Does Andre have another Slam in him? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-02-2003, 05:50 PM   #1
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Does Andre have another Slam in him?

First, all hail The Man, King Andre

I am reallyreallyreally NOT looking forward to the day when Andre will have to retire! Although Andy Roddick has managed to weasel his way into my affections, Andre will always have my heart.

I desperately want him to win another Slam. This will encourage him to continue playing and perhaps break a few records in the process.

Do you all think Andre will win another Slam next year? With Dent, Roddick, Ferrero, and Federer on the rise, it's going to be harder and harder for him to compete. But he DID win the Australian Open 2003 so he's certainly not out of the game yet.

I'd love to see him win the Aus Open again in 2004. Or maybe Wimbledon. Heck, any slam would be good enough for me!

BTW, Jim Courier said that Andre would make an excellent tennis commentator should he decide to do so after he retires. I would love for him to do this! He's perceptive, opinioned, smart, and has an excellent, soothing speaking voice. And he'll be able stay in front of the camera where he belongs.

I almost can't wait for Jaden and Jaz to grow up and hit the courts.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2003, 05:57 PM   #2
country flag MisterQ

MisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does Andre have another Slam in him?

I sure hope so! I really want him to win Slam No. 9. To have tied with Connors and Lendl is already amazing, but that would put him in a league of his own. And I think it would be an accurate reflection of his amazing talent. So let's hope so.

Australia is always his best bet. Let's hope he is in good form down there! But one of the other three would probably be even more thrilling on his resume.

As far as retiring, I sure hope he sticks around for another year at least. I will be so disappointed when he leaves the game, even though he has already given so much of himself to it.

As far as Andre being a commentator, I think that would be a lot of fun and he could have some great insight!
MisterQ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 04:47 PM   #3
country flag Andre'sNo1Fan

Andre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAndre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAndre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAndre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAndre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAndre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAndre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAndre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAndre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAndre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAndre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond repute

i agree tangerine_dream, i am dreading the day he retires. I like Roger but its just not the same.

I would love to see him win Wimbeldon again, and to gain slam no 9.

One thing i dont want him to do is quit when he's fallen well down the rankings. I'd rather see him retire when he's ahead(which i'm sure he'll do) rather than tarnish his image.

Roll on the masters!!
Andre'sNo1Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 07:26 PM   #4
RebelNYC

RebelNYC has a reputation beyond reputeRebelNYC has a reputation beyond reputeRebelNYC has a reputation beyond reputeRebelNYC has a reputation beyond reputeRebelNYC has a reputation beyond reputeRebelNYC has a reputation beyond reputeRebelNYC has a reputation beyond reputeRebelNYC has a reputation beyond reputeRebelNYC has a reputation beyond reputeRebelNYC has a reputation beyond reputeRebelNYC has a reputation beyond repute

I think Andre's best chance at another Slam is Down Under!
Anything can - and DOES happen down there! I do think that
he has it in him!
RebelNYC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 05:37 AM   #5
doubleafan

doubleafan is a splendid one to beholddoubleafan is a splendid one to beholddoubleafan is a splendid one to beholddoubleafan is a splendid one to beholddoubleafan is a splendid one to beholddoubleafan is a splendid one to beholddoubleafan is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up

Andre is stronger and fitter than before. He will just figure out a way to beat these guys. Just as he did with Hewitt and Ferrero before. Besides, he does not have to beat all these guys all at once. If the draw is helpful, who knows? Like Andre says , you need a little luck to win a Slam.And I think he is due for some luck. He has made strong showings at the French, Wimbledon and the Open last few years.
I think in 2004 he will win at least 2 slams.
doubleafan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 03:59 PM   #6
country flag MisterQ

MisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, 2 slams for 2004! That's thinking positive! (I hope you're right!)

I had a dream last night that Andre won the French again. But that means nothing really, other than I think about tennis too much... lol
Old 11-20-2003, 09:19 PM   #7

Andre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAndre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAndre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAndre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAndre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAndre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAndre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAndre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAndre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAndre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond reputeAndre'sNo1Fan has a reputation beyond repute

Dont worry, I'm the same. I was thinking how great it would be if he could win wimbeldon again after so many yrs. It would be like a dream cos i would be there. Maybe i think of tennis a bit too much as well and should calm it down
Old 11-21-2003, 02:34 AM   #8
country flag MisterQ

I think Andre had a great chance at winning Wimbledon in 2001 when he was up a break in the fifth set against Rafter in the semis! And then he lost it, partially due to that horrible prissy lineswoman. I think Andre would have beaten Goran in the final. But of course, then we wouldn't have had that incredible Rafter/Ivanisevic final, which to this day is one of the most emotional matches I have ever witnessed.

But back to Andre, he can still win Wimbledon, there aren't that many people who can play well on grass. He could have won that Philippoussis match this year -- it could really have gone either way imo. Federer on grass will be a nightmare, though... Let's just hope luck and determination and genius will get Andre through!
Old 11-22-2003, 02:03 PM   #9

I agree Andre is still one of the best players on grass.That match against Philippoussis was horrible, i hated it. I was really painful to watch . Anyways I think he can still do it of course. Just a bit of luck along the way. He can still beat the likes of Roddick and Ferrero on grass no problem. Your right about Federer though, if he's on form its gonna be tough but who knows. While there is Andre there is a way
Old 12-13-2003, 11:57 PM   #10
country flag Dirk

Dirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Never posted here before but I do like Andre cause he is very nice and classy towards the other guys. So nice to see him say good things about Kafel when most of the press bashes him. Andre was very classy at the Cup ceremony. Andre's best chances to win another slam are Oz and Open. He can't win Rg but still go deep which at his age is amazing in itself. Wimbly could happen but he might need some of the draw to open up for him. I do wish he had beaten JC at the Open even though I do like JC because I believe he would have beaten Andy in the final. I see him in the semis or final or winner of Oz, RG another qrt possibly semi, Wimbly is an ?. Open semi or better for 04. I will miss him when he goes and I think the first year he doesn't win an slam will be his last so let's hope he wins something.
Dirk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 01:03 AM   #11
country flag MisterQ

Hi Dirk!

This forum isn't as active as some of the others, but it has really nice bursts of activity, lol!

So come back anytime!
Old 12-14-2003, 01:39 AM   #12
country flag Dirk

Dirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond reputeDirk has a reputation beyond repute

I just have an feeling this will be his last year slam or no slam. His kids are getting older and Jaden is going to start school soon right? I just don't see him on tour in 05. Will be odd with him and Pete gone.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:53 AM   #13
country flag J. Corwin
psychotic banana

J. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond repute

I have a feeling that he will play for at least two more years. Let's hope he plays well, does great things, and play more than just a year.

"For seven and a half years I've worked alongside President Reagan. We've had triumphs. Made some mistakes. We've had some sex...uh...setbacks."
George H.W. Bush, 1988

"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family."
George W. Bush, 2000

15.5 - 40.5 ... 2,1,1 demolition job
(fan club spots are still open! )
J. Corwin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 02:50 AM   #14
country flag Dirk

He will always be in the top 5 for Oz and Open.