Good effort anyway, Andy. FIND YOUR CONFIDENCE SOON! (SAP Open thread) - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-27-2006, 01:43 PM   #46
country flag Tytta!.
(:

Tytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving forward! Singing a new tune in San Jose! (SAP Open thread)

Oi Guida Tudo ótimo! E contigo?
Tytta!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2006, 02:00 PM   #47
country flag PinkFeatherBoa

PinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond repute

RENATA!

Maybe the sky will fall?
Allez Gasquet~Mathieu~Wawrinka~Mannarino~+++
PinkFeatherBoa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 11:36 PM   #48
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Two-time champ Roddick is top seed at SAP Open

By Darren Sabedra
Mercury News
2/11/06

Andy Roddick's road to a third consecutive SAP Open title will start Tuesday at HP Pavilion against Spain's Guillermo Garcia-Lopez.

Andre Agassi's path to an unprecedented sixth Bay Area title will start Monday against wild card Scoville Jenkins, a 19-year-old from Atlanta who couldn't stop smiling Friday after learning of the matchup.

"It's nothing but a great opportunity,'' Jenkins said. "I'm playing one of the greats of the game.''

Roddick is the tournament's top seed, followed by Agassi, Lleyton Hewitt, Tommy Robredo and James Blake.

The doubles draw will feature John McEnroe, who hasn't played an ATP tour event since 1994. He turns 47 on Thursday.

Jenkins is one of three wild cards in the 32-player singles field, joining 1999 and 2000 San Jose champion Mark Philippoussis and Mardy Fish.

Jenkins won his first pro tournament three weeks ago and is the youngest American ranked in the top 250. He is 247, up from 744 last year, and is no stranger to playing top competition. Last year, Jenkins lost to world No. 2 Rafael Nadal in the second round of the U.S. Open. Two years ago at the Open, Roddick beat Jenkins in the first round.

"That'll help me a ton,'' Jenkins said. "It was a great opportunity then, but now I know what to expect.''

Agassi, 35, missed the Australian Open last month because of an ankle injury but returned last week, losing in straight sets to Garcia-Lopez in the quarterfinals of the International Tennis Championships in Delray Beach, Fla.

"I haven't gotten my game together,'' Agassi told reporters afterward. "It will take matches and time to work that out.''

Roddick is coming off a second consecutive poor showing at a Grand Slam, losing to eventual finalist Marcus Baghdatis in the fourth round of the Australian Open.

"I don't know if it's as easy just to shrug off,'' Roddick told the New York Times. "It's disappointing when you feel like you've put in the work. There are no unanswered questions in my eyes as far as preparation. So you're kind of left searching a little bit.''

Roddick did more than search. He fired Coach Dean Goldfine this week and replaced him with brother John Roddick. Goldfine had taken over from Brad Gilbert, who guided Roddick to his only Grand Slam title (2003 U.S. Open).

"That's the story right now on the men's side, Andy Roddick finding his way,'' said Luke Jensen, an ESPN analyst who is in the doubles field at the SAP Open.

Roddick wasn't the only American who struggled in Australia. Blake, who made a triumphant comeback last year from injury, illness and the death of his father, didn't get past the third round at the Open but was encouraged that he won a tournament in Sydney a week earlier.

"I definitely would have liked to have done better in the Australian Open,'' said Blake, who will play Tuesday against Yeu-Tzuoo Wang. "But it was great to play as well as I did in Sydney. I feel like I am all the way back, but I feel like I can keep improving.''

Hewitt, playing in San Jose for the first time since he won the tournament in 2002, opens against former Stanford star Paul Goldstein.
SAP singles draw attached below. Andy's first round opponent will be Garcia-Lopez (who had just beaten Agassi at Delray Beach).

Even more intriguing: Mardy Fish takes on Andy Murray in the opening round.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf msdraw.pdf (45.2 KB, 4 views)
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 11:53 PM   #49
country flag williaer

williaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Tangy!!
Wow, a possible 2nd round match for James and Mardy (that is if he beats Murray)!!
Looks like it's gonna be a very exciting tournament. Andy better play well
williaer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 12:03 AM   #50
country flag partygirl

partygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond repute

thanks to one ms. Fee

i get to go to andy & james matches on tues.
i just had to say that again.
partygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 12:12 AM   #51
country flag williaer

williaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by partygirl
thanks to one ms. Fee

i get to go to andy & james matches on tues.
i just had to say that again.
Andy and James match on Tuesday?
Old 02-12-2006, 12:15 AM   #52
heya
Banned!

heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute

JROD should tell him what match preparation and prioirities are.

Andy's too conservative and self-righteous.
heya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 12:24 AM   #53
country flag partygirl

partygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by williaer
Andy and James match on Tuesday?
their respective matches...not against eachother
Old 02-12-2006, 12:25 AM   #54
country flag williaer

Quote:
Originally Posted by partygirl
their respective matches...not against eachother
Oh ok, awesome!!!!
Old 02-12-2006, 01:03 AM   #55
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome. Fingers crossed Andy shows up, fired up to defend his title.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 04:56 PM   #56
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Same old, same old.....I disagree wholeheartedly that Andy's legacy is "tarnished"? By what exactly? Because he's not playing to his potential? It's not like he quit with stomach cramps during a major final. This guy is grasping at straws, trying to make Andy's current predicament more dire than it really is.

Quote:
SAP OPEN
What's wrong with RODDICK?
Dubious strategy, coach changes have sunk him in majors

by Bruce Jenkins
SF Chronicle
February 12, 2006

It's a long road back to Wimbledon for Andy Roddick. He sees things clearly at the All England Club, knowing that only Roger Federer is his superior, and there's no disgrace in that. The rest of the tour has found him slipping into cracks generally reserved for the mediocre. If he continues his recent slide, the Wimbledon seedings might reflect a once-mercurial player in decline.

The road will take Roddick through the French Open, where he will undoubtedly take an incomprehensible loss, and the rest of a clay-court circuit that generally confounds American players. It will also take him through San Jose, site of the SAP Open beginning Monday at HP Pavilion, and that will be the perfect setting to take stock of his affairs.

When he last passed through San Jose, a year ago, Roddick was winning the tournament for the second straight time. Although Federer wasn't there, the rest of the field seemed well removed from his league. Roddick looked very much like the player who stormed through the 2003 U.S. Open and represented such glowing hopes for U.S. tennis.

Since then -- and to hear some tell it, since Roddick broke ties with his Marin-based coach, Brad Gilbert -- Roddick has taken a desultory path through the majors. He lost in consecutive years to Joachim Johansson and Gilles Muller at the U.S. Open. He fell to Jose Acasuso at last year's French. The dawning of '06 brought a stunning loss to Marcos Baghdatis at the Australian Open, and while Baghdatis was no fluke, blasting his way to the final against Federer, Roddick was pegged to handle the world's 54th-ranked player.

People cut Roddick a ton of slack in recent months, always calling up those fond championship memories at Arthur Ashe Stadium, but now bring a flood of evidence that Roddick's strategy is weak and ill-founded. He struck volleys maybe three times a year during his blast-away teens, and while he finally realized that he has the wingspan and athletic ability to do damage at the net, he's paying the price for all those years of baseline monotony.

Traditionally, Roddick was able to destroy players with his inside-out forehand, one of the most punishing shots in tennis. Baghdatis, a marvel of anticipation and panache, consistently returned them with bullet backhand winners down the line. After witnessing that, and other errors of judgment, former tour star Mats Wilander observed that Roddick "didn't coach himself very well in this match" and said he had gone from a "great" player to "totally ordinary."

Roddick's one-year experiment with coach Dean Goldfine was a complete bust. In a move that smacked of desperation, Roddick replaced Goldfine this week with his own brother, John Roddick, a former collegiate All-American who had been training with junior players. While Federer continues to dominate (and cultivate his image, hiring the massive IMG agency to draw endorsements after years of quaint dependence on a four-person management team), Roddick is fast approaching a crossroads. He'll have tough competition in San Jose, including Andre Agassi, Lleyton Hewitt and James Blake, but another spirited run would do wonders for his confidence.

We won't be seeing the women's side of tennis at the SAP, but a few updates might help summon the tennis mood. Martina Hingis, for instance, is making one of sports' most fascinating comebacks in recent years.

Since virtually everyone in the women's game seems to be hurt, sick, depressed or out of shape, Hingis' story might require an asterisk or two. There was a telling moment, however, in Tokyo last weekend. Maria Sharapova, playing Hingis for the first time, found herself run off the court in little more than an hour, 6-3, 6-1.

Whether Hingis is playing at a major-title level remains to be seen (she was routed by Elena Dementieva in the Tokyo final), but here's the point: Sharapova just hasn't seen that type of opponent, nor has anyone else on the tour in recent years. Hingis is a thinker, a purveyor of angles and percentages. It's not in her mind-set to simply crush every ball. At the time of her retirement, she felt humbled and embarrassed by the surge of power in women's tennis, particularly as delivered by Venus and Serena Williams. Things are different now. The Williamses are highly vulnerable; dozens of players can match their pace, and Hingis showed plenty of power in her Australian Open exchanges with U.S. Open champ Kim Clijsters. Nobody out there scares Hingis, and it's a marvelous development to see her back in the mix.

Sadly, the Williamses are becoming a bit of a joke in the catty world of tour gossip. Until they get themselves healthy and dedicated, they will be viewed as vulnerable and eminently beatable. Never underestimate their will; just recall what it took to get them from a Southern California ghetto to the Grand Slam winner's circle, time after time. It's just that they have become touched by comfort and celebrity. Why not open a fashion-design business, if you're Venus? Why not accept an acting role in Hollywood, if you're Serena? In terms of worldliness, humor and style, they're miles ahead of everyone else on tour.

But how much does that matter to Nicole Vaidisova or Francesca Schiavone, to say nothing of such luminaries as Clijsters and Amelie Mauresmo, who just captured her first major at the Australian? Serena was so out of shape in Melbourne, huffing and puffing her way through the few matches she played, observers said it was almost embarrassing to watch. Serena hasn't been completely healthy since her knee surgery, and her mini-careers simply leave no time for diligent practice. Just how is she supposed to get back in form?

The nicest moment at the Australian was the sight of Mauresmo, so often the tormented loser, holding up the trophy. "I have a special bottle of wine I kept for my first Grand Slam title," she said. "It's at home waiting for me very quietly in the dark at the right temperature."

It was a tarnished victory, Mauresmo having benefited from the mid-match retirements of Michaella Krajicek, Clijsters and Justine Henin-Hardenne , but the moment seemed spectacularly appropriate. If only Henin-Hardenne had been received so warmly.

Through the years, we've known Henin-Hardenne as an on-court scrapper and a person willing to fight through pain, whether it was her epic semifinal against Jennifer Capriati at the 2003 U.S. Open or her comeback from injuries and a lengthy viral infection. Suddenly, right there in the second set of the final against Mauresmo, she was quitting. At a time when nothing appeared to be seriously wrong, Henin-Hardenne (losing 1-6, 0-2) walked to the net and told Mauresmo she could not continue.

Later, explaining that she was experiencing intense stomach pain and tired legs, Henin-Hardenne made her biggest mistake. "I wanted to try," she said at her news conference. "When you see it's not working, it's the only way to go out. There's no reason to keep playing."

What? There were countless reasons. For one thing, the long-starved Mauresmo deserved the distinction of walking to the net and waving to the crowd with a complete triumph in hand. For another, Mauresmo might have experienced one of her mental walkabouts and given the match away. More than anything, though, elite tennis players don't give up so easily.

Calling the withdrawal "unprofessional," the venerable Bud Collins wrote in the Boston Globe, "She walked out -- quit! -- on the two legs that had been pumping furiously only minutes before ... leaving a bad taste and a blot on the game."

Former tour player Pam Shriver, generally sympathetic to the players' side, wrote on ESPN.com, "A major final is sacred. Short of any type of major injury, you keep going. To see her call it was stunning to me. My respect level disintegrated, especially when I heard her rationale. Maybe in two months we'll know something more. But for the moment, I think Henin's reputation is tarnished forever."

Andy Roddick can relate to that, although he'd prefer that you eliminate the "forever." His road starts in San Jose, and there will be many obstacles along the way.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums

Last edited by tangerine_dream : 02-12-2006 at 04:59 PM.
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 06:33 PM   #57
country flag partygirl

F- that.
...i also resent this guy calling venus "current wimbledon champ" a bit of a joke?!?
im excising that article from my brain.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:28 PM   #58
heya
Banned!

heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute

Do we need to care about Bruce WHO the "writer"?
heya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 01:33 AM   #59
country flag Noelle

Noelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeNoelle has a reputation beyond repute

Old 02-13-2006, 04:26 PM   #60
country flag Golfnduck

Golfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond reputeGolfnduck has a reputation beyond repute

The reporters keep jumping on Andy's back. They are way to hard on him. I hope Andy wins San Jose and shuts up the critics.

GOOD LUCK TO: ANDY, HAAS, MARDY, BRYANS, JAMES, DJOKOVIC, MOODIE, ROBBY, MOYA, SAFIN, GICQUEL

DAVIS CUP CHAMPS FOR 2007!!!!!!!!!! WAY TO GO USA!!!!!!!
Golfnduck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote