will be the tournament's #1 seed. Excellent.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:58 PM   #41
country flag Chaos Inc.

Chaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
All good points. Chaos, it's one thing to hit DTL backhand winners in practice but quite another to do under pressure in a match. Delray will give him better practice. Plus, another one of Andy's nemesis' is there in the form of Andre. If he beat him that would be a huge confidence booster.

Another point may be that this is his way to get match tough. Andy said he trained hard over the off-season but training hard isn't the same as being match tough and I think he needs that more right now than doing another 2,000 sit-ups (the body looks great, btw).

You are right that there is a huge difference between practice and match conditions. The problem is, I think Andy needs to change the technique on his return of serve and backhand. You can't do that in a match, where you are trying to scrap and do what it takes to win. You have to make these changes in practice. We will see the same flaws in those areas that we have seen in the last couple of years....things that the other tour players now pick on to beat Andy.....

Last edited by Chaos Inc. : 01-27-2006 at 07:29 PM.
Chaos Inc. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 06:01 PM   #42
country flag partygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb.
teamed with Jan-Michael Gambill in 2001 to win the tournament¹s doubles crown.
do it again, do it again!
just cause it must be some sight those 2...
and winning no less
Old 01-27-2006, 06:06 PM   #43
country flag Angle Queen
Mom 2 2 Beauties

Angle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Inc.
You are right that there is a huge difference between practice and match conditions. The problem is, I think Andy needs to change the technique on his return of serve and backhand. You can't do that in a match, where you are trying to scrap and do what it takes to to win. You have to make these changes in practice. We will see the same flaws in those areas that we have seen in the last couple of years....things that the other tour players now pick on to beat Andy.....
I agree, in principle...that you shouldn't start changing things in match play. But once you've worked on them in practice, you've got to eventually debut them in match play. Doing that at a GS...or on an unkind surface (like clay...for Andy)...is not a good idea.

In truth, though, I'm not convinced that Andy's convinced he's got to change his BH or return of serve.

Welcome to the forum, btw.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:08 PM   #44
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Before he should even thing about any technical changes to his game, IMO, he has to worry about his HEAD. He could have the best return in the game but if he doesn't have the confidence to go for his shots and stuff, it doesn't matter. He has one of the best forehands in the game, but you wouldn't know it if you watched that Baghdatis match. His main important problems right now are all in his head, IMO.

LOL, I love ar.com
-------------------
Andy To Play Delray International Tournament
January 27th, 2006 02:41 pm
By Andyroddick.com Staff

In a completely unpredictable and inspired move, Andy has elected to play in the International Series Delray Beach qualifying tournament this weekend. Andy’s decision to compete in the tournament came after the wild card entry deadline, placing the top ranked American in territory reminiscent of his junior days.

This unprecedented and remarkable decision is a first for the men’s tour. Our sources at the ATP report this has never been done before. The closest was Goran Ivanesivic back in 1991 playing a tune-up tournament in Nottingham prior to Wimbledon. Goran did play qualifying and was put in the draw as the #2 seed.

“I guess the simple reason is that Andy wanted to play matches,” agent Ken Meyerson reacted to his star client’s spontaneity.

Qualifying rounds begin Saturday. Check back to Ar.com for more of Andy in Delray Beach.

Go Andy!

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...

Last edited by Deboogle!. : 01-27-2006 at 06:12 PM.
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 06:12 PM   #45
country flag warmy

warmy has a reputation beyond reputewarmy has a reputation beyond reputewarmy has a reputation beyond reputewarmy has a reputation beyond reputewarmy has a reputation beyond reputewarmy has a reputation beyond reputewarmy has a reputation beyond reputewarmy has a reputation beyond reputewarmy has a reputation beyond reputewarmy has a reputation beyond reputewarmy has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh... I have to admit that I think this is sooo fuckin cool of him. He's trying something different and a bit radical to get himself where he wants to be. That takes guts and more importantly some real desire on Andy's part. I'm not sure it really matters if this works out or not, that Andy is willing to try is enough to put him firmly back into my good graces.

Andy