The well, at least the discussion was fun for a day not-really-Delray-Thread - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-27-2006, 04:33 PM   #16
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the WTF are you doing playing this tourney Delray thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devotee
This is more evidence that he needs a sports psychologist. Instead of taking time to play in this tournament, he should be interviewing for a personal sports psychologist. I'm not kidding at all.
Yeah, basically!!!!!!

I mean if they don't delay the draw or something somehow, and I don't see how they really could, he could get ANYONE in the first round - Agassi, Haas, whoever!

OY GEVALT.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2006, 04:34 PM   #17
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the WTF ARE YOU DOING PLAYING THIS TOURNEY?!?!!??!!?!?! Delray thread

I am not laughing or crying yet but I am curious to know what Team Roddick has in mind with all of this.

Roddick Enters Delray Beach Qualifying Draw
By Tennis Week
01/28/2006

The Delray Beach draw has grown even deeper with the addition of another former World No. 1. Third-ranked Andy Roddick, who was bounced out of the Australian Open in the fourth round by Cyprus' sensation Marcos Baghdatis will try to bounce back this weekend when he competes in the qualifying draw for the Delray Beach International Tennis Championships.

The tournament — which already features former No. 1 Andre Agassi, James Blake, Robby Ginepri, Tommy Haas, defending champion Xavier Malisse and Mardy Fish in its main draw — did not have a wild card available for Roddick, so he will play qualifying this weekend to earn a spot in the main draw.

"It's true. We will be announcing it shortly," a tournament spokesperson told Tennis Week today.

Delray Beach officials awarded their three wild cards to Agassi, Fish and Sargis Sargsian, who announced his retirement from tournament tennis last year, but is returning to play the ITC.

It will be Roddick's first qualifying appearance since the fall of 2000 when at age 18 he qualified for a Challenger in Austin, Texas, shortly after beating Ginepri to capture the U.S. Open junior title. Roddick went on to beat then 161st-ranked Michael Russell, 6-4, 6-4, to take the Austin title.

Roddick, who grew up in nearby Boca Raton, Florida and now lives in Austin, is eager to accumulate more match play before the United States' opening-round Davis Cup tie against Romania set for February 10-12th at the LaJolla Beach & Tennis Club.

There is growing speculation Agassi and Roddick will be the American singles starters for that tie with twins Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan playing doubles, forming a team of four U.S. Open champions. That cast was in place last April when the U.S. was upset by eventual Davis Cup champion Croatia in Carson, California. Agassi hinted he hopes to play the Davis Cup tie in a conference call with the media. U.S. Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe will officially announce the U.S. squad next week. Tennis Week has contacted McEnroe for comment on Agassi's remarks.

It will be Roddick's fifth Delray Beach appearance. He reached the 2002 tournament final, falling to Davide Sanguinetti, 4-6, 6-4, 4-6.

The tournament begins on Monday at the Delray Beach Stadium & Tennis Center in Delray Beach, Florida. The Delray Beach ITC qualifying tournament will be contested this Saturday and Sunday. Saturday's rounds begin at 10 a.m., while Sunday's play begins at noon. Admission is free for both days of qualifying play.

Agassi, who practiced on Delray Beach stadium court yesterday, looking exceedingly fit in a black sleeveless adidas t-shirt and matching shorts, is friendly with Roddick, who grew up admiring the eight-time Grand Slam champion. The pair played an entertaining exhibition match in Richmond, Virginia last month and could join forces again in Davis Cup. For more information on the tournament, please visit the Delray Beach ITC web site.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 04:36 PM   #18
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the WTF ARE YOU DOING PLAYING THIS TOURNEY?!?!!??!!?!?! Delray thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine_dream
It will be Roddick's first qualifying appearance since the fall of 2000 when at age 18 he qualified for a Challenger in Austin, Texas, shortly after beating Ginepri to capture the U.S. Open junior title. Roddick went on to beat then 161st-ranked Michael Russell, 6-4, 6-4, to take the Austin title.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 04:36 PM   #19
country flag lizzieh

lizzieh has a reputation beyond reputelizzieh has a reputation beyond reputelizzieh has a reputation beyond reputelizzieh has a reputation beyond reputelizzieh has a reputation beyond reputelizzieh has a reputation beyond reputelizzieh has a reputation beyond reputelizzieh has a reputation beyond reputelizzieh has a reputation beyond reputelizzieh has a reputation beyond reputelizzieh has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb.
I just realized.... what happens to the draw!! It's supposed to be made Saturday, before qualies end. Andy would be #1 seed in the tourney were he in the normal way but this way they can't do that... I wonder what happens!?
interesting question...I guess we'll find out sooner or later...

*hoping for his sake that he actually GETS THROUGH the qualifying...*
Old 01-27-2006, 04:44 PM   #20
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Björki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's great. Why not... good luck Andy

Bryans || Djokovic || Paire || Chiudinelli || Nalbandian || Hanley || Rojer || Nadal
Söderling || Verdasco || Wawrinka || Simon || O. Rochus || Leo Mayer

Björkman || Arthurs || Edberg || Rafter || T.Johansson || M.Norman || Aspelin
Björki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 04:46 PM   #21
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devotee
I have a sneaking, unsettling feeling it's because Andy now has lost so much confidence. He's going back to his roots where he first won & fans exude warmth.
Good point. Another angle to this is perhaps Andy is going to take the Andre route for a bit (i.e., playing challengers, etc. to get back to basics and rebuild confidence)?

Instead of laughing at Andy I think it takes cojones for a top player to "lower himself" by entering qualifying draws. Andy is taking his recent losses seriously. I'll take a wait-and-see approach for now.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums

Last edited by tangerine_dream : 01-27-2006 at 05:06 PM.
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 04:46 PM   #22
country flag partygirl

partygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond repute

HEY YOU GUYS & GIRLS...

what if he fails to qualify???

maybe then he'd really know something was wrong (cause i bet he really feels vindicated in some ass backward way now that baggy is in the final )
so i guess im hoping for this, even though he should'nt be able to fuck even this up...but i like thinking about it...-im bad.
partygirl is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 04:49 PM   #23
country flag lizzieh

lizzieh has a reputation beyond reputelizzieh has a reputation beyond reputelizzieh has a reputation beyond reputelizzieh has a reputation beyond reputelizzieh has a reputation beyond reputelizzieh has a reputation beyond reputelizzieh has a reputation beyond reputelizzieh has a reputation beyond reputelizzieh has a reputation beyond reputelizzieh has a reputation beyond reputelizzieh has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by partygirl
what if he fails to qualify???
this is my only worry....

I've got no problem with him taking this route... if it's the what he feels he needs to do then why not give it a crack..but if it doesnt come off I hate to think what it'll do to his somewhat fragile confidence of late..
Old 01-27-2006, 05:05 PM   #24
country flag acoffeygirl

acoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just still sitting here....in a bit of confusion over all of this!!

Through this world I've stumbled, So many times betrayed
Trying to find an honest word to find, The truth enslaved
Oh you speak to me in riddles, And you speak to me in rhymes
My body aches to breathe your breath, Your words keep me alive
And I would be the one, To hold you down
Kiss you so hard, I'll take your breath away
And after, I'd wipe away the tears
Just close your eyes dear
acoffeygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:12 PM   #25
country flag blosson
La La Land

blosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond repute

I think he wants to play more competitive matches. He probably doens't care if he wins or not but he will be practicing his new moves. That's all I can think of.
blosson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:17 PM   #26
country flag Chaos Inc.

Chaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond repute

This is a good sign. It shows the loss to Baghdatis is really making him go apeshit in anger. However, I am not sure if this is the best way for him to funnel that anger. It might be time better spent on the practice court, learning how to hit a backhand down the line, trying to get better on service returns and hitting his forehand with power again.
Chaos Inc. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:22 PM   #27
country flag partygirl

partygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Inc.
learning how to hit a backhand down the line.
i actually didnt think his DTL shots were so bad...at least not last year, when he chose to use them.

but he never does...like some other things.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:24 PM   #28
country flag PinkFeatherBoa

PinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoffeygirl
I'm just still sitting here....in a bit of confusion over all of this!!
I was just about to post a similar thing.

My initial reaction to this is 'why', basically, but I've given up trying to figure out Andy's logic.

just so long as he doesn't crap out in qualies, then it's fine.

Maybe the sky will fall?
Allez Gasquet~Mathieu~Wawrinka~Mannarino~+++

Last edited by PinkFeatherBoa : 01-27-2006 at 05:35 PM. Reason: can't fucking spell.
PinkFeatherBoa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:28 PM   #29
country flag partygirl

be prepared to read:

world #3 Andy Roddick fails to qualify.
-fans laugh while hanging their smart heads in shame-

Old 01-27-2006, 05:39 PM   #30
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

As far as the draw goes, Andy will go into it as a qualifer. I don't think they can hold the draw until qualies are done. This happened to Alex Bogomolov last year (or the year before?). He went through qualies at a Challenger where he would have been the number one seed, the draw was made, he was placed as a qualifier, and he went on to win the tournament. Andre will be the top seed.

I hope that Andy makes it through (he better), draws Sargisian, and spanks him back into retirement in the first round. Poetic justice in my opinion.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote