The well, at least the discussion was fun for a day not-really-Delray-Thread - Page 14 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-30-2006, 03:16 AM   #196
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The well, at least the discussion was fun for a day not-really-Delray-Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fee
Exactly Tangy. You know, I think back over the personal encounters I've had with Andy over the years, the things I've seen, the things I've heard from fans and non-fans alike, the court behavior, etc etc etc. NOTHING in any of that experience leads me to believe that Andy would try to pressure a TD into switching a wildcard, nor would he ask one of his friends to give up his. Andy knows the rules of tournament entry, he knows that if you make a last minute switch to your schedule there are only so many options. Because of his history at Delray Beach, he had reason to believe they would honor his request for confidentiality. They did not and their premature verbal ejaculation (really, the only thing I can compare it too) has damaged Andy, when all he was doing was looking for some matches to play. I am seriously beginning to doubt he said any of the stuff printed in that article yesterday. I can believe that he had a bad practice and got mouthy about it, but I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT believe that Andy would ever use his Davis Cup membership as some type of gauntlet to slap someone with. THAT does not sound like him at all.
And "premature verbal ejaculation" is an absolutely brilliant analogy. Why aren't you writing about tennis for newspapers, etc. instead of this Harvey doofus?

Speaking of Mr. Harvey let me tell you something: he is as abusive and nasty in his e-mails as he sounds in his articles. I was taken aback by such an unprofessional manner.

I had e-mailed him immediately after that first article appeared and called him out on the WC insinuation saying exactly what I said here: no way would Roddick demand that somebody give up a WC so that he could get in. Fialkov claimed it was true and that he got it directly from Dean. Yeah, right. So then why didn't he directly quote Dean?

Lo and behold, the next day Mr Fialkov suddenly tones down the accusations and ends up printing a deflated mea culpa-type article that doesn't sound too much like the first nasty article (the one he claimed was 100% accurate). I e-mailed him again and told him that he should get his facts straight the first time around so that he wouldn't have to do a follow-up article that puts his tail between the proverbial legs. Boy, was he mad at me after that.

What a prick. Top of the tennis shitlist.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums

Last edited by tangerine_dream : 01-30-2006 at 03:20 AM.
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2006, 03:33 AM   #197
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The well, at least the discussion was fun for a day not-really-Delray-Thread

Sounds like an ass, and now I know to never take his articles seriously anymore. Feel free to forward your email exchange to his editors.

I'm not a good writer, I don't know enough about the technical aspects of tennis, and I care too much about certain players to be objective (to answer your question ).

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 03:59 AM   #198
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Tangy, he actually replied to you rudely?????? Wow.

But, no one here ever even entertained the idea that he would ask to give up his WC. I don't think that was ever suggested by anyone in this thread at all, because if we thought that's what Andy's personality was, we probably wouldn't be fans.

But his comments during that practice, for whatever reason, were said, and he said them, and they still made him look like a spoiled brat with an entitlement complex. Perhaps he was slighted by the tourney, that's what it looks like, perhaps he was deceived and misled and betrayed. And he had every right to be upset about all of that, no question at all. But he still sounded obnoxious with what he said, regardless. Perhaps they were taken out of context or something. That we'll never know, but unfortunately we can only take them as they were published and as they were published, they made andy look pretty shitty regardless of whether he had a reason to be upset or not.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 04:49 AM   #199
country flag Noelle

Noelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond repute

What if those comments he was quoted in that interview to have said were taken from an earlier interview which had nothing to do with Delray Beach? I seem to remember that he said something about the "playing more Davis Cup" after the US Open first round exit and the bad press that followed it.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:20 AM   #200
country flag acoffeygirl

acoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Tennis-X is pissing me off!

Through this world I've stumbled, So many times betrayed
Trying to find an honest word to find, The truth enslaved
Oh you speak to me in riddles, And you speak to me in rhymes
My body aches to breathe your breath, Your words keep me alive
And I would be the one, To hold you down
Kiss you so hard, I'll take your breath away
And after, I'd wipe away the tears
Just close your eyes dear
acoffeygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 05:25 AM   #201
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelle
What if those comments he was quoted in that interview to have said were taken from an earlier interview which had nothing to do with Delray Beach? I seem to remember that he said something about the "playing more Davis Cup" after the US Open first round exit and the bad press that followed it.
oh no, they were said that day at practice. That's been corroborated by more than one paper. And he was pretty clear that Andy did not say that stuff in a formal interview but in the course of his practice when he was annoyed.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 01-30-2006, 05:38 AM   #202
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

No, I don't believe they were corroborated by another paper, I believe they were 'repeated' by other papers, and that is a HUUUUGE difference. I would like to get my hands on individuals who actually heard Andy say any of that stuff, instead of just one writer whose story has been repeated.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 05:45 AM   #203
country flag acoffeygirl

acoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond reputeacoffeygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Where is Danielle's new bff....maybe he could give some insider info?

Old 01-30-2006, 05:48 AM   #204
country flag superpinkone37

superpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond reputesuperpinkone37 has a reputation beyond repute

He didn't say anything about those things Andy supposedly said.

All he said was that Andy was frustrated with the wind and how Vince was playing really well.

But I don't think he knew much about the tourney 'betraying' him or anything or even about the rules regarding direct entry and stuff.

superpinkone37 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 05:49 AM   #205
country flag Deboogle!.

Well I'm sure the BFF is tactful enough to not propagate stuff like that . the Palm Beach Post always covers Delray so I would be surprised if they didn't have someone there, their article mentioned many of the same quotes, so I don't think they just ripped it from the Sun-Sentinel and they didn't use words such as "allegedly" or "reportedly," which would suggest they weren't there.

If the Florida papers all just ripped it from the Sun-Sentinel and didn't have anyone there and Andy didnt say it, I hope Andy sues them all for defamation There would've been enough witnesses that the case would be a slam dunk And if the PBP ripped it off from the Sun-Sentinel, I hope they sue for infringement

Aside from the fact that the reporter doesn't seem to like Andy that much, i don't see any reason to believe that he DIDN'T say it. I mean, the NY Times makes stuff up sometimes, but I don't see why some little tennis writer would just create all those quotes. Maybe he took them out of context a bit to make a good story but I'd say it's pretty likely Andy said that stuff. Maybe he had a reason that we're not privy to or whatever. I'll assume that more happened there than we know about and it's not much our business anyway, but I bet at the end of the day Andy did say that stuff in some respect or another

Last edited by Deboogle!. : 01-30-2006 at 05:54 AM.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:57 AM   #206
country flag Noelle

Noelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever. It's all a lot of hot air about nothing, anyway.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:59 AM   #207
country flag Deboogle!.

Well I don't think it's *nothing*

For the Sun-Sentinel guy to backtrack like that most likely means the tourney really screwed up. I think it's kind of a big deal that a tourney like that, that gave andy WCs to start out, that he played until it moved in the schedule to a bad time, etc, did something so bad that his coach would be talking to the press about him being betrayed/deceived/etc.

Something about it smells really rotten, that's all I know

I imagine he'll be asked about it at some point - DC or San Jose or something, so maybe we'll at least get to hear HIS side of the story at some point. May not be the truth but it'd be what he has to say about it at least.

Old 01-30-2006, 06:05 AM   #208
country flag acoffeygirl

We can ask him about it during our "intervention"!

Old 01-30-2006, 06:57 AM   #209
country flag warmy

warmy has a reputation beyond reputewarmy has a reputation beyond reputewarmy has a reputation beyond reputewarmy has a reputation beyond reputewarmy has a reputation beyond reputewarmy has a reputation beyond reputewarmy has a reputation beyond reputewarmy has a reputation beyond reputewarmy has a reputation beyond reputewarmy has a reputation beyond reputewarmy has a reputation beyond repute

Can we also depants him at our "intervention?"

I think we'd get a more entertaining response.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:28 PM   #210
country flag Winston's Human

Winston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine_dream
And "premature verbal ejaculation" is an absolutely brilliant analogy. Why aren't you writing about tennis for newspapers, etc. instead of this Harvey doofus?

Speaking of Mr. Harvey let me tell you something: he is as abusive and nasty in his e-mails as he sounds in his articles. I was taken aback by such an unprofessional manner.

I had e-mailed him immediately after that first article appeared and called him out on the WC insinuation saying exactly what I said here: no way would Roddick demand that somebody give up a WC so that he could get in. Fialkov claimed it was true and that he got it directly from Dean. Yeah, right. So then why didn't he directly quote Dean?

Lo and behold, the next day Mr Fialkov suddenly tones down the accusations and ends up printing a deflated mea culpa-type article that doesn't sound too much like the first nasty article (the one he claimed was 100% accurate). I e-mailed him again and told him that he should get his facts straight the first time around so that he wouldn't have to do a follow-up article that puts his tail between the proverbial legs. Boy, was he mad at me after that.

What a prick. Top of the tennis shitlist.
It does not surprise me that he was an arrogant jerk.

It has been my experience that journalist are more interested in creating a story than reporting the news. Unfortunately, their arrogance is usually compounded with ignorance.

I cannot tell you how many times I have explained something to a reporter only to have it wrong in the article or omitted because it does not fit the article's viewpoint.
Winston's Human is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote